OPPO BDP-83 It is simply spectacular ....

Options

Comments

• vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited January 2010
    Options
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

I wonder what the Oppo would have sounded like on that rig. All I can say for sure is that the SE sounds great. I am quite aware of the fact that it can be improved upon and that there are better players out there. I can't afford any of them but I have heard some. The Oppo comes within a hare's breath of the best I have heard. Of course, to each his own, but I would try to actually listen to one before I wrote it off of my "short list".

I should add that as far a video is concerned, sure most BDP's look the same. I have a relatively large SD DVD collection that the Oppo has given new life. I have yet to see a sub $500 player come anywhere close. If your media collection is all BD's you're golden and any player will do.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited January 2010
    Options
    vc69 wrote: »
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

I wonder what the Oppo would have sounded like on that rig. All I can say for sure is that the SE sounds great. I am quite aware of the fact that it can be improved upon and that there are better players out there. I can't afford any of them but I have heard some. The Oppo comes within a hare's breath of the best I have heard. Of course, to each his own, but I would try to actually listen to one before I wrote it off of my "short list".

I should add that as far a video is concerned, sure most BDP's look the same. I have a relatively large SD DVD collection that the Oppo has given new life. I have yet to see a sub $500 player come anywhere close. If your media collection is all BD's you're golden and any player will do.

The issue I would take exception to is that not all BPD players offer the same uers experience or expectation of performance and ease of use: players that can't stream lossless codecs, take FOREVER to load, are glitchy and require constant f/w updates to play current releases, have crummy GUIs, etc. et al.

The Oppo is the hot player at the moment

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not gonna tell anyone the Oppo's the holy grail... but in my search for a Blu-ray player that could also play DVD-Audio and SACD, it was the only player in town at a reasonable price point. Fortunately, it also has excellent build quality and is nice and fast (whereas most BD players outside of the PS3 are frustratingly slow). The network playback that has been added since I purchased mine is just a big ole' cherry on top.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Hey, I'm putting aluminum foil around mine, slap a piece of tape on it that says Lexicon SE and will have the first upgraded Lex on the market :eek:

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Bernal
    Bernal Posts: 991
    edited January 2010
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    I just auditioned the Denon using a Halo 21 amp/and pre through a set of GamuT speakers on a Pioneer Kuro screen, in a Hi-fi shop here in Beijing......It's a fabulous unit....I can't afford it but I would buy it if I had the money.

I've also almost never seen any really GREAT CD transport in a unit that was less than 20 pounds---have you? Most are 40lbs or more.....A lot of that is engineering for sound.

All I'm saying is we have a lot of Oppo fans here....but hey...there is a whole other world out there. Admittedly most of us can't afford it. But we should not make excessive claims about a product which is supposed to do everything for less than 900 dollars.

I don't think I'm saying anything confrontational or even controversial...just that there is another market out there.

And if I were going to buy a CD player or an SACD player it probably would not be an Oppo. Blu-ray fine...my point is that blu-ray is a technology that will become cheaper and cheaper and that in 2 years time--a less than 80 dollar BDP will be equal to the big bad Oppo of today in PQ! But as far as sound that would not be true of the higher end unit.

Bottom line, I am currently looking for a CD/SACD player...Oppo is NOT on the short list. It's all about audio...the minor variations in PQ between one 500-600 dollar BDP and another....could not even be noticed by the average consumer....ALL of the video looks great to them..and it is only in some rarified video tests that some processors are 5, 10 or 20 percent better than others.

We're cool...Oppo does have its niche in the market...and a very 'popular' one it seems!!

cnh
    MARANTZ
    SA-KI-PEARL < < NEW > > Reference Series SA-CD/CD Player
    Cirrus Logic CS4398
    1 DAC per channel

VRS

OPPO BDP-83
    Stereo Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC):
    Cirrus Logic CS4398
    7.1ch DAC: 1 DAC per channel
    Cirrus Logic CS4382A
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Bernal wrote: »
    MARANTZ
    SA-KI-PEARL < < NEW > > Reference Series SA-CD/CD Player
    Cirrus Logic CS4398
    1 DAC per channel

