Options

Comments

• ecod123
    ecod123 Posts: 379
    edited March 2011
    Options
    inspiredsports,

That's sweet too!

Could you elaborate a little on your build? You can't just tease us with one pic . . . more pics please!

Thumbs-up!
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,277
    edited March 2011
    Options
    That is ........ just ......... ............... ............... :eek:

Two pics in particular, IMO, should be reported as ****:

Pic #7 in Post 179.

Pic #7 in Post 180.

Pic #7 in Post 180 .......... deserves to be made into a poster .... or a print .... or an oil painting ....... Straight up, that is just downright nasty !!

Excellent work. If the sound is up to half the appearance, then the gods have smiled on you. Well done.
    Sal Palooza
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I too love the nameplate, it looks freaking awesome!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ecod123 wrote: »
    inspiredsports,

That's sweet too!

Could you elaborate a little on your build? You can't just tease us with one pic . . . more pics please!

Thumbs-up!

Oh, that's not me, but I would sure like to own is as my primary guitar amp :biggrin:

I have some old tube gear and get great help at the antiqueradios.com forum. This 56-tube brute was built many years ago by a longtime member there who I believe plays out and uses it as his keyboard amp!

There are hundreds of posts in his thread about it at http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=106988
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • ecod123
    ecod123 Posts: 379
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Oh, that's not me, but I would sure like to own is as my primary guitar amp :biggrin:

I have some old tube gear and get great help at the antiqueradios.com forum. This 56-tube brute was built many years ago by a longtime member there who I believe plays out and uses it as his keyboard amp!

There are hundreds of posts in his thread about it at http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=106988

Thanks for the link - very informational site. Another forum on my daily visit list.:wink:

56-tube!!! Imagine the power . . . and having to trouble-shoot to find a failing tube.:biggrin:
  • inspiredsports
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ecod123 wrote: »
    Thanks for the link - very informational site. Another forum on my daily visit list.:wink:

56-tube!!! Imagine the power . . . and having to trouble-shoot to find a failing tube.:biggrin:

Not to mislead, it's only a 100 WRMS unit, (much less power than John's beautiful project). The antiqueradio.com builder is just anal about controlling, monitoring and diagnosing things on the fly (like tube failure which causes it to auto-shutdown) :biggrin:
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I hope to see you and those amps during PF11 :biggrin:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• lanchile
    lanchile Posts: 560
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Here are a few pictures of the bottom plate amd the wood side panels. They are both nekkid for now. The bottom plate will have a screen over the ventilation holes to prevent things from getting inside.

it is a good looking amp for sure, But do not just pay attention on the outside. I saw the wiring in the inside and it is not as neat as it should be. all the time when you deal with AC you should twist those wire very neat and close to the chassis. do not leave them "floating". just my 2cents.:wink:
    Make it simple...Make it better!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I'm sorry but when you do an amplifier of this kind, you can be as anal as your are on him on yourself.

Until then? Kindly shut the ____ up.

All due respect, which is none.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited March 2011
    Options
    lanchile wrote: »
    it is a good looking amp for sure, But do not just pay attention on the outside. I saw the wiring in the inside and it is not as neat as it should be. all the time when you deal with AC you should twist those wire very neat and close to the chassis. do not leave them "floating". just my 2cents.:wink:

They are nowhere near the point that I need to be concerned about that, as the insides are very much a work in progress. When you have the balls to put your money and time where your mouth is, then start your own thread. You can keep the two cents...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited March 2011
    Options

Really? Wow! Perhaps you'd like to give me some advice on my newly rebuilt 50 year old Eico ST-70 which sounds spectacular despite it's hideous wiring job. Only look if you can handle looking at the dog's regurgitated breakfast.

John, your amps look spectacular. Period.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Thanks to all for the kind words. I am madly in love with these things as you can tell. I am still waiting for the transformers and the updated schematics from Bob so that I can complete them. I hope that they will be ready by late spring or early summer.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • lanchile
    edited March 2011
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but when you do an amplifier of this kind, you can be as anal as your are on him on yourself.

Until then? Kindly shut the ____ up.

All due respect, which is none.

