Building 400 wpc Tube Monoblocks....

Options

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,099
    edited October 2010
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm going to suggest using stainless steel for the side panels since you are using some elsewhere. When using too many different materials things start looking out of place. I would also suggest not plating the trim rings.

Stainless steel and granite is manly, adding wood to the mix says kitchen ****.

Thanks Jesse...

I have gone against the plating idea as polishing will sufice and reduce costs. The use of stainless is minimal and should not clash with the wood being used on the sides. The guiding principle I have with this build is to add elegance to what is otherwise a very industrial design, or rather increase the WAF of a pair of 70 pound amps in the living room.:smile:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I have selected the PS Audio PerfectWave AC-5 to power the monoblocks...

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/description/perfectwave-ac-5-power-cable?cat=cables-accessories

They look like a pretty good cable and one that will not break the bank account that I have set aside for this project.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Hey John..I feel a road trip is in order. What say you?
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Hey John..I feel a road trip is in order. What say you?

Sounds like a plan. I will let you know when I get them working.:smile:

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. I will let you know when I get them working.:smile:
    Cool. I've got two weeks of vacation time to burn before Jan 1.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2010
    Options
    LOL,,, I will be lucky to have the tubes for these things by then.

• nooshinjohn
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The rear panel work is done... with exception to the word "recommended"...

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The rear panel work is done... with exception to the word "recommended"...

Those look beyond exceptional. Must make a roadtrip up to see em....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Nice looking cords. These will be burned in on my Sunfire 425~5 while work continues on the amps.

• ecod123
    ecod123 Posts: 379
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Just outstanding how the amps are turning out! Looks like a road trip or GTG is warranted. Granite top is stunning.

When finished, these belongs to the audio DIY Hall of Fame!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ecod123 wrote: »
    Just outstanding how the amps are turning out! Looks like a road trip or GTG is warranted. Granite top is stunning.

When finished, these belongs to the audio DIY Hall of Fame!

Thanks for the kind words:smile:. The fun has only just begun as the wiring starts next week!:eek: I hope the world as we know it does not come to an end when I plug these in for the first time.

*** I should also add that the difference this cord made in the sonics of my Sunfire 425~5 may have saved me a LOT of money on amplifiers. The difference over the stock cord is both immediate and stunning. I could hear things on the run-in groove of my LP that I never heard before, and the detail in the music itself is nothing short of spectacular! The cord is HIGHLY recommended, and will be a standard item with any future production version of this amp. I cannot wait to hear what they do with some TUBES!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Beautiful job! Very well done, I'm sure it will sound as great as it looks!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Beautiful job! Very well done, I'm sure it will sound as great as it looks!

Any chance on auditioning some new LSi's with them?:tongue::biggrin:

• kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Beautiful!

Btw, is that Comic MS font? :tongue:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The lettering on the back was hand painted by a local pinstriper...

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I love threads like these

Thats a sterling effort you have putt forth john ... bravo !!!

I know youd would never but I have to ask .... How much would these sell for if listed on audiogon ?

What value would be placed on them for insurance purposes?
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I love threads like these

Thats a sterling effort you have putt forth john ... bravo !!!

I know youd would never but I have to ask .... How much would these sell for if listed on audiogon ?

What value would be placed on them for insurance purposes?

Bob's Ebay amps, from which these are based, sell routinely in the 6 to 8 grand range. They are not as powerful as these, and they also lack the cosmetic touches these have. It is only wild speculation, but I would not be suprised to see these exceed that range.

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited November 2010
    Options
    That is some mpressive craftsmanship and vision. If it were me, after all that work, it would be pretty hard for me to EVER sell those.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • mewisemagic
    mewisemagic Posts: 194
    edited November 2010
    Options
    i think bob's fetch a higher price because of his reputation
  • ecod123
    edited November 2010
    Options
    After all the labor of love and hours of work, John would never think of selling these . . . at least not until he completes his next DIY better-than-these amps.:wink:
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2010
    Options

Bob is involved with these as well. He is building the transformers and doing the final testing and tweeking.:smile:

He has also given his blessings to my using his name on them.

• nooshinjohn
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ecod123 wrote: »
    After all the labor of love and hours of work, John would never think of selling these . . . at least not until he completes his next DIY better-than-these amps.:wink:

If these pass Bob's scrutiny, there will be a small production run of these amps.:cool:

• ecod123
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Agreed and the reputation is well-earned and deserved.

Bob and Tim are working their magic and just sold off a beautiful pair of monoblocks on eBay. Wish I have the spare cash to buy that pair. Alas, I can only dream . . .:frown:
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited November 2010
    Options
    If these pass Bob's scrutiny, there will be a small production run of these amps.:cool:

If they don't blow up, I'm in the market for some tube monos.
  • ecod123
    edited November 2010
    Options

In that case, John, stay off the forums (unless for posting updates), work endless hours to ensure that your amps get Bob's seal of approval. That way, those of us who aren't too good with DIY electronics, like myself, can at least get a chance of owning these from that production run!:biggrin:
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited November 2010
    Options
    John, I use AC-3s and found Amazon to have best price.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2010
    Options

Anyone want a kidney and/or liver in exchange for a set of these :eek::wink::biggrin:. I will have to get up to listen to them once completed.....

Lord knows I love my Carver AV-705x amp, so I can only imagine.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Anyone want a kidney and/or liver in exchange for a set of these :eek::wink::biggrin:. I will have to get up to listen to them once completed.....

Lord knows I love my Carver AV-705x amp, so I can only imagine.....

After what you have been through buddy, I don't think anyone would take what you're sellin':wink:

If, and that is a HUGE IF, they ever become a production item, there will be a Polkie Plan in place.:smile:

• EndersShadow
    edited November 2010
    Options
    After what you have been through buddy, I don't think anyone would take what you're sellin':wink:

If, and that is a HUGE IF, they ever become a production item, there will be a Polkie Plan in place.:smile:

lol...hey now, my kidneys and liver are more than golden...the rest of me dont bet on :tongue::wink:.

Good to know about the possible Polkie Plan...is there also a divorce attorney plan included... jk
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,267
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Very very very nice work. Your work, along with the contributions of your fellow collaborators, is ....... simply impressive.

Overused word, but ...... Awesome.

Good luck on the testing/tweaking phase.
    Sal Palooza