VRS

OPPO BDP-83
    Stereo Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC):
    Cirrus Logic CS4398
    7.1ch DAC: 1 DAC per channel
    Cirrus Logic CS4382A

If you think that using the same chip will make them sound the same, that would be a mistake.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited January 2010
    Options
    So many Oppo threads I don't know which to post in. Update your player gents. I like the new menu layout. Having the Oppo able to stream over my network is pretty darn cool too. It's amazing what this player can do and it seems they just keep adding to it. Sorry if I'm late with this info.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • louhamilton
    louhamilton Posts: 209
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I've been pleased with mine so far, but I do not use the analog outs. I use the HDMI out and let my Denon do all the processing. If I was in the market for one that had great analog processing, I would probably go all out for the Oppo NuForce player since it is still less than the Denon "big boy".
  • Bernal
    edited January 2010
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    If you think that using the same chip will make them sound the same, that would be a mistake.

Ok.
    Bitstream format.
    If it is true that digital sources transferred Bitstream format data to the processor and receiver that decodes the data. Why spend more money if the chip is equivalent to equal outcomes?:confused:
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Ok.
    Bitstream format.
    If it is true that digital sources transferred Bitstream format data to the processor and receiver that decodes the data. Why spend more money if the chip is equivalent to equal outcomes?:confused:

So you're saying the quality of the transport and the components used in the rest of the player doesn't matter?:confused:
  • Bernal
    edited January 2010
    Options
    So you're saying the quality of the transport and the components used in the rest of the player doesn't matter?:confused:

That's the question?... If the decoding is done by the receiver that a rule has better components, which also require the source components if you use Bitstream format for sending data.

"...BITSTREAM – Digital audio output via HDMI will be in bitstream format. This option is
    recommended when connecting the HDMI output to an A/V receiver or processor that
    supports advanced audio decoding, such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio...
    ...LPCM – Digital audio output via HDMI will be multi-channel Linear PCM format. When this
    option is selected, compressed audio bit streams will be decoded by the player. This
    setting is recommended when connecting the HDMI output directly to a TV or to a receiver without advanced audio decoding capabilities...
    http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP83/BDP-83_English_Manual.pdf "
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You really have no idea about Audio, sound quality, do you ?

Please spare us the definitions, might be usefull over at the Bose forum though. You seem caught up on decoders and chips, brotha, you have a looong way to go.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Bernal
    edited January 2010
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    you really have no idea about audio, sound quality, do you ?

Please spare us the definitions, might be usefull over at the bose forum though. You seem caught up on decoders and chips, brotha, you have a looong way to go.

Wrong. Simply, give a comment with a question to hear and learn from the experts
  • tonyb
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Experts being....who exactly ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The NYT is now an expert in audio....guess I have to take your word for it huh. Anyway,nobody is denying the bdp-83 isn't a great player, just not the be all end all in SQ, You have a problem with that statement,my good man ? If we can agree on that,the rest of this thread is mute.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Ok.
    Bitstream format.

You lost me. I thought we were talking about SACD/CD playback.
    That's the question?... If the decoding is done by the receiver that a rule has better components, which also require the source components if you use Bitstream format for sending data.

If your AVR has a better DAC than your SACD/CD player, you really need a new SACD/CD player.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Amherst
    Amherst Posts: 695
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Ron Temple wrote: »
    Hey, I'm putting aluminum foil around mine, slap a piece of tape on it that says Lexicon SE and will have the first upgraded Lex on the market :eek:

Hey, How's that new "Lex" sounding by the way? Was the new DAC upgrade worth it?:cool:
    Parasound C1, T3, HCA-3500, HCA-2205A, P/DD1550, Pioneer DV-79avi, Oppo BDP-83, WD Media Server W/HDD,
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3, Dynaudio Contour T2.1, Polk OWM3, Polk DSW micropro 1000 (x2),
    Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma, Phillips Pronto Control w/Niles HT-MSU.
  • Bernal
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You lost me. I thought we were talking about SACD/CD playback.

That's right. It was a comment.
    If your AVR has a better DAC than your SACD/CD player, you really need a new SACD/CD player.

