2006-07 ClubPolk Football Pool

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited September 2006
    Univera---

you're alright in my book:D

.... and don't forget Senor Concussion Chris Miller
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited September 2006
    Koenen will still handle all punting duties, as well as any kicks farther than 45 yards.

All Falcon's fans will forever be indebted to Anderson's game-winning kick againt a 15-1 Viking squad in Minnesota -- sending them to the Super Bowl in '98. Or better yet, indebted to Gary Anderson for missing some gimmes to allow the Falcons to make an improbable comeback.

This was the best game I have ever seen -- hands down.

So as long as Monday night's game ends early enough for him to catch Murder She Wrote or Matlock, we should be alright:D

Agreed. I was Falcon Flapping all over the room...Anderson only missed one all year-the last kick against the Falcons. Not some. Only that one-all year. Miracle.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2006
    Gerald Riggs and Michael Haynes helped me win the first FFL league I was in. Those teams from the early 90's were so fun to watch. Them and Houston were awsome! Defense? Who needs it... Oh yeah, didn't ATL scor over 30 pts in 5 straight games and lose every one? Ah, the good old days...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2006
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    I think you nailed the attitude and reason why everyone hates the Patriots perfectly! Congrats!

"QB of the Millenium"?
    "Team of the Millenium"?
    Brady compared to Woods?

Extremely laughable... :rolleyes:

a) the Millenium is only 6 years old, so I would say if there is a team and QB of the Millenium, the one that has won HALF of hte Super Bowls in that millenium would be it.

b) I'm really happy your Broncos have so much up on us head to head, I really am, but unfortunately for you and your denial, the only thing that matters in the NFL is Super Bowls. I don't think the Patriots are the "best team" in terms of talent or anything else, but the way they handle football got them their ultimate goal 3 out of 4 years. The Broncos know how to make an O-Line, and benefit from an atmospheric anomaly for 8 games a year, but haven't won the big one since they had Elway.

I don't know why you think being a sore loser towards the Pats makes you any better than the sore winners that you're complaining about.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited September 2006
    Univera -- I think it's come full circle to your cable risers thread....

Too legit to quit -- wasn't that the Falcon's anthem courtesy of Neon Deion the year they were crushed by Washington in the playoffs ('91 or '92?)
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    a) the Millenium is only 6 years old, so I would say if there is a team and QB of the Millenium, the one that has won HALF of hte Super Bowls in that millenium would be it.

b) I'm really happy your Broncos have so much up on us head to head, I really am, but unfortunately for you and your denial, the only thing that matters in the NFL is Super Bowls. I don't think the Patriots are the "best team" in terms of talent or anything else, but the way they handle football got them their ultimate goal 3 out of 4 years. The Broncos know how to make an O-Line, and benefit from an atmospheric anomaly for 8 games a year, but haven't won the big one since they had Elway.

I don't know why you think being a sore loser towards the Pats makes you any better than the sore winners that you're complaining about.

First part: only six years.. try team of the decade, lose the ego trip. Team of the Millenium is the Steelers as they have the most in the past 1000 years. Millenium? Pfft! I mean, could you imagine Steeler fans claiming that they are "the team for the next million years!!!" It would be just as accurate.

Second part: Should Bronco fans claim that we have a better team than Indy even though they keep kicking our asses in the playoffs just because we went to the AFCCG last year and they didn't? If you can't beat a team heads up, claiming superiority is a joke.

Home field advantage? Everyone has it. In 2001, if you play the Raiders without snow, they'd have wiped the floor with you. Chiefs probably have the biggest advantage in the league.

Your last sentance makes no sense...

Anyway, you asked why people tend to hate the Patriots and Ahorvitz demonstrated it perfectly...

BTW, which team has the most wins in the NFL over the past 10 years? Past 20? Past 25? Hint: It's the same answer for each question...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited September 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:

uhhh, no. The steelers won't considered the team of the millenium until december 1999 when they had the teams of the millenium thing on ESPN. Sorry bobman, you are going to have to wait 994 more years to call the pats that...:p
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2006
    The "team of the millenium" thing was a JOKE folks. Obviously you can't judge the team of a thousand year period based on the first sixx years. A JOKE, get it?

And my last sentence made perfect sense. You said you hate patriots fans because, essentially, they're sore winners. They brag too much and hold themselves to lofty titles which are, I agree, mostly undeserved. But your constant bitching and moaning about it, and then pointing out that our head to head record favors the Broncos, is a combination of sore losing (you guys haven't had a good playoff run lately, we have) and sore winning, aka the exact thing you're blaming Patriots fans of (ie, "we beat you, neeener neener, look at my not even remotely clever writeup of waht to do with your Patriots fan, I'm so funny"... what was that thing written, by an 8 year old? Honestly, come up with something original).

Regardless of all that, I think your point is wrong prima fascia. Patriots fans aren't usually the ones arguing that thier team is the "best ever", despite what you see on your Broncos forum. Chances are Pats fans trolling a Broncos forum are just there to stir up ****. Most of the talk you complain about comes from the bobbleheads in the media, and the only reason they spout that nonsense about "best team ever" and "best coach ever" and blah blah blah is because it makes a good story and a good debate for people. Not to mention that it makes one of the top 3 television markets in the country (the northeast) tune in more. It's whta they do, th ey make bold claims and then defend and refute and argue them to get ratings. Otherwise they have nothing to talk about in the offseason or down weeks.

For years it's been the Colts and how great Peyton Manning is; the Packers and how strong and resilient Brett Favre is; the Broncos and how they have the best system for the running game in the history of football... ETC ETC. These stories come around every couple of years, and then they wear out until the next media darling comes along. If the Pats don't win the Super Bowl this year, it will be 3 years since our last Super Bowl win, and we'll be forgotten for the next team, guaranteed. I rarely hear much about them anymore anyways. It was at most a 2 year run of media coverage. The 2001 story was just "underdog wins". 2002 we lost, and were barely mentioned, except to say that we were like every other Super Bowl winner who had a crap season the following season. The only real story about the Pats was from '03 through '04. Oooo, two years when a team was dominant! And media hyperbole! For shame!
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2006
    I'd like to take a short recess from the current topic to remind everyone to GET YER PICKS IN!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited September 2006
    Three cheers for Frank.........

thanks, I had forgotten:o
  • ahorvitz
    ahorvitz Posts: 235
    edited September 2006
    At least bobman was able to see the joke in the Team and QB "of the Millenium" comments...

Have the Broncos had the Pats number lately? Yes.
    Are they the better team over the last 5 years? No.

As to the "Best Ever" statements, let's have a look at some of football's dynasties. Like it or not, the Pats make the list...
    1930's & 40's- Bears and Packers
    1950's- Browns and Colts
    1960's- Packers
    1970's- Steelers
    1980's- 49ers
    1990's- Cowboys
    2000's- Pats

I'm not ranking these teams, as it's impossible to compare teams from different eras. But please realize that bringing head-to-head records into a discussion that centers on championships is ludicrous.

This is not Pats fan whining. This is simply a counter to the overrated label that's been lobbed at football's only active dynasty.
    Main Rig
    Pioneer Elite SC-05, Rotel RMB-1075
    RT800i, CS400i, RT35i, FXi50, Klipsch RSW-12
    Pioneer Elite DV F-07, PS3, Wii
    Monster HTS 3500 MKII
    SC Analog 2, BJC Speaker Wire
    Samsung HL61A650

2nd Rig

Pioneer Elite VSX-56txi, Pioneer Elite DV-47a
    Cambridge Soundworks, MC150 (Center), MC100 x 4, Mirage LF-150

Office

Adcom GTP-400, Adcom GFA-535II, (need a quality CDP), RT55i
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2006
    Hey, Im just happy I beat the deadline for picks this week.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    Funny things is, only fans of one team "get" that their "jokes". Everyone else seems them as a symptom short sighted and arrogant fans that actually believe it.

You guys asked why no one else in the NFL likes your team and your comments showed the exact reason why many fans despise them.
  • ahorvitz
    edited September 2006
    I didn't ask IF, or why for that matter, no one likes my team...nor do I care.

It will be nice to be 3-0 after this weekend after "Jake the Mistake" ruins strong performances by Denver's running attack and defense.

Pats win an ugly one 17-13. Yes, I took Denver and the points in the pool.
    Main Rig
    Monster HTS 3500 MKII
    Samsung HL61A650

2nd Rig

Office

• Frank Z
    edited September 2006
    Good News!!

The Weekly Deadline has been changed to Sundays at Noon EST.

No more excuses!
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2006
    Nice, well done Frank.
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2006
    If you haven't noticed yet, I sent a blanket email to everyone thats playing this year. It's simply a reminder to make your picks for the week. If you guys want me too I'll send one out each week. I know some of you are quite old and have lost most of your short term memory...I'm here for ya though.:p
  • univera
    edited September 2006
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Gerald Riggs and Michael Haynes helped me win the first FFL league I was in. Those teams from the early 90's were so fun to watch. Them and Houston were awsome! Defense? Who needs it... Oh yeah, didn't ATL scor over 30 pts in 5 straight games and lose every one? Ah, the good old days...

Riggs was a little earlier than Haynes, I believe. Haynes was part of the Run and Shoot offense that has never won a Super Bowl. Gotta have a pounding runnnig game to win.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• univera
    edited September 2006
    Univera -- I think it's come full circle to your cable risers thread....

Too legit to quit -- wasn't that the Falcon's anthem courtesy of Neon Deion the year they were crushed by Washington in the playoffs ('91 or '92?)

No, that actually came from having M.C. Hammer (before he bankrupted himself) on the sidelines. Glanville used to leave a ticket for Elvis for each home game. By the way, Jamal Anderson was a badass. Too bad he blew out both knees. He was as fun as anyone I have ever watched run the ball.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• zombie boy 2000
    edited September 2006
    By D. Sanders, I mean his connection to Hammer. I believe he was even in the video -- you know, the one with James Brown that cost about 20 gazillion dollars to make.

Agreed on Jamal -- didn't he blow out his knee twice?
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    ahorvitz wrote:
    I didn't ask IF, or why for that matter, no one likes my team...nor do I care.

It will be nice to be 3-0 after this weekend after "Jake the Mistake" ruins strong performances by Denver's running attack and defense.

Pats win an ugly one 17-13. Yes, I took Denver and the points in the pool.

How'd that work out for ya?
  • ahorvitz
    edited September 2006
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    How'd that work out for ya?

Yeah, it didn't go so well last night. The Denver D looked great. We couldn't run the ball (Dillon going out certainly didn't help). We gave up big plays twice, and it wasn't Brady's best game.

Broncos now 5-1 against Brady? 6-1 against Belichek? You've clearly got our number. Hopefully, we can get you back in January.
    Main Rig
    Monster HTS 3500 MKII
    Samsung HL61A650

2nd Rig

Office

• bobman1235
    edited September 2006
    ahorvitz wrote:
    it wasn't Brady's best game.

Not Brady's best game?! A trained chimp looks better than he has the past three weeks. I d unno what's up with him, but he better fix it friggin soon.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    Both teams need to make it first....
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Not Brady's best game?! A trained chimp looks better than he has the past three weeks. I d unno what's up with him, but he better fix it friggin soon.

It's not Brady, it's BB's ego. he got lucky in the second superbowl with plugging some of the holes in the team so now he thinks he can just put anyone on the field and win because of his genious. Because of this, your awesomw 14-2 team of three years ago is barely a shadow of its former self talent wise. Brady, like Manning, is a GREAT QB with talent around him but he is not like those ultra rare QB's that can take a team with no talent and force them to the SB.

Denver is doing the same thing with RB's and D-Line. It just hasn't killed us yet.
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2006
    Get yor picks in boy's and girls!

I'll be announcing 1 of the 3 prizes this week.

You can win it,

if you don't get off yer lazy arse and make your picks!!
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2006
    Well I see that there are 12 people that failed to get their butt in gear and make their picks for this week, too bad really.

Why you ask?

Well it's simple, if you don't get your picks in on time your chances of winning 1 of 3 prizes is greatly.

Prizes? There are prizes?
    Well of course there are! haven't you been following the thread!

What are these prizes of which you speak oh Great Commissioner-O-Da-Pool?
    Since there seem to be a few slackers that need a bit of motivation...I'll tell you what the prize is for 1St place....

My very own Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram Generator.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited October 2006
    Well frank, I made every pick for the year without knowing the line. I think I'll see just how bad it gets without changing. Party on Wayne!
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2006
    Help me with this.....

so "weeks" are dropped, correct?

the two worst?
    the best and the worst?
    other scenario?
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2006
    Your 2 worst weeks are dropped...thats it.