How many times do you have to buy an xbox 360?

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,061
edited March 2010 in Video Games
Whats up all?

Well once again our 360 went down. This is the 3rd one. I found out the single red ring of death is not covered under warranty and I would have to pay to get it fixed even though it's only about 1 year old. This absolutely sucks. Microcrap sucks hard man. I can't even believe a unit that sits inside a cabinet with no back on and open air to come in has so many problems. It freezes up, it locks up , it doesn't read brand new disc's sometimes. And to top it all off I just got MK vs DC Universe Yesterday.

So I decided to go to Game stop and pick up another Pro. Only cool thing is I got a 60g now which I filled up the 20g no problem. I was going to spring for the Elite but I didn't want to spend 400 bucks on something that will last about a year. POS!!!!!!!

So I guess I will have the other one repaired and keep it as a back up or sell it. Sucks man sucks.

Dan
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I've had several die due to RRoD and/or a bad DVD drive, and all have been repaired under warranty. My original purchase was 3 years ago now, and I think I'm on my 4th or 5th system.

But this latest one has lasted me close to a year now and it's so damn loud I think they beefed up the cooling and at least solved the problem. Only trouble is now I can't have it on while listening to music because it drives me insane.

I do love the 360 though, and if this one does die and I have to buy another I would -- not sure I could live without it.

All in all, while I've been annoyed at Microsoft occasionally while waiting for my XBox to come back, they've at least taken pretty good care of me.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited December 2008
    Options
    The one I bought 3 years ago is still going strong, but I use it as a media extender and HD-DVD. No games.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I'm on number 11 since launch. As far as the single red ring goes... does it give you an error code when it does it (with single light in lower right quadrant of the ring)? If the screen is black, check the link below to find out how to diagnose the problem using secondary error codes:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/Xbox-360-error-codes.htm

You might try disconnecting and reconnecting the hard drive a few times. If it isn't properly seated, that can cause a single red light. My last 360 was being flaky like that but wouldn't red-ring. So I just left the damn thing on for a few hours... VOILA! Instant three-red-lights! May be worth a shot for you if it's already on its way out.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Mantis,

Do the towel trick to get it going again. (Youtube it if you do not know what I am talking about.) and then just keep playing it until you get the 3 red rings.

Usually 1 red ring means video issues. Other thing you can do is just keep it on until you get all 3 rings.

Never mind...sensai said it all.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd...First one last about a year and a half....2nd one lasted a month..lol

good thing I bought the Best Buy PRP...Their hardware is terrible..but I love it
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • mantis
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Mantis,

Do the towel trick to get it going again. (Youtube it if you do not know what I am talking about.) and then just keep playing it until you get the 3 red rings.

Usually 1 red ring means video issues. Other thing you can do is just keep it on until you get all 3 rings.

Never mind...sensai said it all.
    Thanks but

I'm gonna do the Send it into microsoft and get it fixed trick. I'm still pissed off that I gotta do this all over again.
    Dan
  • BeRad
    BeRad Posts: 736
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I'm still on the original one I bought. It was purchased in Sept of '07 I think: Pro with HDMI and the better heat sink (but same sized processor).

I get the RROD if I move it while it is on, but I just unplug and plug back in and it works perfectly.

A friend of mine had a bunk drive that scratched discs all the time so he just put it in a gym bag and left it on for the day. He got the RROD and sent it in for free replacement. He had a launch pro, and his replacement has been going strong for over a year.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I'm on number 11 since launch.

WHAT?!

You guys are crazy. If something failed on me 10 times I don't think I'd be back for number 11. In fact I doubt I would have been back for number 3.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I have had 6 of them fail on my so I put the one that Microshaft can never seem to fix in my bedroom for media and bought a new arcade for the main room with a warranty from Best Buy. I definitely wanted to get the Best Buy so when this new one breaks I can exchange it for a brand new one, not a slapped together one the tards at the "repair center" have made.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I am on #2, bought the first one at launch (2005). At the rate I am playing, I am hoping that it will last me till the next generation...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited December 2008
    Options
    polkatese wrote: »
    I am on #2, bought the first one at launch (2005). At the rate I am playing, I am hoping that it will last me till the next generation...

Mine gets used almost every day for a few hours. My son plays a lot and I like to play for a little a few times a week. I have many online friends and we like to get together and play. I also used to use it for HD DVD. I still once in awhile put in a HD DVD.

Dan
    Dan
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    edited December 2008
    Options
    How many times do you have to buy an xbox 360?

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.
    The answer is blowin' in the wind.
  • kuntasensei
    edited December 2008
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    WHAT?!

You guys are crazy. If something failed on me 10 times I don't think I'd be back for number 11. In fact I doubt I would have been back for number 3.

Well, in fairness, several of mine were flukes. One was in a fire in a UPS truck on its way to me. One was bricked the day I got it by an update. One had a bad GPU out of the box. And I bought an extra one when Microsoft lost my return for two months.

Either way, I acknowledge that it's excessive... but there's no suitable replacement for Xbox Live, IMHO.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited December 2008
    Options
    PS3 load times kill the gaming experience. I'm on my third Xbox. First one got the 3 red lights shortly after I modded it. Second one was sold to fund a PS3 and MGS4. Third one was purchased recently because I got a deal and am severely disgruntled with PS3 performance and total absence of anything approaching Xbox Live.

Oh yeah, AND any games on the PS3 are only as good or worse than their equivalent 360 titles.
  • bobman1235
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Well, in fairness, several of mine were flukes. One was in a fire in a UPS truck on its way to me. One was bricked the day I got it by an update. One had a bad GPU out of the box. And I bought an extra one when Microsoft lost my return for two months.

Either way, I acknowledge that it's excessive... but there's no suitable replacement for Xbox Live, IMHO.

Aside from the truck fire, those are all serious product design or reliability flaws. I mean, holy crap, to pay all that money and time just for a gaming system that is obviously very poorly built and designed...

HOw many of those 11 did you actually pay for (vs warranty returns and whatnot)? How much has playing XBOX360 cost you in the lifetime of the product? Cuz if you paid for even half of those things, even assuming they were all at the current price of 199 (which I'm sure they weren't), that's TWELVE HUNDRED DOLLARS....for video games.
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I'm still on my 1st-got it just after launch (the 2ng gen batch) IIRC Feb 06. I game only occasionally and at one point was using it as media extender streaming movies and music through it.
    Only ever had the RRoD appear after I relocated it in my Ent ctr. It was originally horizontal. I moved it and placed it vertically. Then I started getting the RRoD. It would run a few minutes, or even less then RRoD.

After a couple weeks, I caved and decided that I would send it in to MS, but I decided first to change it back to Horizontal. I haven't had the RRoD since (crossing my fingers and knocking on my LSI side panels).
    My only complaint right now is the damn thing is so loud. I can't wait to move it to a ventilated (forced air) cabinet.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,045
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Dude...buy a PS3 and be done with the whole mess.
  • tcrossma
    edited December 2008
    Options
    XBox 360 might not be perfect but even with its flaws it's still the best system out there for me. And not everyone runs into hardware problems -- I know a bunch of people who are on their originals. Not everything has to be perfect in order for it to be enjoyable and "worth it" to someone.
  • bobman1235
    edited December 2008
    Options
    tcrossma wrote: »
    XBox 360 might not be perfect but even with its flaws it's still the best system out there for me. And not everyone runs into hardware problems -- I know a bunch of people who are on their originals. Not everything has to be perfect in order for it to be enjoyable and "worth it" to someone.

There's a pretty big chasm between "perfect" and "buying 11 of the same product due to failures." I think any reasonable person understands overlooking a product's flaws if it's worth it, but I can't imagine a single product in the history of my life that I would tolerate failing 10 times in a 3 year span.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I don't know, because I've never bought one.

I only had to buy a PS3 once though.

11? SRSLY? WTF.
  • tcrossma
    edited December 2008
    Options
    There's a pretty big chasm between "perfect" and "buying 11 of the same product due to failures." I think any reasonable person understands overlooking a product's flaws if it's worth it, but I can't imagine a single product in the history of my life that I would tolerate failing 10 times in a 3 year span.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but 11 times is not really the norm. Having something break a few times is annoying and all, don't get me wrong, I was just saying that even with mine breaking a few times it's still worth it to me. The machine itself has flaws -- but the system as a whole is worth the hassle.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2008
    Options
    sorry but if you have to buy any product 3 times.. then it's not worth buying or repairing again. move on.. try a different console.. you might just like it better. sucks that you have to buy new games though if you move to a different gaming system.. at what about $50 each!

10 games @ $50 each = $500 + taxes - to me just not worth it. This is the first time i've not owned any gaming console. i could take that same $500 and buy a turntable or two channel amp or a Wii :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2008
    Options
    My first one died and Microsoft replaced it. Then the replacement died and I had to send it back to Microsoft for repairs. Great product.:rolleyes:

I did however get a PS3 for Xmas!
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited December 2008
    Options
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    I'm still on my 1st-got it just after launch (the 2ng gen batch) IIRC Feb 06. I game only occasionally and at one point was using it as media extender streaming movies and music through it.
    Only ever had the RRoD appear after I relocated it in my Ent ctr. It was originally horizontal. I moved it and placed it vertically. Then I started getting the RRoD. It would run a few minutes, or even less then RRoD.

After a couple weeks, I caved and decided that I would send it in to MS, but I decided first to change it back to Horizontal. I haven't had the RRoD since (crossing my fingers and knocking on my LSI side panels).
    My only complaint right now is the damn thing is so loud. I can't wait to move it to a ventilated (forced air) cabinet.

FYI, I would never put the 360 vertical again. I had it that way when I first got mine, and it scratched my gears of war 1 game. Microsoft offered to fix it for no charge. But it can also burn a ring into the game leaving it that way, if you use it a lot.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    edited December 2008
    Options
    returning something more than 2x is too many for me
  • manman
    manman Posts: 256
    edited December 2008
    Options
    only had mine fail once (bought in 05, failed in 08 and repaired under warranty). PS3 stopped playing blu-rays too, and had that repaired under warranty in the same week...

Sucks to have to deal with it, but as long as they fix the stuff for free under warranty I'd keep returning them, because the games are fun and it doesn't cost anything to repair.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited December 2008
    Options
    New one model should last, HDMI and everything. No probs with mine so far, but yes I keep one in my storage in the box as spare(been through 3). I have sent mine into Xbox Japan with 2 day turn around times and have been very impressed with their service. Search the forum and you will find I had quite the experience with Xbox USA (coneheads) losing my console. If you want you can send it in to Llama.com and they will repair and mod it for you, or perhaps PM me and I maybe able to assist you from my end out here since there's a tad longer service extension being I'm in Japan.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Having a friend of mine repair a 3RROD console that has been sitting on the shelf. He does the Xclamp, + uses high grade thermal paste to the CPU and GPU. He also does the 12 volt fan upgrade.

Now I would trust this guy with any of my electronics, he has so far done three of his friends 360's, with one running now at 6 months. His 360 was released in December of 2005. He has yet to get the 3RROD. BUT he redid his 360 with the Xclamp mod and thermal paste before it ever got to that.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • kuntasensei
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Aside from the truck fire, those are all serious product design or reliability flaws. I mean, holy crap, to pay all that money and time just for a gaming system that is obviously very poorly built and designed...

HOw many of those 11 did you actually pay for (vs warranty returns and whatnot)? How much has playing XBOX360 cost you in the lifetime of the product? Cuz if you paid for even half of those things, even assuming they were all at the current price of 199 (which I'm sure they weren't), that's TWELVE HUNDRED DOLLARS....for video games.

I only paid for two of them, the original and the spare. The rest were Microsoft refurbs, so I was only out the week or so that it took to send them in and get them back. They also threw in a few free games here and there for all the trouble I had, as well as a free year of Live when they lost my console for two months and I had to go through Microsoft corporate to get the issue resolved.

It should tell you a lot that I would rather go through all of that than to ever own a PS3. Sony's controllers are absolutely unusable in my hands, which is why I also never owned a PS2, whereas the 360 has the most comfortable controller I've ever used (with the possible exception of the Gravis Xterminator on the PC).

And y'know what? If both of mine died today, I'd go find a new 360 Arcade with the Jasper chipset and buy one immediately so I could get back on Xbox Live. Even with all the hassle and paying for the service, it's a far better experience than Playstation Network.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited December 2008