OPPO BDP-83 It is simply spectacular ....

Options
Bernal
Bernal Posts: 991
edited October 2010 in Electronics
Hi,
I want to share that I get the new "OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player w/SACD & DVD-Audio"
It is simply spectacular ....:)

http://www.hometheatermag.com/discplayers/oppo_bdp-83_universal_blu-ray_player/index.html

01) DENON AVR-4308CI: Advanced 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH/ 3.1+2+2 CH A/V Home Theater /MultiMedia Multi-Source/Zone Receiver with Networking and WiFi/170 watts x 7 channels
02) SUNFIRE Grand Signature - Bob Carver's
03) OPPO DV-980H 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI and 7.1CH Audio
04) OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player w/SACD & DVD-Audio / DENON DVD-2500BTCI: Blu-ray Disc™ DVD/CD Digital Player/Transport
05) HITACHI P55T501. 55" HD1080 Plasma HDTV
06) POLKAUDIO LSiC (Center speaker)
07) POLKAUDIO LSi15 LEFT (Front speaker)
08) POLKAUDIO LSi15 RIGHT (Front speaker)
09) POLKAUDIO LSif/x LEFT (Surround speaker)
10) POLKAUDIO LSif/x RIGHT (Surround speaker)
11) VELODYNE OPTIMUN SERIES (High Output Digital EQ SubWoofer 2400W/1200WRMS)
Post edited by Bernal on

Comments

• danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Yep, its the best out there for now.
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Why post it in the speaker section?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Lol, good question BlueFox, maybe because it sounds spectacular too??
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2009
    Options
    An interesting review but not much on how the Oppo compares AUDIO-wise with other SACD/DVD-Audio players?

Sounds like the reviewer just LOVES the video processing. Nothing wrong with that. But that's not enough for me.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,065
    edited August 2009
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    An interesting review but not much on how the Oppo compares AUDIO-wise with other SACD/DVD-Audio players?

Sounds like the reviewer just LOVES the video processing. Nothing wrong with that. But that's not enough for me.

cnh

Thats a great question if you are not streaming it over HDMI. But If you are streaming it, I don't think you will notice any difference.

I so want to pick one up. Then I could get rid of my Ps3 and Pioneer Elite Dv58av.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited August 2009
    Options
    From the posts I've seen around here, people are really touching themselves in public over this Oppo.
    I'm regretting buying the Pioneer BDP51fd:o
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,065
    edited August 2009
    Options
    obieone wrote: »
    From the posts I've seen around here, people are really touching themselves in public over this Oppo.
    I'm regretting buying the Pioneer BDP51fd:o

The 51 is a fantastic player after it starts up, hell I suggest just leaving it on all the time or turning it on first. You have there if you listen to cd's a high quality cd player. It's simply fantastic. Video and audio quality is top notch.

Why I don't own one or the Elite version is load times and no Ethernet connection. I have installed many of both and had to go back to do firmware upgrades. I enjoy going back to jobs but not for this reason. I think it's a crime not to have a ethernet connection on a device that basically requires it. As gear today gets updates all the time not to mention BD live , why one would release a player without Ethernet is stupid. I get pissed off at all this upgrade bullcrap. Constantly having to make changes to run a disc. Give me a break , how many times have you had to upgrade your dvd players firmware to run a disc?

The Oppo seems to be everything I could ever want in a Disc player. With all it's support and over HDMI , it's the perfect piece. Not to mention it's all you need . I love the idea of having less gear , less wires , etc.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Yep could really simplify with this and the new Anthem integrated....hmmmm. Downsizing?????......naaaah!

How bout a new amp instead!!!
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • Bernal
    edited August 2009
    Options
    cnh wrote: »

cnh

Hi,
    Views on the audio performance is excellent.:)

http://www.avguide.com/review/playback-22-oppo-digital-bdp-83-blu-rayuniversal-player

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-digital-bdp-83-universal-player-reviewed/
  • SoundArtillery
    SoundArtillery Posts: 39
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Can the Oppo really compete with higher end players from Marantz or Esoteric? Are we talking about 90% performance from the Oppo?
  • Bernal
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Can the Oppo really compete with higher end players from Marantz or Esoteric? Are we talking about 90% performance from the Oppo?

IN MY OPINION. "OPPO" became MY REFERENCE today. As a user of MARANTZ and DENON. OPPO do compete very satisfactory.:):):):)

http://www.hometheatermag.com/discplayers/oppo_bdp-83_universal_blu-ray_player/index.html

http://www.avguide.com/review/playba...iversal-player

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-di...ayer-reviewed/

01) DENON AVR-4308CI: Advanced 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH/ 3.1+2+2 CH A/V Home Theater /MultiMedia Multi-Source/Zone Receiver with Networking and WiFi/170 watts x 7 channels
    03) OPPO DV-980H 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI and 7.1CH Audio
    04) OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player w/SACD & DVD-Audio / DENON DVD-2500BTCI: Blu-ray Disc™ DVD/CD Digital Player/Transport

• SoundArtillery
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Bernal wrote: »
    IN MY OPINION. "OPPO" became MY REFERENCE today. As a user of MARANTZ and DENON. OPPO do compete very satisfactory.:):):):)

http://www.avguide.com/review/playba...iversal-player

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-di...ayer-reviewed/

I've been trying to understand what parts are ued in the Marantz gear. It seems the Oppo would require some tweaking to eak out every bit of performance.
  • BigMac
    BigMac Posts: 849
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Found this 'unofficial' FAQ for the Oppo BDP-83. Was looking for a few answers to my questions and stumbled upon this. Enjoy.

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html#where-can-i-buy-non-region-a-1-versions-of-this-player

Also, everything you ever wanted to know about the Oppo is here as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124287

One of my questions was, 'Can this player be made to be region free'? The answer is, yes. You will have to research it on your own though as Oppo does not support this feature and doing so will VOID your warranty. Do this "hack" at your own risk.

There are 2 ways to mod it. Software or hardware. If you choose software, be aware that every firmware upgrade you do to your player, you will have to wait for someone to write new software for it to be region free with the new firmware. If you choose the hardware region free upgrade, no matter how many times the firmware is upgraded, the region free access is still there. No waiting. JUST REMEMBER THOUGH, ANY MOD COULD BRICK YOUR PLAYER SO BE CAREFUL!!!!
  • BigMac
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Here are some pics of the inside of the unit. Credit goes to the OP (kingfats) over at AVForums.com.

IMG_2612.jpg
    IMG_2614.jpg
    IMG_2621.jpg
    IMG_2623.jpg
    IMG_2631.jpg
    IMG_2626.jpg
    IMG_2636.jpg
  • BigMac
    edited August 2009
    Options

Actually from everything I have read over the last hour or so comparing this player to others is that this player wins hands down. To get all the features and quality this player has, most all of the posts I read said you would have to purchase a $4500.00 unit from Denon to compete. Hell, I have no idea if this is true or not (I do not own this player........yet) but after seeing about 100+ posts agreeing to this I would assume it to be some what accurate. You know what they say about assuming though.
  • SoundArtillery
    edited August 2009
    Options
    BigMac wrote: »
    Actually from everything I have read over the last hour or so comparing this player to others is that this player wins hands down. To get all the features and quality this player has, most all of the posts I read said you would have to purchase a $4500.00 unit from Denon to compete. Hell, I have no idea if this is true or not (I do not own this player........yet) but after seeing about 100+ posts agreeing to this I would assume it to be some what accurate. You know what they say about assuming though.

Not to down Emotiva, but to draw a comparison; I have seen 100 plus pages about how sweet the Emotiva cd player is as a reference player. Trust me, its not anywhere near the player of my Raysonic despite claims. I wonder how many of these claims are from fan boys who believe if they post enough good comments about how good the Oppo is, then reality will change and the player will really become better.
  • BigMac
    edited August 2009
    Options
    For the best sound concerning redbook or SACD playback a dedicated player would sound better imo. Of course, a cheap $100.00 player is most likely not going to best the Oppo but then again it may depending on what YOU hear. Now for a universal player that will play almost anything, I believe so far from what I've read, this is the player to go for. And at $499 it's almost a no brainer. I may have to get this player before I get a new cd player which I have been researching lately. I am all about bang for the buck and this looks to be a winner so far. I'm no fanboy as I just started learning about it today. This player looks like it will do almost anything except maybe the dishes.
  • danz1906
    edited August 2009
    Options
    For the best sound concerning redbook or SACD playback a dedicated player would sound better imo. Of course, a cheap $100.00 player is most likely not going to best the Oppo but then again it may depending on what YOU hear. Now for a universal player that will play almost anything, I believe so far from what I've read, this is the player to go for. And at $499 it's almost a no brainer. I may have to get this player before I get a new cd player which I have been researching lately. I am all about bang for the buck and this looks to be a winner so far. I'm no fanboy as I just started learning about it today. This player looks like it will do almost anything except maybe the dishes.

It seems to be a great unit-Go for it!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited August 2009
    Options
    First and foremost the 83 is a Blu Ray Player built on the back of the 983 which has been noted by most critics as the premier upscaling DVD player out there. Not for looks, not for sound quality, but pure video performance. Due to the video performance, this BD player certainly measures well against any high end competition. Add the universal features, connectivity, speed and reports of even better upscaling ability and you've got one hell of a player. For audio quality, it's the best they could make it at it's pricepoint. It won't matter if you're passing the digital signal through to your pre, but as an analog player it's pretty darned good, but it can't be reference. I'm quite pleased with it, but I don't know what reference is.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • SoundArtillery
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Yeah, I'm more concerned about the sound. My TV is great, but the audio makes the experience for me. I really want the player for SACD and CD support. Blu-Ray would be great because I could sell my PS3.
  • Bernal
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Found this 'unofficial' FAQ for the Oppo BDP-83. Was looking for a few answers to my questions and stumbled upon this. Enjoy.

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html#where-can-i-buy-non-region-a-1-versions-of-this-player

Also, everything you ever wanted to know about the Oppo is here as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124287

One of my questions was, 'Can this player be made to be region free'? The answer is, yes. You will have to research it on your own though as Oppo does not support this feature and doing so will VOID your warranty. Do this "hack" at your own risk.

There are 2 ways to mod it. Software or hardware. If you choose software, be aware that every firmware upgrade you do to your player, you will have to wait for someone to write new software for it to be region free with the new firmware. If you choose the hardware region free upgrade, no matter how many times the firmware is upgraded, the region free access is still there. No waiting. JUST REMEMBER THOUGH, ANY MOD COULD BRICK YOUR PLAYER SO BE CAREFUL!!!!

Important links. Thanks, do not know.
    Impressed with Oppo. Today I made a comparison with a DVD-3800BDCI: Blu-ray. Video results: No difference. In audio, 4308Ci next to the Oppo, to hear angels sing. There is a marked improvement in the audio. It's my reference. :):)

• Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Not to down Emotiva, but to draw a comparison; I have seen 100 plus pages about how sweet the Emotiva cd player is as a reference player. Trust me, its not anywhere near the player of my Raysonic despite claims. I wonder how many of these claims are from fan boys who believe if they post enough good comments about how good the Oppo is, then reality will change and the player will really become better.

Take everything you read with a grain of salt. I just wadded through the 19K+ and 2k+ threads over on AVS. One person posted that the 2ch out of the OPPO beat their Cambride 840C CDP which is highly regarded here, then a few pages further someone claimed the 640C easily beat the OPPO. One guy said he preferred a cheaper Pioneer's 2ch out to the OPPO, and was flamed constantly for it.

Many times, especially on AVS, people are used to their $500 receiver sound thinking thats as good as it gets, then they get something decent in their system and think they found the holy grail. They wax and wane about how its the best sounding player out there EVER. My favorite is the comments like "the best below $1k", then when you ask them what they tried below that price point its some $100 dvd player or a PS3.
  • Bernal
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Gaara wrote: »
    Take everything you read with a grain of salt. I just wadded through the 19K+ and 2k+ threads over on AVS. One person posted that the 2ch out of the OPPO beat their Cambride 840C CDP which is highly regarded here, then a few pages further someone claimed the 640C easily beat the OPPO. One guy said he preferred a cheaper Pioneer's 2ch out to the OPPO, and was flamed constantly for it.

Many times, especially on AVS, people are used to their $500 receiver sound thinking thats as good as it gets, then they get something decent in their system and think they found the holy grail. They wax and wane about how its the best sounding player out there EVER. My favorite is the comments like "the best below $1k", then when you ask them what they tried below that price point its some $100 dvd player or a PS3.

The important thing is our ear.
    My sources have been Sony, EP-30 HD DVD Toshiba, Marantz, Denon. Oppo to get my configuration changes were marked.
    After listening to several CDs encoded with the HDCD (The Doors - The Doors, Waiting for the sun, You are the One and Supertramp - Some Things Never Change) on the Oppo and the Rotel RCD-971 from a friend, we can say that There is a clear difference between the two.
    The sound of the Rotel shows a somewhat more serious blunt the Oppo provides a wider sound image, clear and deep, in which there is a greater separation of instruments due to media and more detailed treble. My friend tells me that it seems that both have been equalized with a different approach, putting more emphasis on the bottom of the range sound for the Rotel and highlighting the medium and high ranges in the case of Oppo.
    Once again, Oppo is my reference. The important thing is our ear;).

• Bernal
    edited August 2009
    Options
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Gaara wrote: »

Yep, you're never going to get concensus from so large a group of people with such a huge curve in their experience and gear. There are enough gearheads on the video side, so that along with reviews, you get a pretty clear picture that the player is special. The only conclusion that you can draw about audio performance is that it's pretty darned good, but you may prefer something else...which is just fine.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • SoundArtillery
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I'd say that sums it up. I just wonder if pretty damn good is good enough for me. I may be ordering one here soon.
  • Bernal
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Ron Temple wrote: »
    Yep, you're never going to get concensus from so large a group of people with such a huge curve in their experience and gear. There are enough gearheads on the video side, so that along with reviews, you get a pretty clear picture that the player is special. The only conclusion that you can draw about audio performance is that it's pretty darned good, but you may prefer something else...which is just fine.

I think the same.
    This in and we decide to hear that people think based on their experience.
    I got it and I'm very happy with the results.
    The image on their strengths and weaknesses is very clear in the experts.
    I add two links to prove it.

http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-players-recorders/oppo-bdp-83/4505-9991_7-33712796.html?tag=mncol;lst

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-video-players/blu-ray-players/oppo-bdp-83-blu-ray-player.html
  • Bernal
    edited August 2009
    Options
  • speedster2333
    speedster2333 Posts: 37
    edited September 2009
    Options
  • danz1906
    edited September 2009
    Options