OPPO BDP-83 It is simply spectacular ....

Options

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Great setup pics!

I guess you like Denon very much. :)

I used to like Denon a lot, going back to Denon AVC-3030 which was a solidly build integrated. Then Denon 2808, DVD-3800. I was dissapointed when DVD-3800 became so problematic and Denon was dismissive of the problem. But, I digress...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2010
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Well, Denon doesn't make a very expensive SACD/CD on the level of Marantz or Esoteric. We have plenty of members here that have compared Oppo's to true high end SACD/CD players and no, the Oppo is not all that.

I can attest to that. I purchased a "highly acclaimed" Oppo and it sounded awful. I then mated it with a Timbre DAC and it sounded okay but nowhere near as good my Denon or my Raysonic.
  • Bernal
    Bernal Posts: 991
    edited February 2010
    Options
    polkatese wrote: »
    Great setup pics!

I guess you like Denon very much. :)

I used to like Denon a lot, going back to Denon AVC-3030 which was a solidly build integrated. Then Denon 2808, DVD-3800. I was dissapointed when DVD-3800 became so problematic and Denon was dismissive of the problem. But, I digress...

Thanks.
    Denon DVD and Blue Ray did not fulfill expectations, then came into my life Oppo. Very Happy.
    I like Denon, I had problems with Marantz; to future: preamplifier MBL this in my thought.
  • Bernal
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I can attest to that. I purchased a "highly acclaimed" Oppo and it sounded awful. I then mated it with a Timbre DAC and it sounded okay but nowhere near as good my Denon or my Raysonic.

Raysonic Tube CD-Player? When we are in tube technology, the scale is different.
    Denon CD/DVD of last years was a nightmare
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Bernal wrote: »
    Raysonic Tube CD-Player? When we are in tube technology, the scale is different.

I'll give you that one.
    Denon CD/DVD of last years was a nightmare

Not true of the 2900 IMHO. I haven't even had it modded yet and it is still better than the "highly acclaimed" (by both Stereophile & The Absolute Sound) Oppo I have.

BTW both magazines called it a "giant killer." My ****.
  • Bernal
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I'll give you that one.

Not true of the 2900 IMHO. I haven't even had it modded yet and it is still better than the "highly acclaimed" (by both Stereophile & The Absolute Sound) Oppo I have.

BTW both magazines called it a "giant killer." My ****.

Ok.
    I like Denon, I have two AVR (4308Ci/4819Ci). Excellent and very happy.
    DVD / CD I was unlucky. It was not satisfactory in the basics. (DVD 2900: S-video failure: repair twice).
    DENON DVD-2500BTCI: Blu-ray Disc™ DVD/CD Digital Player/Transport, is good, and still have it. I prefer Oppo.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited February 2010
    Options
    My Oppo cures cancer. But then, once you're all happy and cancer free, it gives you rickets. Pretty sneaky, Oppo!
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    Options
    My Oppo cures cancer. But then, once you're all happy and cancer free, it gives you rickets. Pretty sneaky, Oppo!

lmao!
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited February 2010
    Options
    That's not rickets it's herpes...:p

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Bernal
    edited February 2010
    Options
    :D
    Originally Posted by kuntasensei
    Ron Temple wrote: »
    That's not rickets it's herpes...:p

:D:D:D:DNow the topic to Medicine: Well there, quantica medicine and Oppo present:

top_r1_c1.jpg

http://www.oppomedical.com/.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    Options
    LOL!!! Are you on Oppo's payroll?:D:p
  • kuntasensei
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Didn't I mention? After the rickets/herpes, you're infected with a slavish devotion to the company which manifests itself in a need to post every review of their product instead of actually using it.

It's a sickness, I tell you. A SICKNESS! :D
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • digitalvideo
    digitalvideo Posts: 983
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I have the Oppo bdp-83 and I only have used it for bluray so far and it's connected through HDMI to my Pio sc05 reciever. I'd like to watch some dvd's on it. Do I need to wire it through analog to get sound from the dvd or can I just use HDMI?

For blurays I always have the Oppo set to 1080p/24fps and my Pio to 'Auto'. I heard that if the Oppo is set to 1080/24fps while playing dvd's it can create tearing of the image and other image problems. Should I just set the Oppo to 1080p/60 for dvd's for best picture?

