OPPO BDP-83 It is simply spectacular ....

Options

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2010
    Options
    emoxley wrote: »
    Maybe you did miss something........:)

....why would it matter who their unauthorized dealers are? :confused: I'm an unauthorized Oppo Dealer.

Got a great deal on another BDP-83 for you, $999.00. Cash & Carry, baby. ;)
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2010
    Options
    vc69 wrote: »
    Demi,

do you have the standard -83?

Standard. :)
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited February 2010
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Oppo makes all kinds of digital devices...their shops and stands are all over China and probably Japan? Sherardp? Do you know?

Ok...I'm going to bed...

cnh

Haven't really seen much on this side CNH. I'm sure you have a better chance of seeing things out there than here. Just don't hear much about them unless I'm working with the American guys and they will mention the name Oppo. From there I'll chime in, and offer a demo if they like to see it.

By the way how is everything going for you in China bro? I'm heading back to the USA in April so gearing up for the long flight again. Not sure of the route I'll take this time. I usually hop through LAX to break up the flying time.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Do you guys hear these clicks and pops when playing certain SACDs?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1225658&page=5
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Sherardp wrote: »
    Haven't really seen much on this side CNH. I'm sure you have a better chance of seeing things out there than here. Just don't hear much about them unless I'm working with the American guys and they will mention the name Oppo. From there I'll chime in, and offer a demo if they like to see it.

By the way how is everything going for you in China bro? I'm heading back to the USA in April so gearing up for the long flight again. Not sure of the route I'll take this time. I usually hop through LAX to break up the flying time.

Have a good trip Sherard...we're just back from a 2 week swing through Taiwan, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hong Kong. If you're a 'shopper' you've gotta love Hong Kong.

Another 5 months in Beijing with some short trips....Hope to get to Kyoto for a week in the summer? Have a good time in the U.S. We'll return late July Beijing to Newark direct....gotta love it! Then leave for a couple of weeks of R&R in Greece.

Sorry for jacking the thread a bit...probably should've pm'd!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • emoxley
    emoxley Posts: 205
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »
    ....why would it matter who their unauthorized dealers are? :confused: I'm an unauthorized Oppo Dealer.

Got a great deal on another BDP-83 for you, $999.00. Cash & Carry, baby. ;)
    I just said they're not an internet only company, like I and others thought they were. I didn't say to rush out and buy from an unauthorized dealer. I found the email they sent back to me. Here's their answer:
    We only list specific resellers which have been authorized to sell the units online. Offline resellers are not listed on our website, though we do have several hundred scattered across the country.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
    OPPO Digital, Inc.
    2629B Terminal Blvd.
    Mountain View, CA 94043
    Service@oppodigital.com
    Tel: 650-961-1118
    Fax: 650-961-1119
    Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP
    Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver
    Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player
    Polk Audio LSi9 front speakers
    Polk Audio LSiC center speaker
    Sony SS-MB100H rear speakers
    SVS PC12-NSD powered subwoofer
    Pioneer PL-514 turntable
    Logitech Harmony 628 Universal Remote
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited February 2010
    Options
    polkatese wrote: »
    Do you guys hear these clicks and pops when playing certain SACDs?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1225658&page=5
    The crackling issues with SACD were supposedly resolved several firmware updates back. I haven't had any issues with it though.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I never had any SACD issues with the popping and crackling. Had some DVD-A issues very early on but it has long since been resolved with firmware update.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • polkatese
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Good to know. thanks guys.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Bernal
    Bernal Posts: 991
    edited March 2010
    Options
    htr-top.jpg

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-bdp-83-special-edition-universal-player-reviewed/

Oppo BDP-83 Player Reviewed
    By: Brian Kahn - Reviewer's System
    Category: Blu-ray Player Reviews, Equipment Reviews, Video Reviews
    Resources & Links: Blu-ray , Blu-ray Profile 2.0 , DVD-Audio (DVD-A) , Oppo , SACD , View Brian Kahn's Reviews

February 8, 2010
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Bernal wrote: »
    htr-top.jpg

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-bdp-83-special-edition-universal-player-reviewed/

Oppo BDP-83 Player Reviewed
    By: Brian Kahn - Reviewer's System
    Category: Blu-ray Player Reviews, Equipment Reviews, Video Reviews
    Resources & Links: Blu-ray , Blu-ray Profile 2.0 , DVD-Audio (DVD-A) , Oppo , SACD , View Brian Kahn's Reviews

February 8, 2010
    That's an SE review...looks like a fair assessmet.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Bernal
    edited March 2010
    Options
    http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/ultimate-gear/mcintosh_mvp881_universal_blu-ray_player/

"...McIntosh MVP881 Universal Blu-ray Player
    Posted Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:27 PM ET

Considering all the recent brouhaha about the $3500 Lexicon BD-30 actually being a rebranded Oppo BDP-83 (list price $500), I was suspicious when I saw a CES press release introducing the MVP881 universal disc player from McIntosh Laboratory. But then I read that the MVP881 uses the HQV Realta video processor, whereas the Oppo/Lexicon uses VRS from Anchor Bay, so it can't be another more-expensive knock-off.

Like the Oppo/Lexicon, the MVP881 is a true universal disc spinner with the ability to play Blu-ray, DVD, CD, DVD-Audio, and SACD. It also provides an SD memory-card reader and Ethernet port for BD-Live content and future firmware upgrades. Of course, it can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD audio to PCM via HDMI 1.3 or analog for its 7.1 and 2-channel outputs, complete with full bass management...."
  • Bernal
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The Absolute Sound 2010 Editor's Choice Awards
  • AGUERRA
    AGUERRA Posts: 147
    edited March 2010
    Options
    man i would love to have one of these but unless my ps3 craps out its not gonna happen. but you never know all that wear and tear from movies and games cant be good for my ps3. might just need a standalone player. just tring to convince my self to pull thr trigger.:D
    front: rti8
    center: csi5
    surround: fxi3
    sub: eD a2-300
    receiver: onkyo 805
    ps3
  • bsoko2
    bsoko2 Posts: 1,449
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I got one delivered today and will install tonite.

Bill
  • polkatese
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I am thinking of this:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=77051.0

anyone else?
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited March 2010
    Options
    polkatese wrote: »
    I am thinking of this:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=77051.0

anyone else?
    Yep...in my dreams, but I've got other needs to address first.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • digitalvideo
    digitalvideo Posts: 983
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm in a dilemma, I have a bunch of old family videos on VHS that I would like to record/convert over to cd so I can watch in my bd player. My bd player is a Oppo bdp-83. The cd's I have to copy on are Memorex 16x DVD-R discs, and the others are Philips CD-R discs. Does it matter which of those cd's I use to copy on that will work in bd players? Does the Oppo player recognize and read those kind of discs? Have any of you have any experience using DVD-R and CD-R discs in bluray machines?

Also, I created another thread here in the 'Electronics' section about in the need for a DVR VHS/DVD recorder so I can first convert/record the VHS tapes over onto the cd's. I've read on other website/forums how some people after recording vhs tapes onto cd's that the cd's didn't play because the players didn't recognize it.
  • Bernal
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm in a dilemma, I have a bunch of old family videos on VHS that I would like to record/convert over to cd so I can watch in my bd player. My bd player is a Oppo bdp-83. The cd's I have to copy on are Memorex 16x DVD-R discs, and the others are Philips CD-R discs. Does it matter which of those cd's I use to copy on that will work in bd players? Does the Oppo player recognize and read those kind of discs? Have any of you have any experience using DVD-R and CD-R discs in bluray machines?

Also, I created another thread here in the 'Electronics' section about in the need for a DVR VHS/DVD recorder so I can first convert/record the VHS tapes over onto the cd's. I've read on other website/forums how some people after recording vhs tapes onto cd's that the cd's didn't play because the players didn't recognize it.

Magnavox® ZV457MG9 DVD Player/Recorder and VCR Combo

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032172
  • digitalvideo
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Should I let my Oppo do all upconverting and deinterlacing with it's processor or set it to Source Direct and pass the native content through and let my Pioneer Elite Kuro 151fd plasma's processor handle it? My pioneer has the ability to take a 1080p/24 source and upconvert it to 1080p/72 in it's "Film Mode-Advance" setting. Pioneer Kuro plasma owners say it's best to leave the native content as it is on the disc and send it through the let the Pio's processor process it with all it's Film Modes because it removes 3:2 pulldown and gives it a more theater film like look.

