What do you do for a living?

Comments

• cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited June 2006
    Interesting thread...

I'm finishing up a graduate degree studying how to use computers in public schools. Before that, I was a web master for a major computer company, and before that, a public school teacher.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2006
    Well howdy insurance neighbor!:D Are you an Underwriter or a CSR?

Willow wrote:
    Shoot. I work in New Business but for Sunlife in Canada.:eek:
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited June 2006
    Chiropractor at Evans army community hospital, Fort Carson
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited June 2006
    Skynut wrote:
    Maintenance manager of a can manufacturing facility.
    We make General Foods International Coffee tins. The little rectangular speciality coffees that are over $4.00 per can.

Love those Tins,Use the empty's for all sorts of junk!!:D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited June 2006
    I'm a senior network (LAN) administrator for a multi-national electronics manufacturer. The MFG plant in this division is not that large though, so I am actually responsible for anything that plugs in. (to the wall you perverts... :) )

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited June 2006
    cfrizz wrote:

Neither, I don't underwrite, but we do take calls from advisors only. So it's not a typical CSR type job. If that makes sense. We work on the cases and tie up any ends. Leave the actual UW to the UWERs everything and anything else....that's me.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2006
    Actuarial Analyst for an insurance company.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2006
    tryrrthg wrote:
    Actuarial Analyst for an insurance company.
    Ah-ha. Now there's another math-intensive career I've considered. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to hear a bit about what it is you do, what you had to do to get there (classes and such), and how you like it, though perhaps in a PM so as not to hijack the thread too much.

Thanks!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited June 2006
    Currently Marketing Manager for a leading export rep., but studying to be a **** mogul.
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited June 2006
    tonyb wrote:
    Love those Tins,Use the empty's for all sorts of junk!!:D

My garage has lots of these little suckers in it.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited June 2006
    F/T landscaper
    p/t bar tender
    p/t go cart track attendent
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited June 2006
    krabby5 wrote:
    I notice no one else stated that they really don't like what they do...Sometimes I wonder if there are any jobs I would TRULLY like getting up for in the morning

Good point! I'm a senior technical lead and IT manager for a $600 mil utility metering company. I used to be a Mediterranean fine dining chef, and really enjoyed it a lot more (my feet would say otherwise...).

Do I like what I do? Eh, its Ok but it pays the bills a lot better than chef'ing. There's something to be said for having a tangible item at the end of the day. If I spend all day writing a script that automates Windows installations around the world, its still not something I can hold in my hand. Or more imporantly, I can't eat it! ;) I think there was better camaraderie in a kitchen, too.

I was the chef at a nice brew pub many years back, would also love to brew beer.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2006
    I love what I do, but there are also other things I would love to do that I know wouldn't pay well enough to support much of a lifestyle. It's awesome for anyone who can turn their hobby into their career.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited June 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    Wow. I bet you have a pretty good feeling about job security, eh? :D

Late response to audiobliss....unfortunately, I may be forced to find another job due to lack of career advancement opportunities, and perhaps more importantly, conflicting political/corporate agenda from the very top. I am just a lowly analyst and I don't need giant telecommunication companies and their political allies within this government agency forcing me to do things I am not comfortable with.
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited June 2006
    I work on dredging, shore erosion, beach nourishment, public access, and other waterways related issues and infrastructure for a town on Cape Cod
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited June 2006
    oh yeah, I am also starting to install home audio/video systems. Got my first job yesterday. weekend job that will hopefully work out. It would be nice to work for myself.
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited June 2006
    Attorney(criminal prosecution, estate planning, investments, taxation). J.D., University of Michigan; undergraduate degree, B.S. in Chemistry.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited June 2006
    Two weeks retired from a 31 year career in a large franchise restaurant chain. No real plans for my next venture, but hangin' around the house all day has already worn thin...........:D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2006
    hangin' around the house all day has already worn thin...........:D
    LOL! :p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2006
    Two weeks retired from a 31 year career in a large franchise restaurant chain. No real plans for my next venture, but hangin' around the house all day has already worn thin...........:D

That makes me think about a co-worker who retired just last week working 38.5 yrs. I worked with him for the past 8 yrs myself, wishing him and you a nice retirement.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2006
    I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to!
  • hiflyer555
    hiflyer555 Posts: 5
    edited June 2006
    airline pilot...so i fly airplanes with people in them...and land them after i'm done...kay, bye
    "These go to 11." ~ Nigel Tufnel
  • del44
    del44 Posts: 686
    edited June 2006
    I build and remodel houses.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited June 2006
    Currently, a rural parochial 6-8th grade teacher (English, Literature, Social Studies, tech coordinator). Moving on to another parochial school next year to teach computers. No greater job than being able to have a positive influence on the future.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • mesquitehead
    mesquitehead Posts: 312
    edited June 2006
    I am in international sales for Rupert Neve Designs..."The Man" of all things audio and inventor of of the mixing console... www.rupertneve.com . And I own an A/C and heating company (selling it soon). I also dabble in managing a few local bands and doing booking.
    "Thats great... but how does it sound"
    http://www.burginmcdaniel.com/

http://mixonline.com/gear/reviews/audio_burgin_mcdaniel_komit/

Yamaha RX-A820 (networked with wireless bridge), Carver M-1.0t, Carver TFM-35, Carver C-1, Polk SDA1c's (x2 pair), Polk RTA 8tl's, Polk RTA 11tl's, Polk Monitor 5, Polk CS 400, Polk PSW 650, Rega Planar 3, Sony DVPNC555ES SACD/DVD, Panny 65" Plasma, Roku

2007 Tundra 5.7 TRD DC
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Polk SR6500
    SI BM 12" subs
    Zed Gladius
    Zed Deuce
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    schwarcw wrote:
    I was educated as a chemical engineer, University of Pittsburgh (1976). I've worked at Westinghouse since 1977. Mostly in nuclear power generation. The last 10 years or so I've been in project management. My job is all about people and money. Not as much fun as making neutrons fly:D

Carl

AAAAHHHHHAAAAA I was right!!!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited February 2007
    Hey Cathy,

Well I'm now a Quality development Analyst still for the same insurance company. Basically what I do is go over the New Business files and make sure the work is done correctly. As well as part time trainer for any one new coming aboard the new business,(which is underwriting and issue)
    cfrizz wrote:
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    Unwillingly Retired: Help Desk Architecture & Management Consultant, which means that for 30 years I came home from work everyday had a nervous breakdown :eek: and drank heavily :eek: :D :rolleyes: woke up the next day and did it again.::mad: LOL

Now I enjoy my life, my wife, and the world as it is. :)

:D
  • TheReaper
    TheReaper Posts: 636
    edited February 2007
    For the past 23 years I have been a programmer/analyst consultant to a computer software and manufacturing company.
    Win7 Media Center -> Onkyo TXSR702 -> Polk Rti70
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    For the past 11years I have worked as a QC Technician for an electronics manufacturer.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing