This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2012
    Awesome! Keep them coming guys :-). I have a few pieces that I'll take pics of if I can still find them.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,437
    edited July 2012
    some really cool stuff here
    Randy/Maine
  • hertz9753
    hertz9753 Posts: 310
    edited July 2012
    I woundn't call this hifi, but it was my first amp and I still own it. :smile:

006.jpg

005.jpg
    006.jpg 255.7K
    005.jpg 234.2K
    AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
    Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
    Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 bi-wired(Vr3 Castle Mod)
    Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's<Onkyo TX-NR808
    Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,167
    edited July 2012
    Weren't those Trio integrated amps sold at upscale retailers like Macys, Stix Baer & Fuller, etc ? There was a thread here a couple of years ago that I can't find (search function eludes me) that talked about that, if I remember correctly. Nice looking, good gear. Kenwood.

CNH, liked that Sansui pic; do you have a model number by any chance ?
    Sal Palooza
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,167
    edited July 2012
    Our earliest "stereo" (early 60's) was a Sears fold-down turntable that had speakers that swung open. :redface: I tried to find a pic of that with no luck, but it "kind of" looked like this (pics off of Ebay):

Sears.jpg
    sears 2.jpg

Luckily it was the early 60's, we were only 10 or so, so we didn't know better :biggrin:. It must be said that a lot of vinyl got played .... well, carved ..... while we air-guitared, lip-synched, danced, and played the fools on that little boogar.
    Sal Palooza
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2012
    Our earliest "stereo" (early 60's) was a Sears fold-down turntable that had speakers that swung open. :redface: I tried to find a pic of that with no luck, but it "kind of" looked like this (pics off of Ebay):

Sears.jpg
    sears 2.jpg

Luckily it was the early 60's, we were only 10 or so, so we didn't know better :biggrin:. It must be said that a lot of vinyl got played .... well, carved ..... while we air-guitared, lip-synched, danced, and played the fools on that little boogar.

A friend of mine had something like that and one summer we ran a 50' extension cord from his house to a tent he just bought and we camped out in his backyard listening to Steppenwolf and Black Sabbath albums into the wee hours of the morning and probably giving the suburban neighbors fits! Good times. We finally did go camping at Goldsboro and Tobyhanna State Parks in Pa.

The SANSUI is a QS-1 (I assume the Q is for Quad.).

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited July 2012
    The "TRIO" photos posted earlier are from the Japanese TRIO - known here in the US as "Kenwood". AFAIK, no Kenwood equipment was ever branded "TRIO" in the US. http://www.audio-heritage.jp/TRIO-KENWOOD/index.html
    harman/kardon also once made a vacuum tube amplifier called "Trio", adding a bit to the confusion for us Amurricans.

KA3500p1.jpg

68scott0001.jpg
    68scott0002.jpg

kg0854.jpg

Heathkit0001.jpg

techhificover1978.jpg
  • littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited July 2012
    Here is something from the early 70's. Still going strong.
    Yammie.jpg
  • cnh
    edited July 2012
    Good catch, on Trio. I simply grabbed the best info pics I could off google images.

Getting back the Macys. I lived in NYC through the '80s when they still had a dedicated Hi-fi department that sold some reasonably good pieces. Although I do not remember Kenwood, I do remember them selling Epicure, NHT, and a number of other well-known speakers during that time. Eventually, Audio took a noise dive, disappeared.

Some very nice Yamaha pieces above, with the CA-1000 having Class A capability!

The lights on my CR-800 (all) finally blew out last week during one of the hottest days of the year, the amp and tuner are OK, though. I run some ADS L520s on that 50 watt Yamaha that are, almost, to die for!

cnh

• littlewoodboats
    edited July 2012
    cnh wrote: »

Some very nice Yamaha pieces above, with the CA-1000 having Class A capability!

The lights on my CR-800 (all) finally blew out last week during one of the hottest days of the year, the amp and tuner are OK, though. I run some ADS L520s on that 50 watt Yamaha that are, almost, to die for!

cnh

With the exception of the red indicators on the tuner all of my bulbs are out. I am on the schedule to send both pieces in for a full overhaul\update once this house sale silliness is over and done with.

The CA-1000 does not receive much in the way of love due to the lack of meters. I will take Class A and four ohm stable over meters any day. My SDA-2A's seem to like it. :cheesygrin: Runs in my office all day every day and sounds better than most anything I have heard around here. (not saying much as I seem to be in the minority around here with a dedicated two channel system)

If you look in the Yamaha section over at AK someone has led replacements for all of the lights in a choice of colors.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited July 2012
    Here's a little contribution:
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2012
    Is that Michael Jackson in a dress? Look at that nose!

I'd love to have a CA-1000! For the record, I do have a CA-2010, but I've never even had the nerve to plug it in & see if it works. Farking beautiful piece of hardware it is, though...
  • littlewoodboats
    edited July 2012
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I'd love to have a CA-1000! For the record, I do have a CA-2010, but I've never even had the nerve to plug it in & see if it works. Farking beautiful piece of hardware it is, though...

I bought both pieces at a garage sale for $50.00 in the original boxes with manuals. :cool: The CA-2010 is supposed to be a great piece. If you ever decide you want to sell the CA-2010 let me know. The 2010 was still four ohm stable where the receivers were not by that time. I smoked my old CR-840 testing my SDA's. (I felt bad about that as I had owned it since new)
  • vstarkwell
    vstarkwell Posts: 328
    edited July 2012
    I'm loving this thread, so I'll add this in seeing as I have one.

NormendeCaruso3.jpg
    Monitor 7C's With Tubes
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2012
    I am sure youse guyses have seen my CA-800, but, what the heck, here it is again...
    This is the only 'good' photo I have handy of it, so you have to kind of look past the Korean-made Sherwood amp :-)

P1030167.jpg

Note that the CA-800 was running in Class A when the photo was snapped.
  • littlewoodboats
    edited July 2012
    My CA-1000 is stuck in Class A. The manual says to never switch back an forth while powered on. Going from A to B was not a problem. Switching from B to A with the power on would often arc and weld the switch in the A position. It is repairable with minimal fuss and expense. Original owners were good about that sort of thing but the second and third hand stuff often suffers from this issue.

I have listened to the modern AS-500 and I would not trade my old fossil for one.
  • cnh
    edited July 2012
    We've seen this one on this site before, but it's still my favorite lower power HK. Sounds absolutely "fantastic' driving a pair of vintage Dynaco A25s. The HK 430 (Twin Power).

cnh

• mhardy6647
    edited July 2012
    I have a really homely hk430... but it was free :-)
    It is a wonderful receiver as well as, IMNSHO, an unusually beautifully styled one.
    The hk430 is, rather famously, regarded in certain circles as virtuallly the only solid state amplifier/receiver to complement the Klipsch "heritage" speaker systems (specifically, the rather rough-n-tumble Heresy). It was also, in its day, a very popular complement for the Polk Audio Monitor Series models 7 and 10. Great sounding tuner, too. What a package!

whatmore.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2012
    Happy Fourth of July, all; shall we get a tad jiggy wit' it, then?

scan-2.jpg
    SynergisticsS-72Aphotospecs.jpg
    scan0003-2.jpg
    scan0001-2.jpg
    scan0001-3.jpg

TX-2.jpg
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited July 2012
    Wow! Vintage audio eye ****! This is, without question, one of my fave threads in a long time. Thanks so much for starting it - & for keeping it going!

My earliest audio memories are of a Dynaco amp paired with KLH model 6's. Great times spent with that combo.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • littlewoodboats
    edited July 2012
    My father had the JVC shown above. I was never allowed to touch it. and I never did :rolleyes:

Other than places like Velleman is there any kit gear still out there? Building a good old school Solid State amp sounds like fun.

Great thread.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2012
    are there any kit suppliers nowadays?
    Probably more than ever before!

Here's a smattering...

www.bottlehead.com
    www.s5electronics.com
    www.dynakitparts.com
    http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Home.html
    http://www.diyhifisupply.com/

The solid state stuff tends more towards board level kits (not complete kits with chassis, panels, an cabinet) but there are many of those, too.
  • lanchile
    lanchile Posts: 560
    edited July 2012
    I got this like in mint condition inside of a plastic bag in an attic of my friend. all is original and working.I took the bottom that has the legs to take pictures inside that is why it looks low to the floor. Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
    Make it simple...Make it better!
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2012
    SX-727, is it? :-)
    One of those in the basement... no photos handy, though...

scan0002.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
  • lanchile
    lanchile Posts: 560
    edited July 2012
    you are right mhardy6647 ! it is the Pioneer SX-727. too bad I do not have use for it.
    Make it simple...Make it better!
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2012
    No real use for mine, either - I just like the looks of it.
    Here's another one I had no use for... gave this to a guy on Audioasylum who enjoys restoring and collecting vintage HH Scott solid state receivers. It is beautifully made, and it has a very good tuner in it...

DSC_1540.jpg
    DSC_1537.jpg
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,918
    edited July 2012
    I think the whole package was way too expensive for just plain common kids.Besides the quad reciever,4 speakers and uber expensive lps and the tt, moms just couldn't let you spend that kind of cash. I think the lps were gold colored.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited July 2012
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    No real use for mine, either - I just like the looks of it.
    Here's another one I had no use for... gave this to a guy on Audioasylum who enjoys restoring and collecting vintage HH Scott solid state receivers. It is beautifully made, and it has a very good tuner in it...

DSC_1540.jpg
    DSC_1537.jpg

My Dad had that Scott, all the dual ring, metal knobs split apart eventually. It really sounded great powering some old Dynacos !!!
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2012
    another old Scott. This one was given to a collector of early ss hifi in Kansas a while back. One channel was weak in it as found.

DSC_1553.jpg
    scott386above.jpg
    DSC_1556.jpg

68scott.jpg

... and this, slightly later but still US-made, Scott...

357frontal.jpg
    357below.jpg
    357above.jpg

(this one works fine, aside from all the dial lamps being out)
  • Leftplumma
    Leftplumma Posts: 88
    edited July 2012
    Ok I couldn't resist......
    Here's a Pic. of my nearly 40 year old BA 5000.
    The thing is mint and plays fantastic!!!
    BA 5000.jpg
    Polk SDA 1.2 TL
    Infinity SSW-210
    Integra DTR 7.1
    Pioneer SC-57 Elite
    Sony X777ES
    Sansui BA-5000
    Hafler XL 600's in mono w/ George Kay Audio Tube upgrades
    Hafler xl 600 stock
    Krell FPB 600
    Avel 1000VA Dreadnought