What do you do for a living?

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited June 2006
    Commercial and Residential HVAC and Commercial Refrigeration.

I own my own biz...it's just little ol' me.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited June 2006
    Public School Teacher and Audio/Video Business Owner.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    Originally Posted by bobman1235
    We make computer boards for embedded systems.... lots of computing power in VERY small spaces (usually military).

I bet that's some interesting stuff. Can you give us a reference as to just how small we're talking?

Our most dense product has four fully functional computing nodes on a board that's about 9" x 6" (and less than an inch thick).... so, smaller than your standard magazine (well, a little thicker, but smaller otherwise).

Some customers buy racks of 21 each of these. That's a lot of computing power.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2006
    Wow. That's quite impressive. And I'm sure it'll be even moreso when I find out what a 'computing node' is. :p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited June 2006
    graphic designer, installation and application tech., Network admin. Computer tech., Mechanic, Janitor, Sales person, Production manager, etc. all this for 7.25/hour.

Have done car audio/video and othe mechanical and electrical accessories for about 6 year, and cooked for 7 years before that.

Now I'm looking into starting my owm home audio/video installation business, but don't know what I need to legealy do it.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2006
    I'm the Candyman.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited June 2006
    I work for Procter & Gamble in the Planning/Logistics area; basically I try to make sure that work processes and systems (SAP) get along ( note I said "try").
    I am a Mechanical Engineer and love fixing anything that's broken (though sometimes I brake things that didn't need fixing):rolleyes:

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited June 2006
    HTrookie wrote:
    I work for Procter & Gamble in the Planning/Logistics area; basically I try to make sure that work processes and systems (SAP) get along ( note I said "try").
    I am a Mechanical Engineer and love fixing anything that's broken (though sometimes I brake things that didn't need fixing):rolleyes:

I have to ask Ricardo, what is the best detergent to wash my clothes?:D I tell you what the P&G corporate told me after your post;)

Carl
    Carl

• bert26
    bert26 Posts: 320
    edited June 2006
    My title is Business Analyst but I am still trying to understand what that really means. :cool: I generally spend all of my time trying to get data out of the Teradata data warehouse writing SQL or using front end tools like MicroStrategy. It's really all about getting the users what they want when they want it.
    HT Rig
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl - Anthem 2 SE
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    Polk Monitor 30 - HK DPR1005
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Carver 1.5t
    Carver C2
    Technics SLD202
    Some Other Sony DVD/CDP
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited June 2006
    Cool thread. I was recently curious about this too.

I work as a psychotherapist at an alternative high school and specialize in working with ajudicated teenagers with drug problems and/or criminal behavior. The main focus is on rehabilitation and inpatient treatment which typically last between 9-12 months.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited June 2006
    bert26 wrote:
    My title is Business Analyst but I am still trying to understand what that really means. :cool: I generally spend all of my time trying to get data out of the Teradata data warehouse writing SQL or using front end tools like MicroStrategy. It's really all about getting the users what they want when they want it.

Just remember, it's all about the primary index.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited June 2006
    I build data warehouses and application databases.
  • gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    edited June 2006
    I build tires for GY,12 hr shifts, rotating schedule .... I’m beat down and wore out!:eek:

G
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited June 2006
    I'm an Emergercy Medical Technician for the Fire Dept in NY (Fdny/Ems).
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited June 2006
    I design power distribution systems and manage those projects, primarily (no pun intended) for large, master-planned subdivisions for a cooperative in southern Arizona.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • cbl117
    cbl117 Posts: 285
    edited June 2006
    audiobliss wrote:

Now there's a field of engineering I hadn't considered before. Certainly sounds interesting.

To explain my responses to some of the engineering type professions here, lemme say I'm currently investigating (though I admit much too passively) various engineering fields, based on my like for math and mechanics. Given the number of people here who seem to be somehow related to these fields, I think I'm going to start a thread about engineering and the like.

Its a pretty intense job. I have a BSEE but also specialized in optical engineering. I basically write gratings on optical fiber using UV interference patterns. The fibers are then used for our fiber lasers. I'm a recent grad, but this is a great first stepping stone.

Do you have a degree already, or thinking about going back to school? The types of engineering jobs varies so much. Lemme know if I can help.
    2 Channel

Vandersteen 3a Sigs
    Music Reference RM-200
    Hovland HP-100
    VPI Scout w/ Benz Ace
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Cardas Golden Reference Speaker Cables
    Cardas Golden Reference Interconnects
    Cardas Golden Power Cords
    PS Audio UPC-200HB
    Black Diamond Racing Isolation
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2006
    I work at Circuit City... selling car audio.
    used to love it... now I really do not care.

i miss my 2 year internship at State Farm.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • cindy100
    cindy100 Posts: 256
    edited June 2006
    Part time office manager for a small computer company. I also do subcontract work for a company that decorates malls for Christmas; very high end and on a large scale. Love working there; I am able to set my own hours but decorators, designers and artists can be a little difficult to work with at times! Once the contracts are completed, I help decorate a few homes for the Christmas season.

Cindy
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2006
  • .Jon
    .Jon Posts: 98
    edited June 2006
    This Just In: Swerve Is A Compulsive Masturbater

He Told Me Himself
    vsnares
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited June 2006
    tonyb wrote:
    CONSTRUCTION-15 yrs as a forman for sewer and water outfit
    now I take it easy and am a heavy machine operator
    local #150 chicago.Barone construction.

So here's a yell out to all my union brotha's!!!!:)

Kind of the "Casey Jones of the Desk Set". International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 2. 27 years on the license.
    Tonyb, some of your heavy machine operators are breaking away from our local up in Iowa. Seems like they have some pension problems or such and are setting up their own local under the supervision of the International.

2nd Job: Maintenance Electrician. Non-union, a large "Maintenance Management Firm". :(

Was an ex-nuke, RO. Got tired of working 20 hour days. So now I only work 16 hour days. :)
    Sal Palooza
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited June 2006
    At least your going in the right direction..20 hrs-16 hrs????
    Must have a balance in life my friend.I of all people understand sometimes you gotta do what you must but life goes by in the blink of an eye
    to work that much.Thats why I switched unions,70-80 hrs a week
    left no time to enjoy life.Someone on here has it in there signature,
    Do not one day come to die and find out you have not lived.How
    true this is.Find a way,stop working so damn much,enjoy life my friend,
    you only have one.Cheers:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited June 2006
    I chase bad guys and put them in jail.
    Strip search???:D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited June 2006
    schwarcw wrote:
    I have to ask Ricardo, what is the best detergent to wash my clothes?:D I tell you what the P&G corporate told me after your post;)

Carl

And how would I know??? My degree is Mechanical...not Chemical... :)

Seriously, you'd have to ask my wife....but what I do know is that she uses Tide :rolleyes:

When I worked in manufacturing (first 10 years) I was very much into maintenance for the Health & Beauty area, so I know a few things about Crest, Pantene, Safeguard, etc. Detergents is basically a dark side for me.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • whitetruk
    whitetruk Posts: 308
    edited June 2006
    butcher 23 years,it`s a dead end coming soon in this part of the country.
    I thought it was fairly amusing also. The Polk Ogre doesn't always get 'it'
  • dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited June 2006
    Paramedic
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited June 2006
    I 'm a computer network consultant and an authorized Dell reseller.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited June 2006
    Nextel Cup - research and development for Damiler Chrysler, cool and expensive toys for an old man to play with.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2006
    Aerial gynecologist.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,705
    edited June 2006
    Schooled as a Chemical Engineer, working as an Environmental Engineer for the State of GA. Investigate and direct cleanup of hazardous waste sites across the state. (there are over 700)
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...