Options
1565758596062»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited October 2023
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Finally pulled this 8-track player out from my dad's collection.
    I love the look, and love the music from Flatt & Scruggs, but that crosstalk, ugh...the struggle is real!

You prolly just need a matchbook...

p6bjtf6bebv7.png

;)B):#
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    Is that the matchbook that came with the deck or did you but it separately
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    You prolly just need a matchbook...

p6bjtf6bebv7.png

;)B):#
    That type of 'adjustment' can definitely make a difference. The tolerances of fitment for an 8-track are not very tight...such an odd format.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited October 2023
    Options
    One recently refurbished HH Scott 340 with some vintage friends. All electrolytic and film caps were replaced, some resistors. Some cans were stuffed with new caps, others installed in chassis. Selenium rectifier was replaced with diode bridge.

"Introduced in April 1962, the HH Scott 340 "Stereomaster" tuner-amplifier is rated at 27 watts per channel for a total of 54 watts RMS (advertised at 60 watts output and later 70 watts). The set essentially combines the Scott 350 FM multiplex tuner with the Scott 299C amplifier. It has a total of 20 tubes including four 7591A output tubes and a pair of 5AR4/GZ-34 rectifiers. Advertised price for the 340 was $379.95. The optional case was an additional cost. The set is now often identified as a Scott 340A to distinguish it from the very different 340B."

It bears some scars but sounds really good. Not sold on the blue LED look. Could be I'm stuck in the past with the #47 bare bulb look. They pulse too. You can't see it with your eye but the camera catches it.

The Mitsubishi LT5V is in partial disassembly as the auto return stopped functioning. I had replaced the bulbs in tonearm carrier with LED's (with step down resistors to reduce brightness) last year so it could be a photocell issue. It got knocked off the bench by the 340 and now the Scott 399.

nqaclpbdfmn4.jpg
    4u4qm5m9x0ff.jpg
    7ocsiwl2xvsz.png
    bgsxl352dqbf.png
    rmks3k905ba3.png
    8zgf0zbete6w.png
    o7nfvhc5v7xm.jpg
    777aaimdj8sv.jpg
    kbwo04wf6ose.jpg
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • rceagan
    rceagan Posts: 10
    Options
    'scuse me if this was already posted. crzusttq1n6k.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    rceagan wrote: »
    'scuse me if this was already posted. crzusttq1n6k.jpg

Several times, in different contexts.
    Mostly to illustrate the zenith of decor in early 1960s Britain.
  • newbie308
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    One recently refurbished HH Scott 340 with some vintage friends. All electrolytic and film caps were replaced, some resistors. Some cans were stuffed with new caps, others installed in chassis. Selenium rectifier was replaced with diode bridge.

"Introduced in April 1962, the HH Scott 340 "Stereomaster" tuner-amplifier is rated at 27 watts per channel for a total of 54 watts RMS (advertised at 60 watts output and later 70 watts). The set essentially combines the Scott 350 FM multiplex tuner with the Scott 299C amplifier. It has a total of 20 tubes including four 7591A output tubes and a pair of 5AR4/GZ-34 rectifiers. Advertised price for the 340 was $379.95. The optional case was an additional cost. The set is now often identified as a Scott 340A to distinguish it from the very different 340B."

It bears some scars but sounds really good. Not sold on the blue LED look. Could be I'm stuck in the past with the #47 bare bulb look. They pulse too. You can't see it with your eye but the camera catches it.

The Mitsubishi LT5V is in partial disassembly as the auto return stopped functioning. I had replaced the bulbs in tonearm carrier with LED's (with step down resistors to reduce brightness) last year so it could be a photocell issue. It got knocked off the bench by the 340 and now the Scott 399.

/quote]

Ooh! one of them there new fangled tuners with the built in multiplexer! That's cutting edge!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Ooh! one of them there new fangled tuners with the built in multiplexer! That's cutting edge!

You young guys had it made! We had to wait until June 1, 1961, for stereo FM. :D We just had the short-lived, not the greatest simulcast. Left channel on FM right on AM.

"The FCC authorized regular stereo FM to start June 1, 1961. WGFM (now WRVE, Schenectady, N.Y.) was the first station to go stereo at midnight Eastern time. WEFM Chicago, had to wait an hour later until midnight in the Windy City, as the implementation order specified local time, making them second to go on-air."

The first cutting edge??? An external FM multiplexer, the HH Scott 335. Also available as a partially assembled kit, the LM-35 with black faceplate. Scott had built in multiplexer out/in connections on the 399 so it was ready for FM stereo. I am currently in FM alignment hell....sounds great in mono, FM is distorted.

37gaa5bpyrgb.jpg
    wxarrkrsmi3m.png
    v857dcezli7y.jpg
    wxfp3g3fdg52.jpg
    v5nkbwti9b0t.jpg
    x32s1th0qosf.png

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *