OPPO BDP-83 It is simply spectacular ....

Options

Comments

• Bernal
    Bernal Posts: 991
    edited January 2010
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    As Finut1 says above the argument has NOTHING to do with HDMI video processing but with AUDIO....the above 'admits' that there are OTHER factors involved in 'audio' performance ESPECIALLY for CD/SACD performance....

Yes the Oppo makes a 'good' player for most people who want a Universal Player. But have you heard a HIGH END SACD player! That's where the problem is.

A unit as light as an Oppo can't possibly have the BEST transport and jitter control, noise reduction circuitry in it (for audio).

No one is saying it is bad...just that there ARE better AUDIO units!

cnh

Ok.
    I have Denon AVR 4308Ci in Home Theater and Denon AVR 4810Ci for my stereo system. When used with Oppo, to hear an SACD disc I get amazing results. It's better than my SA8003 SA-CD/CD.
    The "SA-CD/CD SA8003" is a good audio unit?
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I have the Oppo BD83, and it is a great BR player. Never used it as a CD/SACD player in the HT since I already have an excellent CD/SACD player in the form of the Sony NS9100ES. Anyway, it appears some Oppo lovers are trying to embarrass all Oppo users by turning Oppo into this week’s Emo. Yes, it works. Yes, it is inexpensive. No, it is not the greatest player in the world.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Bernal wrote: »
    Ok.
    I have Denon AVR 4308Ci in Home Theater and Denon AVR 4810Ci for my stereo system. When used with Oppo, to hear an SACD disc I get amazing results. It's better than my SA8003 SA-CD/CD.
    The "SA-CD/CD SA8003" is a good audio unit?

Yes but I would hardly call it high end. It seems you are saying the Oppo BD 83 (BTW I own a lower Oppo player) beats out much better high end players here. I've heard a couple of high end SACD/CD players and they sound incredible. I've not heard the BD83 but I would find it hard to believe it could compete SACD wise with the big boys. Lexicon being the exception in that it is rumored to be a BD 83 dressed up.
  • Bernal
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Yes but I would hardly call it high end. It seems you are saying the Oppo BD 83 (BTW I own a lower Oppo player) beats out much better high end players here. I've heard a couple of high end SACD/CD players and they sound incredible. I've not heard the BD83 but I would find it hard to believe it could compete SACD wise with the big boys. Lexicon being the exception in that it is rumored to be a BD 83 dressed up.

1.- Oppo on the Inside, Lexicon on the Outside

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/high-definition-dvd-players-hd-dvd-blu-ray/lexicon-bd-30-blu-ray-oppo-clone/oppo-inside-lexicon-outside-1

2.- You should hear the BD 83, because it really competes
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2010
    Options
    1.- Oppo on the Inside, Lexicon on the Outside

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/high-definition-dvd-players-hd-dvd-blu-ray/lexicon-bd-30-blu-ray-oppo-clone/oppo-inside-lexicon-outside-1

2.- You should hear the BD 83, because it really competes

1. I've read that article, and,

2. I plan on it when the funds become available.
  • Bernal
    edited January 2010
    Options
    1. I've read that article, and,

2. I plan on it when the funds become available.

Ok. :)
  • Bernal
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player Bench Test Review Supplemental
    by Gene DellaSala

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/oppo-bdp-83

"... HDMI Digital Audio Test

Unfortunately Audio Precision doesn’t yet support Bit Error Rate (BER) testing on the APx585 HDMI Audio Analyzer via the HDMI output for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD test, so my testing was limited to real world usage tests in this regard. I tested whatever was relevant via the HDMI output of the Oppo BDP-83 to determine its performance.
    image_preview

This test result is rather boring upon first glance but what it tells you is that utilizing the HDMI output of the Oppo, it passes DD/DTS bitsteams bit for bit accurate to your AVR. In fact, if any errors were present, the AVR wouldn’t be able to decode the formats. Since I physically tested every format that the Oppo supports with actual software, it’s safe to assume the BDP-83 will pass BER with 0% errors for TrueHD and DTS-HD.

Editorial Note on BER Testing

A BER of 0% is essential for all bitstreams (ie. DD, DTS, TrueHD, etc) to pass through the player to the AVR for proper decoding. The same doesn’t apply for PCM data however as many players often upsample 44kHz, 16bit audio you get from a CD and thus alters the original data played from the disc. This usually results in failed BER tests but not necessarily bad audio performance. It’s important to check other aspects of the signal such as frequency response and THD after the digital to analog conversion stage to get a clearer picture of what is going on.

image_preview

The Oppo BDP-83 passed an 8-channel 96kHz / 24 bit test signal via the HDMI output perfectly as can be seen by the above ruler flat frequency response from 20Hz to 20kHz.

Analog Output Tests

For those rare users buying this player that don’t yet have an HDMI 1.3 AVR capable of decoding the latest surround formats, I tested the analog outputs of the Oppo BDP-83 to see how it performed that function.
    image_preview

The frequency response was ruler flat from 20Hz to 20kHz for all channels.

With a single channel driven at each time, I checked adjacent channels and measured around -100dB or better at 10kHz which is excellent. When running all channels but one as the disturbers, the channel under test was still under -95dB at 10kHz which again is a stellar result and shows the careful attention Oppo paid to board layout and signal routing.

Wrap-Up
    The Oppo BDP-83 is everything and more that everyone has been claiming it to be. It’s easy to setup and use and the user manual is among the most concisely written and organized I’ve come across for any DVD/Blu-ray machine.

Without coming off as a pure fan boy for this product, I’d like to simply state if you’re looking for an all-in-one Blu-ray machine that will also play back high resolution multi channel audio formats, I can’t think of a better product at even 5x the cost. It’s so good that “high end” companies are using the core of this player, slapping their faceplates and logos on it and selling it to their loyal customers for $3k more than Oppo is offering it up for.

While its analog capabilities are truly respectable, I highly recommend mating this player with an HDMI 1.3 capable AVR and using a single HDMI connection to serve all of your audio and video needs. Imagine for under $500, you can enjoy your entire collection of CD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD and Blu-ray discs on this affordable, highly usable dream machine!..."
    Opinions on this subject
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited January 2010
    Options
    As an Oppo BDP-83 owner, my opinion is that you should stop evangelizing about it and go enjoy yours. I mean... I love mine, but I'm not gonna tell anyone it's the end-all be-all. It does sound outstanding for SACD and DVD-Audio on my setup (and lossless audio from Blu-rays kick serious ****), but there's always something better.

Not being a jerk... but by posting all of these reviews, benchmarks, etc., it's like you're trying to justify your own purchase. I'm not really sure why this thread continues.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I've definitely been enjoying mine. The support for this player has been superb. A worthy component in my HT for sure.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2010
    Options
    E-Gear:
    Review: OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Player

Man. You have Oppo on the brain. Go see a doctor. :rolleyes:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Huck344
    Huck344 Posts: 453
    edited February 2010
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Anyway, it appears some Oppo lovers are trying to embarrass all Oppo users by turning Oppo into this week’s Emo.

OPPOITES = EMOETTES :D

All kidding aside, based on all the reviews here and elsewhere, I may pick one up.
  • Bernal
    edited February 2010
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Man. You have Oppo on the brain. Go see a doctor. :rolleyes:

:) Ok. :)
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2010
    Options
    BlueFox is right....OK, we get it! You like your Oppo...that's a good thing. But we don't have to prove anything here. It's a nice mid-range player. Lot's of people like them. And that's pretty much it.

Enjoy your stuff!!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Paulc35
    Paulc35 Posts: 36
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Can the Oppo really compete with higher end players from Marantz or Esoteric? Are we talking about 90% performance from the Oppo?

You bet your rear end they can. I still use my Oppo 971 every day and I have many players and one very expensive denon. If you search the net no matter what model of Oppo it is the reviews are all spectacular. I think the Chinese decided with this brand they would pull out all stops and show what they can build and for a very cheap price compared to the competition
    Yamaha RX-V863
    Polk RTA 11T,AR 310 HO, Polk R 15
    Cardas, Coincedent,Zu cable,HGA
    Oppo 971 DVD,Pioneer Universal,Denon 955, Sony-BDP S550, Panasonic DMP-BD 80k,
    Polk R15
    Athena Center
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Paulc35 wrote: »
    You bet your rear end they can. I still use my Oppo 971 every day and I have many players and one very expensive denon. If you search the net no matter what model of Oppo it is the reviews are all spectacular. I think the Chinese decided with this brand they would pull out all stops and show what they can build and for a very cheap price compared to the competition

Well, Denon doesn't make a very expensive SACD/CD on the level of Marantz or Esoteric. We have plenty of members here that have compared Oppo's to true high end SACD/CD players and no, the Oppo is not all that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited February 2010
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Well, Denon doesn't make a very expensive SACD/CD on the level of Marantz or Esoteric. We have plenty of members here that have compared Oppo's to true high end SACD/CD players and no, the Oppo is not all that.

+1

Denon doesn't really have any players that would be considered really high end IMO. At least from a price perspective.

I do enjoy my Denon 2910 universal though. A very fine player IMO. It's not on the level of a higher end Marantz, Esoteric or anything of that nature though.

That being said...an Oppo BDP-83 will probably be joining my lineup whenever I put together a new HT.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • Paulc35
    edited February 2010
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Well I wasn't going up to the upper high end stuff and I have the 2910 as well and my 971 is just as good. I know someone above is really ranting and raving about the oppo that was not my intention. I was just stating that I have owned many dvd players since they first came out and I believe my 971 was purchased around 04 and hasn't missed a beat for a $200 player and compared to $500-800 players this one (971) is just as good if not better.
    Rather you own an oppo, or strictly read reviews the Oppo is always at the top. Now if I was comparing it to my Cary CD 308 it wouldn't hold a candle.
    Yamaha RX-V863
    Polk R15
    Athena Center
  • Paulc35
    edited February 2010
    Options
    +1

Denon doesn't really have any players that would be considered really high end IMO. At least from a price perspective.

