Building 400 wpc Tube Monoblocks....

Options

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited November 2010
    Options
    But I am not as thrilled with them as I had hoped. they are "on-spec" but they are rather small in size. They are 450v/470uf 105c Panasonics, but I am thinking of getting some Italian-made Kendeil's of the same values. They are, I have learned, the same brand of Cap used by Krell and a few other very high-end brands. Any input on this?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I have used the Ruby Gold caps on my tube amps before with good success. Whether they would be better than the Panasonics, I don't know; but it's something different.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2010
    Options
    thanks Zingo... I don't see that the Ruby's are availble in the range that I need, but I will keep looking.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • zingo
    edited November 2010
    Options
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2010
    Options
    There's always Jensen and Mundorf.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Here is the specsheet for the ones I have...

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/electronic-components/parametric-search.aspx?src=/www-cgi/jvcr21pz.cgi?E%2BPZ%2B3%2BABA0033%2B4%2B%2BAM

I may be wrong on this, but these seem a bit weak given the application. These are what I am thinking about...

http://www.kendeil.com/doc/K02/K02450471__M0G079.pdf

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The Panasonic link gives 400+ results.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2010
    Options
    looks like the link is no good... here are the specs for the Panasonic

SMD Not SMD
    Body shape Snap-in type (2 terminal, terminal length=4.0mm)
    Polarty type Polar
    Rated voltage 450 (V)
    Capacitance 470 (micro F)
    Tolerance on capacitance -20 to 20 (%)
    Tangent of loss angle(max.) 0.2
    Leakage current(max.) 1379 (micro A)
    Category temperature range -25 to 105 (Cel)
    Body diameter 30 (mm)
    Body length 50 (mm)
    Lead(terminal) pitch 10 (mm)
    Rated ripple current-1(freq.) 120 (Hz)
    Rated ripple current-1 1740 (mA)
    Rated ripple current-1(unit) mA r.m.s.(root mean square)
    Impedance-1(frequency) −
    Impedance-1(max. value) −
    E.S.R.-2(freq.) −
    E.S.R.-2(max. value) −
    Endurance 2000 (h)
    Forming & packaging feature Bulk(no lead/terminal forming)
    Appearance Sheathinges other than a P.V.C. sleeve(metal case)
    Quantity(min. packaging unit) 100 (PCS.)

• nooshinjohn
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I have selected ViaBlue Tri-Absorbers to be used as feet for my amps...

http://www.viablue.de/com/absorber_tri_black.shtml

I think for the money spent, that these should be a beautiful addition to the Statements.:cool:

• AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited November 2010
    Options
    incredible

parts and inventory lists for the space shuttle...
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The first tube, test fit through the granite deck... The effect is even more stunning in person.
    478.JPG 103.3K
    483.JPG 97.9K
    482.JPG 109.4K
    479.JPG 116.9K

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited November 2010
    Options
    looking good....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Thanks man! I should have the 12ax7's and the feet next week.

• SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Where's the solder?
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2010
    Options
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    Where's the solder?

The wiring begins next week.:smile:

• nooshinjohn
    edited December 2010
    Options
    OK guys... another update. The wiring has been pretty straightforward, and looks pretty good. I just recieved the KT120's today, so final positioning and bonding the granite to the chassis will be getting done sometime this week, and I am working up a parts list for ordering the smaller caps and resistors and such that I will need to finish the wiring.

The bottom plates and the wood inserts for the sides are being cut this week as well. I have chosen Chinese Burled Elm, mirror matched for the sides.

More pics to follow, so stay tuned!

• ecod123
    ecod123 Posts: 379
    edited December 2010
    Options
    John,

Looking real good!!

Those Viablue feets are great looking. Where are you ordering yours from?
  • nooshinjohn
    edited December 2010
    Options
    And for some updated pictures...

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Holy crap John, those look awesome. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • zingo
    edited December 2010
    Options
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Looks sexy!

You're not going to run those tubes though when you first fire it up are you? :eek:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited December 2010
    Options
    They look phenomenal (my favorite and most overused word according to the wife). Now that I am able to drive I may have to come up for a visit in the next week or so to see them in person. I promise I will bring my own rag to wipe the drool from my face. :tongue::wink::biggrin:

Just so I know would Saturdays work ok for a visit (dont have a particular one in mind as of yet, and provided you dont mind company)? My wife works on that day so she wouldnt mind if I go missing for a couple hours to drive up and hang out. PM me to let me know so this post stays clean :biggrin:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Very cool, it's coming together pretty quick!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nooshinjohn
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Thanks again guys for the encouragement. I have another 6 weeks or so worth of work before I have them completed, and then they will be inspected by the Man before I plug them in for the first time. I can't wait to finally hear them sing.

Packing them up is a huge concern of mine, and I have already begun work on designing their packaging. This task is almost as big a pain in the **** as working out the parts list was....

• SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited December 2010
    Options
    John get foam inserts for the packaging with wood paneling. I got amps from Quicksilver recently with this kind of packaging at it is amazing.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    edited December 2010
    Options
    then they will be inspected by the Man before I plug them in for the first time.

Why would you do that?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    edited December 2010
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Why would you do that?

Until now, I was intimidated by the thought of redoing my 'xovers in my SDA's.:eek:

It is probably best to let BC go through them first. I do not want to take down the power grid on the East Coast when I plug them in.:smile:

• nooshinjohn
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Here are a few pictures of the bottom plate amd the wood side panels. They are both nekkid for now. The bottom plate will have a screen over the ventilation holes to prevent things from getting inside.

• nooshinjohn
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Got all the parts, minus transformers, together finally. These are the final mock-up pics before final assembly.:biggrin:

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited January 2011
    Options
    beautiful...do you have an estimated completion date...I think most of us are almost as excided as you are
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a