Post a picture... any picture

Options

Comments

• Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    5pjvczb9geu7.jpeg

Yep, I saw some nice gloves once, and that's what they looked like!!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,520
    Options
    I thought we learned this this morning - isn't this how you'd lose the other kidney?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    Wait a minute, this is one of those AI things, isn't it.
    I disabled signatures.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,088
    Options
    He tried many jobs before finding the dream one, melding wood and life

n29ds1615ej4.png
    Woody Jones poses for a photograph holding one of his prototypes at his showroom in his home in Decatur, Ga. Over 40 years, Jones has produced more than 3,000 pieces of mechanical amusements.

He spent decades hunting for his calling, cycling through jobs from law enforcement to mental health counseling and owning a bar at Underground Atlanta. As Jones neared 40, his aging dad was still asking when he’d settle on something. Anything.

And then, while hitchhiking in the West, still on the quest, a chance encounter started him on a fresh path, one that isn’t likely to show up on a list of potential careers. He had no real experience in woodworking. But while he was hitchhiking, a group that picked him up included a teenager who told him about carving figures out of wood. Jones decided to give it a try.

Now, going on four decades, Jones spends his days making wooden boxes that, when hand cranked, often depict playful, animated scenes from a person’s life and sometimes the fantastical. One day, a man came to his booth at an art festival and mentioned how nobody made depictions of his particular line of work. He was a gastroenterologist. The chance encounter eventually led Jones down a path of specialization. Now he only makes custom pieces, often delving into the stories of individuals.

He sometimes earns thousands of dollars on the most elaborate pieces, which have been commissioned for corporate titans, politicians, doctors, lawyers, scuba divers, cockroach trap marketers, golfers, bar owners, duck hunters, spouses. Anyone really. One that depicts scenes of Vincent van Gogh painting, with cranks that shift not only the background scene but the painting on the artist’s easel, sold for $10,000, he says. The sweeping one of people inside Grand Central Terminal sold for $24,000. And Jones says he got $40,000 for a package of 75 scenes placed inside three 30-foot-tall towers in a state environmental center in Pennsylvania.

The hand-painted scenes he portrays include duck hunters in the wild. A marriage proposal in front of a lighthouse. A Viking ship undulating on a roiling sea, pursued by a fearsome dragon with jaws that snap open and shut. A dentist drilling into the mouth of a prone patient, whose legs sporadically shoot up into the air.

There are also workers on a Ford factory line, showing different eras and vehicles over the span of a century, with parts circling overhead on a conveyor chain. And an elaborate three-level world, with heaven, hell and people who each have both angels and demons floating above them. Also a scene of 150-plus moving figures inside a miniature Grand Central Terminal in New York. And a mother in a delivery room with a doctor holding the baby and a father unconscious on the floor.

wx9930g600ct.png
    03uiuhswfk6s.png

Woody Jones has hand made thousands of miniature wooden scenes about people's work and private lives. The personalized mechanical amusements, with tiny figures of people and animals, often have multiple parts that move when a crank handle is rotated.

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,160
    Options
    Never mind the Blitz, got to have milk for your cuppa.

8559uap11a3t.png
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,088
    Options
    Cats and trains

ipu83qvsiy0z.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,348
    Options
    n6vdihdn4h5p.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,104
    Options
    When I first saw this image, I figured it must be a factory second from the Cat Outlet Store...
    0vdz5m96l2rc.jpg

Then I realized it was just one of those optical confusions. :|

• msg
    Options
    What's that? ^^^
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,635
    Options
    Slot ported sub box.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,160
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Slot ported sub box.

Slot and box in the same sentence and I can't think of a joke.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,110
    Options
    It's a beginning:

952r08n8k1pn.png

They've had great success with invisible fencing, not so much with the invisible gate yet.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,422
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Wait a minute, this is one of those AI things, isn't it.

Like this?

ew5bcdoqke8m.png

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • msg
    Options
    Got me, man, but it's fantasy either way, so...?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    OleBoot wrote: »
    xhpfqkdhn300.png

I first tried online dating for the first time, 5 years ago after my divorce. I quickly discovered that online dating is a lot like shopping for a truck online.

You look for a make and model that looks good to you. Then check the year and mileage. You look for special features and hope it doesn't get too expensive.

The only difference now is, the truck has to like you too........
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • msg
    Options
    sof5dxtziv0c.png
    Put me in line if you pa...
    Kindly disregard.
    I disabled signatures.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,629
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    xhpfqkdhn300.png

I first tried online dating for the first time, 5 years ago after my divorce. I quickly discovered that online dating is a lot like shopping for a truck online.

You look for a make and model that looks good to you. Then check the year and mileage. You look for special features and hope it doesn't get too expensive.

Post of the Day!

I mean that in the best possible way and with no ill will! May there be better days ahead, if there haven't been, already!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    xhpfqkdhn300.png

Post of the Day!

I mean that in the best possible way and with no ill will! May there be better days ahead, if there haven't been, already!

LOL, yeah man, I dig it, no ill will taken! Internet dating is also like sport fishing....catch and release!!

And sure, there's plenty of better days!! I appreciate the good word!!

And besides, you don't think the chicks go for my rugged good looks do you?? H e l l NO, I've got culinary skills baby!!

:D

• msg
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Slot ported sub box.
    I meant specifically which brand/kit!
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,104
    edited January 4
    Options
    xhpfqkdhn300.png

I dunno, with used trucks in New England, the biggest problem is rust. I'm not sure how you check the undercarriage for rust on a dating site...

Oh, I guess in either case, one is concerned whether the item's been used for heavy plowing?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,711
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I dunno, with used trucks in New England, the biggest problem is rust. I'm not sure how you check the undercarriage for rust on a dating site...

Oh, I guess in either case, one is concerned whether the item's been used for heavy plowing?

Another consideration is how many loads have been taken in bed . . . . from lumber yard to jobsite, of course.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,136
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    xhpfqkdhn300.png

Post of the Day!

LOL, yeah man, I dig it, no ill will taken! Internet dating is also like sport fishing....catch and release!!

And sure, there's plenty of better days!! I appreciate the good word!!

And besides, you don't think the chicks go for my rugged good looks do you?? H e l l NO, I've got culinary skills baby!!

:D

Being able to lick the alphabet helps…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,348
    Options
    qb4yp076esz9.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn