OPPO BDP-83 It is simply spectacular ....

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2009
    I want one. My PS3 Blu Ray drive just died on me :(
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Bernal
    Bernal Posts: 991
    edited October 2009
    I want one. My PS3 Blu Ray drive just died on me :(

http://www.oppodigital.com/cart.asp?rp=products%2Easp
  • Bernal
    edited November 2009
    http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=42&blogId=1
    Blu-ray Disc Player & DLP High-Definition TV
    OPPO BDP-83 & Mitsubishi WD-73835
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited November 2009
    Bernal wrote: »
    http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=42&blogId=1
    Blu-ray Disc Player & DLP High-Definition TV
    OPPO BDP-83 & Mitsubishi WD-73835

I can't believe DLPs are still being made along with rainbows and their other artifacts, while Sony and JVC dropped the XRCD/LCOS technology, except for projectors. Those TVs put plasma and LCDs to shame, but the public had to have thin screen.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited November 2009
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I can't believe DLPs are still being made along with rainbows and their other artifacts, while Sony and JVC dropped the XRCD/LCOS technology, except for projectors. Those TVs put plasma and LCDs to shame, but the public had to have thin screen.

Probably because not everyone sees rainbows. I can see the effect on mine, but only when I purposely look away very fast. If I'm watching it normally, no rainbows. I'm not sure what you meant by "other artifacts", care to elaborate? I compared the Mits that I bought next to an XRCD. The XRCD was only very slightly better (sharper) to my eyes, but definitely not a $1000 difference as reflected on the price tags. (2006 models)

As always, YMMV.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited November 2009
    Probably because not everyone sees rainbows. I can see the effect on mine, but only when I purposely look away very fast. If I'm watching it normally, no rainbows. I'm not sure what you meant by "other artifacts", care to elaborate?

I was under the impression that fast moving scenes blurred on DLPs. I did find this on Wiki

Dithering noise may be noticeable, especially in dark image areas. Newer (post ~2004) chip generations have less noise than older ones.

Error-diffusion artifacts caused by averaging a shade over different pixels, since one pixel cannot render the shade exactly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Light_Processing

The whole concept of spinning mirrors just seems like flaky technology. Granted, it probably works, but LCOS was, and still is the better technology for large screen TVs.

My room is to small for a projector, but a 72" XRCD would have been perfect.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Bernal
    edited November 2009
    After careful evaluation of the resources available, it has been determined that the release of the OPPO BDP-831 Blu-ray Disc player in Europe will be postponed indefinitely. It is with sincere regret that we have to make this difficult decision. However, we feel that this is in the best interest of our customers and quality standards. Customer support and satisfaction are the cornerstones of OPPO, and with the currently available resources, unfortunately we will not be able to equally serve all our European customers with the release of the BDP-831. Language barriers, shipping constraints, and our ability to quickly, efficiently, and accurately support our valuable European customers undermine the quality standards expected of OPPO. We apologize to the customers who love and support OPPO all along and have been waiting for the release of BDP-831 patiently, and hope we can come back with better planning and resources in the future to serve our customers the best.
    http://www.oppostore.co.uk

OPPO
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited November 2009
    Just curious... Why is this thread in the Speakers forum? Shouldn't it be in Electronics?
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2009
    Buy my Emo
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited November 2009
    Just curious... Why is this thread in the Speakers forum? Shouldn't it be in Electronics?

I think Bernal's zealous posting habits missed the mark a little. Eesh...:p
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Bernal
    edited November 2009
    It is very simple. Born here by mistake and I know of a way to transfer.
    Perhaps the site administrator could make the transfer.
    The information has been shared and that's important.
    :)
  • Bernal
    edited November 2009
    image1.jpg

http://www.nuforce.com/hi/products/oppo_bdp83se/index.php#

Shipping November 18.

Extracting high-quality audio from Blu-ray players is problematic. The HDMI signal interleaves video and audio data which, upon decoding, produces an inherent jitter as high as 7nanoseconds (For comparison, a good CD player’s jitter is in the picosecond range). In practical terms, it is difficult to properly decode HDMI audio without employing extensive reclocking circuits, thus pushing up the cost of a good HDMI audio pre-processor.

The simplest way to improve analog audio performance is at the source. The Oppo BDP-83SE player incorporates ESS Technology’s state-of-the-art Sabre DAC, widely acknowledged as one of the industry’s best. The 7.1 multi-channel unit employs a single 8-channel Sabre DAC. The stereo channels’ dedicated Sabre DAC is achieved by stacking four DACs per left and right channel for utmost transparency and dynamic range.

The Nuforce Edition elevates performance yet further by replacing critical analog components with the high-grade equivalents NuForce uses in its high-end audio components. The result is a better power supply and optimized analog signal paths. As always, the proof is in the listening. The improvements in stereo (CD, SACD, DVD-A, BD Audio), and L/R/C movie outputs are clearly audible.

The standard Oppo BDP-83SE offers exemplary audio performance. The Nuforce Edition goes a step further in transparency, dynamics, and detail retrieval. As is typical of all Nuforce products, these benefits relate directly to our high-end product line in the preservation of musical truth.

OPPO BDP-83SE Upgrade

Upgrade From

BDP-83SE
    MSRP $899

BDP-83SE NuForce Edition
    MSRP $1295

BDP-83

$400 (upgrade price)

$796 (upgrade price)

Nuforce is authorized to perform upgrade of standard BDP-83. The upgraded audio board will have one year warranty. After the upgrade, customer should contact Nuforce (not OPPO) for any warranty support issues.

Special trade-in program: Trade-in your used* BDP-83 towards the BDP-83SE NuForce Edition for $995.
    (* Used BDP-83SE must be in working and good condition).
    Note: Due to the shortage of BDP-83SE audio board, all upgrade will be queued and processed one batch at a time. Trade-in order would have higher priority than upgrade.

Contact oppo@nuforce.com for questions or submit this form to get on the upgrade or trade-in order queue. We will contact you when we are ready to process your upgrade or trade-in order.
  • Bernal
    edited November 2009
    November 9, 2009 - OPPO Digital Chooses ESS's New Sabre32 Audio DAC For Its Flagship BDP-83 Special Edition Blu-ray Player
  • kuntasensei
    edited December 2009
    FYI: New public beta firmware is up! Adds network streaming from DLNA servers (which works well), BluTV (some sort of interactive television service - haven't tried it yet), and subtitle shifting. I'm playing around with it now, and so far, so good!
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited December 2009
    I read on Audioholics that there is a problem with sub summing for MC analog outs when other speakers are set to small - the sub signal is overdriven into clipping.

Oppo recommends running all speakers large when using MC analog out until the problem is solved.

This is only for the SE version and only if using MC analog ICs.

I've got the standard 83 version and have it hooked both HDMI (movies and SACDs) and analog for CDs.

I'd like to read if any has direct comparisons between the standard and SE version in 2Ch analog out.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • vc69
    edited December 2009
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    I'd like to read if any has direct comparisons between the standard and SE version in 2Ch analog out.

I believe Ron Temple has had his upgraded to the SE and I am without mine for the holidays as it is being upgraded. There is a dedicated thread at AVS with some good write-ups you might find useful.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited December 2009
    vc69 wrote: »
    I believe Ron Temple has had his upgraded to the SE and I am without mine for the holidays as it is being upgraded. There is a dedicated thread at AVS with some good write-ups you might find useful.

Yeah - I've been reading some of that thread, but most are about the MCH analog performance. I haven't hit on any with just 2CH comparisons.

Does the SE version use different DACs for the 2CH outputs like most players and AVRs (where the 2Ch DACs are slightly better than the MCH DACs)?

Thanks!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • vc69
    edited December 2009
    Yeah - I've been reading some of that thread, but most are about the MCH analog performance. I haven't hit on any with just 2CH comparisons.

Ted_b has done some standard 83/83SE comparisons. Click here for one of them.

So have several others. Two channel is my primary reason for upgrading.
    Does the SE version use different DACs for the 2CH outputs like most players and AVRs (where the 2Ch DACs are slightly better than the MCH DACs)?

Thanks!

Yes ESS9016 stacked for two channel and ESS9006 for multi-channel.
    -Kevin
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2010
    Bernal wrote: »
    Hi,
    I want to share that I get the new "OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player w/SACD & DVD-Audio"
    It is simply spectacular ....:)

http://www.hometheatermag.com/discplayers/oppo_bdp-83_universal_blu-ray_player/index.html

01) DENON AVR-4308CI: Advanced 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH/ 3.1+2+2 CH A/V Home Theater /MultiMedia Multi-Source/Zone Receiver with Networking and WiFi/170 watts x 7 channels
    02) SUNFIRE Grand Signature - Bob Carver's
    03) OPPO DV-980H 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI and 7.1CH Audio
    04) OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player w/SACD & DVD-Audio / DENON DVD-2500BTCI: Blu-ray Disc™ DVD/CD Digital Player/Transport
    05) HITACHI P55T501. 55" HD1080 Plasma HDTV
    06) POLKAUDIO LSiC (Center speaker)
    07) POLKAUDIO LSi15 LEFT (Front speaker)
    08) POLKAUDIO LSi15 RIGHT (Front speaker)
    09) POLKAUDIO LSif/x LEFT (Surround speaker)
    10) POLKAUDIO LSif/x RIGHT (Surround speaker)
    11) VELODYNE OPTIMUN SERIES (High Output Digital EQ SubWoofer 2400W/1200WRMS)

Thank you sir, I may have to check it out.
  • Bernal
    edited January 2010
    Oppo Digital – BDP-83 Blu Ray/Universal Player & the BDP-83 Special Edition Blu Ray/Universal Player
    Robinson's Brutus Awards for 2009
    by David W. Robinson

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue46/brutus_awards.htm

brutus9.jpg
  • Bernal
    edited January 2010
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/product-reviews/oppo-bdp-83-review/

Conclusion

The Oppo BDP-83 offers solid construction, lightning-fast response, sensational audio and video quality, and can play just about any type of disc. Though it lacks the streaming media features we’re coming to expect in modern Blu-ray players and may seem a bit pricey for those just getting into the format, take note. We feel that the device’s stellar performance and considerable build quality more than make up for any shortcomings.

Highs:

Superb picture and audio quality
    Extremely fast
    Plays back SACD, DVD-Audio and many other formats
    Solid build
    6’ HDMI cable included
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2010
    The real problem with the Oppo will be in CD and SACD audio performance...let's not get carried away! A unit that is not even 20 lbs (12.5 lbs)...is not going to match a Universal player that has a **** load of audio processing addded to it. You can't get all that in so small a case!

For me it's ALL about Audio so I really I'm not particularly impressed by how small a margin the Oppo plays what is already a stellar format on even a low end player (Bluray, that is).

In other words I find it all much adieu about nothing. BDPs are going to get cheaper and cheaper and better and better and the Oppo will be overpriced in that category.

On the other end it is not going to compete AUDIO wise with multi-thousand dollar players by Marantz, Denon, and McIntosh?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Bernal
    edited January 2010
    cnh wrote: »
    The real problem with the Oppo will be in CD and SACD audio performance...let's not get carried away! A unit that is not even 20 lbs (12.5 lbs)...is not going to match a Universal player that has a **** load of audio processing addded to it. You can't get all that in so small a case!

For me it's ALL about Audio so I really I'm not particularly impressed by how small a margin the Oppo plays what is already a stellar format on even a low end player (Bluray, that is).

In other words I find it all much adieu about nothing. BDPs are going to get cheaper and cheaper and better and better and the Oppo will be overpriced in that category.

On the other end it is not going to compete AUDIO wise with multi-thousand dollar players by Marantz, Denon, and McIntosh?

cnh

"...The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses the state-of-the-art Sabre32 family of Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) from ESS Technology. The Sabre32 family is known as one of the industry's highest performance audio DACs and are often found in high-end audiophile and professional equipments. The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses an 8-channel Sabre Premier (ES9006) DAC chip for its 7.1 multi-channel output. The dedicated stereo output uses another 8-channel Sabre32 Ultra (ES9016) DAC chip by stacking 4 DACs for each of the Left and Right channels to achieve even greater audio performance...."
  • Amherst
    Amherst Posts: 695
    edited January 2010
    Is there any comments from members on the new network capabilities of this unit?

Just started messing around with it and found it working pretty well with Windows Media File shares. Music seems to sound pretty darn good.

Would like to be able to use the laptop to control the 83 instead of needing the display thou, anyone have a work around?

All in all, the networking seems to me to be a nice bonus to the unit.
    Parasound C1, T3, HCA-3500, HCA-2205A, P/DD1550, Pioneer DV-79avi, Oppo BDP-83, WD Media Server W/HDD,
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3, Dynaudio Contour T2.1, Polk OWM3, Polk DSW micropro 1000 (x2),
    Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma, Phillips Pronto Control w/Niles HT-MSU.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited January 2010
    Bernal,

If you learn anything here, be it that chip sets/dacs alone do not make a great player.

That aside, a blu-ray/sacd player for 900 bucks is allready borderline outdated. Plenty of well built,great sounding sacd players exist, not to mention that the sacd format is pretty much kaput, plenty of cheap good performing blu-ray players are out there also. With green ray on the horizon, why would anyone sink big coin into this technology ? Fact is, the speed at which new technology keeps rolling out, anything you buy today will be outdated in 2 years. Why spend big bucks ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kuntasensei
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, the network stuff works fairly well. I wish they would fix the issue with newer MKV files not playing right, because that would be nice to have... but all in all, it was a nice free upgrade to a player that was already pretty damn solid.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • RutgersFTW
    RutgersFTW Posts: 458
    edited January 2010
    Did everyone see that story on Audioholics where Lexicon passed a 83 off as their player? Kind of hilarious if it weren't so sad.
    Currently listening to:

Marantz SR5004
    Sony BDP-S370
    Apple TV V2
    Audio Technica AT-LP120
    Mirage CMD-5 x 5
    Bic H-100
  • vc69
    edited January 2010
    cnh wrote: »

<snip>

cnh

Have you ever heard any of the players you are talking about or is this all just opinion and conjecture?
    tonyb wrote: »
    Why spend big bucks ?

$900 (SE) is hardly "big bucks" for a player of this caliber.
    -Kevin
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2010
    I just auditioned the Denon using a Halo 21 amp/and pre through a set of GamuT speakers on a Pioneer Kuro screen, in a Hi-fi shop here in Beijing......It's a fabulous unit....I can't afford it but I would buy it if I had the money.

I've also almost never seen any really GREAT CD transport in a unit that was less than 20 pounds---have you? Most are 40lbs or more.....A lot of that is engineering for sound.

All I'm saying is we have a lot of Oppo fans here....but hey...there is a whole other world out there. Admittedly most of us can't afford it. But we should not make excessive claims about a product which is supposed to do everything for less than 900 dollars.

I don't think I'm saying anything confrontational or even controversial...just that there is another market out there.

And if I were going to buy a CD player or an SACD player it probably would not be an Oppo. Blu-ray fine...my point is that blu-ray is a technology that will become cheaper and cheaper and that in 2 years time--a less than 80 dollar BDP will be equal to the big bad Oppo of today in PQ! But as far as sound that would not be true of the higher end unit.

Bottom line, I am currently looking for a CD/SACD player...Oppo is NOT on the short list. It's all about audio...the minor variations in PQ between one 500-600 dollar BDP and another....could not even be noticed by the average consumer....ALL of the video looks great to them..and it is only in some rarified video tests that some processors are 5, 10 or 20 percent better than others.

We're cool...Oppo does have its niche in the market...and a very 'popular' one it seems!!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]