I have Denon AVR 4308Ci in Home Theater and Denon AVR 4810Ci for my stereo system. When used with Oppo, to hear an SACD disc I get amazing results. It's better than my SA8003 SA-CD/CD
  • newsman
    newsman Posts: 200
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I haven't heard Oppo 83SE, but I wouldn't knock just based on the amount of positive feedback it received. 83SE is really a different animal from regular 83 when looking at them strictly as CD/SACD players. They have modified analogue stage and put the latest SACD DACs inside. I'm looking for a new SACD player and possibly replace my PS3 as a Blu-Ray player and Oppo is on top of my list right now. I have Sony SCD555ES and people reported that Oppo 83SE beat 777ES which is a higher end unit than mine.
  • vc69
    edited January 2010
    Options
    newsman wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I haven't heard Oppo 83SE, but I wouldn't knock just based on the amount of positive feedback it received. 83SE is really a different animal from regular 83 when looking at them strictly as CD/SACD players. They have modified analogue stage and put the latest SACD DACs inside. I'm looking for a new SACD player and possibly replace my PS3 as a Blu-Ray player and Oppo is on top of my list right now. I have Sony SCD555ES and people reported that Oppo 83SE beat 777ES which is a higher end unit than mine.

I have heard both as I recently upgraded my -83 to an SE. Here is a little writeup I did:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1241485&postcount=118
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Ron Temple
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Amherst wrote: »
    Hey, How's that new "Lex" sounding by the way? Was the new DAC upgrade worth it?:cool:
    Sure...if you're an analog guy like me using legacy equipment or want an all in one solution for 2 channel on a budget. The new soundboard upgrade was an inexpensive price to get a larger slice. On the analog side, the SE is a big step up over an already pretty darned good 83. I've read where many prefer the analog to HDMI, since the DACs are better on the player than their AVR/pre. $900 for a new SE sounds pretty steep for a BD player, but if you compare it to an upscale transport, plus equivalent DAC, it makes economic sense...plus you get a BD player to boot. Hell, when I'm feeling flush, I'll probably send it over to Modwright and have it really tricked out.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • vc69
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Hell, when I'm feeling flush, I'll probably send it over to Modwright and have it really tricked out.

Same here :)
    -Kevin
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Bernal
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Oppo introduces new models with similar features to its flagship

• kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited January 2010
    Options
    All this talk about DACs and blah blah... Thank God I'm perfectly happy with the sound I get from my Oppo/Onkyo TX-NR1007 combo.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • Amherst
    Amherst Posts: 695
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Sure...if you're an analog guy like me using legacy equipment or want an all in one solution for 2 channel on a budget. The new soundboard upgrade was an inexpensive price to get a larger slice. On the analog side, the SE is a big step up over an already pretty darned good 83. I've read where many prefer the analog to HDMI, since the DACs are better on the player than their AVR/pre. $900 for a new SE sounds pretty steep for a BD player, but if you compare it to an upscale transport, plus equivalent DAC, it makes economic sense...plus you get a BD player to boot. Hell, when I'm feeling flush, I'll probably send it over to Modwright and have it really tricked out.

Good News, will have to start saving and send mine out someday.

Don't think I'll get that "flush" feeling for fear of the wifey wanting to draw blood instead!
    Parasound C1, T3, HCA-3500, HCA-2205A, P/DD1550, Pioneer DV-79avi, Oppo BDP-83, WD Media Server W/HDD,
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3, Dynaudio Contour T2.1, Polk OWM3, Polk DSW micropro 1000 (x2),
    Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma, Phillips Pronto Control w/Niles HT-MSU.
  • Ron Temple
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Amherst wrote: »
    Good News, will have to start saving and send mine out someday.

Don't think I'll get that "flush" feeling for fear of the wifey wanting to draw blood instead!
    Well you're kind of stuck with upgrading to the Nuforce (NE). They'll swapout the 83 board with the NE board (an upgraded SE board), but it's much more expensive...about a grand I think. Oppo isn't upgrading 83s anymore, you have to buy the $900 SE player from them.

You can always sell a few units of blood or genius sperm for your audio fund every week until you can afford it:p:D.