Tom

hahahahahaha good one hahahahahahahaha:tongue:
  • lanchile
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Fongolio wrote: »
    Really? Wow! Perhaps you'd like to give me some advice on my newly rebuilt 50 year old Eico ST-70 which sounds spectacular despite it's hideous wiring job. Only look if you can handle looking at the dog's regurgitated breakfast.

John, your amps look spectacular. Period.

hahahahaha yeah it looks like my counter top of my kitchen and it sound wonderful too....I wish I knew how to adjust the bias...lol hahahaha
  • Fongolio
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I smell a troll.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    The Clamp
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • lanchile
    edited March 2011
    Options
  • Fongolio
    edited March 2011
    Options

Thanks for the link. I might take back the troll comment but your earlier comments about John's amps were definitely bordering on or across the line rude. Just saying.

John, sorry for derailing your thread a little here. Please resume regularly scheduled thread commenting.

Kelvin
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    The Clamp
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,277
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Willy, hope your leg feels better soon. :wink::smile:
    Sal Palooza
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Those are some gorgeous looking amps John. I hope I can get a chance to hear them sometime.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2011
    Options
    hahahahaha yeah it looks like my counter top of my kitchen and it sound wonderful too....I wish I knew how to adjust the bias...lol hahahaha

I will ask this only once... please stop coming into this thread for the sole purpose of being an asshat:mad:.
    This project was undertaken with the idea of doing something that I have never seen done before and making it a reality. The choice of material(granite) was made because of it's elegant appearance, and resistance to vibrations. The bias of the tubes will be done automatically by an internal circuit inside the amp.

The comments you made about the wiring earlier in the thread will be addressed when the work is completed later, and will look like this when completed...

• nooshinjohn
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Fongolio wrote: »
    I smell a troll.

You smelled correctly...

Now please, lets get back to our regular program.

• Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited March 2011
    Options
    He's a troll because he recommended a clean internal build?

Looks like an opinion to me. Guess if you cant handle someone's opinion, dont post a public thread?

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • inspiredsports
    edited March 2011
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Would you get lost!!

Best not to include the spammers link when you quote their posts. The mods delete their original, but your quoting it under your name (post #166) keeps the link "alive".
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • inspiredsports
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Those are absolutely beautiful amps. You should be mighty proud that you are able to pull this off. I hope I can muster the courage to try something like it someday.
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I could knock down a hundred year-old oak tree with the woody I'm packin right now. Awesome.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • slk55amg
    slk55amg Posts: 305
    edited March 2011
    Options
    :eek:speaking of space heaters, I am disgusted with myself for buying BOSE 301,s 7-8 years ago, now that they are in a storage room, I keep on thinking maybe I could put them in the fireplace and heat the room on a cold evening.
    Emotiva XPA5, Sony ES 5300,: Lsi 15,s LSIC, Monitor 70,s, ( side surrounds) FXI 3,s, (rear surrounds)Micropro4000, Velodyne DEQ 10, Sony 55inchXBR 930D Sony BDP 790 Bedroom rig SonyES 3200 RTIA1,s CSIA4 FXI3,s polk PSW 10 SONY 34inch XBR960:cool:SONY BDP550
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Thanks guys... The wife has made what I feel is an honestly good suggestion about the side panels. Her idea is to fill the sides with brushed aluminum instead of wood. Her thought is that with the brightwork around the tube bases and the trim band around the transformer covers, that the wood looks to busy and out of place. She also noted that other companies like Rogue(not by name) use brushed aluminum as accent pieces and she loves the way the material looks. She also said that it would tie in to the more contemporary look I have been going after, and then said "and besides, I have not seen any of your other gear that Bob designed using wood."

After caring of the wood she gave me when talking my language , I told her that I would give it a try. What say you guys?

• Fongolio
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Do what your wife says. Not only does she make good sense but when she tires of looking at those behemoths taking up so much space you can remind her that she helped design them. Always always work with WAF is my motto.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    The Clamp
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 904
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Looking good, now ask Bob ever so nicely, you really need some iron.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Her idea is to fill the sides with brushed aluminum instead of wood.

Smart lady.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk