This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited July 2012
    nice, serious piece of hardware, the BA-5000.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited July 2012
    This one interests me a little..... Almost looks like B&O stuff of much more recent times!:wink:
    Braun

braun-hifi1.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2012
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,167
    edited July 2012
    A bump, and a question:

The Heathkit Linear Phase speakers from the late 70's; didn't another major manufacturer have similiar looking speakers with a "Linear Phase" or "Phased Array" promotion during the mid-to-late 70's ?
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2012
    Yup, Technics, for one.
    The idea of "time alignment" was fashionable in the late 1970s. Other examples include the KEF 105 (a true **** of a speaker!) and... umm... the Polk "Real Time Array" tweeter installation on the RTA-12/Monitor 12 :-)
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2012
    A bump, and a question:

The Heathkit Linear Phase speakers from the late 70's; didn't another major manufacturer have similiar looking speakers with a "Linear Phase" or "Phased Array" promotion during the mid-to-late 70's ?

When I see designs like that so "early" I "really" have to wonder when people say that we've made quantum leaps in speaker engineering in the last decade or two. Dome tweeters (very early), we saw racetrack passives and drivers yesterday in KEFs, there were Beryllium tweeters in very early Yamahas. Ribbons and planar designs have been around since at least the KLH 9s if not before, coax horn mounted Altec Lansings woofers, bass reflex, Acoustic Suspension, Aperiodic, Transmission Line, infinite baffle and so on. Early, early, early

If one wants to argue that crossovers have become more sophisticated and complex. Some of my favorite speakers have "minimalist" crossover designs that try not to get in the way of the music. And what about things like Carver's Amazings--with what kind of crossover? 100 Hz? And what about the ideal point source (the "single" driver unit with NO crossover at all!).

So when I see a crossover that's the size of a small tube amp. I just shake my head. And think, there could be "less" there and maybe that would be "more"? The ideal is to "eliminate" the crossover not "over-engineer" it! As far as I know, my eardrums have no crossovers. lol

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2012
    Magnavox invented the loudspeaker as we know it in the nineteen-teens and Western Electric perfected it by the early 1930s.
    Everything else since has been marketing.
    ;-)

Actually, your ears do have crossovers in the sense that different patches of cilia in the inner ear respond to different sound frequencies; there is a lot of signal processing done by the CPU though :-)
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited July 2012
    This thread has been reported for all of the **** in it!! :cheesygrin::cheesygrin:
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,167
    edited July 2012
    Not derailing, but archive.org has a lot of older RCA Victor, etc company films available that are pretty darn interesting, especially so, IMO, for the mid- to late- 50's.
    Movement from "hi fidelity" to "stereo", different technology (4-track tape cassette !).

Just typing in "stereo" in the search function brings up a list of cool stuff to watch.
    Be aware, though, that the people used in the filming make Ozzie and Harriet look like crack dealers.

http://archive.org/search.php?query=stereo%20AND%20collection%3Aprelinger

Having my memory jogged, here's a pic of a Technics SB 7000 (late 70's). Never heard one, never even saw one in person, but as mhardy mentioned, they were marketed, and marketed heavily:

925_pict_big_technics_sb007_b.jpg
    Sal Palooza
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited July 2012
    Here's a few I worked on over the past month, not actual pics, stolen from the interwebs,
    1054d1114286842-hh-scott-tube-integrated-amp-model-299-stereomaster-1960-vintage-phono-preamp-s2.jpg

$(KGrHqNHJC8E-m8BedrvBPyneH)wcQ~~60_57.JPG

^^Gold faced version of this...I want one!^^
    Fisher+500B.jpg

hh-scott-222c-refurbished-1.jpg

There have been a few more, I have two preamps on my bench right now, can't remember model #s right now, one is 95% done, clean and tubes tested.....just waiting on parts to come in, and the other is cleaned, tubes tested and opened up waiting for me to start as long as parts come in they will both be done tomorrow.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2012
    Not derailing, but archive.org has a lot of older RCA Victor, etc company films available that are pretty darn interesting, especially so, IMO, for the mid- to late- 50's.
    Movement from "hi fidelity" to "stereo", different technology (4-track tape cassette !).

