Emotiva Story.

Options

Comments

• genjivn
    genjivn Posts: 101
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Saw the ad at my local McDonald: 100% beef, real cheese. Should they call it a reference burger lol? I bet it would upset customers of Carl Junior, Burger King, Jack in the box, ...

Anyway megasat16, I did not attack you personally. I just make my argument.
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited February 2009
    Options
    ^^^^^I never take as an attack^^^^^.

This should be constructive discussion but EMO lovers Hate Me...Coz I said what it is and they can't take it. Sorry My Bad!
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited February 2009
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »
    Yeah, you are right! They matches up right but the funny thing is that one claims to be world class when the other one doesn't who has been in Audio Industry for so long. That's why I got a little carried over it but I swallowed my pills over it now. :)

Where does/did Emotiva make a claim to be World Class or refer to a product as "world class"? :confused: The only reference I see so far is where F1nut quoted what somebody posted at Audioholics.

Anybody have a link to any of these "over the top" claims in their ads?
    ... That truth from weeks ago has been changed and the word "Reference" seems to have taken out from their web pages when I visited just now. That word only appears on the XPA-1 now. :rolleyes:

Actually its mentioned in at least 55 places right now, but in all but a few, they are referring to the name of a line of products (such as Reference Theater Series (speakers), etc., or it appears in posted copies of a third party reviews, or third party bench test measuring results or
    "retain this manual in a safe place for any future reference needs".

I don't see it mentioned at all on the XPA-1 except for the fact that its part of the model name and references the technology "XPA-1 Differential Reference™ Mono-block Power Amplifier". Correction, they mention once that it's "A true reference level amplifier"

Its possible they could have cleaned house (certainly not as a result of this thread), or it could all just be hearsay. Either way I'm sure it doesn't really matter-it's advertising-If you buy a product strictly based on an ad, well...:rolleyes:

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I think were getting a big case of Emo fanboyism in here now...No one is bashing on Emo at all...simply stating that they aren't necessarily all that they're cracked up to be.;)
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • bigred7078
    bigred7078 Posts: 477
    edited February 2009
    Options
    ^^^^^I never take as an attack^^^^^.

This should be constructive discussion but EMO lovers Hate Me...Coz I said what it is and they can't take it. Sorry My Bad!

But this is where you cant get over yourself...

you did not say it like it is...you've never tried the product therefore you cannot make any valid arguments. You can speculate...but after a comment like that you obviously have your mind made up. You are just being a troll now. Your not discussing anything...you dont allow discussion..you simply shrug off emotiva and declare it rubbish. You just chase your tail around in a circle saying the same thing with no personal experience to back it up.
    Pro-ject RM-9.1 w/ Grado Sonata 1 -> USP-1 -> RPA-1 -> Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands
  • bigred7078
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I think were getting a big case of Emo fanboyism in here now...No one is bashing on Emo at all...simply stating that they aren't necessarily all that they're cracked up to be.;)

you have obviously not been reading this thread....
    Pro-ject RM-9.1 w/ Grado Sonata 1 -> USP-1 -> RPA-1 -> Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands
  • comfortablycurt
    edited February 2009
    Options
    bigred7078 wrote: »
    you have obviously not been reading this thread....

Actually I've been following it, and posting in it since it first started.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • bigred7078
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Actually I've been following it, and posting in it since it first started.

lol it was a joke...

There has been a ton of emo bashing...Someone even made a advertising poster... if thats not bashing then please inform me what is? Seriously, enlighten me.

When someone has never tried a product and declares its crap..well thats trolling and bashing...especially when they state it in every thread they can where emotiva is named
  • megasat16
    edited February 2009
    Options
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    Where does/did Emotiva make a claim to be World Class or refer to a product as "world class"? :confused: The only reference I see so far is where F1nut quoted what somebody posted at Audioholics.

Anybody have a link to any of these "over the top" claims in their ads?

Actually its mentioned in at least 55 places right now, but in all but a few, they are referring to the name of a line of products (such as Reference Theater Series (speakers), etc., or it appears in posted copies of a third party reviews, or third party bench test measuring results or
    "retain this manual in a safe place for any future reference needs".

I don't see it mentioned at all on the XPA-1 except for the fact that its part of the model name and references the technology "XPA-1 Differential Reference™ Mono-block Power Amplifier".

Its possible they could have cleaned house (certainly not as a result of this thread), or it could all just be hearsay. Either way I'm sure it doesn't really matter-it's advertising-If you buy a product strictly based on an ad, well...:rolleyes:

What I read on EMO site today is not the same as what I read on the EMO site a few weeks ago. It doesn't say Reference Line. A Reference Quality Amplifiers on almost all of the XPA series if I remember it correctly. That was then, This is Now and Different. So, take it with a grain of salt...ID company, people buying by ADs, from words of mouth, by recommendations, reading in forums; etc. :rolleyes:

But EMO seems to offer a good product and it is backing up it's product with 30 days trial so anyone who wants to try out can gladly do so.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • comfortablycurt
    edited February 2009
    Options
    lol it was a joke...

There has been a ton of emo bashing...Someone even made a advertising poster... if thats not bashing then please inform me what is? Seriously, enlighten me.

All of that was just in good fun though. No one is saying that "Emo is garbage and no one should ever buy it for any reason". Basically everyone that has been "bashing" Emo, has said that they are a nice product, that has their definite place in the market. They aren't really a contender once you start stepping up to stuff that really IS better than Emo though, that's the point people have been trying to make. You likely can do better for the same money...

People aren't bashing Emo...but rather their overzealous approach to marketing. They rely on a lot of consumer blindness and misconception with their products...just like a couple other companies that come to mind. I to noticed how a couple weeks ago, every page on their site was plastered with phrases like "reference quality" and whatnot...Reference is a title that's earned though, not just given because they said so.

Reference quality is more than just a term...it defines a product that is...of reference quality.

There are already plenty of customers out there that have Emo amps...and just assume that they're the best because of all the marketing hype. That's really not the case though.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • megasat16
    edited February 2009
    Options
    But this is where you cant get over yourself...

you did not say it like it is...you've never tried the product therefore you cannot make any valid arguments. You can speculate...but after a comment like that you obviously have your mind made up. You are just being a troll now. Your not discussing anything...you dont allow discussion..you simply shrug off emotiva and declare it rubbish. You just chase your tail around in a circle saying the same thing with no personal experience to back it up.

THIS IS A FUNNY **** YOU SAID!

Curt, Thanks for seeing what I said!

If any of you interested, go find my old posts (in many other threads) and you'll see I always said others in the CP to try out EMO and judge with one's own ear. So, call me whatever u want...it's not gonna change a thing about what I read in EMO site weeks ago.

I have never DECLARE EMO "RUBBISH" NEVER. U must be drunken and trypin?

I also have never subjectively or purposely talk trashed about EMO so far yet. Simple facts are taken out and EMO fanboys start throwing rocks...I couldn't care less.

Good Night, Troll Sign Out!
  • mmadden28
    edited February 2009
    Options
    The only thing that bothers me is that EMO marketing hype preying out on unsuspecting buyers from CP and I thought people should be informed that what inside the box may not be what said outside the box (or on their website a few weeks ago anyway).

... But I can't simply agree uninformed buyers to fall into prey to EMO hypes.

"marketing hype on unsuspecting buyers from CP..."
    Huh what?

Fall prey to what?

What is it exactly that you are informing everybody about? What is the misleading hype?

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
  • bigred7078
    edited February 2009
    Options
    All of that was just in good fun though. No one is saying that "Emo is garbage and no one should ever buy it for any reason". Basically everyone that has been "bashing" Emo, has said that they are a nice product, that has their definite place in the market. They aren't really a contender once you start stepping up to stuff that really IS better than Emo though, that's the point people have been trying to make. You likely can do better for the same money...

