Emotiva Story.

Options

Comments

• mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited February 2009
    Options
    "Reference" plain and simple a marketing term. At least that is how I understand it to be. I don't think the NIST has an entry for it.

As far as people not bothering to look elsewhere once they are bowled over by a term in an ad, well hmm. Shame on them if they are disappointed.

Let's see, how about these terms:

"ultimate sonic accuracy"
    "Premium components"
    "top of the line audio performance"
    "finest quality speakers"
    "space age material"
    "ultra-pure performance"
    "best possible performance"

Would you put these marketing terms into the same category as "reference"? Might they, if you saw them on a site, lead you to belive that this is the cream of the crop, that its unlikely that there might be better out there?
    Can there be better than Ultimate Sonic Accuracy? Is there better than Top of the Line? Or Ultra-Pure? or Best Possible?

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I love how some of you guys can judge something you've never even heard.

Some of us guys have been around long enough to know that no one is ever going to figure out how to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited February 2009
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Some of us guys have been around long enough to know that no one is ever going to figure out how to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Exactly. While I don't fall into that category of someone that's been around for a long time...these are the people I'm going to trust. The people that have been there, and done that. By far, the majority of the people that support Emo to the max, are the people that are fairly new to the hobby. I'm pretty new to it myself, and at first, I was convinced that Emo was the way to go, simply because I didn't know any better.

When they're offering an amp that supposedly has the same specs and quality as amps costing twice, or even three times as much...some corners have been cut.
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    "Reference" plain and simple a marketing term. At least that is how I understand it to be. I don't think the NIST has an entry for it.

As far as people not bothering to look elsewhere once they are bowled over by a term in an ad, well hmm. Shame on them if they are disappointed.

"Premium components"
    "space age material"
    "ultra-pure performance"

Would you put these marketing terms into the same category as "reference"? Might they, if you saw them on a site, lead you to belive that this is the cream of the crop, that its unlikely that there might be better out there?
    Can there be better than Ultimate Sonic Accuracy? Is there better than Top of the Line? Or Ultra-Pure? or Best Possible?

I agree..."reference" by and large is a marketing term. It's not as if you can pick up a resistor and say, "this is a reference resistor". It's a term that has come to have a lot of meaning in this hobby though. When you're buying a reference quality component...you're expecting something similar in quality and performance, to other companies "reference series".

There are some things I do really like about Emo though. For one, it's great to see a new American business actually succeeding in our current economy. I hope they keep going, and keep succeeding. It's not as if I want them to fail or anything.

Also, they really do fill a certain market segment. For the people who don't have a lot of money to spend, and aren't comfortable buying used, but want to get into externals? Emo's great for that! It's still going to give you a huge improvement in sound quality over an AVR without breaking the bank.

As I said earlier though...personally I'm not looking for the best bang for the buck, and I have no issues with buying used equipment. Don't get me wrong, I still haven't completely ruled Emotiva out...but odds are that I'll be going with something else. I'm looking for the best bang that fits into my price range, which extends over Emotiva's price range, so I'm going to get what I deem to be the best option for the money I want to spend.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • bigred7078
    bigred7078 Posts: 477
    edited February 2009
    Options

If you believe that being around "long enough" makes you all knowing than you are truly foolish.
    Pro-ject RM-9.1 w/ Grado Sonata 1 -> USP-1 -> RPA-1 -> Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands
  • bigred7078
    edited February 2009
    Options
    When they're offering an amp that supposedly has the same specs and quality as amps costing twice, or even three times as much...some corners have been cut.

Ahhh the words of someone who knows nothing of the industry ;). Unfortuanatley not all amps costing 3 times more are utilizing "better" parts. Some actually do, but the majority dont. Emotiva has made comp onents for companies such as sunfire. Do you consider sunfire cheap? I certainly do not. But you pay for the name, you pay for the middle man mark up and you pay for the overhead and profit of the store carrying the product. So its pretty easy to understand why emotiva has low prices. Are the internals of the amps made in China? Of course, but so are the parts of all the amps on the market.

Listen im not saying its the greatest amps on the market, but i think it competes rather heavily with alot of amps from "better" companies and with a way better price to boot.

I have personally owned 7 pieces of emotiva gear, and they have all been excellent performers. Like i said earlier, i did a side by side comparison with my RPA-1 and an Odyssey Stratos (another ID company) that retails for $1200(without the upgrades). The Odyssey was no better than the RPA-1 which suprised me because i expected the Odyssey to walk all over it after all i had read. So thinking you know or understand something really doesn't meant to much until its put to the test.
    Pro-ject RM-9.1 w/ Grado Sonata 1 -> USP-1 -> RPA-1 -> Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands
  • bigred7078
    edited February 2009
    Options

I agree..."reference" by and large is a marketing term. It's not as if you can pick up a resistor and say, "this is a reference resistor". It's a term that has come to have a lot of meaning in this hobby though. When you're buying a reference quality component...you're expecting something similar in quality and performance, to other companies "reference series".

Yes "reference" has come to a certain meaning in this hobby. And if you have not already been able to tell that meaning varies from one person to another...

And what makes another companies reference series more "reference" than the ones emotiva currently lists. Or for that matter why can another company list a product as reference but emotiva cannot?

If we all considered the same thing "Reference quality" than there definately would be a point to all this. But we obviously dont all consider the same things as reference....so one mans trash is another mans treasure.

I guess we will agree to disagree.
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited February 2009
    Options
    bigred7078 wrote: »

I guess we will agree to disagree.

Yeah...I think it's just one of those situations.

In either case, it sounds like there's going to be an XPA-5 at the next RAS meeting, so I'll be able to get my ears on one, and compare it to some other amps at the same time. It'll be nice to finally hear an Emo after hearing so much about them.

Time will tell...who knows? Maybe I'll hear it and love what I hear...Like I said before, I haven't completely ruled them out yet.;)
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • bassaholic
    bassaholic Posts: 315
    edited February 2009
    Options
    no one is ever going to figure out how to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
    A few more pages and we'll see this same quote again. GO MONSTER!!! http://www.polkaudio.com/justin/Monster_Adcom_Shootout.pdf
    Pioneer SC-37
    RTiA9-fronts
    CSiA6-center
    RT55i-surrounds
    SVS PB13 Ultra & PSW650
    Monster Power 3250 amp
    Monster Power 2250 amp
    Monster Power HDP-2500 surge pro.

Denon 3805,CS400i,RT25i's & FX500i's sitting in the basement collecting dust
  • metal83
    metal83 Posts: 1,219
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Exactly. While I don't fall into that category of someone that's been around for a long time...these are the people I'm going to trust. The people that have been there, and done that. By far, the majority of the people that support Emo to the max, are the people that are fairly new to the hobby. I'm pretty new to it myself, and at first, I was convinced that Emo was the way to go, simply because I didn't know any better.

I trust myself, and myself only when it comes to my ears and my money.
    Certainly not a bunch of people on the internet, i don't care how long someone has been here or how many posts they have, it definitely doesn't make them audio gods. And saying that the majority of people who support Emotiva are new to this hobby is a pretty ridiculous statement, have you been on other forums? AVS comes to mind, or even Emotiva's own forums, amoung others. And what about the people who designed these products, surely they are not new to this hobby. There seems to be plenty of people who are far from beginners with this hobby with much interest in Emotiva.

And you know this as a fact, how so, have you ripped one apart and examined the inner workings yourself?

Ok, so you agree it's marketing term by and large, but that it also has a lot of meaning in this hobby. Since when do marketing terms have a lot of meaning.
    There are some things I do really like about Emo though. For one, it's great to see a new American business actually succeeding in our current economy. I hope they keep going, and keep succeeding. It's not as if I want them to fail or anything.

No, you don't want them to fail, you just have no problem bashing them apparently, because that's what other people are doing, so why not fit in right...:rolleyes:
    Also, they really do fill a certain market segment. For the people who don't have a lot of money to spend, and aren't comfortable buying used, but want to get into externals? Emo's great for that! It's still going to give you a huge improvement in sound quality over an AVR without breaking the bank.

So Emotiva products are for less fortunate people now, basically is what your saying? :rolleyes:
    As I said earlier though...personally I'm not looking for the best bang for the buck, and I have no issues with buying used equipment. Don't get me wrong, I still haven't completely ruled Emotiva out...but odds are that I'll be going with something else. I'm looking for the best bang that fits into my price range, which extends over Emotiva's price range, so I'm going to get what I deem to be the best option for the money I want to spend.

Ok, you haven't completely ruled them out, i could of sworn you basically said you had somewhere in this long but ridiculous thread.

Best bang for the buck, and best bang that fits in your price range, are essentially the same thing you know. Aren't we all trying to get the best bang for the buck with anything we buy, not just audio equipment?

Ok, i'm done, and no offense by the way, this is just the internet after all...:)
    I'm going to go and enjoy my poor mans amp now, so let the Emo bashing proceed...lol
    :p

Emotiva rocks!!!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2009
    Options
    oooh...the fanboys are restless.....:rolleyes:
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Ahhh the words of someone who knows nothing of the industry ;). Unfortuanatley not all amps costing 3 times more are utilizing "better" parts. Some actually do, but the majority dont.

This is one of most the naive statements I've heard on this board lately........do you really believe that. I agree that cost as a singular component doesn't make something a superior product. But to say but the majority dont.. LMAO.

What other "amps" have you heard compared to your Emo (besides the Odyssey). What design topologies have you decided to learn about to make an educated decision about what to buy? What truly high end components have you researched and listened to make such an absurd statement.

At this point you might as well be farting in the wind as what little amount of credibility you might have started out with is gone.

All those that have Emo and are happy with it.............please enjoy that's what this hobby is all about. Those that trying to convince they are the next best thing since sliced bread.......get out and experience some audio gear......you can thank me later.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited February 2009
    Options
    If you believe that being around "long enough" makes you all knowing than you are truly foolish.

The only one looking foolish is your blind fanboyism towards an entry to upper entry line of products that your trying to pass off as some type of be all, end all line of products. I'm sure Emo fits the bill for many, but I don't need to try every single piece of audio equipment to know whether it will sound better than what I already have. I can tell you just by looking (at Emo) at how it's designed and who it's marketed to; that it won't............and that it wouldn't even be close.

Have a good day :)
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2009
    Options
    H9, I heard Nelson Pass helped design EMO amps. Would that make you change your mind?

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Ricardo wrote: »
    H9, I heard Nelson Pass helped design EMO amps. Would that make you change your mind?
    That just made my morning.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • heiney9
    edited February 2009
    Options

It would perk my interest a bit more...........because he has an impeccable 20+ year reputation for designing and building superb products in both fit and finish as well as a particular sound I like very much.

Someone with his credentials much like if Bob Carver or Richard Marsh or John Curl or Walter Jung or Victor Campos, etc, etc who have some industry credibility and have been around the block and know their ****...........then yes my interest would certainly be higher than it is now. I've heard many of their best works and certainly have a point of reference there.

But, I'd also be the first one to say it didn't meet the mark if it sounded like crap. No blind fan boy here. I've defended Adcom in the past but amongst other similarly priced and marketed products. Never said they were the be all end all. Simply very nice sounding and worth a listen within other similar products.

But thanks for asking Ricardo :D;)
  • heiney9
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    That just made my morning.

You can bite me too Mike :D:p:)
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Hey...while we're at it...can we get a shout-out for OPPO?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited February 2009
    Options

:D:D

H9, I have never seen bigred claim Emo to be the end-all of anything in this thread, or anywhere else.
  • heiney9
    edited February 2009
    Options
    This thread has gone from constructive to destructive. Lots of rhetoric from both sides (myself included) as well as some knee jerk responses. It's never my intention to bash any one person or any single piece of gear. My passions and enthusiasm shine through bright sometimes. Not everyone appreciates that.

Bottom line is if you enjoy what you have and enjoy the hobby.....that's all that matters. If Emo rocks your world then great, enjoy.

Peace Out

H9
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited February 2009
    Options
    mmadden28 wrote: »

"Premium components"
    "space age material"
    "ultra-pure performance"

Just in case anybody is curious, I collected these terms from a couple products on Polkaudio's site. I think many here will concede that there are better speakers and subwoofers out there. That "best possible performance" or "Top of the line" can't really be 'best possible' if there is apparently better out there. Or Ultra Pure performance-hmm, seems a stretch to apply to anything, but definately a marketing term.

Its quite likely you won't find too many manufacturers that don't want their products to sell well and applying catch-phrases and marketing blurbs is certainly one way to do it. Car manufacturers do it all the time, but they get away with it because they add "in its class". It seems almost every car out there is the Best in its class if you only paid attention to the ads. :rolleyes:

Just seems to be a lot of misused terms and phrases, that are themselves subjective, being thrown around, and each person is going to interpret them in a different way if they are not well defined.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Just spent an hour reading through this thread. I hope this next one works out for you Ricardo. I would of been annoyed by the second and with the third, I would have probably struck them out. Good luck on the fourth bro. You certainly have a lot of patience.

Post #52, classic. :D

Looks like an hour was not enough for good reading comprehension....:)

This was not me ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • heiney9
    edited February 2009
    Options
    For the 4th or 5th time.................the situation was posted by Ricardo from another forum..........not his personal experience:D:p.

And yes I would say the original person this situation happened to has a lot of patience :)
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Just stirring the pot because he can:eek::rolleyes:
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Wow....6 friggin pages of "Emo sucks,no it don't".......reminds me of Bose when they first came out.
    Emo fills a need for those going from receivers to seperates without breaking the bank.Is there better out there? Of coarse....the OP just stated the quality control issues he was having,after all,most buy gear from user reviews rather than manufacturers marketing mumbo jumbo.As much as Bose has taken it's knocks over the years,people still buy them,your Emo isn't going anywhere because someone had some issues with them,relax.
    Man,6 pages??
    One more thing,I saw a poster knock Jessie for being older not equateing to knowledge,maybe so,but Jessie,and some of us "older"folks have been alive long enough to have used countless brands with numerous variety's of gear,wire,amps,speakers,in so many variations,that I would trust their judgement over any marketing hype,any day.'nuff said.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Blah! :p It's 5:30 in the morning here.
    :o

I envy you, Keiko. When I used to commute to Oahu, morning time is my precious time, watching the sunrise from Rainbow tower at the village.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Montoya
    Montoya Posts: 506
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my Emo. Prepare to die.
  • Marty913
    Marty913 Posts: 760
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Hopefully this thread will die now. It's overdue.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Montoya wrote: »
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my Emo. Prepare to die.

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

It is always important to know that in each struggle innocent victims are caught unaware of the storm raging around them and suffer pain and death.

After due consideration of all the arguments I have decided that the Emo dissidents have just slightly edged out the Emo supporters. It was close and the supporters did launch a good counter-viewpoint, however, the train had already left the station and was too far down the track.

This decision is final with no appeal, per the Tickle my Emo decree ordered by the President.

Personally I will look into this product as soon as someone shows me where the Tubes are as that is all that really matters. Reeely.

RT1
  • Bass_Pedal
    Bass_Pedal Posts: 196
    edited February 2009
    Options
    So let it be written, so let it be done.
    Mains - Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand
    Subs - Rel T5 x 2
    Amplification - Bryston 3b cubed
    Pre Amp - Marantz Sc11-1
    SACD - Marantz Sa11-1
    Stream - Cambridge Audio CXN v2
    Dac - Marantz Dac-1
    TT - Pro-Ject RPM 9.1 w/ Ortofon 2M Black Cartidge
    Phono Stage - Project Tube box DS
  • Retro152
    Retro152 Posts: 985
    edited February 2009
    Options
    :D:D

H9, I have never seen bigred claim Emo to be the end-all of anything in this thread, or anywhere else.

Agree with you on that, as he wouldn't and shouldn't. Just expressing his opinion on equipment he's had extensive experience on, much the way an owner of Adcom, Rotel, etc, would. Yes, all tried and true proven gear. But absolutely not claiming it's the "end-all" and answer to our Hi-Fi dream's. Jesus, what the hell's wrong with buying affordable equipment, that at this early stage of it's infancy, seem's to be of decent quality?:confused: And sorry, the "Emo fan boy" label has gots ta go, were all "fan's" of OUR gear, be it: Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer,(Hell, im shoutin from the rooftop's about the sc-05). Rotel, Adcom, blah,blah,blah. We all felt compelled to join the Polk Audio forum for some strange reason, hmmmm........... got it! Because maybe were Polk Audio Fanboy's?:rolleyes:
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-05
    Amp: Emotiva Xpa-3
    Front L/R: POLK Rti-a9s':D
    Center:POLK Csi-a6
    Rear surround's:POLK Rti-a1s'
    Sub: Klipsch Synergy sub-12
    Sony Kdl-46w4100 46" LCD
    PS3
    Audioquest type 4 wiring.