2006-07 ClubPolk Football Pool

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2006
    Hey, I already made my picks for week 1. :p Just want to have fun with this. No idea what the spreads are going to be and so on. Don't really care either.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2006
    That's a good reminder for everyone, Demi - make ALL of your picks a long time in advance, and then change them if you want when it gets closer to the deadline. That way if you forget to set your picks one week, at least you have SOMETHING, it's better than zero.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    But the same can be said of most teams in the league - you lose your franchise QB, you're in trouble. That's an unnecessary caveat.

I would be lying if I said there wasn't a small part of me that would like to see Schaub in a couple of games -- a lot of Falcon fans wouldn't readily admit to it, but it's true.

Vick needs to take it to the next level this year, and pining over Finneran's not the way to start.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited August 2006
    I would be lying if I said there wasn't a small part of me that would like to see Schaub in a couple of games -- a lot of Falcon fans wouldn't readily admit to it, but it's true.

Vick needs to take it to the next level this year, and pining over Finneran's not the way to start.

Zombie, I was going to add my two cents on the Falcons and you were the last post. I'm a life long Falcons fan, but I have one leg and half a torso hanging off the Vick wagon. I think most Falcons fans would admit they like their chances with Schaub.

This year is it for him (Vick) as far as I am concerned. Throw a decent pass or start catching them. How 'bout returning kicks....Schaub is the real deal and could start for most teams. Several clubs inquired about him in the offseason, but the Falcons smartly kept him. I thought for sure he'd be gone. The guy broke all the ACC passing records (ain't exactly saying anything. SEC as you all know is the real deal, but I digress..)

Falcons picked up the Broncos Ashley Lelie by trading T.J. Duckett, so Warrick is the main man. Lelie is a good receiver. Can't be worse than Peerless was....

You can't stop Algae, you can only hope to contain him. Freak! Finneran was the great white hope on third down... Money in the bank. Pass rush should be awesome with my Gamecock John Abraham from the Jets now a Dirty Bird. Can't wait to watch on my 40"!:D
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited August 2006

Yup, and a lot of Denver fans wouldn't mind Plummer going down too much either.

Bobman: People said the same things about Bledsoe and Maddox at one time as well. I think their replacements did alright...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited August 2006
    ahorvitz wrote:
    Lol... Miami wins the East?
    They'll need to be 11-5, so let's look at the schedule.

Thu 9/7 at Pittsburgh 8:30 pm Loss
    Sun 9/17 Buffalo 1:00 pm Win
    Sun 9/24 Tennessee 1:00 pm Win
    Sun 10/1 at Houston 1:00 pm Win (doubt it, but for sake of arguement)
    Sun 10/8 at New England 1:00 pm Loss
    Sun 10/15 at NY Jets 4:15 pm Loss (but they'll beat the J-E-T-S at home)
    Sun 10/22 Green Bay 1:00 pm Win (maybe)
    bye
    Sun 11/5 at Chicago 1:00 pm Loss
    Sun 11/12 Kansas City 1:00 pm Loss
    Sun 11/19 Minnesota 1:00 pm Win
    Thu 11/23 at Detroit 12:30 pm Win (another gift W)
    Sun 12/3 Jacksonville 1:00 pm Loss
    Sun 12/10 New England 1:00 pm Loss (we always beat the fish in Dec)
    Sun 12/17 at Buffalo 1:00 pm Win
    Mon 12/25 NY Jets 8:30 pm Win
    Sun 12/31 at Indianapolis 1:00 pm Loss

Looks like 8-8 to me, with some gifts along the way. Will 8-8 win the division?

Whatever dude. It's really pointless to debate if the 'Fin's will win or lose a game before the season starts. But I do think they'll be 10-6 when it's all said in done. I also think the Pats will have a down year. I think Denver will be competitive, but I also believe KC will be 8-0 at home. If we can win 3 outta 8 on the road, we'll be 11-5 and could take the division.

We'll see. This is why I love football!!! :)
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• univera
    edited August 2006
    From Bobman: "Yeah, that's why I didn't play last year -- no interest when I'm not excited about my team. They said the same about this year, until they spanked the ever living hell out of the Falcons. All of a sudden people are saying they're the real deal. Well, I'll believe it when I see it. Would be a sweet exit for Favre if he could at least go out (maybe?) in style by making the playoffs.

I still live in the most historic state for football, and there is nothing like it in the NFL."

And the drunkest city in America. Check out my post! BTW, pre-season is just that. That doesn't mean squat. Farve, the ex-Falcon, is likely to force the ball in a real game situation to a member of the opposite team. He should have gone out and let the Packers start building a new era. I respect him, but he has sucked the past few years. He has really made some stupid throws, regardless of his lack of talent. Its easy to be awesome when you have great ex Gamecocks like Robert Brooks and Sterling around you.

Speaking of the '****, look out for my boy Sidney Rice. He is a stud and has put on 15 lbs over the offseason (Balco?) and is faster at his new weight. He is a first rounder already.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• bobman1235
    edited August 2006
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Bobman: People said the same things about Bledsoe and Maddox at one time as well. I think their replacements did alright...

Haha, touche my friend, touche.

Also, for those Falcolns fans out there... how have you guys not organized a cabal and shot Vick in the leg yet? Great athlete and all, but holy crap, what a drag. Just play r unning back and get it over with, you SUCK at QB.
  • univera
    edited August 2006
    I agree. I hear Clarett is available for hire. Seems his has plenty of weaponry. In fact, rumor has it that Lebanon called him for reinforcements.....

Imagine Vick running pass routes with that speed or returning kicks. Running back is a bad idea. He is too large a target and would get murdered (See every time he takes off running.)

