How many times do you have to buy an xbox 360?

Options

Comments

• unclepauly
    unclepauly Posts: 65
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I had a launch 360 until a few months ago. Had one problem where the scaler chip died but I had to pay $100 to get it fixed. That was it but I sold it anyway to get the new 360's with the 65nm cpu/gpu and man this one runs really quiet compared to the old dustbuster. Cool to the touch too, the old one would be crazy hot.
    Currently looking for speakers(spending 1K)
    Onkyo 805
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Yeah, I have a Jasper now too. So far, so good.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • slam2900
    slam2900 Posts: 41
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Mine worked for about a year than got the RROD, luckily costco still had their AMAZING return policy. I took it in and got one of the new ones with the HDMI out on the back. haven't had any problems since!
  • everpress
    everpress Posts: 862
    edited August 2009
    Options
    slam2900 wrote: »
    Mine worked for about a year than got the RROD, luckily costco still had their AMAZING return policy. I took it in and got one of the new ones with the HDMI out on the back. haven't had any problems since!

My HK is too old to have an HDMI input; so I disassembled the xBox's HDMI cable (since the cable end covers the RCA jacks in the back) and that made room to be able to use the HDMI direct to my TV and run RCA to my receiver.

I was a little pissed about having sound still come through the TV, but then I figured the TV's speakers worked better than my current cheap-**** center channel speaker.

Just a little tip for those with older equipment. ;)

? Harmon Kardon AVR 55 (dead; replacing with Onkyo TX NR-616)
    ? Polk RTA 11TL's (FR and FL)
    ? Polk TSi200's (RR and RL)
    ? Polk CS10 (Center)
    ? Polk PSW-350
    ? Grado SR-60i Headphones
    ? Fii0 E5 headphone amp
    ? iPod touch (8 gig)
    ? iPod Classic (80 gig)
    ? Mac Mini (as media server)
    ? xbox 360

• slam2900
    slam2900 Posts: 41
    edited August 2009
    Options
    everpress wrote: »
    My HK is too old to have an HDMI input; so I disassembled the xBox's HDMI cable (since the cable end covers the RCA jacks in the back) and that made room to be able to use the HDMI direct to my TV and run RCA to my receiver.

I was a little pissed about having sound still come through the TV, but then I figured the TV's speakers worked better than my current cheap-**** center channel speaker.

Has anyone used polk surround/sub for their 360? I'm sure you have..how amazing does it sound?
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited August 2009
    Options
    slam2900 wrote: »
    Has anyone used polk surround/sub for their 360? I'm sure you have..how amazing does it sound?

About the same as it does on my PS2. :p
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited August 2009
    Options
    everpress wrote: »

you did what?? Unsure of what you're getting at...

I didn't have to disassemble anything and am able to use RCA/optical out with HDMI
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • everpress
    everpress Posts: 862
    edited August 2009
    Options
    nguyendot wrote: »
    you did what?? Unsure of what you're getting at...

I didn't have to disassemble anything and am able to use RCA/optical out with HDMI

Erm... Maybe this'll help? I didn't want to pay $50 for the "pro" cable when I could do it myself.

Guy in vid isn't me... Just another ceap **** with old equipment, I guess.

:D

http://www.proaudiowarehouse.net/monsterpowerconditioners/audio-cable/optical-and-hdmi-on-xbox-360-at-same-time-adapter-hack

? Harmon Kardon AVR 55 (dead; replacing with Onkyo TX NR-616)
    ? Polk RTA 11TL's (FR and FL)
    ? Polk TSi200's (RR and RL)
    ? Polk CS10 (Center)
    ? Polk PSW-350
    ? Grado SR-60i Headphones
    ? Fii0 E5 headphone amp
    ? iPod touch (8 gig)
    ? iPod Classic (80 gig)
    ? Mac Mini (as media server)
    ? xbox 360

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I have a launch unit and it finally **** the bed tonight. Never so much as a hiccup prior to this and while I didn't play every day, I would put in long sessions when I did so it's not like it never saw heavy use. It was always kept in my AV rack in the horizontal position and I never screwed around with it.

The **** thing is I just bought a new house, and I'll be damned if I'm going to move into my new digs and not be able to finally enjoy blowing the doors off the place with my sound system playing Call of Duty.

I guess I'm just going to buy the new Jasper unit tonight for $199 and get it over with.

There was an interesting post earlier, that the best system in terms of games and online interactivity is the system with the most problems. It really sucks, because of all 3 consoles I have, the 360 is the only one that's not collecting dust. The build quality was reportedly so bad, but on the flip side it speaks to the quality of the experience that the 360 has to offer that people would put themselves through so much abuse to keep replacing these units.
  • MeganRobinsx3
    MeganRobinsx3 Posts: 2
    edited August 2009
    Options
    The ONLY reason I have an xbox 360 is because I can download the games online for free and burn them at no cost. It helps that I know how to mod the xbox though
    That's what she said.
  • kuntasensei
    edited August 2009
    Options
    The ONLY reason I have an xbox 360 is because I can download the games online for free and burn them at no cost. It helps that I know how to mod the xbox though

How awesome of you to admit to software piracy in a public forum! Thanks for **** the developers out of the money they should be getting for all their hard work!
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I have the answer....6...you have to buy an X-box 6 times.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • kuntasensei
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I have the answer....6...you have to buy an X-box 6 times.

Man, I wish. I'm on numbers 10 and 11 I think ('cause I own a backup). Or is my Jasper #12 since launch? I kinda' lose track.

(I'm being serious, by the way. I can post a pic of my white faceplate collection from all my RROD units.)
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Man, I wish. I'm on numbers 10 and 11 I think ('cause I own a backup). Or is my Jasper #12 since launch? I kinda' lose track.

(I'm being serious, by the way. I can post a pic of my white faceplate collection from all my RROD units.)

Money to burn kuntasensei!
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • spoonkerve
    spoonkerve Posts: 11
    edited August 2009
    Options
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Xbox 360 54.2% failure rate? link

that's amazing.:eek:
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited August 2009
    Options
    PhantomOG wrote: »

I was actually going to post that like 3-4 days ago! I was watching tv and it came up as a "on-the-know" kind of thing. I'm surprised they didn't call them back :rolleyes:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • kuntasensei
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Money to burn kuntasensei!

Not really. I only paid for 3 of them. The rest were replacements from MS.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • kuntasensei
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I should've stayed out of this thread. My non-Jasper Pro machine red-ringed tonight. So... God, is that 11 dead since launch? I think so!
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited August 2009
    Options

One of the main reasons I bought a PS3, lots of my friends have had X-Box's and have had nothing but problems with them. Glad I got my PS3, I love it. My son has had his 360 for less than a year and is already on #2.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • kuntasensei
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I just had my 11th 360 die since launch (though MS is fortunately replacing the one that just red-ringed for free)... but I still won't buy a PS3 because of the tiny toy-like controllers they use. The 360 controller fits my hands perfectly, and Xbox Live is vastly superior to PSN, despite PSN being free. Despite the issues that the 360 has (and believe me, I know), Sony's hubris totally bit them in the **** this generation... which is why they're dead last, despite 360s dropping like flies.

At least now the PS3 is the same price as a comparable 360. We'll see if that helps Sony snap out of their doldrums.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited August 2009
    Options
    +1 Xbox 360 is the bomb. I even modded a few of my controllers, nice paint and such. I'm on number 6 as well with a back up in the cabinet as a spare.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited August 2009
    Options

The article states that MS didn't deny the figures; It didn't state that MS confirmed or provided them. I'm sure the rate us still high, but don't take that article #'s as a factual reference. Also note that the figures came from a 'survey' of 5000 gamers-hardly factual.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • kuntasensei
    edited August 2009
    Options
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    The article states that MS didn't deny the figures; It didn't state that MS confirmed or provided them. I'm sure the rate us still high, but don't take that article #'s as a factual reference. Also note that the figures came from a 'survey' of 5000 gamers-hardly factual.

I get what you're saying... but for anecdotal evidence, take a look at this thread. Sherard is on number 6. I've had 11 die so far. And if you peruse the thread, there are enough people who've had multiple 360s die to make that 54% thing seem pretty damn plausible, if not a bit on the low side. You have to wonder what percentage of their sales numbers were previous owners buying new consoles because of MS's denial of certain problems (i.e. disc read failures, E74, etc.). Since my launch console, I bought a Core system during the time that MS lost my Pro for 6 weeks, and I bought one of the Jasper chipset Arcade units later.

Of course Microsoft didn't deny it - they're trying to deflect the situation now that the Jasper chipset has supposedly fixed the root cause of the RROD. They want the stigma of the dreaded three red lights to go away so it won't affect future sales. We'll never know the actual percentage of failures, largely because Microsoft admitting to a hard number would open them up to lawsuits galore.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Old thread but just saying bought my first xbox last month. I'm in my mid 30s. I owned a nintendo as a kid. In college my roommates had a Sega Genesis and we played Madden and NHL 94.

I made sure I got a jasper unit. I don not keep it in any enclosures. Its upright and has never even been warm. I play maybe a couple hours at a time.
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I bought my XBox about a week after they came out. I keep it enclosed in my entertainment cabinet with the rest of my gear. I never have had any problems with it and it still runs like a champ. Plugged it in, and good to go for several years.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited September 2009
    Options
    x-clamp fix did not work for me....
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • dubradio
    dubradio Posts: 181
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Lanion,

does your box still RROD? or do you have the screen freezing with no RROD?
  • AKS
    AKS Posts: 31
    edited September 2009
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    How many times do you have to buy an xbox 360?

Until you get sick enough of dealing with it and upgrade your PC for cheap at newegg and play the vast majority of 360 games for less money with much better performance. At least that would be my answer. I spent about $200 on upgrades and play all but one game I own at max settings. I hardly use my 360 now.
  • TouchyFeely
    TouchyFeely Posts: 26
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Ive had to buy 3 so far RED RING OF DEATH all 3 times.. I since purchased a WII then I busted out my difuser on my 72 inch projection tv.. I cant win for losing :(