Options

Comments

• ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    hmmm...
    R100's - not on sale for $650/pair @ 50% off...$325
    L100's on sale for $800/pair @40% off...$480

Extra $155 and you get $1000 speakers for more than 1/2 off standard retail.

Math not a strong point but I think I got most of that right.

Not in the market - but interesting...
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • CottageChz
    Options
    @ALL212 Thanks for the information you posted. Right now he is looking at Klipsch The Fives - it’s an easy entry point because they have DAC, HDMI in, phono preamp, and Bluetooth built in. However I’m trying to push him towards passive speakers and separates for amplifier. I have a nice amplifier to lend him for a whole if he chooses this route. I think it will serve him better in the long run as far as being upgradable and customizing the system. And I think the Polks will sound better than the Klipsches. Appreciate the input!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    The website is wrong on the pricing for the L900 Atmos modules. Says they're $499 per speaker on sale on the site but the price should be $499 per pair on those (with 40 percent off that sale price).
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The website is wrong on the pricing for the L900 Atmos modules. Says they're $499 per speaker on sale on the site but the price should be $499 per pair on those (with 40 percent off that sale price).

@Sean_PolkAudio or @CarlJacobson_POLK... ^^^^FYI

Good catch. W/Christmas prep and all I just jumped on them....ordered 2 thinking they were priced like the L800's, each. Go figure. Have to admit I did think they were cheaper way back when but didn't check. Verified Crutchfield and then Polk's specs just now. Far down on the Polk page what you said...

tuv87socb4kd.png

Seems, I'll be calling Polk on Monday. Hopefully, they can correct but I have a feeling I'll be return shipping a pair.

@Emlyn You just made my night. PM me your Paypal info and I'll buy you a six pack of your favorite brew! Serious offer.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Polks way of dealing with how to order their products still, years later leaves much to be desired. The way the L800 is setup to be ordered is cumbersome at best
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    ^^THIS^^^

Ordering is NOT straight forward/ clear and concise

I’ll attempt to purchase again tomorrow .. . get it together or loose another sale 😳
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,314
    Options
    Well, they probably won't get it together over the weekend....I miss the days of having a contact person who could actually get things done...or at least point you in the right direction. These kinds of issues just cost Polk $$$$$!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    CottageChz wrote: »
    @ALL212 Thanks for the information you posted. Right now he is looking at Klipsch The Fives - it’s an easy entry point because they have DAC, HDMI in, phono preamp, and Bluetooth built in. However I’m trying to push him towards passive speakers and separates for amplifier. I have a nice amplifier to lend him for a whole if he chooses this route. I think it will serve him better in the long run as far as being upgradable and customizing the system. And I think the Polks will sound better than the Klipsches. Appreciate the input!

Definitely agree, try to steer him to the R100s over Klipsch The Fives.

Polk is long-term listenable and a more flexible/mature speaker he can grow into (i.e. add subs later for full-range, sound better with better amplification and ancillaries as he gets more into the hobby).

For streaming, a cheap Roku stick will get him access to Tidal/Spotify/Youtube (maybe others?), and sounds like you have him covered on amplification.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »

Hence the reason I still own a spare pair of 900’s from the last, but still gracious Polk offering
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    CottageChz wrote: »

@ALL212 - I vaguely recall you mentioning that the L100s were pretty lacking in the bass department?
    Understandable for their size. Did you also have them set up out in your space like your other speakers typically are? Not close to a rear wall or anything?

@CottageChz - The Klipsch The Fives actually sound like a decent package. I have The Sixes that I picked up from a member here as a curiosity in powered speakers after becoming enamoured with Audioengine HD3s. The Sixes sound was *rough* for me at first - more everything, kinda hot up top for me, but settled in after a while; I got used to them. The bass presence/effect on them was fantastic, though. They sounded really full.

The DAC on The Sixes is horrendous, but looking at The Fives, it looks like they've upped the electronics a bit, so maybe that's better now. Saw some note about irregular tonality on them, whatever that means.

Anyway, I thought The Sixes were a good "lifestyle package", and would probably be fine for someone who wants to be one-and-done. I used to feel a little disappointed to realize that this is a better fit for some people, but now I can really appreciate it.

The L100s will likely need a sub or at the very least, bass-space placement trickery, or are going to sound thin and only marginally better than a soundbar without proper gear.

Not saying it's a bad direction, but Cheez - think of your brother - do you really want him afflicted with this sickness? :D
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    The L100 is lacking bass. You will need a sub.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CottageChz
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I was thinking along the same lines as @jbreezy5

But the responses about lacking bass are making me wonder. He won’t be getting a sub anytime soon. Too bad the R200s aren’t part of the sale or the advice I give would be much easier!
    msg wrote: »
    Not saying it's a bad direction, but Cheez - think of your brother - do you really want him afflicted with this sickness? :D

Chuckling at this right now!
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    @CottageChz - If a larger speaker is needed at approx. $260-325 (potential price of the R100 new with discounts - if addt’l 10% discount is available as someone noted earlier in this thread), then you might have better luck on the used market.

Klipsch Fives are $969 and have a 4.5” (!) midrange/midbass. I doubt these will be satisfying in the bass either.

If 40-45Hz bass depth (@ -3dB) is desired, that usually means a midrange/mid-bass driver of 6 1/2” or larger is required on a 2-way bookshelf speaker with average sensitivity (85-87 dB). That will also depend on the design goals of the manufacturer.

Affordable used bookies that meet the bass criteria, I would recommend Wharfedale 9.2 or 10.2. These are warm/detailed, and have a good overall balance sonically.

I’ve seen Polk Monitor 70 floorstanders for under $200/pr. often. These are full, detailed, and a non-fatiguing speaker, with plenty of bass (no sub needed). These should be a no fuss speaker for persons getting their feet wet for the first time, and especially if using a mass-market surround receiver.

Good luck!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Keep your eyes open for “refurbed” pair of R200’s, the 50th Anniversary R200’s or L200’s. Some of these will be returned and they will sell as refurbished, but brand new essentially. I would also look for used. I sold a pair of R200’s for $400 and LSiM-703’s for $350. You want bass in a bookie, those or the L200’s are excellent
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    "I vaguely recall you mentioning that the L100s were pretty lacking in the bass department?
    Understandable for their size. Did you also have them set up out in your space like your other speakers typically are? Not close to a rear wall or anything?"

R200's
    Frequency Response (-3dB limits) 51Hz - 38kHz
    R100's
    Frequency Response (-3dB limits) 58Hz - 39kHz
    L100's
    Lower and Upper -3dB Limits 57 Hz → 38,000 Hz
    L200's

Not much difference there...

I've got them a bit over 2' from the back wall with sound damping panels directly behind them.

If I need bass I listen to the big kids.

Still good speakers.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • CottageChz
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Keep your eyes open for “refurbed” pair of R200’s, the 50th Anniversary R200’s or L200’s. Some of these will be returned and they will sell as refurbished, but brand new essentially. I would also look for used. I sold a pair of R200’s for $400 and LSiM-703’s for $350. You want bass in a bookie, those or the L200’s are excellent

Yep, I remember seeing your FS thread for those two sets of bookies, it was a great deal on both. I would snap the 703s up for him at that price if I saw them now. Or the 200s. I have a set of 703s myself and that bass is more than adequate IMO.

• CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 366
    edited December 2022
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    @CottageChz - If a larger speaker is needed at approx. $260-325 (potential price of the R100 new with discounts - if addt’l 10% discount is available as someone noted earlier in this thread), then you might have better luck on the used market.

Klipsch Fives are $969 and have a 4.5” (!) midrange/midbass. I doubt these will be satisfying in the bass either.

If 40-45Hz bass depth (@ -3dB) is desired, that usually means a midrange/mid-bass driver of 6 1/2” or larger is required on a 2-way bookshelf speaker with average sensitivity (85-87 dB). That will also depend on the design goals of the manufacturer.

Affordable used bookies that meet the bass criteria, I would recommend Wharfedale 9.2 or 10.2. These are warm/detailed, and have a good overall balance sonically.

I’ve seen Polk Monitor 70 floorstanders for under $200/pr. often. These are full, detailed, and a non-fatiguing speaker, with plenty of bass (no sub needed). These should be a no fuss speaker for persons getting their feet wet for the first time, and especially if using a mass-market surround receiver.

Good luck!

That all makes sense. Fives are available for $599 at Costco but they were on sale for (I think) $450, so that’s the price he was looking at… which isn’t a bad price to “get it all” in one go.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »
    "I vaguely recall you mentioning that the L100s were pretty lacking in the bass department?
    Understandable for their size. Did you also have them set up out in your space like your other speakers typically are? Not close to a rear wall or anything?"

R200's
    Frequency Response (-3dB limits) 51Hz - 38kHz
    R100's
    L100's
    Lower and Upper -3dB Limits 57 Hz → 38,000 Hz
    L200's

Not much difference there...

I've got them a bit over 2' from the back wall with sound damping panels directly behind them.

If I need bass I listen to the big kids.

Still good speakers.

Heard both in the same room, same gear. There's a world of difference.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Options
    The -3dB limit on the L200 is 46Hz which is pushing down into small tower bass output from some companies and the rear port design allows them to be placed closer to a wall than is usual. The L100 is 57Hz which to me means best suited for a smallish listening space although of course the owner always gets to decide what works for them. Some could find the L200 or R200 to be too big for their needs. My kitchen could use a speaker upgrade and the R200s I have are too big for that.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    Nice, man, congratulations!
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    Options
    Congrats!!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Well, after a full 2 days of measuring, reading, bouncing ideas off the forum, thinking.....lots of thinking and even more thinking and more measuring and thinking...even thinking about just keeping my 1C's and buying nothing. More agonizing, getting hyped by my fellow Polkies encouragement. One more time measuring.

I purchased a new black pair of Legend L600's. Absolute killer deal when you stack the extra 10% coupon.

Let's see how they compare to the excellent reviews and how they work in my room.

Thank You Polk Audio for giving a lifetime fan a great deal. Happy 50th indeed.

H9

I think you will like them. My dad picked up a pair about 3 weeks ago from Music Direct. An open box for a really good deal. I haven't spent much time with them but set it all up and was impressed but all equipment was new and needed some time to break-in. He paired them with a Musical Fidelity M6si. Now has a number of mid-tier AudioQuest cables that I need to get installed. Will get that done soon and provide details.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • CottageChz
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

I purchased a new black pair of Legend L600's[/b]. Absolute killer deal when you stack the extra 10% coupon.

H9

That’s awesome, congrats! Looking forward to some pictures and impressions. These are on my list for when I have a dedicated listening space.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    My second pair of L800s are on the way. They are THAT good. And the price was even better.
  • VR3
    Options
    Yes!!! I love it

Half bath rig!
  • dromunds
    Options
    Would someone please PM on how to use the two codes? Stupid question but it’s Monday morning and there’s only one box for promo code. Thanks
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    Options
    Nice. $176 with tax for an R300 to match my R200. I can finally get rid of my crappy old Mission center channel.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Follow-up on ordering the L900's. Recap: Polk's website is incorrect and advertises price per speaker, so I ordered 2:

gcji15mn1xyu.png

>>>>>As the saying goes, "The devil's in the details". Scroll way down on the product page to specs and you see this:

zg6cw5st3qza.png

Called Polk sales this morning and "John" confirmed "price per speaker" is incorrect and "passed this on to the support team". Also confirmed by another CP member @txcoastal1 that this happened to him in the past.

@Sean_PolkAudio @CarlJacobson_POLK Unable to cancel any part of the order b/c they are already in shipping...will have to RMA the extra set....understandable but unnecessary inconvenience. Unfortunate, as it started w/the incorrect listing and is costing Polk $$$$ or, even worse, possible sales.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • dromunds
    Options
    Thanks for the help with the two codes, got it.