What do you do for a living?

Comments

• kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited February 2007
    Actuary for a property & casualty insurance company.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited February 2007
    I get to be the pastor of a wonderful group of people in Spokane, WA.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited February 2007
    General Manager of a furniture store. Not one of your more exciting but pays the bills.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    I get to be the pastor of a wonderful group of people in Spokane, WA.
    I admire what you do, unselfishness personified. A couple of years ago I was considering going your route but the Bible study was too intense for this scattered mind of mine so I study that wonderful and beautiful Book casually.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    daboyz wrote:
    General Manager of a furniture store. Not one of your more exciting but pays the bills.
    Man I wish you were local to Delaware we have to furnish our entire new home.
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited February 2007
    I am a partner in a construction company specializing in commercial pool construction. Water parks, competition pools, elaborate fountains. I guess you could say if there's water we're in it!:cool: :D
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • starchaser
    starchaser Posts: 354
    edited February 2007
    I deal with shipping all kinds of trash
    "There's a lot of places driving up and down I-95 that smell like ****" F1Nut
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited February 2007
    I admire what you do, unselfishness personified. A couple of years ago I was considering going your route but the Bible study was too intense for this scattered mind of mine so I study that wonderful and beautiful Book casually.

Thanks. I'm just doing what you're no doubt doing as well: everything we can to walk with the Lord and make as much of a difference for Him as possible! God bless you & thanks for your comments!:D
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    BAD ASP wrote:
    I am a partner in a construction company specializing in commercial pool construction. Water parks, competition pools, elaborate fountains. I guess you could say if there's water we're in it!:cool: :D
    I liked your post in the other thread about our service men and women. There are a few on this forum that I'm sure appreciate youi love for them.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited February 2007
    Did I ever mention that I was retired? As in 'don't have to do **** if I don't want to?' :cool:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Sansui
    Sansui Posts: 372
    edited February 2007
    Thanks Bro. One more question, how to keep the motion detectors from going off, I have an 80lb dog?

You'll need a motion detector that has "pet alley" capabilities. These will be ones that use PIR technology. There are two types of patterns, "finger" + "curtain".

The "curtain" type of pattern is like a privacy curtain at a hospital. In this case, if you pushed the curtain with your hand would move it. With a curtain PIR if you "push" the curtain it will trip into alarm. It's "sensing field" comes out from the PIR unit straight down to the floor and straight across the top of the unit for about 35' (usually for smaller units) if the field isn't block by a solid object.

Visualize in your mind an (invisible) rectangle. Let's say your dog's tail (when it's walking) is 3' 11" high. If you were to mount that unit upside down or on it's side at, let's say, 4' from the floor then when your dog walked around, it's tail wouldn't "push the curtain". Mounting a unit like this, of course, one would have to make sure it isn't "looking" at a flight of steps.;)

The "five finger" (or "finger") pattern would work also but I'd much rather use a curtain pattern personally. The detectors that are out today usually have a capability so that the installer can change a finger pattern into an curtain pattern.

A motion that uses either ultrasonic or microwave technology will NOT work with pets! There's no way to control/limit it's pattern.

I've heard of motions that have a setting if pets will be in an area but I don't know how well they really work. Personally, I'd stay away from them. A system with a false alarm problem is like having no system at all, IMHO.

There are two types of these detectors too. They're "duo-tech" motions. They're ones that use PIR and microwave (or ultrasonic) technologies to trip the detector into full alarm. Both technologies have to see movement in their "viewing" fields before the detector trips into alarm. These could work too (because of the PIR pattern + how it's mounted (explained above)).
    Be gentle, I'm new to all this...

The mind blowing speed of the BRAIN TRAIN...
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited February 2007
    Im a Bartender.... Nothing glorious at all, but I LOVE my job.. And to me, that is all that matters..
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    dragon1952 wrote:
    Did I ever mention that I was retired? As in 'don't have to do **** if I don't want to?' :cool:

Don't make me beat you with a stick!!:D

Am sooo looking forward to the day bro!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikesd
    mikesd Posts: 43
    edited February 2007

"See Mike it's the attitude Brother. I'm a "newer" member here and I take umbridge to your condescention (sp) here. That **** clown is just that. It is not because he has a difference of opinion, it is the way he comes in with his attitude and acting like a major jerkoff that turned me off to him. Now you want to throw yourself in and insult the "veteran members." This forum contains the most helpful group of maniacs that you will ever encounter, too bad you chose be a dickhead too."

"Yeah Troy, that idiotic, smacked **** . . .LOL I don't need to go any further."

"Welcome to Club Polk, you and your useless 31 posts. We don't need to "offer [anthing] to countersway the facts," we just let you keep writing and we keep laughing. Nothing is going to countersway your pinkish red ****. Why don't you join your friend in Iran who keeps spouting the same horsepooop that you do. Just make sure you grow a beard and wear a coofee (sp) or else you'll be beheaded."

"Are you speaking of the actions you provoked? You are still insulting except this time you doing it through an extended hand and a smile. Blow it out your **** and get lost while you are doing it".

"Imperialistic your ****!"

On a parting note Brother, This dickhead is a Southern Baptist whose only son is an ordained Southern Baptist Minister. This does not make me any better or any worse than anyone else, its just that I do not believe in treating other people this way, whether they have the same beliefs as mine or not.

Have a great life and may God Bless.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited February 2007
    Was a Public School music teacher for 15yrs (choir, band, music appreciation). Now I am a part time Jazz Educator at a Catholic School in the area as well as one of the community colleges.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    mikesd wrote:
    "See Mike it's the attitude Brother. I'm a "newer" member here and I take umbridge to your condescention (sp) here. That **** clown is just that. It is not because he has a difference of opinion, it is the way he comes in with his attitude and acting like a major jerkoff that turned me off to him. Now you want to throw yourself in and insult the "veteran members." This forum contains the most helpful group of maniacs that you will ever encounter, too bad you chose be a dickhead too."

"Yeah Troy, that idiotic, smacked **** . . .LOL I don't need to go any further."

"Welcome to Club Polk, you and your useless 31 posts. We don't need to "offer [anthing] to countersway the facts," we just let you keep writing and we keep laughing. Nothing is going to countersway your pinkish red ****. Why don't you join your friend in Iran who keeps spouting the same horsepooop that you do. Just make sure you grow a beard and wear a coofee (sp) or else you'll be beheaded."

"Are you speaking of the actions you provoked? You are still insulting except this time you doing it through an extended hand and a smile. Blow it out your **** and get lost while you are doing it".

"Imperialistic your ****!"

On a parting note Brother, This dickhead is a Southern Baptist whose only son is an ordained Southern Baptist Minister. This does not make me any better or any worse than anyone else, its just that I do not believe in treating other people this way, whether they have the same beliefs as mine or not.

Have a great life and may God Bless.

Jesus Christ was at war with the Pharisees & Sadducees(sp) he told them the truth about themselves, he called them vipers and hypocrites. He said love your neighbors. He said nothing about having to like them or put up with rediculous or provocative behaviour. I'm telling the truth about that creep, you put yourself in the same boat with him and did it in a condecending and insulting manner. .. .I didn't like it and I told you so. So don't try and make me out to be a hypocrite, I stand by what I said and I stand by what I believe. You should speak to your son more often.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Sansui wrote:
    You'll need a motion detector that has "pet alley" capabilities. These will be ones that use PIR technology. There are two types of patterns, "finger" + "curtain".

The "curtain" type of pattern is like a privacy curtain at a hospital. In this case, if you pushed the curtain with your hand would move it. With a curtain PIR if you "push" the curtain it will trip into alarm. It's "sensing field" comes out from the PIR unit straight down to the floor and straight across the top of the unit for about 35' (usually for smaller units) if the field isn't block by a solid object.

Visualize in your mind an (invisible) rectangle. Let's say your dog's tail (when it's walking) is 3' 11" high. If you were to mount that unit upside down or on it's side at, let's say, 4' from the floor then when your dog walked around, it's tail wouldn't "push the curtain". Mounting a unit like this, of course, one would have to make sure it isn't "looking" at a flight of steps.;)

The "five finger" (or "finger") pattern would work also but I'd much rather use a curtain pattern personally. The detectors that are out today usually have a capability so that the installer can change a finger pattern into an curtain pattern.

A motion that uses either ultrasonic or microwave technology will NOT work with pets! There's no way to control/limit it's pattern.

I've heard of motions that have a setting if pets will be in an area but I don't know how well they really work. Personally, I'd stay away from them. A system with a false alarm problem is like having no system at all, IMHO.

There are two types of these detectors too. They're "duo-tech" motions. They're ones that use PIR and microwave (or ultrasonic) technologies to trip the detector into full alarm. Both technologies have to see movement in their "viewing" fields before the detector trips into alarm. These could work too (because of the PIR pattern + how it's mounted (explained above)).

Thanks Bro, one last question, what company do YOU trust?
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    Sansui wrote:
    Mounting a unit like this, of course, one would have to make sure it isn't "looking" at a flight of steps.;)

That's when scotch tape comes in handy ;)

Also never good to have above technologies facing a wall that is outside. Unless you need to detect mail man and or neighbors.

A system with a false alarm problem is like having no system at all, IMHO.

How true.
    There are two types of these detectors too. They're "duo-tech" motions. They're ones that use PIR and microwave (or ultrasonic) technologies to trip the detector into full alarm.

The best detector made today IMHO These are built for pet immune capabilities also.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2007
    Mikesd: Please calm down or leave. No one here needs an internet stalker and thjat's exactly what you're doing to HI.

As for job: I work as an engineering and business consultant.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2007
    Im a Bartender....

I love you, man.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    steveinaz wrote:
    I love you, man.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAA Do you remember that commercial?:D
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2007
    oh yeah.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • cnjvh
    cnjvh Posts: 253
    edited February 2007
    I'm a system test engineer for a company that makes wireless high definition extenders (1 transmitter to 8 receivers over 80211a). I test the systems for compatibility with the latest HD gear on the market (currently playing with the HD-A1, HD-A2, HD-Xa1, HD-Xa2, BDP-1000, whataver the sony blu-ray player is, i can't remember), and HD flat panels and projectors to numerous to list here. Also have to test the latest A/V receivers for compatibility with our receivers - have a Denon 3806, Yamaha something or other, and a Pioneer VSX 1016.

I hope you feel my pain...
    No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!

--Stuff--
    Front: Polk Audio RTi12
    Center: Polk Audio CSi5
    Surrounds: Polk Audio RTi8 (x4)
    Sub: SVS PB10-ISD (Dual)
    AVR: Denon AVR-3805
    Blu-Ray: Panasonic BD30
    Display: Sony KDL-55NX720B
    STB: Xfinity X1DVR
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2007
    Aerospace Mechanic for Honeywell Aircraft Landing Systems, 15th year.
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    edited February 2007
    steveinaz wrote:
    I love you, man.

Just doing my duty!! :cool: You come down/up/over to my bar, and that night is on me.. Buffalo Wild Wings Jackson, Tn..
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    Ten... maybe you can answer this question for me and my wife (though a bit off topic...)

Is Jackson by Johnny Cash about Jackson, TN or Jackson, Mississippi?
    We've had this debate for over a year and both have agreed not to google it...
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    edited February 2007
    That is very funny that you would mention that.. I just not three days ago watched the movie, Walk The Line, and I was speaking with my father about just that question.. According to him, it is Jackson, TN... Other than that, I dont know, but I would think my dad would have a good idea(huge Johnny Cash fan!).. That however is no 100% answer because (I, ME) have no clue..
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    Ten... maybe you can answer this question for me and my wife (though a bit off topic...)

Is Jackson by Johnny Cash about Jackson, TN or Jackson, Mississippi?
    We've had this debate for over a year and both have agreed not to google it...
    Probably neither. The lyrics to the song were written by Billy Edd Wheeler who wrote the song in New York City, and it is based on the play "Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf". Cash had nothing to do with the song other than to sing it with June. They were not the first to sing it. It was first recorded by the Kingston Trio in 1963, Flat and Scruggs in 1965. Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood recorded it and released it on an album at about the same time in 1967 as the Cashs and that version actually gained more popularity then on the pop charts. In the long run the Cash version became the more recognized.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    Sounds pretty solid Shack...
    Thanks
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    edited February 2007
    Hmmm... When I watched the movie, it clearly stated that June Carter wrote that song..