OPPO BDP-83 It is simply spectacular ....

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Bernal
    Bernal Posts: 991
    edited May 2010
    Options
    DMara wrote: »
    Exactly my point, you got a higher number of posts but mostly were garbage :p By the way, your English is quite interesente :D

Falsa demonstratione mutari substantia veritatis minime potest.:p
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
  • digitalvideo
    digitalvideo Posts: 983
    edited May 2010
    Options
    This question is about all bd players including the Oppo regarding their 'Source Direct' feature on the players...

I want an uninterrupted path from the disc to the plasma display. I want to see the exact native content on the bluray disc untouched by the bd player and sent to my plasma as it was intended. Does putting the bd player in 'Source Direct' automatically do that or do I have to activate or deactivate other options in the menu as well?

If the 1080p/24 option is set to "On" or "Off" or "Auto" will it effect the native content on the disc and which option should it be set at so it doesn't effect the native content?

I currently have my bd player set to these options thinking I am getting the real native content from the disc =

Source Direct
    1080p/24 - Auto
    Color Space - Auto
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    This question is about all bd players including the Oppo regarding their 'Source Direct' feature on the players...

I want an uninterrupted path from the disc to the plasma display. I want to see the exact native content on the bluray disc untouched by the bd player and sent to my plasma as it was intended. Does putting the bd player in 'Source Direct' automatically do that or do I have to activate or deactivate other options in the menu as well?

If the 1080p/24 option is set to "On" or "Off" or "Auto" will it effect the native content on the disc and which option should it be set at so it doesn't effect the native content?

I currently have my bd player set to these options thinking I am getting the real native content from the disc =

Source Direct
    1080p/24 - Auto
    Color Space - Auto

We generally recommend using YCbCr 4:4:4 unless your television requires a RGB color space.

1080p/24: Your TV must have this feature
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Question:

On Audio Format setup (HDMI), one of the option is AUTO. I am trying to find the logical processing order that AUTO would go through. For instance, if you set Audio format to LPCM or Bitstream, it will force the corresponding output as selected. But if it set on AUTO, how does the player know what format it will employ? It will know the media whether it is CDDA, HDCD, BD,DVDA, etc. but what would be the default?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • digitalvideo
    digitalvideo Posts: 983
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Bernal wrote: »
    We generally recommend using YCbCr 4:4:4 unless your television requires a RGB color space.

1080p/24: Your TV must have this feature

I have a Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro-151FD plasma so it is capable of 1080p/24 and 24fps and it's onboard processors I believe are superior to any bd player when delivering a film like picture with it's unique Film Mode set in Advance. It detects a 1080p/24 source and upconverts it to 1080p/72.

Others who own the Pio Elite Kuro displays say they like the look of the Pio's processing instead of the bd players because it is less "noisy" with less artifacts, less processed and more neutral and natural. I was wondering if any of you have a Pio Kuro display hooked up to an Oppo and tested the 'Source Direct' versus letting the bd player process?

My main objective like I said is to have the exact native content from the disc untouched to the display and Source Direct it seems is the #1 most important option to achieve that, but I'm trying to figure out if setting the bd player's setting to 1080p/24 to "On" will effect and touch the native content more than setting it to "Auto". ? Same goes with Color Space? The Auto setting uses the extended display identification (EDID) information from the display and outputs the highest supported resolution.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I would suggest you use the settings mentioned by Bernal. Set 24p to on, and color space to 4:4:4. This should give you the best results that the player can provide.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    polkatese wrote: »
    Question:

On Audio Format setup (HDMI), one of the option is AUTO. I am trying to find the logical processing order that AUTO would go through. For instance, if you set Audio format to LPCM or Bitstream, it will force the corresponding output as selected. But if it set on AUTO, how does the player know what format it will employ? It will know the media whether it is CDDA, HDCD, BD,DVDA, etc. but what would be the default?

When set to AUTO the player perform handshakes with your receiving equipment to determine what audio formats it will support. Depending on the capabilities of your receiver, the player will either Bit Stream (CD, DVD-Video) or do a PCM conversion (Blu-ray).
    ;)
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    sherardp wrote: »
    i would suggest you use the settings mentioned by bernal. Set 24p to on, and color space to 4:4:4. This should give you the best results that the player can provide.
    +1 :):)
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Hi Bernal, thanks for the info. I also read that the Auto setting is there to provide backward compatibility with HDMI 1.1 and 1.2
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    polkatese wrote: »
    Hi Bernal, thanks for the info. I also read that the Auto setting is there to provide backward compatibility with HDMI 1.1 and 1.2

I have not read that!
    HDMI is hardware...
  • Bernal
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I agree that Netflix support will make this the perfect player.
    I just wrote to Oppo to tell them, and a day later got this reply:

"...We are investigating NetFlix support as a future firmware integration, but we do not know at this time if it is feasible, and if it is, when we will actually see if implemented..."
  • Bernal
    edited June 2010
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Everytime I see this thread appear, it has "Bernal" as the poster. I guess that is one way to increase post count. Let me get a post bump out of this thread too. ;)

Ok, and Netflix + OPPO?
  • Bernal
    edited August 2010
    Options
    OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player Public Beta Firmware Update
    Release Information:

Release date: August 24, 2010.
    Category: Public Beta Version

Main Version: BDP83-52-0816B
    Loader Version: BE2731 or BT0431
    Sub Version: MCU83-27-0326

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Support.aspx
  • Bernal
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player

Will be interested to see the BDP 93 when it comes out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52130&d=1285296567
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I recently heard an Oppo that got its butt spanked by a Wyred 4 Sound DAC. It wasn't even close.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Bernal
    edited October 2010
    Options
  • localnet333
    Options
    Old thread... Anyone still using the Oppo BDP-83 as a CD/SACD transport? Just curious, as I ressurected mine for that very purpose when I tore out my HT setup and went back to two channel. I am using the HDMI out from the Oppo, to a GeerFab Digital Breakout Box to strip the DSD signal out to send to my Denafrips Ares II DAC. Just curious if folks still use their's or have found something better to use for SACD.