He is now looking more and more like a Cordell Stewart. I'm pulling for Schaub even though Vick is/was the face of the NFL. In his defense, they are trying to make him a pocket passer in a West Coast offense when he has a cannon of an arm that can stretch any defense. He just needs to be accurate and the Falcons need to make up an offense for a freak like him. Its that round hole/square peg idea.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• zombie boy 2000
    edited August 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Also, for those Falcolns fans out there... how have you guys not organized a cabal and shot Vick in the leg yet? Great athlete and all, but holy crap, what a drag. Just play r unning back and get it over with, you SUCK at QB.

The "receiver" crutch has been set on repeat since they days of Chris Miller to Michael Haynes. Vick has got the arm and now he needs the timing. Loads of other teams work with a whole lot less talented targets.

As for the RB position, that had better not been a fluke year for Dunn. Duckett has a lot of potential.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited August 2006
    univera wrote:
    He just needs to be accurate and the Falcons need to make up an offense for a freak like him. Its that round hole/square peg idea.

We had the offense until the Great West Coast experiment. Two years later and it's running on fumes...
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited August 2006
    I'm in
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited August 2006
    I'm in the pool this year.

So, ladies, get stocked up on your Kleenex or, better yet, your cryin' towels.
    You're going to need them.
    Sal Palooza
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2006
    For those that are having problems registering...
    For some odd reason there's no "Commissioner Login" option available for me to make changes/corrections at this time. I've sent emails to Surrealistic and to to our former commisioner (Spasticpitbull...AKA - Pauly) in an attempt to get this resolved. As soon as I can gain access I'll make any changes necessary. Please be patient.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • univera
    edited August 2006
    The "receiver" crutch has been set on repeat since they days of Chris Miller to Michael Haynes. Vick has got the arm and now he needs the timing. Loads of other teams work with a whole lot less talented targets.

As for the RB position, that had better not been a fluke year for Dunn. Duckett has a lot of potential.

Where have you been? Dunn has been consistently putting up big number for many years. In Atlanta, he didn't even get 30 carries a game. Duckett is a bruiser, and younger, but I'd keep Dunn. He is so shifty and never takes a direct, straight on hit. Watch and see. Same thing they said about Emmit. He prolongs his career by not taking stupid hits.

Its hard to decide whether or not teams have figured Vick out or if it is running the West Coast offense that has slowed his flight. I heard it discussed the other day that Atlanta looked to be taking some plays from last year's Texas team since Vince Young was so successful and was a similar player. I really think Atlanta doesn't want Vick getting his head taken off. I miss the awesome runs. FREAK.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• bobman1235
    edited September 2006
    Lines for week 1 are up! Football season has BEGUN! :eek:

Make your picks, boys and girls.
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2006
    Thanks for the reminder.

For those of you that are waiting for me to make changes to your user name, passwords, etc.....I'm stuck!! I've emailed the company via the link on the home page asking for some help and haven't heard a thing back from them. I've even sent a PM to Spasticpitbull (our commsioner last year) and he couldn't help either. Hopefully my latest email to Surrealistic.com will get a response.
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2006
    Carlos,
    Please change your name on the football pool so that it's the same as your ClubPolk screen name. Send me a pm if you like and I'll take care of it for you.
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2006
    Finally got logged in as the commissioner. Let me know if any of you folks need changes made to your status or passwords.
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2006
    Okay folks I've made a couple changes. A few players signed up using a name other than their ClubPolk screen name. I've deleted those names and sent an email/pm to those affected asking them to re-register using their Clubpolk screen name.

Seems that the player names cannot be changed, just their paswords can be changed.

By using your Clubpolk screen name the trash talking can be directed toward the correct player ( ;) ), and we'll all know who we are competeing with.

Sorry for any inconvience this may cause.
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited September 2006
    I am confused about the time frame. I believe it said picks were due by Saturday. What about the game Thursday night? Is that a freebee, can I change after the game if I am wrong? Get your picks in by Thursday! Bad luck to all of you!
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2006
    You should probably make them by tonight just to be sure.

I doubt the one pick is going to make a difference over the course of the entire season ANYWAYS, but Im sure they're smart enough not to let you pick it after the game....
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2006
    You can pick your games up till Saturday night. Thursdays game cannot be changed after the fact....knuckle heads!:p
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2006
    Dont know if this has been mentioned already or not but I strongly advise everybody to make all their picks in advance.

I got shot out of the saddle last year because my stupid **** kept forgetting to make that weeks picks so I got a big goose egg for that week. Didnt take long til I was out of the running.

You can always go back and change them later but if you forget at least youll have something in there.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2006
    For those of you that have recently awoke from a coma...

Get your picks in for Week #1!

Just like the SuperBowl...You can't win it if ya ain't in it.

Good luck everyone!
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2006
    If anyone still needs help with the pool, please let me know ASAP so you can get your picks in for todays game.
  • MrNightly
    edited September 2006
    Frank Z wrote:
    If anyone still needs help with the pool, please let me know ASAP so you can get your picks in for todays game.

Franky, can you pick mine for me? ;)
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Frank Z
    edited September 2006
    Oh yes I'd love to!
  • MrNightly
    edited September 2006
    Frank Z wrote:
    Oh yes I'd love to!

If only you could get so lucky :D Muhahahaha.. prepare to die! Or at least eat your lunch out of a lunch box from now on.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited September 2006
    lets go stillers,

As long as Tommy maddox isn't playing, the steelers will easily take down the dolphins. I know maddox doesn't play for pittsburgh anymore but...

Charlie Batch carried the team when Ben was hurt last year, he'll do just as good this year(as long as he doesn't get hurt;)... sound of knocking on wood.... ).

Pit 31-14.
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27