I do enjoy my Denon 2910 universal though. A very fine player IMO. It's not on the level of a higher end Marantz, Esoteric or anything of that nature though.

That being said...an Oppo BDP-83 will probably be joining my lineup whenever I put together a new HT.

Oh and Denon doesn't really have any player that would be considered really high end. Ok how about this Denon DVD-A1UDCI $4500 and 41 lbs I might add as a Universal Player
    Yamaha RX-V863
    Polk R15
    Athena Center
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Oh and Denon doesn't really have any player that would be considered really high end. Ok how about this Denon DVD-A1UDCI $4500 and 41 lbs I might add as a Universal Player
    \

Wow...my apologies for not being up to date on the most current Denon Universal Players.:rolleyes:

So is that the Denon that you own? If not, you really have no basis to compare it to the Oppo, and I VERY highly doubt that the Oppo would be able to hold a candle to it. But, I've never heard either.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited February 2010
    Options

As I said, "Well, Denon doesn't make a very expensive SACD/CD on the level of Marantz or Esoteric."
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Paulc35
    edited February 2010
    Options
    \

Wow...my apologies for not being up to date on the most current Denon Universal Players.:rolleyes:

So is that the Denon that you own? If not, you really have no basis to compare it to the Oppo, and I VERY highly doubt that the Oppo would be able to hold a candle to it. But, I've never heard either.

I have the Denon 955S same as the 2910. I have had Anthem Amp2 Se, N.E.W. P-3 tube preamp,Cary CD 308. My Ears and love of music and video reproduction goes back many yrs.

I have a little experience to make my comments on the Oppo brand in general,
    which was to say that my $200 in 2004 oppo DV-971 has been a great player compared to the ones I've owned even the $800 Denon. I'm not comparing it to anything above 1k, but I would love to see how the BD 83 performs.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Just my oppinions, which mean nothing except to me.

Enjoy
    Yamaha RX-V863
    Polk R15
    Athena Center
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I will say this. The -83SE is a quite a step up from the regular -83 with regard to audio. Specifically 2ch analog. It certainly isn't the pinnacle of digital audio playback devices but at $900 it is remarkably good. It is a new level of quality at that price point for a UDP. There a couple of players out there from Denon/Marantz that compete feature wise, but are exponentially more expensive. I believe they sound better, but at a hefty increase in cost. They are way past the point of diminishing returns IMO.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Bernal
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Hello,
    Use an equipment Denon AVR 4308CI in Home Theater and use an equipment Denon AVR 4810Ci for my system stereo. I have proven the Oppo, to listen to a disc SACD in both. The result with Oppo is surprising. In comparison it is better than my SA8003 SA-CD/CD that I have installed in my stereo system
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Hey Bernal, that's an interesting results indeed. Do you mind posting your setup? Thanks.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Bernal
    edited February 2010
    Options
    polkatese wrote: »
    Hey Bernal, that's an interesting results indeed. Do you mind posting your setup? Thanks.

:)
    01) DENON AVR-4308CI: Advanced 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH/ 3.1+2+2 CH A/V Home Theater /MultiMedia Multi-Source/Zone Receiver with Networking and WiFi/170 watts x 7 channels
    02) SUNFIRE Grand Signature - Bob Carver's
    03) OPPO DV-980H 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI and 7.1CH Audio
    04) OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player w/SACD & DVD-Audio / DENON DVD-2500BTCI: Blu-ray Disc™ DVD/CD Digital Player/Transport
    05) HITACHI P55T501. 55" HD1080 Plasma HDTV
    06) POLKAUDIO LSiC (Center speaker)
    07) POLKAUDIO LSi15 LEFT (Front speaker)
    08) POLKAUDIO LSi15 RIGHT (Front speaker)
    09) POLKAUDIO LSif/x LEFT (Surround speaker)
    10) POLKAUDIO LSif/x RIGHT (Surround speaker)
    11) VELODYNE OPTIMUN SERIES 12" (High Output Digital EQ SubWoofer 2400W/1200WRMS)
    Stereo:
    DENON AVR-4810CI / SA8003 SA-CD/CD / Quad ESL / Mbl 8011A M.

• BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited February 2010
    Options
    bernal wrote: »
    hello,
    use an equipment denon avr 4308ci in home theater and use an equipment denon avr 4810ci for my system stereo. I have proven the oppo, to listen to a disc sacd in both. The result with oppo is surprising. In comparison it is better than my sa8003 sa-cd/cd that i have installed in my stereo system

oh my
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Nice setup! Thanks for posting your system.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Bernal
    edited February 2010
    Options
    polkatese wrote: »
    Nice setup! Thanks for posting your system.

Some photos posted of the HT, I have not updated.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=98096
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Nice rigs Bernal....thanks for posting.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2