This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• PreCd
    PreCd Posts: 786
    edited September 2012
    I believe he got it back just last month.
    All the Scott tube gear I have heard is just awe inspiring not to mention some of the quietest phono stages I have heard. Was wondering when your brother had it done because I might have had my ears on it.

Finished one of the s-5000 yesterday, also had a hand in the first biasing mods we have done for one.

Also got a visitor burning in for the weekend.
    Attachment not found.

It is playing with a cd player, the parasound and mains in my sig.
    SDA2BTL
    Marantz CD5004
    Adcom GFA-545
    Bottlehead Quickie Tube Preamp
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited September 2012
    Yup, I have had my ears on it. Crap, I might have even rebuilt it.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited September 2012
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited September 2012
    Did you grow those yourself?
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited September 2012
    In New Hampshire, these sprout just like the granite stones I dig out of my lawn all summer long!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• mhardy6647
    edited September 2012
    If I used more fertilizer they might mature into SDAs...
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited September 2012
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    DSC_5417.jpg

Man that is an awesome view. Congrats.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited September 2012
    "Man that is an awesome view. Congrats."

I agree. It is a rarity to see pristine Monitor 7s out in the wild.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2012
    The Minimonitors hadn't sprouted yet when the photo was taken...
  • TitaniumMan
    TitaniumMan Posts: 93
    edited September 2012
    Remember when the Japanese companies were in a race to virtually eliminate THD? I've tried to find, specifically, the Kenwood receiver ads from that time, but my old hifi mags are MIA. I thought the claim was .003% THD, but possibly even lower. Most audiophiles claimed these products were the most vile things ever foisted on listeners.

I'd like to find one or two of those vile things and decide for myself.
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2012
    techhifiAccuphaseCrown.jpg

Tempted to say "from the sublime to the ridiculous"... but the Crown power amps actually don't sound too bad. Their preamps, though, are another story entirely...

crownies.jpg
  • littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited October 2012
    I am not sure if this counts. It is a custom piece done by a design engineer at White Instruments and a Tech at an Austin company referred to as HiFink. Late 60's design/build. Done as a prototype that is still in service I am told.

Some of the old techies might recognize the volume pot as it is a Mac piece taken out of the spare parts bin.

Ph1_back.jpg
    Ph1_front.jpg
    Ph1_interior.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2012
    It's beautiful :-)
  • littlewoodboats
    edited October 2012
    It's beautiful :-)

You are just saying that, right? Even the designer says it is the ugliest piece of gear to ever come from his board. Frank Lloyd Wright said it best "form follows function"

The guy is a computer geek for the last 30+ years. I have been up his can to get back into audio. I had to buy my adcom as his promised Pheta 2 passive pre is still long gone. 12 boards exist but have never been populated.

I am promised the second prototype for a/b testing to the GFP-750. I am not holding my breath for delivery

Barrier strips are a thing of the past but as I am told the easiest way to eliminate power supply noise is to not have one.

If nothing else I gave you something that no one has ever seen
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2012
    No, I was completely serious. It is functional and nicely made. Not mil-spec but neat and tidy and purposeful.

In fact, it reminded me of an interesting DIY (not by me) preamp I have at home - when I get a chance, I'll take and post a coupla photos.
  • littlewoodboats
    edited October 2012
    Everyone I meet in day to day life would say that is the ugliest thing they have ever seen.

Funny you would mention mil-spec. Everyone involved has done that work

If it had remote volume I would be using one now
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2012
    well, I can actually kind of tell that :-)
    That said, when I think of "mil spec" I think of hand-laced wiring harnesses; the wiring in that little pre-amp is neat, but not at that level.

The PCB looks to be mil-spec glass epoxy, and those deep yellow capacitors are not, shall we say, cheap, offbrand junk :-)
  • littlewoodboats
    edited October 2012
    well, I can actually kind of tell that :-)
    The PCB looks to be mil-spec glass epoxy, and those deep yellow capacitors are not, shall we say, cheap, offbrand junk :-)

Cost was never a concern. Peter used to joke that suppliers gave away the best parts but sold the junk. (if mil-spec parts can be refereed to as junk)

The thought process back then was never build what you can buy. The guy that built this unit was the head teck at a McIntosh dealer going back to the mid 1950's. Old geezers rock

This is the first time photos of that unit have been made public. Not like their egos needed stroking but they both think it is cool as hell that someone liked the work.

More to come
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    edited October 2012
    Waiting for some parts so the DAC project is stalled. Cold and rain outside, perfect to clean and lube this old '73 Pioneer RT-71 RTR. Needs a VU meter bulb, a tiny screw base. Haven't seen one of them in a long time.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for sharing those photos; that's not a common deck - I've certainly never encountered one in the flesh.
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2012
    It's very clean and shows light use. Thanks Ed! The belts are somewhat stiff but pliable enough to work. Probably best to invest in some. The one working direction light went out too. Quiet deck in my system, no buzz or hums.

Jasper likes it and claimed it, but would like a larger one he can fit and lay on comfortably. ;)

pio_rt71_4.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2012
    Very nice unit Rich! It looks awesome. I'm sure it sounds great also.

I see Jasper likes the R2R also. LOL!
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited October 2012
    Hey Carl! My listening buddy likes them turning reels. Gotta watch him at rewind time when the tape slips off the feed reel and skips around.
  • KiTsuNe
    KiTsuNe Posts: 74
    edited October 2012
    5nix03.jpg

My 2-channel as it currently sits. I am in the middle of making some custom stands for the DQ-10's since the originals dont place them high enough for me. I think this is considered vintage? I'm never sure. The picture is currently missing the SL-7
    HT: M5510-Prox2/PN51E550/NR708/M282(3)/RTi A7/CSi A6/FXi A6/DSWPro660x2/PS3/HTPC
    Office: Belkin PF60/PN43E450/Marantz 1501/PSB 400/Image C4/WD Live TV
    2-Channel: Yamaha C4/M4(2)/DQ-10's/DQ-1w(2)/SBT/Pioneer R2Rl/Technics SL-7/AR EB101
    Desk: QSC RMX850/Behringer B2030P
  • tx_polkhead
    tx_polkhead Posts: 248
    edited October 2012
    Harmon Kardon 330B damn near as old as I, mate beautifully with SDA CRS+'s. If 20 watts can sound this rich I wonder what big boy watts will sound like...
    Polk Audio RTA 12c's, Monitor 7c, Monitor 5JR+, SDA CRS+
  • gigbyt
    gigbyt Posts: 145
    edited October 2012
    cats on gear always make me laugh.
  • gigbyt
    gigbyt Posts: 145
    edited October 2012
    as long its someone elses gear that is, LOL.
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2012
    Kittehs and moving reel to reel tape are not a good combination; don't ask me how I know this.

Meanwhile, back on topic (and 100% kitteh free by design, with a door to keep 'em out and everything)...

rrrack101412.jpg
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2012
    Kittehs and moving reel to reel tape are not a good combination; don't ask me how I know this.

I can imagine! Nice DIY flexi rack, although it doesn't look like it would flex at all.:cool:

I trust my cat more with my audio gear than some people I know. He has good listening taste as well.:biggrin:
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2012
    Our pair o'kittehs are OK in general around the hifi - but Zappa did once, as implied above, make a move on a playing tape one day with predictable results.

... and back on topic...

yamahae1011412.jpg