OPPO BDP-83 It is simply spectacular ....

Options

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2010
    Options
    If I don't need advanced DAC, wouldn't the BDP-80 would suffice?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2010
    Options
    polkatese wrote: »
    If I don't need advanced DAC, wouldn't the BDP-80 would suffice?

The upscaling of SD DVDs on the BDP-83 is much much better than the BDP-80. If you're not going to be doing much of that and don't need an advanced DAC the BDP-80 would be the way to go because the Blu-Ray playback is stellar. :)
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Has anyone compared DD vs. TrueHD or DTS vs. DTS-MA on this player? night and day? subtle? more dynamics. etc.? I'd be very interested to hear, especially for those who has owned the unit for a few months..TIA

I think all of the codecs sound awesome, but my ears have been partial to the DTS-HD Master Audio tracks the most. I've always been a DTS fan in general, though.
  • polkatese
    edited February 2010
    Options
    That's what I was thinking. Perhaps upscaling of SD-DVDs is one of the tipping point that I struggle the most. On one hand, I like to have the most I can afford, on the other, I've spent enough money for functionalities that I ended up not using, and became obsolete anyways. Decision, decision..

Thanks for your input Demi.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited February 2010
    Options
    That's what I was thinking. Perhaps upscaling of SD-DVDs is one of the tipping point that I struggle the most. On one hand, I like to have the most I can afford, on the other, I've spent enough money for functionalities that I ended up not using, and became obsolete anyways. Decision, decision..

About upscaling SDs...I've had upscaling DVD players for a few years and enjoyed their increased PQ. The 83 will take a well mastered DVD and make it difficult to tell it's not BD. It's that good. Sometimes I'm amazed. However, a bad transfer will still look like crap...though still better than on other machines. It's kind of a bonus for me...not why I purchased the machine...as is the speed. It's the audio performance over analog that sold it for me since I use a legacy AVR. It also made the SE upgrade attractive.

If you don't care about the audio performance or SD upscaling, get the BD80.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Ron Temple wrote: »
    If you don't care about the audio performance or SD upscaling, get the BD80.

I know I do care...it shows when doing SD and HD back and forth
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2010
    Options

No problem, I think you'll be happy with either of the two Oppo players. Is that what you're settling in on now?
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I have now had the oppo bd83se in use for about a month. I am using it in our home theater and that system has had toshiba xd, lg3oo, and the sony sd550. I must admit that this is much better at PQ and SQ than any of those. I also have a playstation 3 in this system as well and it isn't really close on blue rays. Upscaling is even more pronounced in color sat and definition. The sound is outstanding but I haven't heard or seen anything in my system than what I have mentioned. I give it a big thumbs up for my application and rig. In a not so close second is the Sony. We are going through our third lamp and its about 450 hours now so the system has seen about 4500 hours (total combined movies, satellite and PS3) over the last 3 years and again it is the best I've had yet.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • polkatese
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »
    No problem, I think you'll be happy with either of the two Oppo players. Is that what you're settling in on now?

pretty much. I am not ready to give up my Samsung duo-player for those HD-DVD collection that I have, however, I am dying to check out TrueHD and DTS-MA experience for what it worths. Shelf space is an issue.

Ron and Bad ASP, thanks for your feedback.
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I think all of the codecs sound awesome, but my ears have been partial to the DTS-HD Master Audio tracks the most. I've always been a DTS fan in general, though.

Are you having the oppo or the Sc-25 doing the decoding? The reason I ask is I found the sound better when having the elite do the decoding.
  • leroyjr1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I'd love to get the oppo bdp-83, but I can't justify the price tag.
  • acsubie
    acsubie Posts: 773
    edited February 2010
    Options
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    I'd love to get the oppo bdp-83, but I can't justify the price tag.

same thought process I had. Dont have many DVDs and dont listen to much CDs. So just ordered the bdp-80 today:o
  • leroyjr1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    acsubie wrote: »
    same thought process I had. Dont have many DVDs and dont listen to much CDs. So just ordered the bdp-80 today:o

I don't listen to SACD's and load times aren't important. I use a elite bdp-05 and it handshakes very well with my elite plasma and elite receiver. If I get into sacd's I'll pickup an elite sacd player. I also have a ps3 but like having the receiver doing the decoding.

I ordered a oppo for my uncle and when it arrived I compared the pq to my elite and didn't look any better, granted I didn't play around with the settings.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I have that same Pioneer and I like it fine. Not saying the Oppo might not be a 'tad' better in PQ...but I need to see it myself.

Also, I'm coming around so I guess I didn't really have H1N1 or this is really milder than advertised!

As I said above I'm not looking for an Oppo to do my SACD/CD duties but something better--used of course!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Are you having the oppo or the Sc-25 doing the decoding? The reason I ask is I found the sound better when having the elite do the decoding.

In my case I do have the Elite doing the decoding. Damn I love these two paired together over HDMI. The imaging and depth of field is simply astonishing. I just got out of the HT and done playing for tonight. I demo'd the following at reference U-571, Bolt (1st 15 mins), Troy ( fighting scene to avenge his cousins death), and a few others. The Oppo performed flawlessly. I then fired up my XA2 HD DVD player and logged some more demos. Very happy though with the toys. :cool:
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited February 2010
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Are we still talking about the Oppo? Sheeeesh......haven't we exhausted this topic?

Me, I'm NOT buying one....will stick with my Pioneer Blu-ray and buy a used, dedicated SACD/CD player...as good as I can afford...that's where audio is at.

Oppo....a good Blu-ray with SACD capabilities that are OK....DACs (alone) do NOT the great player make!

And besides all this talk has given me H1N1 or something because I came back to Beijing from vacation and my entire family had fevers..I'm still coughing as I type this...should I take two Oppo and go to bed?

cnh

I am curious as to why you feel compelled to post in a thread pertaining to a player you have emphatically stated you have no intention of purchasing.

Glad you are feeling better, I have had the "crud" for two weeks. No fun.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited February 2010
    Options
    vc69 wrote: »
    I am curious as to why you feel compelled to post in a thread pertaining to a player you have emphatically stated you have no intention of purchasing.

Glad you are feeling better, I have had the "crud" for two weeks. No fun.

Because inside he really wants one and is fighting the wait. It's obvious. :D
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • cnh
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Good question,

I'm probably just a cranky curmudgeon who should probably be reading some other threads. Sorry to hear you were ill as well.

The real reason was that, originally, some claims that were being made for this player (audio-wise) were excessive. Ask a number of others who have also posted here.

In any case I agree with you. I'm done. Let the discussion continue in a positive direction.

Sherardp, that's a great line--lol

cnh

• emoxley
    emoxley Posts: 205
    edited February 2010
    Options
    There's a reason Oppo has made such a name for itself as an internet only company. :)
    I used to think the same thing, but they aren't an internet only company.
    http://www.oppodigital.com/wheretobuy.asp
    I sent them an email, asking about that. There's only a couple of authorized dealers, but there's quite a few unauthorized dealers. Just FYI..........
    Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP
    Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver
    Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player
    Polk Audio LSi9 front speakers
    Polk Audio LSiC center speaker
    Sony SS-MB100H rear speakers
    SVS PC12-NSD powered subwoofer
    Pioneer PL-514 turntable
    Logitech Harmony 628 Universal Remote
  • vc69
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Sherardp wrote: »
    Because inside he really wants one and is fighting the wait. It's obvious. :D

Ahhh... BD player envy. I see. ;)

No harm cnh, I just thought it was a little strange.

I will say though, the SE version of this player is greatly improved audio-wise.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • cnh
    edited February 2010
    Options
    emoxley wrote: »
    I sent them an email, asking about that. There's only a couple of authorized dealers, but there's quite a few unauthorized dealers. Just FYI..........

Oppo makes all kinds of digital devices...their shops and stands are all over China and probably Japan? Sherardp? Do you know?

Ok...I'm going to bed...

cnh

• Demiurge
    edited February 2010
    Options
    emoxley wrote: »

Maybe I'm missing something, but there are only three names there I see. One is Oppo, one is Amazon, and the other is Music Direct....all internet retailers. :confused:

I don't think it matters, though. They definitely built their name via word of mouth on the web.
  • polkatese
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Demi, have you tried SACD/DVD-A on it? thoughts?
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2010
    Options

I have the Elite doing it like Sherard.
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2010
    Options

I only have one DVD-A disc, but I haven't given it a listen yet. I have been in my new house since September, but there's tons of stuff I haven't unpacked yet and the DVD-A is among them. :o
  • vc69
    edited February 2010
    Options

I have. Without anything other than an older Pio UDP (DV579a I think) to compare it to, I have little to baseline off of. The SACDs I have sound incredible, the DVD-A's sound great too, but I prefer SACD.
    -Kevin
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I don't have more SACD or DVD-A because most of the stuff I listen to isn't released on those formats. It sucks. :(

I love the sound of the Red Book CDs, though.
  • vc69
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Demi,

do you have the standard -83?
    -Kevin
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • polkatese
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ok. Thanks gents.
  • emoxley
    emoxley Posts: 205
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Maybe I'm missing something, but there are only three names there I see. One is Oppo, one is Amazon, and the other is Music Direct....all internet retailers. :confused:
    Maybe you did miss something........:)
    Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP
    Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver
    Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player
    Polk Audio LSi9 front speakers
    Polk Audio LSiC center speaker
    Sony SS-MB100H rear speakers
    SVS PC12-NSD powered subwoofer
    Pioneer PL-514 turntable
    Logitech Harmony 628 Universal Remote