OPPO BDP-83 It is simply spectacular ....

Options

Comments

• kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Been using mine for a few weeks now. Could not be happier with the purchase. Worth every penny!
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • Bernal
    Bernal Posts: 991
    edited September 2009
    Options
    909Oppo.rat.jpg

"...Conclusion
    Finally, here’s a standalone Blu-ray player that truly offers the complete experience. The BDP-83 is a reference video and audio transport regardless of the format you throw at it. But it’s also the most user-friendly standalone player I’ve had the pleasure of using. While some players provide outstanding performance in certain areas, the Oppo never hiccupped in any department. It’s truly the most complete package of a Blu-ray player I’ve yet reviewed. It’s now my standing reference as a source component and one that should be on your short list, regardless of your budget..."
    http://www.hometheatermag.com/discplayers/oppo_bdp-83_universal_blu-ray_player/index.html

909Oppo.meas.jpg
  • Bernal
    edited September 2009
    Options
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Bernal, creo que bastaria con poner esto en solo uno de los threads ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Bernal
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Bernal, creo que bastaria con poner esto en solo uno de los threads ;)

Ricardo, seguir
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Bernal, ¿Trabaja para Oppo
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Tengo una zanahoria en mis pantalones... es la verdad.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2009
    Options
    The folks at Oppo have a good track record for mass market products that deliver above ordinary results (kind of like Polk) I may very well pick up one of these for the HT and concert video's. The reviews I have read from those in the know indicate its a good audio player for those on a tighter budget or when matching with other similiar gear, however, it cannot deliver the SQ of Esoteric or similiar hi-end players when they are used with other reference gear, but then how could it with the circuits utilized.

Still I would not hesitate if you need a player and it fits your budget and for blu-ray seems like a no brainer recommendation.

RT1
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited September 2009
    Options
    A "tighter budget" - that's subjective of course as most of america will by a $99 DVD/blue ray player from Walmart and be happy. The Oppos is obviously geared to people like us here in this forum who are willing to pay more. (So not sure it is "mass marketed" either.

I couldn't find a comparable Esoteric that played all the same formats as the OPPO but a quick search pulled the SA-60 universal player at $4600 - I don't think this plays blue ray or has HDMI out.

So not really universal and it costs 10x as much. I suspect the cost by most accounts even for folks here is out of reach.

I think right now you'd have to compare "apples to Oppos" as there is no legitimate comparison at least that I know of.

I'm not a fan boy and don't own one but I'm always into getting the most sound for my $$. I haven't heard anyone mention any "moderately" priced gear that is superior in ALL formats at 2/3x the price of the oppo.

Challenge: Pick two pieces of gear that in sum cover all of the oppo formats and best the Oppo in each one. Total Budget: Under $1500
    Anyone?
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • Bernal
    edited September 2009
    Options
    phipiper10 wrote: »
    A "tighter budget" - that's subjective of course as most of america will by a $99 DVD/blue ray player from Walmart and be happy. The Oppos is obviously geared to people like us here in this forum who are willing to pay more. (So not sure it is "mass marketed" either.

I couldn't find a comparable Esoteric that played all the same formats as the OPPO but a quick search pulled the SA-60 universal player at $4600 - I don't think this plays blue ray or has HDMI out.

So not really universal and it costs 10x as much. I suspect the cost by most accounts even for folks here is out of reach.

I think right now you'd have to compare "apples to Oppos" as there is no legitimate comparison at least that I know of.

I'm not a fan boy and don't own one but I'm always into getting the most sound for my $$. I haven't heard anyone mention any "moderately" priced gear that is superior in ALL formats at 2/3x the price of the oppo.

Challenge: Pick two pieces of gear that in sum cover all of the oppo formats and best the Oppo in each one. Total Budget: Under $1500
    Anyone?

Very good advice.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2009
    Options
    you are correct one's conception of budget as well as a component's primary use is subjective, however, comparative cost efficient value rating has no place in determining the effectiveness between any two given components to deliver sound quality, the piece either provides better SQ for its intended function or it does not. This is not to say that any piece might not be able to be musically satisfying, only that its does reach the SQ level of another piece.

there is a direct relationship between each task any given product is asked to perform and the effect that task has on the audio signal.

the limiting of any system in using cost efficiency to determine its components might be thought of as----OppO is to Esoteric as Esoteric is to dcs or Music Hall is to VPI as VPI is to Continuum or Realistic is to Polk as Polk is to Revel and so on.

During the PF07 an OppO surrounded by a great deal of audio SQ buzz was placed into a rig with entry level hi-fi components as a 2-channel source, after a few minutes it was removed and replaced with something else (a Jolida I believe) which remained because the system simply sounded better. Any suggestion to utilize the OppO again because of cost relationships between the two components was never voiced by any member including the owner of the machine, frankly do to so would of been foolish.

Whether Esoteric will introduce blu-ray I do not know, however, I would suspect that if they did, the machine with it will not perform as well at stereo as one they may market intended to only do audio.

In any event as I said I may very well put this OppO machine into my HT rig.

For the record several club members have used/do use Esoteric as well as other comparable brand models at this level of hi-fi, of course the intended primary use is not video related and most of the machines do not even have the capability.

RT1
  • anhchungdoan
    anhchungdoan Posts: 760
    edited September 2009
    Options
    obieone wrote: »
    From the posts I've seen around here, people are really touching themselves in public over this Oppo.
    I'm regretting buying the Pioneer BDP51fd:o

Hi there, how long have you had the Pio BDP51fd? Condition? You have a buyer here if it is in as new condition with original package. I bought 3 of these BDP51fd@ BB for $149.00 plus some sale tax. I use 2 of them as CDP and 1 as a BP. If you come up with a reasonable price, drop me am e-mail for the condition of your BDP51fd, we will work out a deal. Tks.
  • phipiper10
    edited September 2009
    Options
    you are correct one's conception of budget as well as a component's primary use is subjective, however, comparative cost efficient value rating has no place in determining the effectiveness between any two given components to deliver sound quality, the piece either provides better SQ for its intended function or it does not. This is not to say that any piece might not be able to be musically satisfying, only that its does reach the SQ level of another piece.
    RT1

I agree...mostly, Cost might not in itself determine effectiveness/SQ but it is an important factor most of us use in determining which piece we purchase.

There is almost one new thread a day here with someone saying, tell me the best (insert component of choice) for under $1000 or $500 etc. Basically what's the best for the money. (Again "best" being subjective)

I'm just taking the Oppo scenario to this question. What's the best all around player for the money under $1500? I'm just throwing in the curveball of allowing two components in a comparison since I'm not aware of any other single player that does all the Oppo does.

Would be great if someone said XYZ Blu RAY Player at $500 is superior for Blu Ray playback and for $999 the ABC universal player (excluding BluRay) is superior in SQ.

Or what if you allowed 3 players w/price points similar to the below? This actually seems closer to what you might have to put together to compete. Again, I've never even heard the thing so what do I know!!!!

SACD/DVD-A - $500
    Blu Ray $299
    CD - $699

Sorry, I'm bored and rambling now!!
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited September 2009
    Options
    So not sure it is "mass marketed" either.

Yeah, it is.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• phipiper10
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Well they suck at marketing then if it is supposed to be. Nobody I know has ever even heard of Oppo. It's not at Walmart, Best Buy or Sears from what I can tell so that probably leaves out half of America as the target audience.

People want - Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Mitsubishi etc.

Sorry to quote CNET here but ..... If you are not a home theater fan unlikely you are paying $500 for a Blu Ray player.

So this is still geared to Home Theater fans who are budding Audiophiles with a little extra money. That's probably a small market.