I contacted Oppo about this and they replied back, this was their response:
    "You will want to use 1080p and have the BDP-83 do all de-interlacing and scaling of standard definition media.

You will then enable 24Hz Conversion (disable this for 24p DVD Conversion) under Video Setup. This will force the player to output 24Hz from Blu-rays, which will allow your television to do the frame conversions."

I'm confused by that, any of you know what he means and what that will do and how I go about setting it that way?

Also, when it comes to the Oppo's Color Space feature. Should I set it to: RGB Video Level or YCbCr 4:4:4 ?
  • Bernal
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Should I let my Oppo do all upconverting and deinterlacing with it's processor or set it to Source Direct and pass the native content through and let my Pioneer Elite Kuro 151fd plasma's processor handle it? My pioneer has the ability to take a 1080p/24 source and upconvert it to 1080p/72 in it's "Film Mode-Advance" setting. Pioneer Kuro plasma owners say it's best to leave the native content as it is on the disc and send it through the let the Pio's processor process it with all it's Film Modes because it removes 3:2 pulldown and gives it a more theater film like look.

I contacted Oppo about this and they replied back, this was their response:

I'm confused by that, any of you know what he means and what that will do and how I go about setting it that way?

Also, when it comes to the Oppo's Color Space feature. Should I set it to: RGB Video Level or YCbCr 4:4:4 ?

Yes; Oppo do all upconverting and deinterlacing with it's processor.
    YCbCr 4:4:4: Video Level
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited March 2010
    Options
    not gonna read this whole thread, but has anyone mentioned the ability to super-impose subtitles from the black bars of a 2.35 movie in 16:9 to the picture itself? this is great for those with 2.35-2.40:1 screens. if i had the extra dough, i'd SERIOUSLY have to investigate this player further!

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • digitalvideo
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Do any of you know anything about the Oppo NuForce model? I been reading about it, looks pretty kick ****. Also, how does the NuForce compare to the Pio Elite bdp-09fd?

http://www.nuforce.com/hi/
  • Sherardp
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Do any of you know anything about the Oppo NuForce model? I been reading about it, looks pretty kick ****. Also, how does the NuForce compare to the Pio Elite bdp-09fd?

http://www.nuforce.com/hi/

I've seen/read about the NuForce version of this player awhile back. I have the 83 in my own setup and it is very good. I don't think any version of this player is comparable to the Pio 09. From what I read/seen the 09 is just on a whole different level. Also last I checked the prices were going down on the 09 by far so definitely worth a look. Also check out DarqueKnights review, very good write up.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84644

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Is the oppo or pio upgradible to 3D ? if not I will just stick to my ps3 that is 3d upgradible
  • Sherardp
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Is the oppo or pio upgradible to 3D ? if not I will just stick to my ps3 that is 3d upgradible

As for now neither will be 3d capable over firmware. Not sure if Oppo will allow owners to send in the units to make them 3d capable via board upgrade.

• digitalvideo
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I wonder how long it will take for the Pio 09fd's features to trickle down into their new models? Maybe their $600 dollar Elite 2010 model will be pretty much like their 09fd which is 2 years old plus HDMI 1.4 and 3D?
  • moe
    moe Posts: 48
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I must be in the minority,I thought the 83 was fine,nothing special other than the multi disc playback,I sold mine and went back to stand alone bluray and Denon sacd/dvda.
  • Bernal
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Firmware Release:

Latest Version

Release date: January 5, 2010.
    Category: Latest Official Release

Main Version: BDP83-48-1224
    Loader Version: BE2650 or BT0350
    Sub Version: MCU83-25-0811
    Installation Instructions and Download Link: Click Here
    Public Beta Release

Release Information:

Release date: March 29, 2010.
    Category: Public Beta Version

Main Version: BDP83-50-0323B
    Loader Version: BE2690 or BT0390
    Sub Version: MCU83-27-0326

Note: This release is still a beta test version, not an official release. Use it only if you would like to experiment with the new features and improvements. There is a small chance of the new features and improvements not working properly. If that happens, please update your player back to the official firmware release.