Um if thats how you want to see it. I can recall two or three people that have said its good, but there is more bashing than just outwardly saying its garbage. AGAIN you cannot say something is "better" if you have never tried the product to begin with... I have no problem with others that have tried out different products and it was not for them

And again enlighten me what is most likely better for the same money?

This is quite funny, because you were JUST looking into emotiva and as soon as you read this thread you changed your mind lol.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Ya'll keep drinking that Kool-Aid.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bigred7078
    edited February 2009
    Options

I also have never subjectively or purposely talk trashed about EMO so far yet. Simple facts are taken out and EMO fanboys start throwing rocks...I couldn't care less.

Good Night, Troll Sign Out!

you couldn't care less but yet you feel the need to overly attack their marketing? hmmm right. Reference to you is indeed not reference to something else so how is this deceptive marketing lol
  • megasat16
    edited February 2009
    Options
    "marketing hype on unsuspecting buyers from CP..."
    Huh what?

Fall prey to what?

What is it exactly that you are informing everybody about? What is the misleading hype?

You missed a good AD ran on EMO sites many weeks ago. Just Read Curt's Post above and you'll see what I said.

When I read on EMO site today, which is updated version has a lot less "Reference" in it and only appears on the XPA-1 series. That's all I want to say.

Again, Troll Here Signing Out from CP!
  • bigred7078
    edited February 2009
    Options
  • bigred7078
    edited February 2009
    Options
    You missed a good AD ran on EMO sites many weeks ago. Just Read Curt's Post above and you'll see what I said.

When I read on EMO site today, which is updated version has a lot less "Reference" in it and only appears on the XPA-1 series. That's all I want to say.

Ya know what, i apologize for some reason i was confusing your posts with heiney9...i dont know why but i was...my fault. I completley confused myself...sorry man :o
  • genjivn
    genjivn Posts: 101
    edited February 2009
    Options
    megasat16, He made you sign back in lol.

Common gentlemen, Polkie and Emo should live peacefully together.

BTW, my LSi 25 and the RPA-2 seem to like each other lol
  • comfortablycurt
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Um if thats how you want to see it. I can recall two or three people that have said its good, but there is more bashing than just outwardly saying its garbage. AGAIN you cannot say something is "better" if you have never tried the product to begin with... I have no problem with others that have tried out different products and it was not for them

And again enlighten me what is most likely better for the same money?

This is quite funny, because you were JUST looking into emotiva and as soon as you read this thread you changed your mind lol.

Actually I didn't "just" change my mind. I've been having second thoughts about them for around a month now, and had basically decided not to go with Emotiva a couple weeks ago.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1239390838&/Rotel-RMB1075S-120-watt-x-5-ch

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1239126789&/Rotel-RMB-1075-Silver-5-x-120-

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1237736762&/Rotel-RMB-1085-class-d-five-ch

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1238959377&/Rotel-RB-1080-

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1239476781&/Adcom-gfa-545-ii-series-ii

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1239286172&/Adcom-555-Mk2-

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1238545462&/Adcom-GFA-5500-high-current-po

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1239466283&/Adcom-GFA-7605-multi-channel-p

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1239466284&/Adcom-GFA-7607-multi-channel-p

There are a few. Those are all of about the same, or lower, price than the popular Emo's. They're all from established manufacturers that are known for using higher quality caps/resistors etc., and have much more widely proven track records than Emo does. That's assuming that you don't mind buying used of course...which I don't.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • mmadden28
    edited February 2009
    Options
    ... They rely on a lot of consumer blindness and misconception with their products...just like a couple other companies that come to mind. I to noticed how a couple weeks ago, every page on their site was plastered with phrases like "reference quality" and whatnot...Reference is a title that's earned though, not just given because they said so.

Reference quality is more than just a term...it defines a product that is...of reference quality.

There are already plenty of customers out there that have Emo amps...and just assume that they're the best because of all the marketing hype. That's really not the case though.

What consumer blindness are they taking advantage of? What misconception?

Please define what qualities allow something to use that 'term' "Reference Quality".

• bigred7078
    edited February 2009
    Options

cool no warranty. I was referring to new. Of course you can buy anything used cheap. I can also buy cheap used emotiva gear.

HAlf those you listed compare exactly to the UPA-7...which is cheaper than those used items and has a 5 year warranty.
  • bigred7078
    edited February 2009
    Options

Please define what qualities allow something to use that 'term' "Reference Quality".

This is also something i would like to know.

Why are you able to define what reference is, but emotiva can't? Makes no sense.
  • comfortablycurt
    edited February 2009
    Options
    What consumer blindness are they taking advantage of? What misconception?

The consumer blindness that makes people believe in the over-marketing hype, and not actually go out and even research another company before making their mind up. The misconception that they're getting a "reference" quality item, when they're actually just getting an item that happens to be described as being "reference" by the manufacturer.

The term reference has come to have a certain meaning, and contain certain qualities within the audio world. It has to live up to that "reference" name. The fact that they are using poor quality caps/resistors etc. in their products, isn't a very good indicator of something being of "reference" quality.

Again...I'm not bashing Emotiva. Many people are more than happy with their Emo's. I'm happy that they're happy. That's what defines a good purchase...if you're happy with what you bought, then it was money well spent. Hands down.

I'm going to look into something that has a more proven track record though. For those who do want to go with Emotiva? Great. They definitely fill a market segment well. For people who don't feel comfortable buying used equipment, and don't have a lot of money to spend, Emo is probably the way to go, but looking in the used market you can find something for the same, or less money that is likely going to make you much happier.

These are just my opinions.;)
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • mmadden28
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Curt, you say you are just stating your opinions but you are doing so with seeming conviction. As if you definitively know some mass misconception is going on. Like you were taken advantage of by the evil Emotiva Empire.

The consumer blindness and over marketing hype in the audio world is not exclusive to Emotiva. Yet you feel the need to post your convictions, without apparent basis in a thread obviously created to incite (i.e what appears to be jumping on the apparent bashing bandwagon). If you (and others) really truly didn't care to bash on Emotiva, then why post in this thread at all.

I'm still not sure how Emotiva swept through here and blinded everybody. As far as I can tell any 'hype' is all word of mouth or based on onwners experiences, Not really sourced from Emotiva.

Just my observations of how things look.

• bigred7078
    edited February 2009
    Options
    The consumer blindness that makes people believe in the over-marketing hype, and not actually go out and even research another company before making their mind up. The misconception that they're getting a "reference" quality item, when they're actually just getting an item that happens to be described as being "reference" by the manufacturer.

The term reference has come to have a certain meaning, and contain certain qualities within the audio world. It has to live up to that "reference" name. The fact that they are using poor quality caps/resistors etc. in their products, isn't a very good indicator of something being of "reference" quality.

Again...I'm not bashing Emotiva. Many people are more than happy with their Emo's. I'm happy that they're happy. That's what defines a good purchase...if you're happy with what you bought, then it was money well spent. Hands down.

I'm going to look into something that has a more proven track record though. For those who do want to go with Emotiva? Great. They definitely fill a market segment well. For people who don't feel comfortable buying used equipment, and don't have a lot of money to spend, Emo is probably the way to go, but looking in the used market you can find something for the same, or less money that is likely going to make you much happier.

These are just my opinions.;)

All you are doing is spinning your own version of emotiva is not good lol. You have also never tried an emotiva amp. But you say "you can get something cheaper used that is likely better", and you know this how? Oh wait you dont. Your just regurgitating what you have read on CP about them.

And what is this reference name companies have to live up to? That is an unfounded statement. Your just making excuses without any real reason than saying it doesnt hold up to the reference name. But you never define what that reference name is. If you can name this reference point i will let down. But until then you are aimlessly arguing something that you cannot define.

I agree a company should not deceive consumers. But to say it deceived people by calling all of its amps reference is another silly statement.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2009
    Options
    The empty can rattles the most.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • metal83
    metal83 Posts: 1,219
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I love how some of you guys can judge something you've never even heard.
    Why not just get one and try it out, or simply forget about it and move on if you have no interest. There is no possible way any of you can make a credible conclusion without at the very least hearing one of the products for yourself. No matter what parts it uses or doesn't use, what their adds say, or how much it costs (god forbid they are modestly priced :eek:).
  • comfortablycurt
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Curt, you say you are just stating your opinions but you are doing so with seeming conviction. As if you definitively know some mass misconception is going on. Like you were taken advantage of by the evil Emotiva Empire.

The consumer blindness and over marketing hype in the audio world is not exclusive to Emotiva. Yet you feel the need to post your convictions, without apparent basis in a thread obviously created to incite (i.e what appears to be jumping on the apparent bashing bandwagon). If you (and others) really truly didn't care to bash on Emotiva, then why post in this thread at all.

I'm still not sure how Emotiva swept through here and blinded everybody. As far as I can tell any 'hype' is all word of mouth or based on onwners experiences, Not really sourced from Emotiva.

Just my observations of how things look.

I haven't said at any point that I "know" that Emo is involved to some mass misconception, just that a lot of their success is due to that. A lot of people get the idea to look into external amps, and they see the word "Emotiva" plastered all over a bunch of message board...they go look at Emotiva's website, read the specs, and see "how many watts per dollar", if you will, that it has, and don't even bother to look into anything else.

I respect your opinions on the subject...and I assure you that all of the things I've stated are purely that. Opinions...none of that is based in fact at all. I'd love to listen to an Emo sometime and see how they compare with other companies.
    All you are doing is spinning your own version of emotiva is not good lol. You have also never tried an emotiva amp. But you say "you can get something cheaper used that is likely better", and you know this how? Oh wait you dont. Your just regurgitating what you have read on CP about them.

And what is this reference name companies have to live up to? That is an unfounded statement. Your just making excuses without any real reason than saying it doesnt hold up to the reference name. But you never define what that reference name is. If you can name this reference point i will let down. But until then you are aimlessly arguing something that you cannot define.

I agree a company should not deceive consumers. But to say it deceived people by calling all of its amps reference is another silly statement.

That's what the word "likely" is for. I didn't say that you could spend the same money elsewhere, and definitely get something nicer. There is a strong possibility of it though.

The reference point to me, is being of reference quality. The usage of high quality components in their products is a big factor in that. Emotiva's usage of cheaper components makes me feel that they aren't exactly deserving of the term "reference".

The term "reference" in itself is one of the misconceptions they have going on. People see that word, and just assume that it's an extremely high quality component, made of the highest quality parts possible.

That being said...I'm not really too worried about this whole debate anyway. I don't feel any need to sit here and get a head ache trying to defend my reasoning for deciding to spend my money with a company aside from Emotiva. For those of you who do want to spend your money with Emo...go ahead. I support you 100%, I hope you're happy with your purchase, and I look forward to hearing about your results with them.

I'll be spending about the same money on something used though...and I look forward to listening to it, and hopefully I'll get a chance to compare it to an Emo someday.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • mmadden28
    edited February 2009
    Options

Where was the Ad?

Attached is a zip that contains 2 files. One is a printout of the XPA-1 product page from 12/29/08. The other is the Main page with the sale (same date). At least on those two pages I don't see anything blatantly overmarketed or infact that much different than they are right now.

Note the files are XPS files which are Microsoft's version of a PDF file. If you don't have Vista, or an XPS viewer and would like to see these, you can get the viewer here. I'll try to figure out how to convert them to an image. No need for any MS bashers to jump in and tell me to get rid of Vista. :p
    EMO.zip 1019.9K