The Oppo BDP-83 is an outstanding universal disc player with excellent performance on Blu-rays and DVDs and lightning-fast operational speed, but most home theater fans will balk at the high price.
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited October 2009
    Options
    OPPO's are sold at Amazon....i think good number of people hear Amazon.com....if you can go and view CNET, there's good chance you can find OPPO
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I would have to agree. $500 is a bit steep for the avg. consumer. Maybe even the casual HT enthusiast might find the Oppo out of reach. Frankly, if BD playback is all you are going to use it for, it is. Most BD players can easily keep up with the Oppo in that respect.
    I think the kind of people that Oppo is marketing to are people like us. People who are informed and spend our money wisely on components we deem superior. We are looking for that "Nth" factor in performance and are willing to pay to get it. The Oppo isn't for everyone. But it's niche market is a strong one. We will always be attracted to a component that outperforms the norm and is a good value.
    I don't have $4500 to drop on that kind of performance, but I can swing $500 for something that does.
    devani wrote: »
    OPPO's are sold at Amazon....i think good number of people hear Amazon.com....if you can go and view CNET, there's good chance you can find OPPO

But many of those people have never heard of Oppo. Many are unwilling to purchase anything but a "name" brand.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • buymesome
    buymesome Posts: 281
    edited October 2009
    Options
    oppo oppo oppo woohoo I have an oppo

The reason these threads exist is mearly to broadcast ownership IMO .

Sure it is a decent player but thats all it is .My point is that most of us has been in this game for a long enough time to already rack up quality components like cdp , dvd, sacd and video processors leaving the question "what value proposition offer me' my answer is none .

All I require is a decent bdp thats going to let my equipment do the video processing and audio processing via a bitstream otherwise whats the point of buying quality gear if your just going to let a little box of chips take over and do it all for you?

If a questions posed to me like name a price for a bunch of components that can equal this performance . First I will raise my right knee and **** and say I dont realy care because I already have everything I want

I ordered the denon 2500btci bdp with a four year warranty totaling $260 .I am sure this bdp will play just the same and has a better look and build quality

This my opinion to the over dramatic response this player is receiving . Its not a miracle tonic more like just the solution to give everything to those who have hardly anything
  • vc69
    edited October 2009
    Options
    buymesome wrote: »
    oppo oppo oppo woohoo I have an oppo

The reason these threads exist is mearly to broadcast ownership IMO .

This my opinion to the over dramatic response this player is receiving . Its not a miracle tonic more like just the solution to give everything to those who have hardly anything

Buyers remorse or owner envy?
    I can't quite tell what you are driving at. This is a discussion regarding the Oppo BDP-83. Do you have anything useful to add to the discussion?
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • kuntasensei
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I own one, and no it isn't the second coming. It is, however, one of the better pieces of equipment I've owned... but I'm not gonna evangelize over it.

Was it worth the price? YES. Am I gonna verbally fellate people on forums to convince them of that? Nope.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Am I gonna verbally fellate people on forums to convince them of that?
    We've already established that...now it's just a question of price :eek::D

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • kuntasensei
    edited October 2009
    Options
    BTW: New official firmware just dropped for anyone who hadn't noticed. Basically an official release of the 905 beta firmware, but worth the update.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Bernal
    edited October 2009
    Options
    BTW: New official firmware just dropped for anyone who hadn't noticed. Basically an official release of the 905 beta firmware, but worth the update.

Ok.:):):)
  • malcolmp6
    malcolmp6 Posts: 70
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I had the Oppo BDP-83. Before the oppo I had the panny bd-35. To my eyes I found the panny to produce better picture than the oppo. I returned the oppo and bought the panny bd60 for less than 1/2 the price of the Oppo and am very happy with it. Picture quality on the panny bd60 is superb to my eyes.
    I just could not justify the high price of the oppo.
  • vc69
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Bernal wrote: »

For any of you guys across the pond, the -831 is the "region B" version.
    -Kevin
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Bernal
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    See this link....

Oppo, the maker of the acclaimed BDP-83 Blu-ray player, is expanding its BD business to the UK and has revealed that the company is no longer interested in developing DVD hardware. "We have sold out of DVD players and there are no more to come," said Oppo spokesman Pan Min to UK magazine Home Cinema Choice. "The DVD business is over for us. We are committed to Blu-ray."

Oppo is setting up a base in the UK to develop its Blu-ray business. The European version of its BD player, the BDP-831, is now available in the UK, priced at around £450.

"We may be a very small company," said Min, "but where we are different from the likes of Denon and Sony is that we listen to our customers. Feedback is really important."

Min revealed that Oppo currently has an engineering team of around 100 based in China working on its Blu-ray products.

Don't know if this will happen for the US. I think it may be time to pick up an Oppo 980.

.....:)