What do you do for a living?

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    I have 3 jobs.

I'm a huge nerd doing sys admin stuff for a major defense contractor. In the short of it, I build ships. Ships with guns and missles that the navy and coast guard use to protect the free world and it's interests the world over. It's satisfying because the work I do has a direct impact on this country and so few people actually know about it.

Job number 2 is a part time job doing diesel mechanics. I picked it up through a friend who manages a shop. I help out when he's flooded with work and needs a hand so it's an as-needed basis. It gets to be steady work in the winter and summer when weather is at extremes. I've done everything from simple oil and tire changes to resleeving engine blocks. It's fun because when I'm there, I essentially get to play with gigantic Tonka trucks all day! Everything from trash trucks and dump trucks to heavy equipment!

Job number 3 is working at another friend's shop. I spent so much time there helping him put together drag cars that he put me on his payroll and I work some nights when he is staying late and some Saturdays when he has a large project like an engine replacement to do. I do the quick light work like oil changes, tire changes and brake jobs so he can concentrate on the big jobs and get them turned around fast and right the first time. I still get to work on the race cars too! It's a good feeling when you roll up to the track with your buddies, roll out your car and click off the fastest run of the day on your first qualifier and then proceed to walk away with the trophy 'cause no one else can catch you. We get more business from that than any other activity. That and it's cool as hell when you can tell people you build 6 second door slammers for a living!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    Hmmm... When I watched the movie, it clearly stated that June Carter wrote that song..

You don't think that the studio took a little literary license do you?

http://www.billyeddwheeler.com/songs.htm
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited February 2007
    True enough... And I was just thinking.. I think that may of been "Walk the Line." Im gonna watch the movie again and try to catch it.. I would hope that most everything on it would be factual.. Who knows..
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    Walk the Line was actually written for his first wife. Ring of Fire was written in reference to his affair with June.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Jstas
    edited February 2007
    From Wikipedia:

Jackson (song)

"Jackson" is a song written by Jerry Leiber and Billy Edd Wheeler about a married couple who find that the "fire" has gone out of their relationship. The song relates the desire of the husband and wife to travel to Jackson, where they each look forward to a new life free of the unhappy relationship.

Johnny Cash and June Carter won a Grammy Award in 1967 for their recording of the song. The song was performed by Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon (playing Johnny Cash and June Carter) in the 2005 film Walk the Line.

Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood also recorded a version of the song that charted at #14 in 1967.

Hopefully that settles it because you guys are hijacking this thread with a totally unrelated topic..

• shack
    edited February 2007
    Carter co-wrote the song "Ring of Fire" with Merle Kilgore (which Johnny was supposedly June's inspiration for the song). Maybe that is what you were thinking of.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    Yeppers Shack (thanks again)
    ... so so so so so sorry Jstas. Please go on about any one of your twenty-three jobs;)
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Jstas
    edited February 2007
    ... so so so so so sorry Jstas. Please go on about any one of your twenty-three jobs;)

That was uncalled for.

• shack
    edited February 2007

Hijacking a thread is RUDE. I'll pass this on the the moderator in order to implement the penalty. (note I'm callin' this one on myself as well - I'll pay the fine - no attorneys involved)

• zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    No offense meant... hence the winking guy:) (smiley guy)
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    shack wrote:
    Hijacking a thread is RUDE. I'll pass this on the the moderator in order to implement the penalty. (note I'm callin' this one on myself as well - I'll pay the fine - no attorneys involved)

Fair enough... you're right. My apologies to those participating in this thread. I just figured one that was going on eight pages and nearly a year (if I'm not mistaken) had enough legs to survive a mild hijack.

Again apologies all around.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    shack wrote:
    Probably neither. The lyrics to the song were written by Billy Edd Wheeler who wrote the song in New York City, and it is based on the play "Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf". Cash had nothing to do with the song other than to sing it with June. They were not the first to sing it. It was first recorded by the Kingston Trio in 1963, Flat and Scruggs in 1965. Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood recorded it and released it on an album at about the same time in 1967 as the Cashs and that version actually gained more popularity then on the pop charts. In the long run the Cash version became the more recognized.

Steve, I need to tap into your music brain and download some knowledge.!!! How the heck did you know that, I know you just didn't google it.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited February 2007
    Some of the most interesting products to Polk Forum my company has to offer:

http://www.rohde-schwarz.com/www/dev_center.nsf/audio-configurations?Openpage

I will have to see if I can get my hands on some of these (UPV & UP350) from our demo pool. Would be fun! :)
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited February 2007
    Went to a meeting this morning about upcoming "reorganization" at my department of the CA Public Utilities Commission....basically playing musical cubicles. So I will pass on my duty to my cubicle neighbor as the sole handler of $400 million worth of public subsidy. I don't actually know what I will be doing....all this government-speak about "retraining" and "diversifying one's job skills". I guess more pencil-shuffling and bean-counting.
  • jkn
    jkn Posts: 133
    edited February 2007
    IT guy - more on the data side of the fence than hardware or O/S stuff. For the last 8 years admin/programming an ERP system few have heard of (Epicor Dataflo) on a database few have heard of (IBM Universe). Before that I was implementing a call taking system and writing a lot of SQL on Oracle and DB2. Before that I worked part time at a music store selling synths and guitars. I've also taught piano for 6 years before 'retiring' - and played gigs in a lot of dive bars, clubs, and college parties.

Oh, and I sit two cubes away from McLoki.
  • pblanc
    pblanc Posts: 261
    edited February 2007
    Jstas wrote:
    I have 3 jobs.

I'm a huge nerd doing sys admin stuff for a major defense contractor. In the short of it, I build ships. Ships with guns and missles that the navy and coast guard use to protect the free world and it's interests the world over. It's satisfying because the work I do has a direct impact on this country and so few people actually know about it.

Job number 2 is a part time job doing diesel mechanics. I picked it up through a friend who manages a shop. I help out when he's flooded with work and needs a hand so it's an as-needed basis. It gets to be steady work in the winter and summer when weather is at extremes. I've done everything from simple oil and tire changes to resleeving engine blocks. It's fun because when I'm there, I essentially get to play with gigantic Tonka trucks all day! Everything from trash trucks and dump trucks to heavy equipment!

Job number 3 is working at another friend's shop. I spent so much time there helping him put together drag cars that he put me on his payroll and I work some nights when he is staying late and some Saturdays when he has a large project like an engine replacement to do. I do the quick light work like oil changes, tire changes and brake jobs so he can concentrate on the big jobs and get them turned around fast and right the first time. I still get to work on the race cars too! It's a good feeling when you roll up to the track with your buddies, roll out your car and click off the fastest run of the day on your first qualifier and then proceed to walk away with the trophy 'cause no one else can catch you. We get more business from that than any other activity. That and it's cool as hell when you can tell people you build 6 second door slammers for a living![/QUOTE

That's really neat! When I was a kid, 3 of my favorite things were to play with toy boats in the bathtub, play with Tonka trucks in the sandbox, and take things apart and try to put them back together. You actually make a living doing all three!! And I thought firemen were cool.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    Man,when do you have time to take a crap or listen to your rig?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited February 2007
    Operations manager of a small IAQC (Indoor Air Quality Control) company. We do everything from duct cleaning to building clean rooms fo labs. We also keep a large stock of replacment parts. Shipping to DE., NJ., PA & MD.
    I started here when I was 14 sweeping the floors and have done EVERY job we have at one time or another so I have become the problem solver. If a job gose bad...send mike. If a machine breaks...tell mike. I have even put the new bathrooms in the office when we needed more due to more office staff.

The money is good, so I don't say anything to them. What are you gonna do?
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • atrustsd
    atrustsd Posts: 27
    edited February 2007
    I am a chiropractor in San Diego. Back at you.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    atrustsd wrote:
    I am a chiropractor in San Diego. Back at you.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA no pun intended???
  • dougr
    dougr Posts: 124
    edited February 2007
    aero engineer for NASA... and please, no diaper jokes.
    edited February 2007
    I am in Quality Assurance as an Aircraft inspector
    UH 60 Blackhawks
    AC 130 Gunships
    C 130 Talons
    Also Retired from U.S. Army
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Defiant wrote:
    I am in Quality Assurance as an Aircraft inspector
    UH 60 Blackhawks
    AC 130 Gunships
    C 130 Talons

Very nice big toys.
  • Huck344
    Huck344 Posts: 453
    edited February 2007
    I own a small international trading company that specializes in buying and selling equipment for power plants and oil refineries. I mainly deal with Japanese steam turbines installed here in the US and Canada.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2007
    I do absolutely nothing all day.

Mike
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited February 2007
    Loan Officer for a Mortgage Company...Lot's of job-hopping in this industry. No company OR employee loyalty.:rolleyes: Gotta go where the money is most:D
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,549
    edited February 2007
    Student... still.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    Joey_V wrote:
    Student... still.

Don't believe him. He's a profesional Gigalo. Last girl got him the Summits
    this girl gets him a Cary SLP 05.....
    I think he's holding out for a house in Malibu if you ask me.....:D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    dougr wrote:
    aero engineer for NASA... and please, no diaper jokes.

So are you guys going to send a crew to Mars before I die? I'm 49, would love to see that happen. I still remember watching The One Small Step For Man, One Giant Leap For Mankind.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited February 2007
    I'm an Independent Sales Agent for several transportation and logistics companies offering value-added, multi-tier solutions to corporate America. A couple of my clients happen to be SVS and Velodyne so I get to talk to some of the folks in the audio industry from time to time, which is fun. I did approach Polk, but their logistics guy never called me back...wazzup w/dat :p

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE