Building 400 wpc Tube Monoblocks....

Comments

• michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,165
    edited October 2010
    Looks like a great project John.
    Is the amp gonna have auto-bias or manual bias for the power tubes?
    Are you installing a switch to go from ultralinear to triode mode?
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited October 2010
    This is just one reason I am glad I joined this forum....

John the granite looks outstanding and just the chassis are spectacular. The detail work outside makes me wonder the detail you are going to take on the wiring which no one will see but you and us (via pictures).
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited October 2010
    Updated pics with the binding posts, input terminals and EIC connectors in place...

Wiring will begin as soon as I research what will be best for them.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    Looks like a great project John.
    Is the amp gonna have auto-bias or manual bias for the power tubes?
    Are you installing a switch to go from ultralinear to triode mode?

The tubes will be auto-bias and there will be switching for ultralinear and triode modes...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited October 2010
    Wiring will begin as soon as I research what will be best for them.
    Doesn't Bob already know that?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited October 2010
    The front end is tubed, using two 12ax7's. I am going to be learning a bunch of terminology as these progress and I assume that power rectification is one of them.:eek::)

Not likely. I suspect it is SS retification.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Doesn't Bob already know that?

It appears by looking at the photographs I have that the wire used is common copper wire. I am looking into silver.

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2010
    I'd look into a better RCA jack too, if you're going all out, at least used a gold plated copper jack. Vampire, WBT, etc... As for wire, Neotech solid core teflon jacket chassis wire is excellent.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    Face wrote: »
    I'd look into a better RCA jack too, if you're going all out, at least used a gold plated copper jack. Vampire, WBT, etc... As for wire, Neotech solid core teflon jacket chassis wire is excellent.

Those are rhodium plated jacks from Cardas...

• SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited October 2010
    I can't wait to hear these John
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    I can't either Mike... I look forward to hearing them too.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited October 2010
    You got balls of steel. Will these ship with a forklift included for placement?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    steveinaz wrote: »
    You got balls of steel. Will these ship with a forklift included for placement?

The original variant of these amps ship at 47 pounds. I expect these will be in the 65 to 70 pound range.

• bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited October 2010
    So how in the world are you going to power this? You going to have a dedicated circuit for them at your house?
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited October 2010
    Those are some nice looking amps you are building.

I would love to hear them some day.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    So how in the world are you going to power this? You going to have a dedicated circuit for them at your house?

They can be powered off the 15 amp circuit in the house, but when we move, I will have a 20 amp setup for them.

• nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    Just a bit of an update... I have settled on using a bird's-eye Maple for the side panels. The wood will be stained in a warm, natural color with a satin finish. The rear of the amp is being treated to hand-painted lettering for the inputs/outputs/fuses and other details on the back. The stainless trim rings are being plated in silver.

I have also ordered new tube sockets as I was unhappy with the fit of the originals. Once I have them, I will begin wiring them up, and in a month or so, when Bob is ready, I will fit the transformers and order up some cryo-treated KT-120's.

Pics to follow on Monday or Tuesday next week!

• ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited October 2010
    I wonder how you will be soldering silver / silver-plated wire, which requires tons of heat to properly reflow/attach. It is damaging to the components, if not done properly/professionally.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited October 2010
    ViperZ wrote: »
    I wonder how you will be soldering silver / silver-plated wire, which requires tons of heat to properly reflow/attach. It is damaging to the components, if not done properly/professionally.

Heat sinks~they take the heat off on a different path. It's AMAZING how much heat can be dissipated in this way.

for example:

DSC02814.jpg
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    ^^^what he said!:D:cool:

I can honestly say this is the most FUN I have ever had in this hobby! Seeing everything in my mind come together in the form of something that will be as much a work of art as it will be functional has inspired me to do even more....

Bob has given his full support and blessings to my doing a limited run of these amps, so long as they are as good in person as they are in pictures. Bob now wants to have me ship these to him for evaluation when I am done. I guess that makes these "prototypes".:):)

• wz2p7j
    wz2p7j Posts: 840
    edited October 2010
    That is awesome!! What's next - a "Club Nooshinjohn?" :biggrin::biggrin:

Chris
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited October 2010
    ^^^what he said!:D:cool:

I can honestly say this is the most FUN I have ever had in this hobby! Seeing everything in my mind come together in the form of something that will be as much a work of art as it will be functional has inspired me to do even more....

Bob has given his full support and blessings to my doing a limited run of these amps, so long as they are as good in person as they are in pictures. Bob now wants to have me ship these to him for evaluation when I am done. I guess that makes these "prototypes".:):)

That's great!! Be sure to keep us posted.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • ecod123
    ecod123 Posts: 379
    edited October 2010
    John,
    Great work and great pics! Will be checking in on this thread for your progress. Labor of love but that's going to be one sweet tube amp!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    ecod123 wrote: »
    John,
    Great work and great pics! Will be checking in on this thread for your progress. Labor of love but that's going to be one sweet PAIR of tube amps!

Fixed!:biggrin:

And thanks for the kind words.:cool:

• ecod123
    ecod123 Posts: 379
    edited October 2010
    Fixed!:biggrin:

And thanks for the kind words.:cool:

LOL! I drooling over your tube amps and forgot my grammar.

Or were you going to ship one of them to me, so that would technically make it "one sweet amp" for you.:biggrin:

Best DIY tube amp project I have seen in a long while!
  • EndersShadow
    edited October 2010
    thanks for giving me something to look @ while in the hospital this weekend... :)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    thanks for giving me something to look @ while in the hospital this weekend... :)

And perhaps something to listen to if you want to make a trip to Lafayette one of these days.:smile:

Get well soon!

• EndersShadow
    edited October 2010
    And perhaps something to listen to if you want to make a trip to Lafayette one of these days.:smile:

Get well soon!

lol, trust me I have already thought that. Just happy at this point they are going to let me eat. Been Wends since I had food and that sucks lol......
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited October 2010
    Just a bit of an update... I have settled on using a bird's-eye Maple for the side panels. The wood will be stained in a warm, natural color with a satin finish. The rear of the amp is being treated to hand-painted lettering for the inputs/outputs/fuses and other details on the back. The stainless trim rings are being plated in silver.

I'm going to suggest using stainless steel for the side panels since you are using some elsewhere. When using too many different materials things start looking out of place. I would also suggest not plating the trim rings.

Stainless steel and granite is manly, adding wood to the mix says kitchen ****.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited October 2010
    Aye Aye,,Cap'n :smile:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)