Building 400 wpc Tube Monoblocks....

Options
14567810»

Comments

• kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Dave, those posts that I reported were some spam and had nothing to do with John's amps.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Time for another update... I have completed all that I can do on these, with exception of making the packing crates needed to ship them successfully to Bob and get them safely back home to me.

A few stats here. These amps weight in at 74 pounds apiece, with most of that weight from the center of the chassis and rearward. They are 15 inches wide by 19 deep. If anybody has input on the best way to pack these babies for transit, I am all ears.

According to Bob, it will be three weeks to a month before he can get them turned around and back to me. My ears cannot wait!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Can we get some almost done pics :smile:.... insides and out :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited January 2012
    Options
    2" Dow foam and wood would be the best bet.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Time for another update... I have completed all that I can do on these, with exception of making the packing crates needed to ship them successfully to Bob and get them safely back home to me.

A few stats here. These amps weight in at 74 pounds apiece, with most of that weight from the center of the chassis and rearward. They are 15 inches wide by 19 deep. If anybody has input on the best way to pack these babies for transit, I am all ears.

According to Bob, it will be three weeks to a month before he can get them turned around and back to me. My ears cannot wait!

Professional pack and ship w/full insurance at a Mom and Pop pack and ship store talking to the owner (not some kid behind the counter), not The UPS Store. Take lots of before photo's as well as full documentation of parts bought, hours spent, etc, etc, etc. It won't be cheap, but if they get damaged you won't loose any $$$ for when you start over again.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2012
    Options
    What about the shipping crates he's using for his commercial side of the business?

If that doesn't work, wrap it in microfibre cloths, use rigid foam and double box.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    What about the shipping crates he's using for his commercial side of the business?

If that doesn't work, wrap it in microfibre cloths, use rigid foam and double box.

These are shipping at some 25 pounds more than Bob's versions, so his packing would be less effective. I have already made some microfibre "socks" for them to cover when not in use, and these will be used when shipping.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Can we get some almost done pics :smile:.... insides and out :wink:

They will go up this weekend.

• SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited January 2012
    Options
    All things considered John... With the money and time you have invested I would palletize(sp?) them puppies in a 4x4x4 box.

I know it sounds crazy but hear this. 400 lbs from coast to coast in a 4x4x4 box on a pallet is 350 bucks. I was going to ship some tools and fly for some work. I got the skinny on shipping some decent weight due to the tools I needed for this particular. It is definitely something to consider when you figure how a box via fedex or ups will be treated. It really puts a protocol to the whole thing when you cant pick up the box lol.

I'm not saying it needs a package that big but I know what you got goin there and its not worth the risk in my view. If it were me in Socal I would drive them myself and visit the Kellers ferry landing for some trout fishing whilst I was there. (That's a fact my friend)..

Now if only you could have Killer tunes and a salmon on the hook at the same time...? Hmmm gonna have to work on that one lol

Best of luck, Dan
    Too much **** to list....
  • SDA1C
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Another quick thought....

If you wrap them in plastic then place them in a box and fill the box with spray in rigid foam it would be like the safety foam in Demolition Man when he wrecks his conveyance LOL
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2012
    Options
    These are shipping at some 25 pounds more than Bob's versions, so his packing would be less effective. I have already made some microfibre "socks" for them to cover when not in use, and these will be used when shipping.
    Have you seen the packaging? Did you already run that option by Bob? I can check out his commercial packaging next week as a friend of mine will be receiving his pair this or next week.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Flight cases.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    edited January 2012
    Options
    SDA1C wrote: »
    Another quick thought....

If you wrap them in plastic then place them in a box and fill the box with spray in rigid foam it would be like the safety foam in Demolition Man when he wrecks his conveyance LOL

I received an amp this way. It was well protected but what a PITA to get the amp out of the foam. I pity Bob that he would have to do 2 of them.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited January 2012
    Options
    John, I would think that wooden packing crates would be the way to go. Can you construct something suitable?
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Excited for more pictures :)
  • SDA1C
    edited January 2012
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I received an amp this way. It was well protected but what a PITA to get the amp out of the foam. I pity Bob that he would have to do 2 of them.

H9

Seems to me the proper placement of zip cords could make unpacking s snap.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    edited January 2012
    Options
    400w tube
    I wouldn't want too be any closer than 2 blocks away when you plug that thing in!!!!!LOL
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 904
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I say build some foam lined wood crates for them. Strap them to a standard wood pallet and ship them truck freight. Get quotes from Freightquote.com, Forwardair.com , or any local freight companies. If picking up from your house, let them know you will need a lift gate Give me a call if you want more details or would like to discuss.
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Are these done yet?
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Crated and ready for the trip to Bob...

• heiney9
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I thought these were being crated in January when you inquired about how to ship them.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2012
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I thought these were being crated in January when you inquired about how to ship them.

Bob wants me to accompany the amps... just haven't had the time off from work to make the trip.:cool:

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Bob wants me to accompany the amps... just haven't had the time off from work to make the trip.:cool:

just overnight yourself. :wink:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I would not let them out of my sight
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs