What do you do for a living?

Comments

• criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited June 2006
    Regional Sales Manager for Major Pharmacuetical CO. with offices in Miami Lakes and NJ.

CRJ
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited June 2006
    I'm an autobody tech. (total dead end profession) for the last 18yrs and have a after hour decorative concrete business (landscape curbing, colored and stamped concrete). Here is a pic of my work.

Dave
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited June 2006
    Manufacturing Engineer for the Major agriculture equipment products company. Also owner/operator of a small pine tree plantation.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    Sounds a lot like Snap-On Tools. My dad's been with Snap-On for 32 years now, as a dealer most of the time, and a field-manager for 3 years earlier on. Neat stuff y'all design/fabricate. How much 'engineering' goes into designing something to a customer's requests and then producing the actual piece?

Depends on the product. I'm not an engineer, so I can't tell you what's all involved, but they get the job done every time.

It just involves the customer/distributor calling us up and giving us their specs. We usually run them through all of the usual questions:

Raised Height
    Lowered Height
    How much travel, etc.
    Casters? Floor Mounted? Pit Mounted?
    Manual or Powered? Hydraulic, Pneumatic, Electric.
    Deck size?
    Tooling options, etc.

The list is pretty much endless as you can do just about anything. After we have all of that info we get them a drawing and a quote and hopefully they sign off on it and place an order.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited June 2006
    My (nick)name is Winston Wolf. I fix things.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited June 2006
    I thought it was Roger Rabbit!!:p :D:D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Drumingman
    Drumingman Posts: 348
    edited June 2006
    HTrookie wrote:
    I work for Procter & Gamble in the Planning/Logistics area; basically I try to make sure that work processes and systems (SAP) get along ( note I said "try").
    I am a Mechanical Engineer and love fixing anything that's broken (though sometimes I brake things that didn't need fixing):rolleyes:

Hey, Isn't P&G that company with the employees that are Devil Worshippers?:eek:
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited June 2006
    My wife & I both work for the Government, Department of Defense. My wife is a budget analyst and I'm the stock record officer of the units mission equipment support facility (logistics).

I'm prior military (15 years Army) as well.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2006
    My (nick)name is Winston Wolf. I fix things.

OK, Winston Wolf....

I'm also known as Wonder Steve... Or Mr. FIX IT :p

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited June 2006
    job planner for a large multi-million dollar manufacturing plant. fun, fun...:(

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2006
    For 20 years I've designed electronic circuits for metering devices, logging and communications devices. Next I plan on selling propane and propane accessories.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • mrmusicman
    mrmusicman Posts: 303
    edited June 2006
    Operating Engineers Local Union #3:cool:
    Outlaw 990 Processor
    Outlaw 755 Amp
    Denon 2900 dvd-sacd
    Dishnetwork HD-Dvr
    55" Sony LCD RPTV
    Lsi 9-fronts
    Lsic-center
    Rt55i- surrounds
    Velodyne cht-10 sub

2007 Dodge Quad cab
    Kenwood Excelon KDC-X891
    JL Audio 300/V2
    Polk Audio SR 6500 - Fronts
    Polk Audio DB651 - Rear
    2 -10" Treo Subs
    Interfire IB 2600C sub amp
    Sirius Sat radio
    Ipod connection
  • Kris Siegel
    Kris Siegel Posts: 309
    edited June 2006
    <--- See Title :)
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited June 2006
    Schooled as an Elementary Teacher, but I'm a Hotel Manager. Which has been great for a guy like me with no attention span - job starts getting boring - just pick a new department and start learning all over again... Except that I have run out of departments now...
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited June 2006
    I'm a chemist for a very large pharmaceutical company. Our location is the largest narcotics producer in the world, and I get to test the raw materials and finished products! We have police officers throughout the building, per DEA regulations, due to us manufacturing narcotics. It's hilarious; A few weeks ago I was walking through the building with a box full of pharmaceutical grade cocaine (uncut) and the cops just smiled and said, "Hi Christian!". I smiled and kept on walking :D
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2006
    Now take that same said box & try walking out the door to your car with it & see how far you get!:eek: :D:p

Mazeroth wrote:
    I'm a chemist for a very large pharmaceutical company. Our location is the largest narcotics producer in the world, and I get to test the raw materials and finished products! We have police officers throughout the building, per DEA regulations, due to us manufacturing narcotics. It's hilarious; A few weeks ago I was walking through the building with a box full of pharmaceutical grade cocaine (uncut) and the cops just smiled and said, "Hi Christian!". I smiled and kept on walking :D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2006
    I handle all sorts of trash.

RT1
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited June 2006
    cfrizz wrote:
    MetLife Insurance Co. associate. Life New Business CSR

Shoot. I work in New Business but for Sunlife in Canada.:eek:
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2006
    I work as a supply chain and manufacturing consultant. Basically, its like the Bob's but we use math.

Demi, send me some of your business info and I'll try to throw some work your way. I'm guessing that I already have, but Ill try to send more.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited June 2006
    I work for Pfizer in the computer dept
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited June 2006
    Director of Client Clinical Operations, Caremark
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited June 2006
    I'm a sports reporter for a small-town paper.
    The pay is bunk and the industry is nearly dead, but the work is fun and relatively stress-free.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited June 2006
    Just recently started as a Software Engineer for Rohde & Schwarz. Currently working on digital video broadcasting system. Before that 10 years with Nokia as a Research and Development Engineer (Software). Although I do it for the money I can honestly say I enjoy going to work.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited June 2006
    Sami wrote:
    Although I do it for the money I can honestly say I enjoy going to work.

That's all that matters. A person that enjoys what they do for a living will never work a day in their life.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited June 2006
    I'm an Assistant Project Manager for an electrical contractor.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • pmckeealaska
    pmckeealaska Posts: 808
    edited June 2006
    I'm an ecologist for the U.S. Forest Service. Great job!
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
    NAD T763 Reciever
    Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
    Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
    Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
    Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited June 2006
    Maintenance manager of a can manufacturing facility.
    We make General Foods International Coffee tins. The little rectangular speciality coffees that are over $4.00 per can.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited June 2006
    professional poker player..

oh...the question is what do I do for a living, not what do I WISH I did for a living..

accountant...hate it...

I notice no one else stated that they really don't like what they do...Sometimes I wonder if there are any jobs I would TRULLY like getting up for in the morning
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2006
    I have been a wireless telecom engineer since 1992. Spectrum planning through cell site design is where my heart is but I have done MSC engineering, transport and facility engineering(AC and Power). The industry is in my blood and love every minute of it.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Maurice
    Maurice Posts: 517
    edited June 2006
    I'm a real estate investor and do some consulting (forming corporations for new and existing small business) on the side. Never really been the 9-5 type of guy.:cool:
    Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's