Oops...THE UPGRADE OPTION IS STILL ALIVE ON THE OPPO SITE>>>SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS FOLKS< MY LAPTOP IS GOING BUGGY AGAIN>

ANYWAY IT"S STILL GOOD IF YOU PURCHASED BEFORE NOV ninth

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Bernal
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player Bench Test Review Supplemental
    by Gene DellaSala

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/oppo-bdp-83

"... HDMI Digital Audio Test

Unfortunately Audio Precision doesn’t yet support Bit Error Rate (BER) testing on the APx585 HDMI Audio Analyzer via the HDMI output for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD test, so my testing was limited to real world usage tests in this regard. I tested whatever was relevant via the HDMI output of the Oppo BDP-83 to determine its performance.
    image_preview

This test result is rather boring upon first glance but what it tells you is that utilizing the HDMI output of the Oppo, it passes DD/DTS bitsteams bit for bit accurate to your AVR. In fact, if any errors were present, the AVR wouldn’t be able to decode the formats. Since I physically tested every format that the Oppo supports with actual software, it’s safe to assume the BDP-83 will pass BER with 0% errors for TrueHD and DTS-HD.

Editorial Note on BER Testing

A BER of 0% is essential for all bitstreams (ie. DD, DTS, TrueHD, etc) to pass through the player to the AVR for proper decoding. The same doesn’t apply for PCM data however as many players often upsample 44kHz, 16bit audio you get from a CD and thus alters the original data played from the disc. This usually results in failed BER tests but not necessarily bad audio performance. It’s important to check other aspects of the signal such as frequency response and THD after the digital to analog conversion stage to get a clearer picture of what is going on.

image_preview

The Oppo BDP-83 passed an 8-channel 96kHz / 24 bit test signal via the HDMI output perfectly as can be seen by the above ruler flat frequency response from 20Hz to 20kHz.

Analog Output Tests

For those rare users buying this player that don’t yet have an HDMI 1.3 AVR capable of decoding the latest surround formats, I tested the analog outputs of the Oppo BDP-83 to see how it performed that function.
    image_preview

The frequency response was ruler flat from 20Hz to 20kHz for all channels.

With a single channel driven at each time, I checked adjacent channels and measured around -100dB or better at 10kHz which is excellent. When running all channels but one as the disturbers, the channel under test was still under -95dB at 10kHz which again is a stellar result and shows the careful attention Oppo paid to board layout and signal routing.

Wrap-Up
    The Oppo BDP-83 is everything and more that everyone has been claiming it to be. It’s easy to setup and use and the user manual is among the most concisely written and organized I’ve come across for any DVD/Blu-ray machine.

Without coming off as a pure fan boy for this product, I’d like to simply state if you’re looking for an all-in-one Blu-ray machine that will also play back high resolution multi channel audio formats, I can’t think of a better product at even 5x the cost. It’s so good that “high end” companies are using the core of this player, slapping their faceplates and logos on it and selling it to their loyal customers for $3k more than Oppo is offering it up for.

While its analog capabilities are truly respectable, I highly recommend mating this player with an HDMI 1.3 capable AVR and using a single HDMI connection to serve all of your audio and video needs. Imagine for under $500, you can enjoy your entire collection of CD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD and Blu-ray discs on this affordable, highly usable dream machine!..."
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2010
    Options
    As Finut1 says above the argument has NOTHING to do with HDMI video processing but with AUDIO....the above 'admits' that there are OTHER factors involved in 'audio' performance ESPECIALLY for CD/SACD performance....

Yes the Oppo makes a 'good' player for most people who want a Universal Player. But have you heard a HIGH END SACD player! That's where the problem is.

A unit as light as an Oppo can't possibly have the BEST transport and jitter control, noise reduction circuitry in it (for audio).

No one is saying it is bad...just that there ARE better AUDIO units!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It’s so good that audioholics states that Lexicon is using the core of this player, inside a heavy enclosure/chasis, added a Lexicon splash screen to the menu system, adding their billet aluminum faceplate, and logos on it and selling for $3k more than Oppo is offering it up for.

Fixed it for ya!