I'm thinking of buying a second Oppo for my basement HT when it's finished. Can I hook the Oppo up straight to my Pio plasma with no reciever and get PCM, Dolby True HD, DTS MA with no reciever just using the HDMI from the Oppo to the tv?
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited February 2010
    Options
    These Oppo talks give me goosebumps. It sounds nastier than the H1N1 infection and seem no cure yet. :D
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • kuntasensei
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I have the Oppo bdp-83 and I only have used it for bluray so far and it's connected through HDMI to my Pio sc05 reciever. I'd like to watch some dvd's on it. Do I need to wire it through analog to get sound from the dvd or can I just use HDMI?

For blurays I always have the Oppo set to 1080p/24fps and my Pio to 'Auto'. I heard that if the Oppo is set to 1080/24fps while playing dvd's it can create tearing of the image and other image problems. Should I just set the Oppo to 1080p/60 for dvd's for best picture?

I'm thinking of buying a second Oppo for my basement HT when it's finished. Can I hook the Oppo up straight to my Pio plasma with no reciever and get PCM, Dolby True HD, DTS MA with no reciever just using the HDMI from the Oppo to the tv?

It will pass the sound from DVD over HDMI, so you're good. And 1080p/24 for Blu-rays and for DVD are two separate settings on the Oppo, and you should definitely leave 24fps mode OFF for DVD.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Bernal
    edited February 2010
    Options
    it will pass the sound from dvd over hdmi, so you're good. And 1080p/24 for blu-rays and for dvd are two separate settings on the oppo, and you should definitely leave 24fps mode off for dvd.

:) + 1
  • digitalvideo
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Do any of you know what the next Oppo bluray player will be that replaces the bdp-83 and when it will come out? End of 2010 or beginning of 2011? Will it have a newer Anchor Bay chip?

Also, do any of you think it should include all the internet streaming features that are found on the cheaper Samsung's and LG bd players like:

Bonus View
    WiFi wireless adapter included
    Netflix/Panadora streaming
    YouTube
    Amazon
    Pay per view movies
    Mediafly
    DivX SD/HD playback

I heard Oppo will include Blutv from Dreamer in the future.
  • Bernal
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Do any of you know what the next Oppo bluray player will be that replaces the bdp-83 and when it will come out? End of 2010 or beginning of 2011? Will it have a newer Anchor Bay chip?

Also, do any of you think it should include all the internet streaming features that are found on the cheaper Samsung's and LG bd players like:

Bonus View
    YouTube
    Amazon
    Pay per view movies
    Mediafly
    DivX SD/HD playback

BD-Live™ - The BDP-83 support BD "Profile 2.0" and contains all necessary hardware - audio/video decoder, Ethernet port, and 1GB of internal storage - for BD-Live.

BonusVIEW - BD "Profile 1.1" enables "picture-in-picture" and secondary audio features for viewing director or actor commentary while the main movie is playing.

Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MKV, and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs or USB drives can be played back on the BDP-83.

The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses the state-of-the-art Sabre32 family of Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) from ESS Technology. The Sabre32 family is known as one of the industry's highest performance audio DACs and are often found in high-end audiophile and professional equipments. The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses an 8-channel Sabre Premier (ES9006) DAC chip for its 7.1 multi-channel output. The dedicated stereo output uses another 8-channel Sabre32 Ultra (ES9016) DAC chip by stacking 4 DACs for each of the Left and Right channels to achieve even greater audio performance.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/
  • digitalvideo
    edited February 2010
    Options
    BD-Live™ - The BDP-83 support BD "Profile 2.0" and contains all necessary hardware - audio/video decoder, Ethernet port, and 1GB of internal storage - for BD-Live.

BonusVIEW - BD "Profile 1.1" enables "picture-in-picture" and secondary audio features for viewing director or actor commentary while the main movie is playing.

Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MKV, and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs or USB drives can be played back on the BDP-83.

