Building 400 wpc Tube Monoblocks....

Options

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Its way more fun (and safer) to build 1 watt amps and 100+ db efficient speakers. :D

Good luck and don't forget to turn on the AC this winter.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • sm88
    sm88 Posts: 353
    edited September 2010
    Options
    In my reading I have been under the impression that watt ratings on Tube Amplifiers vs Solid State are not an apples to apples comparison, just as they are not a good apples to apples comparison from an AVR to high current solid state power amplifier. To illustrate I have read about pushing a set of speakers with a 80 watt tube amp with excellent results where a 200 watt solid state power amplifier would be required for same kind of response. In general is this true?

With that in mind what kind of speakers would need, or the listener hear a significant improvement with a 400 watt tube amp vs 180watt tube amp?

This amp sounds really cool, can't wait to see pictures as you put it together.

I might be wrong, but my understanding has generally been that tubes are extremely high current, which makes up for the lack of wattage.

But do also understand that in order to DOUBLE to volume of 30 watts you need to go up to 210 watts. Because it is not a linear scale, small differences in wattage aren't necessarily so noticeable. That said, I wouldn't even try to run my speakers with tubes, they are ~85 db or less, but high efficiency speakers really don't take much.

So specifically, more watts does not equate to an improvement; the kinds of speakers that are good with less powerful amps are high efficiency, it is a matter of volume and potential clipping. So a 400 watt tube amp has the option of running speakers such as mine, which are very low in efficiency
    Current System:
    Paradigm Signature S2 v2
    Conrad Johnson MF2500
    Wyred4Sound DAC2
    Audioquest Black Mamba II

For Sale:
    3x Wilson Cub's
    Conrad Johnson MF2500
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yes tubes are a high voltage power source, but that does not make up for them being low current. All speakers prefer a high current power source because they are fairly inefficient, and electronically, tubes are not be the best match. Thankfully, electronically is not audibly... :D
    madmax wrote: »
    Its way more fun (and safer) to build 1 watt amps and 100+ db efficient speakers. :D

Good luck and don't forget to turn on the AC this winter.

I wouldn't say my SET 845 amp with 20wpc at 1Kv is any safer. :p
  • sm88
    sm88 Posts: 353
    edited September 2010
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    Yes tubes are a high voltage power source, but that does not make up for them being low current. All speakers prefer a high current power source because they are fairly inefficient, and electronically, tubes are not be the best match. Thankfully, electronically is not audibly... :D

I wouldn't say my SET 845 amp with 20wpc at 1Kv is any safer. :p

Ah there we go, I mixed current and voltage up. I'd love to get my hands on a high powered tube amp but will have to settle for a tube pre instead
    Current System:
    Paradigm Signature S2 v2
    Conrad Johnson MF2500
    Wyred4Sound DAC2
    Audioquest Black Mamba II

For Sale:
    3x Wilson Cub's
    Conrad Johnson MF2500
  • cristo
    cristo Posts: 231
    edited September 2010
    Options
    That's why you need an output transformer with a tube amp - to convert the high voltage, low current, high impedence output of the power tubes into a lower voltage, higher current, low impedence output that matches the speakers and drives them as efficiently as possible.
    cristo

NAD C 545BEE cd player, Philips AF877 turntable / Shure V15V-MR with JICO SAS stylus,
    Tascam 122 mkIII cassette deck, Harman Kardon 3480 receiver, Terk FM-50 antenna in the attic,
    Soundcraftsmen SE550 stereo equalizer, Polk Monitor 10a speakers
    (with Sonicraft/Solen/Mills crossover rebuild)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I appreciate the solid state/tube debate guys, but this thread is about the building of tube amps. All I ask is that comments made in the thread stay within the topic of DIY amps and building them.

I have no more news on these until I get the chassis back from the shop.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Finally some success on the granite front. The tube decks and front panel have been cut and I have some pictures I will try posting tonight. They went through 7 pieces of stone plus countless templates in both steel and aluminum to get them right. They are still being etched with the Carver name and being polished and bonded, but they still look freaking amazing!

Bob will be proud!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Can't wait for the pictures, sounds very nice.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I need a set of these for my ML's lol always wanted a tube amp.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited September 2010
    Options
    pics or it didn't happen!

sounds like a fun project hope it goes well and nothing blows up!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Here are a few pictures of the work in progress:)...

• nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    Options

• zingo
    edited October 2010
    Options
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Where are the tubes?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    edited October 2010
    Options
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    Where are the tubes?

I think he's just showing us the completed housing, the rest is still in the works.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I think he's just showing us the completed housing, the rest is still in the works.

Correct. The next step is fitting the chassis with all the eye candy. I have a whole bunch of Cardas rhodium going on the rear panel, an EIC socket and ceramic tube sockets going in next. Then the wiring fun begins!:p

• zingo
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You are a man not scared of a challenge.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    You are a man not scared of a challenge.

I am actually pretty intimidated by this one, but I am having a ton of fun with it. I placed the order today for Cardas wire/posts/solder, and picked up a professional solder station from Weller. I have also cleared my workbench off for the first time in years. Now is when the fun begins!:eek::cool:

• SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited October 2010
    Options
    John do you have Life Insurance and rubber gloves?
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Some updated pictures... This is the first time the two amps have seen each other in more than a month. I think they missed each other!;)

• thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Wow ! Very nice
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck John! Though I think Brock's comments above are relevant.

When I toured the Shenda (Jolida) plant outside of Shanghai, the amount of testing equipment, controlled burning of tubes, schematics, and 3 Certified Engineers (etc.) presented me with a far too formidable atmosphere to 'ever' consider what you're doing. And even with all that. One of the amps blew in a demo--and an engineer immediately took it back to the shop to inspect it (a new model)?

I have a few degrees behind my name but an M.E.E. isn't one of them.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I am just following the instructions of an already proven and working design. So far the biggest challenge has been getting the tube decks cut. Other than that, these are proving to be no more difficult than building an advanced level model kit. I have built a couple Pocher kits, and the level of difficulty is about the same.

As stated before, they will be inspected by Bob Carver to verify the build and be tested on his equipment before they are ready for use. Because of the detail and effort I am putting in to these, he will even make the needed repairs for me and provide verification of their performance. Any fears I have that would normally make me shy away from such an undertaking are gone because of Bob's support and guidance.

• mewisemagic
    mewisemagic Posts: 194
    edited October 2010
    Options
    are you gonna take them to him yourself? i would hate to have to ship those as heavy as they are
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    Options
    are you gonna take them to him yourself? i would hate to have to ship those as heavy as they are

I will be shipping them, heavily insured. I do have exceptional packing skills, and although nervous about doing so, I am not deeply concerned.

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited October 2010
    Options
    so when does the wiring start? You gonna PP wire them? Just curious--george
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    Options
    They will be point-to-point and the wiring will start in another couple weeks or so. I want to finish the wood side panels first(cutting and fit at least) before I start wiring it up.

• thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited October 2010
    Options
    John will the amps use SS for power retification or tubes ?
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited October 2010
    Options
    This is going to be very cool.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The front end is tubed, using two 12ax7's. I am going to be learning a bunch of terminology as these progress and I assume that power rectification is one of them.:eek::)