Emotiva Story.

Options

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Let's be fair; I found this in another forum:

"I've heard the RPA-1 and 2 and can confidently say they are much more musical than the Odyssey Stratos Extremes and various Khartago models I have previously owned. The RPA-2 sounds better than anything Klaus makes, period.

Furthemore, Klaus's amps tend to break down and getting them fixed is often difficult because Odyssey is just a one man operation and almost never around. That being said, if you have the patience to wait around with no amps and maybe more than one try to find a fix, then go buy one of his amps.

On the other hand, Emotiva gear is made like a rock with tons of quality control. "

Took it from a link in another thread, and it's here.: :)

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=63558.msg590950#msg590950

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • bigred7078
    bigred7078 Posts: 477
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Ricardo wrote: »

"I've heard the RPA-1 and 2 and can confidently say they are much more musical than the Odyssey Stratos Extremes and various Khartago models I have previously owned. The RPA-2 sounds better than anything Klaus makes, period.

Furthemore, Klaus's amps tend to break down and getting them fixed is often difficult because Odyssey is just a one man operation and almost never around. That being said, if you have the patience to wait around with no amps and maybe more than one try to find a fix, then go buy one of his amps.

On the other hand, Emotiva gear is made like a rock with tons of quality control. "

MY RPA-1 is a rock solid animal. :)

To be fair though the Odyssey amps are fantastic stuff that are entirely customizeable to your desires :cool:. But that OP does have a point.

P.S.- Thanks for reminding me of that!!! That was my thread :) ...i kinda forgot about it...whoops lol
    Pro-ject RM-9.1 w/ Grado Sonata 1 -> USP-1 -> RPA-1 -> Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,097
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Ricardo wrote: »

Still stirring the pot, eh Ricardo :D.

Well, I've heard Odyssey gear first and and it's right up there.......this poster is obviously blind. If Emo is THAT good then the rest of the audio companies might as well pack it in and call it a day.

Bigred, that post is a little over the top and reeks of someone who really hasn't been in the game very long. Hitch your wagon to that horse and your bound to end up **** over apple cart ;).
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2009
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

.......this poster is obviously blind

that poster also posts here; so again, who's stirring the pot?? ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,097
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Ah, didn't realize that was our own SolidSqual. To each their own....he obviously has a huge distaste for Klaus and I'm guessing it's not entirely based on the sound of the equipment, but more on a personal level.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2009
    Options
    The Emotiva amp makes my Bose speakers sound fabulous!
    Carl

• comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited February 2009
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    The Emotiva amp makes my Bose speakers sound fabulous!

I'm guessing it's because of all the Monster Cable you used to hook it up?;)
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • metal83
    metal83 Posts: 1,219
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Hey, it's not fair to throw Emotiva in with Bose and Monster Cables....Emotiva is not expensive!!!! :p:D
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited February 2009
    Options
    nm4710 wrote: »
    I'm sorry so many of you are put off my emotiva's advertising...I agree it may be a little loud...but the products are a great value.

Great Post and No worries there! EMO had taken down the loud word from their products and it's a positive sign for me and it's fitting. I agree that EMO products can be a great value.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • comfortablycurt
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Next to come-World Class, Reference Quality, Emotiva Speaker Wire and IC's!!!

I'm going exclusively Emo...Emo pre's, Emo power amps...Emo cables...Emo Speakers...do they have any DVD's or CDP's yet? That'll be coming soon too if they don't...lol

One day we'll all be driving to work, listening to our Emotiva car stereos...
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • metal83
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Next to come-World Class, Reference Quality, Emotiva Speaker Wire and IC's!!!

I'm going exclusively Emo...Emo pre's, Emo power amps...Emo cables...Emo Speakers...do they have any DVD's or CDP's yet? That'll be coming soon too if they don't...lol

One day we'll all be driving to work, listening to our Emotiva car stereos...

They actually do have a CDP coming out, pretty soon to i think...:p
  • comfortablycurt
    edited February 2009
    Options
    metal83 wrote: »
    They actually do have a CDP coming out, pretty soon to i think...:p

:eek: I should have just assumed as much...lol

When are the Emo TV sets going to hit the market?:p
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • metal83
    edited February 2009
    Options
    :eek: I should have just assumed as much...lol

When are the Emo TV sets going to hit the market?:p

Those are due out next month....haha..jk..but ya never know! :p
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited February 2009
    Options
    BAT products are impeccable.

They can make Emo whine like a cold baby left alone on the front porch.

They will chew up an Emo like a bulldog on a pork chop.

Go Large or Just Go Home.

RT1 note--No Emo owners were harmed by the bulldog, but a few were in fact left out in the cold, on the porch, howling like a bulldog.

+1 for BAT, people don't know build quality until they start buying at this level. I think they only thing better that I've seen is the wares of Esoteric.
  • comfortablycurt
    edited February 2009
    Options

Maybe that's why Pioneer is getting out of the TV market. They heard that Emotiva was going to jump into the TV game, so they just decided to throw in the towel.:p
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,743
    edited February 2009
    Options

Knowing their history, if TV's were due out next month, I would expect to see them in 2011.:D
  • comfortablycurt
    edited February 2009
    Options
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    Knowing their history, if TV's were due out next month, I would expect to see them in 2011.:D

True...hasn't the UMC-1(?) pre/pro been due out for like 6 months now?...lol
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I don't have a horse in this race but I do have a question. It has been mentioned in several posts that the maker of Emo manufactures components for several other companies. Would any body know the names of these companies?

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,743
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Hawkeye wrote: »
    I don't have a horse in this race but I do have a question. It has been mentioned in several posts that the maker of Emo manufactures components for several other companies. Would any body know the names of these companies?

Gordon

They do claim that over at the Emotiva lounge, but they will not say who it is/was.
  • messiah
    messiah Posts: 1,790
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Let's call it educated experience. I have never driven a Chevy Cavalier; but as far as what an auto is expected to do it does do. But I can tell you that it's not in the same league as a BMW. The BMW serves the same utilitarian purpose of safely getting passengers from A to B to C, but you'd never confuse it with a Chevy. By the same example a BMW is not a Ferrari, etc, etc....

Same with audio............Emo, while I'm sure to a vast majority of people sounds pretty good............there is much better to be had and in some cases for not a whole lot more.

My biggest beef with EMO lovers is their attitude that these are "World Class" products that compete with pricer brands and other designs which have proven over and over to be better. I get the whole "bang for the buck" thing but EMO's advertising and fan boi's need to stop saying these are the greatest..............because they're not.

Just like my Adcom campaign over the years.......they are what they are in compariosn to like priced and marketed gear. I don't think I've said Adcom was World Class or that it was the "bomb" to borrow a hip term.

Emo is a budget brand in both cost, performance and build quality and in some cases it might be better than similar competition.......nothing more....nothing less.

World Class...................hardly :rolleyes:

You could say the same for Polk Audio!!

Decent gear for a decent price, but hardly setting the standard for what is the best of the best. Not even close actually. Probably why it matches up pretty nicely as far as cost vs performance is concerned. Some of you need to lighten up.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, February 17th, 1775.

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
    messiah, November 23rd, 2010
  • Retro152
    Retro152 Posts: 985
    edited February 2009
    Options
    The Emotiva Xpa-3 is my first amp, and so far, no troubles' whatsoever. Cosmetics werent on my mind when i decided to make a purchase, it of course, was the affordability. Yes, i dont have anything to compare it to, being my first amp, but my initial impression's are that this could be a winner. Granted i dont have the expertise or "year's in" that other forum member's have to critique equipment, and fully realize Emotiva is "The flavor of the month", but maybe just time will tell as far as performance goes'. I have to agree with Bigred that there is a group of Emotiva basher's here that are directing their anger and criticism toward's The "Hype" surrounding this product, while having no hands' on experience with it, not giving it a fair shake. Wonder if Adcom, Rotel, or Outlaw whent through these growing pains?:confused:
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-05
    Amp: Emotiva Xpa-3
    Front L/R: POLK Rti-a9s':D
    Center:POLK Csi-a6
    Rear surround's:POLK Rti-a1s'
    Sub: Klipsch Synergy sub-12
    Sony Kdl-46w4100 46" LCD
    PS3
    Audioquest type 4 wiring.
  • megasat16
    edited February 2009
    Options
    messiah wrote: »
    You could say the same for Polk Audio!!

Decent gear for a decent price, but hardly setting the standard for what is the best of the best. Not even close actually. Probably why it matches up pretty nicely as far as cost vs performance is concerned. Some of you need to lighten up.

Yeah, you are right! They matches up right but the funny thing is that one claims to be world class when the other one doesn't who has been in Audio Industry for so long. That's why I got a little carried over it but I swallowed my pills over it now. :)
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • metal83
    edited February 2009
    Options
    retro152 wrote: »
    The Emotiva Xpa-3 is my first amp, and so far, no troubles' whatsoever. Cosmetics werent on my mind when i decided to make a purchase, it of course, was the affordability. Yes, i dont have anything to compare it to, being my first amp, but my initial impression's are that this could be a winner. Granted i dont have the expertise or "year's in" that other forum member's have to critique equipment, and fully realize Emotiva is "The flavor of the month", but maybe just time will tell as far as performance goes'. I have to agree with Bigred that there is a group of Emotiva basher's here that are directing their anger and criticism toward's The "Hype" surrounding this product, while having no hands' on experience with it, not giving it a fair shake. Wonder if Adcom, Rotel, or Outlaw whent through these growing pains?:confused:

Well said, as a new XPA-3 owner i agree with you 100%.
  • genjivn
    genjivn Posts: 101
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Talking about quality control. This will be the fifth time my uncle taking his BMW back to the dealer to fix the same problem. His car was assembled in Germany and imported to the States. One of my co-worker also has problems with a brand new BMW series 5. Does that mean BMW QC suck? Probably not.

If I remember correctly, Polk also has some QC issue in the past. The former PSW1000, LSiW was recalled. Some drivers of the SRT speaker blow. Stuffs like that. And don't get me wrong. I owns Polk products and love them. Used to have RT400, RT55i, RT400i, RT4, and now the whole set of LSi system. Can't just simply bash a brand based on a product failure.

Emotiva has exchanged the RSP-2 4 times for Ricardo, one time simply because the logo comes off, I think that is respectable for a company.

Price does not always reflect the true value of a product. I one time bought a DVD player on sale at $700 + tax (retail at $2000) just to find out later from a friend who works at the store that they bought it for just $400. Some products are marked up 3 times or higher is not unusual. Recently I have seen a few Lexicon RT-20 shown up on Audiogon and ebay at a clearance price of ~1000 and that is retailed for $5000. That makes me question if the unit actually costs that much to make.

I recently bought a RPA-2 from emotiva simply based on a few user reviews. For 700 bucks I don't expect much but I am surprised by the build quality of the products. It has enough power to drives my LSi25 without a sweat, with amazing detail and separation. Reference of not I don't know but I'm satisfied with my purchase given the money I paid for it. They may call it their reference line of product, like Paradigm use the phrase "Paradigm Reference" on their site. Paradigm builds respectable speakers. Can their Signature series beat a B&W 800 series? That is debatable.

If you don't like Emotiva, move on. Buy Rotel, Arcam, Krell, McIntosh, Parasound, Classe, Musical Fidelity, Accuphase, Luxman, BAT, AudioResearch,... what ever your budget allows and enjoy. Life is short.

Cheers
  • vonnie123
    vonnie123 Posts: 326
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I have been pleased with my Emotiva MMC-1 pre-pro which I have owned just short of 12 months. After three amp failures, I'd be skeptical too.
    [
  • megasat16
    edited February 2009
    Options
    genjivn wrote: »
    Talking about quality control. This will be the fifth time my uncle taking his BMW back to the dealer to fix the same problem. His car was assembled in Germany and imported to the States. One of my co-worker also has problems with a brand new BMW series 5. Does that mean BMW QC suck? Probably not.

If I remember correctly, Polk also has some QC issue in the past. The former PSW1000, LSiW was recalled. Some drivers of the SRT speaker blow. Stuffs like that. And don't get me wrong. I owns Polk products and love them. Used to have RT400, RT55i, RT400i, RT4, and now the whole set of LSi system. Can't just simply bash a brand based on a product failure.

Emotiva has exchanged the RSP-2 4 times for Ricardo, one time simply because the logo comes off, I think that is respectable for a company.

Price does not always reflect the true value of a product. I one time bought a DVD player on sale at $700 + tax (retail at $2000) just to find out later from a friend who works at the store that they bought it for just $400. Some products are marked up 3 times or higher is not unusual. Recently I have seen a few Lexicon RT-20 shown up on Audiogon and ebay at a clearance price of ~1000 and that is retailed for $5000. That makes me question if the unit actually costs that much to make.

I recently bought a RPA-2 from emotiva simply based on a few user reviews. For 700 bucks I don't expect much but I am surprised by the build quality of the products. It has enough power to drives my LSi25 without a sweat, with amazing detail and separation. Reference of not I don't know but I'm satisfied with my purchase given the money I paid for it. They may call it their reference line of product, like Paradigm use the phrase "Paradigm Reference" on their site. Paradigm builds respectable speakers. Can their Signature series beat a B&W 800 series? That is debatable.

If you don't like Emotiva, move on. Buy Rotel, Arcam, Krell, McIntosh, Parasound, Classe, Musical Fidelity, Accuphase, Luxman, BAT, AudioResearch,... what ever your budget allows and enjoy. Life is short.

Cheers

1. The problem wasn't Ricardo to begin with. He simply repost someone's else problem in CP.

2. There can be a "Reference Line". But not a Reference Amplifier. Have you ever heard of a Reference Vehicle?

3. Whatever EMO wanted to achieve, I wish it good luck and no bashing for them except pointing out their over stated AD I read a few weeks ago.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2009
    Options
    looks like you got all the bad ones Ricardo.. now everyone else won't have to go through what you did.

I am stunned that the first three were bad. third times the charm? or is it forth, fifth, sixth? LOL ;)

How long will you stay with them till they send you a good one? At least they are working closely with you on them trying to solve this problem.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • bigred7078
    edited February 2009
    Options

Well, I've heard Odyssey gear first and and it's right up there.......this poster is obviously blind. If Emo is THAT good then the rest of the audio companies might as well pack it in and call it a day.

Bigred, that post is a little over the top and reeks of someone who really hasn't been in the game very long. Hitch your wagon to that horse and your bound to end up **** over apple cart ;).

Like i said i started that post on audiocircle. I had heard so many good things about Odyssey that i wanted to see what they were all about. I found a local gentleman hear that owned a 2-channel Odyssey Stratos. I've actually talked with him several times about audio and never knew he owned audyssey. Well he actually brought the Odyssey over and we compared the Odyssey and RPA-1. We actually came up with a draw. They both performed almost dead even. Yes there was slight differences between them, but it was negligible. Hence why i never returned to audiocircle to find out more. I decided i had definately found a winner with my RPA-1 if it even compared to the raved about audyssey. So again please stop trying to compare the Emotiva and say there is no way it could be better if you have never even tried the product, nor even entertain the idea.

But i would agree that post was a little over the top because the RPA did not beat out the Odyssey Stratos, it just merely equaled it.
    Pro-ject RM-9.1 w/ Grado Sonata 1 -> USP-1 -> RPA-1 -> Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands
  • bigred7078
    edited February 2009
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »

2. There can be a "Reference Line". But not a Reference Amplifier. Have you ever heard of a Reference Vehicle?

Oh im sorry i didnt realize this was a rule...Note to self...never purchase amp that was described as reference...lol c'mon. Who are you to say they cannot describe something as reference. There is no rule that states what is required for reference.

This is just a case of people being overly nit-picky about how a company described some of its amps. Does it REALLY matter??? Most of you could give to **** about Emotiva, so why let something like how they phrase their marketing bother you so much??? How in the world does this directly affect your life and personally insult you? Because this is how some of you are acting about how they phrased one line of marketing.

Advice for those of you who hate reading about Emotiva...If you see it in the title then move along lol. Its not so hard.
  • megasat16
    edited February 2009
    Options
    bigred7078 wrote: »
    Oh im sorry i didnt realize this was a rule...Note to self...never purchase amp that was described as reference...lol c'mon. Who are you to say they cannot describe something as reference. There is no rule that states what is required for reference.

This is just a case of people being overly nit-picky about how a company described some of its amps. Does it REALLY matter??? Most of you could give to **** about Emotiva, so why let something like how they phrase their marketing bother you so much??? How in the world does this directly affect your life and personally insult you? Because this is how some of you are acting about how they phrased one line of marketing.

Advice for those of you who hate reading about Emotiva...If you see it in the title then move along lol. Its not so hard.

The only thing that bothers me is that EMO marketing hype preying out on unsuspecting buyers from CP and I thought people should be informed that what inside the box may not be what said outside the box (or on their website a few weeks ago anyway).

Personal Insult? NO NO NO WAY! I never said it. I said "an insult to other manufacturer and audio enthusiasts). I said misleading coz it is.

If you don't like what I said, u can swallow a pill like I did. I have nothing to HATE about EMO. Likewise, I have nothing to Love about EMO. You guys love it, Great! In fact, I support EMO continue existence for the goods of all. That's why I always said try EMO with one's own Ears. But I can't simply agree uninformed buyers to fall into prey to EMO hypes.