The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses the state-of-the-art Sabre32 family of Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) from ESS Technology. The Sabre32 family is known as one of the industry's highest performance audio DACs and are often found in high-end audiophile and professional equipments. The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses an 8-channel Sabre Premier (ES9006) DAC chip for its 7.1 multi-channel output. The dedicated stereo output uses another 8-channel Sabre32 Ultra (ES9016) DAC chip by stacking 4 DACs for each of the Left and Right channels to achieve even greater audio performance.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/

The bdp-83SE looks nice, but I heard it's not a replacement for the bdp-83, just a version for audiophiles who prefer 2 channel analog audio. Oppo said the regular bdp-83 is more suited for HDMI movies while the 83SE is more suited for analog. I was more specifically refering to the next bdp-83 that will replace it in it's price range.
  • kuntasensei
    edited February 2010
    Options

Bonus View
    YouTube
    Amazon
    Pay per view movies
    Mediafly
    DivX SD/HD playback

BluTV was already added to the BDP-83 in the last firmware update, as was media playback over your home network. Also, the BDP-83 does play DivX files (even 1080p ones), but currently has trouble with the most recent profile of the .mkv format that most people use. This is not an Oppo problem so much as that they need a software update from the company who makes their decoder chipset to make it compatible (which I don't think is a priority for them at this point).

We'll see if they add anything else. Personally, I'm impressed as hell by the stuff that they've added since I got mine. It was a nice bonus to get media playback from DLNA servers added with a simple firmware update.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • digitalvideo
    edited February 2010
    Options
    How many parts does Oppo make "in house" or designed by Oppo and isn't 3rd party companies and distributors that put their products into Oppo players? Does Oppo mostly cherry pick which products to use from other companies? That's one of the reasons I like Apple products, one of the few electronic companies that tries to keep as much of their own Apple made products in their systems for better quality control even though it's more expensive to do it that way but you get better quality. I'm about to throw my HP Microsift Windows computer at the wall if you know what I mean.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited February 2010
    Options
    As a universal player it really is a Swiss Army Knife, and for those owners who have a wide variety of media in a single rig system, it makes plenty of sense. But, if you don't see yourself in that situation, there are other choices that may make better sense.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Bernal
    edited February 2010
    Options
    markmarc wrote: »
    as a universal player it really is a swiss army knife, and for those owners who have a wide variety of media in a single rig system, it makes plenty of sense. But, if you don't see yourself in that situation, there are other choices that may make better sense.

+> 1∜
  • polkatese
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Has anyone compared DD vs. TrueHD or DTS vs. DTS-MA on this player? night and day? subtle? more dynamics. etc.? I'd be very interested to hear, especially for those who has owned the unit for a few months..TIA
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited February 2010
    Options
    The lossless codecs are definitely noticeable vs compressed DD and DTS. It's like anything else however, you won't do much comparison after the initial upgrade. DVDs still sound good, BDs better. Once you're in the movie or have seen enough BDs, you'll stop paying so much attention and just enjoy it and forget about which codec is playing.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Ron Temple wrote: »
    The lossless codecs are definitely noticeable vs compressed DD and DTS. It's like anything else however, you won't do much comparison after the initial upgrade. DVDs still sound good, BDs better. Once you're in the movie or have seen enough BDs, you'll stop paying so much attention and just enjoy it and forget about which codec is playing.

Defintiely this. I did notice how much better the Oppo sounds over my Panasonic BD30. The SQ is unreal with this player, of course the image quality is the shizzle.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Are we still talking about the Oppo? Sheeeesh......haven't we exhausted this topic?

Me, I'm NOT buying one....will stick with my Pioneer Blu-ray and buy a used, dedicated SACD/CD player...as good as I can afford...that's where audio is at.

Oppo....a good Blu-ray with SACD capabilities that are OK....DACs (alone) do NOT the great player make!

And besides all this talk has given me H1N1 or something because I came back to Beijing from vacation and my entire family had fevers..I'm still coughing as I type this...should I take two Oppo and go to bed?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • polkatese
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Thanks Ron and Sherardp. I guess I am trying to gauge the value of TrueHD and DTS-MA in itself. Perhaps DVD-A is another consideration since I am pretty content with my SACD player.

cnh, hope you can stay away from H1N1.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2010
    Options
    The Oppo BDP-83 is a great Blu-Ray player well worth the money on it's own....all the extra features with a quality that can't be beat just makes it that much better than most of the competition.

If you are in the market for a Blu-Ray player the BDP-83 is a great call. Don't be confused by the imitators. There's a reason Oppo has made such a name for itself as an internet only company. :)