Just typing in "stereo" in the search function brings up a list of cool stuff to watch.
    Be aware, though, that the people used in the filming make Ozzie and Harriet look like crack dealers.

http://archive.org/search.php?query=stereo%20AND%20collection%3Aprelinger

Having my memory jogged, here's a pic of a Technics SB 7000 (late 70's). Never heard one, never even saw one in person, but as mhardy mentioned, they were marketed, and marketed heavily:

925_pict_big_technics_sb007_b.jpg

The "time aligned" Technics speakers aren't bad, actually. A pair of the smallest ones, SB-4500A to be exact, passed through my lair for a while. They were sensitive and fairly dynamic; "great for tube amps", as they say (ahem). :-) The bigger ones, with substantially better drivers, were even better.

dumpdivehifi.jpg

Also, it will be recalled that the, umm... laid back stance of the orignal "PolkStand" was touted as a way to time-align the drivers :-)

earlypolkfamilyportrait.jpg

dudeinaroom, here's one I re-habbed for a local colleague a few years back; fine sounding amplifier (albeit not a Scott)...

P1020673.jpg
  • dudeinaroom
    edited July 2012
    400c_160_465119.jpg

Have 2 of these on my bench right now waiting for parts to come in.

Have also had my hands in one of these
    stereomaster_340_1093684.jpg

Gold face and light up dial are pretty cool looking.

GRRRRR......Craig is going to turn me into a tube guy, I can feel it.
  • dudeinaroom
    edited July 2012
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

dudeinaroom, here's one I re-habbed for a local colleague a few years back; fine sounding amplifier (albeit not a Scott)...

P1020673.jpg

I believe I have had my hands on one of those too, can't remember, I've been turning out an average of 3 pieces a week . I know for sure I have had my hands on at least 4 Fishers, a Pilot, and a good hand full of Scotts. I am loving every minute of it, only problem is time flies by when I'm working. Well, I guess that's not a problem.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    edited July 2012
    A gift from a friend. Thanks Ed!

A Mitsubishi LT-5V, a vertical belt drive linear tracking turntable from the late '70's (IIRC) complete with AT cartridge. I have the gooey old belt material cleaned off and some new ones ordered.

Mitltv5_1.jpg

Mitltv5_2.jpg

Mitltvd5_3.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited July 2012
    I have never seen one like that.Nice gift.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2012
    A vertical TT! Now that is really "cool". Does anyone know if any other manufacturers came out with similar designs?

I have NO doubt that there must be a "vertical" unit by Bang and Olufsen (that goes without saying since they seem to love the upright position).

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2012
    I'm into the Lafayette stuff, have several receivers. These days partsexpress.com is very similar, just has less audio components. The LR9090 receiver is a favorite, my first receiver. They were all made in japan and sounded very good!
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Turbota
    Turbota Posts: 255
    edited August 2012
    I was really happy with the performance of my old Pioneer stuff. Moved out of the country and gave it all away to a friend.

Bought it new while stationed in Korea in 1978. Worked like a charm for so many many years!

Used to power a set of Pioneer HPM-1500 speakers with this setup.

PioneerSpec14.jpg
    2-Channel Audio
    Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
    Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
    Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
    Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
    Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited August 2012
    ^Thats some right purdy stuff!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited August 2012
    stack of gear.JPG

Not the best pic, but a few of my older pieces including a Sansui 4000, Lafayette LR-4000, Sherwood 7100A, JVC R S33, and a Yamaha YP 211 turntable. To the left side you can see a Tandberg 1040 and a Dual 1225 on top.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited August 2012
    I hope he said thank you over and over again. Beautiful gear
    Turbota wrote: »
    I was really happy with the performance of my old Pioneer stuff. Moved out of the country and gave it all away to a friend.

Bought it new while stationed in Korea in 1978. Worked like a charm for so many many years!

Used to power a set of Pioneer HPM-1500 speakers with this setup.

PioneerSpec14.jpg
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited August 2012
    I suspect that if the vertical TT was a good or even viable idea long term......we'd be seein' them all over the place. We don't. I can only imagine how tracking force/weight was attempted to be regulated ! Nope, horizontal is the ticket !:cheesygrin:
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2012
    The arm would have been dynamically balanced (i.e., use springs instead of weights). There's actually a lot to be said for dynamic balanced arms - they don't require the tt to be level. The old Dual operating manuals proudly describe how to demonstrate their dynamically balanced arms by playing a record with one's turntable canted at an odd angle by, e.g., jamming a couple of books under it! Indeed, it's possible (although tricky) to flip such a turntable upside-down and play a record.

Take a look at the page labeled "3" (page 8 of 16 in the PDF file) of the 1019 manual available at http://www.vinylengine.com/ve_downloads/index.php?dual/dual_1019.pdf
    (free registration required at the site to view/download docs - and well worth it if one's interested in turntables...)
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2012
    Mark, your post reminded me that once upon a time I had a Micro Seiki MA505 mounted on a Nottingham Spacedeck. It was a dynamic balanced arm with the spring in the counterweight tube. You could change VTF while the record was playing. IIRC I could also do VTA on the fly (fairly sure it was a MK II arm). Not my pic but same arm.

micro_dd8_ma505.jpg

I have no desire to dig into the box around the Mitsubishi's arm since it all works after new belts and a tune up. A working conversation piece, kewl! It actually sounds pretty good. Can't embed but here is a short youtube video of the table in operation.

http://youtu.be/T8OjlcJjSEE
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited August 2012
    Hey Rich, if you've got a weekend :wink: and a couple dollars :wink: you can undertake the simple :wink: mods undertaken by this guy on a Mitsu LT-5V here. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/173341-my-last-turntable.html

That is seriously one of the coolest build threads I've ever seen. (I'm partial to your Lenco one, too!)

I've got a Mitsubishi LT-20 linear tracker in my bedroom rig, which I'm quite fond of. Standard orientation, though!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2012
    Hey Jay! Yeah, I've seen that thread! Lots of work. I recall you telling me you had that table. I prefer the horizontal orientation myself. Despite the small investment I have in it (~15% of what I did have) it would take one hell of a table to knock the Lenco off the rack.

Say, this is vintage. My old heavy platter Lenco L75, four speed, idler drive turntable, bought beat up, cheap.

lenco_1.jpg

This is what it looks like now.

lenco_1-1-1.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2012
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2012
    Almost $400 back in those days, for a 35wpc, straight stereo receiver, whose only "features" would be an AUX input and a Tape Monitor loop.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2012
    Almost $400 back in those days, for a 35wpc, straight stereo receiver, whose only "features" would be an AUX input and a Tape Monitor loop.

and that price doesn't allow for a number of hours of sweat equity... yeah, Heathkit stuff was never exactly inexpensive.
  • wxcarne89
    wxcarne89 Posts: 20
    edited August 2012
    I thought I'd post some pics of the Fisher 800B i'm working on, (there's also a pioneer sx-820 pictured, replacing leaking capacitorsin power supply).Sorry the pics suck!

It sounds great but I still got a lot of issues to work out. I still need to get my knob brights and dial lights installed too. my big issue is that when playing music from AUX or tuner the volume is inadequate, but through the tape section volume is perfect. Most of my tubes are still original though, so I imagine replacing preamp tubes may fix the issue. This unit was a great find for $30 locally!

IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1027.jpg
    New to the forums, and home theatre.
    This will become my secondary system in the fall or spring, but it consists of:
    Front: Polk Monitor 40's on 36" Bell-O stands
    Front B: Klipsch F-10
    Center: Polk CS-2
    Rear: Polk Monitor 40's
    Subwoofer: Klipsch Sub-12
    Receiver: Yamaha HTR-6130
    Cd Player: Kenwood Dv-605 dvd player to play data disks.
    Macbook pro/External Blu Ray as a HTPC for media.