Let's Talk About Power Conditioners

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I’m not sure I understand your grammar, could you elicit a more concise grammatically correct question please?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    lol! Posting at work and not proofreading.
  • joecoulson
    Well, it’s no secret I am a fan of AQ and I figured I would give their new high current cable a try. I did bid on an Acoustic Zen used on Audiog—-n but the guy was a little out of touch with how to haggle so I moved onto this. We’ll see how it goes.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I just unplug my power strip that has my preamp, Universal player and turntable. My amp is on it's own outlet, that gets unplugged too. I guess i'm lucky, we have a VERY predictable lightning season here and it is only for a month out of the year. If I see the clouds a comin' I unplug preemptively and get used to the idea that I won't listen that night.

Granted I understand the differences between a surge protector and a power conditioner, this was just a response to those with just a surge protector.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2019
    I gave it one more shot doing an a+b comparison running my entire rig on my Furman conditioner today vs. 3 dedicated circuits. I no longer believe it's the conditioner running out of gas as much as it is the single circuit vs. 3. Going back and forth quickly it almost sounded like a low filter was being engaged when both amps, the sub, and the front end were plugged into the Furman on a single circuit. So the monoblocks will each have their own protection less circuits until a second pc unit arrives someday.
    During the power cable swap I also measured some more of them with my new emi measuring tool. My findings this time disappointed me as I found my Pangea AC9's add a bit of emi. Not much but as fat, unwieldy and miserable to work with as they are I expected no added emi. I was wrong again.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    I gave it one more shot doing an a+b comparison running my entire rig on my Furman conditioner today vs. 3 dedicated circuits. I no longer believe it's the conditioner running out of gas as much as it is the single circuit vs. 3. Going back and forth quickly it almost sounded like a low filter was being engaged when both amps, the sub, and the front end were plugged into the Furman on a single circuit. So the monoblocks will each have their own protection less circuits until a second pc unit arrives someday.
    During the power cable swap I also measured some more of them with my new emi measuring tool. My findings this time disappointed me as I found my Pangea AC9's add a bit of emi. Not much but as fat, unwieldy and miserable to work with as they are I expected no added emi. I was wrong again.

Remind me, you have the big monster Macintosh monos? If so I wonder just what kind of amperage they pull when pushed?
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,034
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Remind me, you have the big monster Macintosh monos? If so I wonder just what kind of amperage they pull when pushed?

The manual claims 12 amps for each of the "Macintosh monos". But that is a worst case scenario and would be impossible to do without destroying something. My figures according to my kill a watt meter are .86 amps at -32.5db and 1.80 amps at -13.5db for each monoblock. This is on compressed music (fm) and in the range where most of my listening is done. So perhaps a steady 4-5 amps for the pair when "pushed". Couple that with maybe another 3-4 amps for the sub and front end electronics and there's maybe 9 amps tops. One 20 amp line should easily handle that load without voltage sag I'm thinking but I'm going to have to trust my ears here and stay with the extra lines.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,007
    I've used so many different brands over the years and APC has been the overall best so far. BUT Surge X is a smart way to go for protection. I'm on the fence with them as their lines are incomplete. I have faith in them but haven't seen the right piece for me.
    What I would have to use is a Surge X Block in front of a APC or Furman to get what I want.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • joecoulson
    Hard for me to tell if the cable has anything to do with this, but I had a crappy cable on it before so it had to help (see “what did you do to your ....” thread) but I have the following conclusions after adding the SVS to the hi current out on the Niagara.
    The three movie scenes I watched were:
    Beginning of Bumblebee when they are firmghting on the mountainside. The impacts have so much more strength. When the transformers hit the rock, the floor shakes crazy. Like it used to when the sub was spiked. But it’s not.
    The train scene in Solo, Star Wars story. The scene where they drop the car into the mountains had huge LFE effects. The sub has more gas as the frequency sweeps down low in this scene. Hitting the 20hz range and below.
    Lastly the truck scene in TMNT, this was the scene introduced to me at the SVS room at Axpona. Just more of the same here. Huge impacts and just more power behind them.

I think the reserve of 90amps with the Niagara leaned itself beautifully to movies.

The music will take me more time to tell but for now I just threw on some DNB and loved what I was hearing. The sub seems to blend with the mains better when connected to the AQ.
    I will report back as I listen to more music.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited May 2019
    First time I’ve plugged an amp into a power conditioner and it made a beneficial change. I ran it plugged into my 5000 for months, then switched it to a regular wall outlet (a furutech outlet). soundstage collapsed a considerable amount, and bass took a hit. The amp seemed to fall flat on its face. The audioquest 5000 will provide 100 amp instant bursts of current. The 5000 was the best 4000 bucks I’ve spent. I do have a Panamax in my theater, it does just fine. I think I payed 6-700 when it came out.

I used to have a hiss in my right channel, I was getting a little nervous my SLP 05 was going to require service. After adding the audioquest this fantom hiss went away. Not To mention the click I would get through my speakers when the mini fridge came on. This is on a dedicated circuit with a massive balanced power conditioner.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,973
    A good entry-level PC that doesn't break the bank is Chang Lightspeed (they have a few different models). They avoid using inductive coils, which can choke. I've since moved on to PS Audio for PC, but the Changs are good.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Just saw this thread. A better conditioner is my next stop. Looking at a PS Audio Power Plant 3. Should hopefully run circles around the APC I currently have in place.

Keep the info coming please.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • joecoulson
    That new PSA stellar power plant is the one you should get and report back here your findings after you do. Please. :)
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    Power amps all plugged directly to wall, HCA3000 has it's own circuit, subs have their own, 3rd has HCA2003 direct to wall, same circuit a HTPS7000Mkii which has all other front end gear plugged into it and the Marantz powers only one speaker.

Voltage swings aren't a problem in my home, we have the luxury of running directly off the transformer box with no other houses between us and it, often getting 121-123v as indicated on the Monster display, confirmed with multimeter. In peak A/C use hours it drops as low as 115 where SQ does suffer, so we listen at higher volumes later at night. Wife and I have both heard benefits running even just a Monster 2600 in the past, 7000 with balanced power provides additional benefit and it's convenient having a single power switching point.

Tried running big amps through individual conditioners in past, did not like, best SQ has always been right to the wall. YMMV.

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,492
    Careful with that.
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Just saw this thread. A better conditioner is my next stop. Looking at a PS Audio Power Plant 3. Should hopefully run circles around the APC I currently have in place.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat

That's not a conditioner, it's a regenerator. Not trying to be persnickety, but there's a distinct and fundamental difference in it's design and approach.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Clipdat wrote: »

That's not a conditioner, it's a regenerator. Not trying to be persnickety, but there's a distinct and fundamental difference in it's design and approach.

Either way, we’re going to give it a go. ;)
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Careful with that.

My wife tells me the same thing.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited May 2019
    I'm a tech support guy for a solar inverter company and I can tell you first hand that the US grid is dated and has noise and problems. Our inverters like most power electronics have line filters, surge protection, protective relays, gates, current control, trip point, etc, etc. Still we see blown varistors due to transient spikes, etc.

Given that most decent audio equipment has its own protection its still not a bad idea to have extra protection. As far as sound improvements and spending big bucks on conditioners...like everything your results will vary as the line voltage and noise will vary.

I use a Monster power strip but plan to find a Bekin or Furman unit at some point. However, IMO if I had a serious and expensive system I would not spend big buck on a conditioner unless
    1) It would have to be a Balanced power isolation transformer.
    2) I could hear, see a difference.

Great convo here: https://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/forum/subjective-soundings-your-views-on-audio/electronics-sources-stands-cables-accessories/cables-connections-biwire-links-discussion/631-power-conditioner-myth-busted

https://samplerateconverter.com/educational/power-conditioner

https://www.furmanpower.com/furman-technologies/discrete-symmetrically-balanced-power

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/newsletters/Bryston_Newsletter_V10_2.pdf
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0208/balanced_power_technologies_bp2.htm

http://mr-cable.com/B-P-T.htm

https://www.furmanpower.com/product/20a-prestige-symmetrically-balanced-power-conditioner-P-2400 IT

https://www.equitech.com/

https://www.toruspower.com/na-rm/

https://www.plixirpower.com/
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,160
    I picked up a PS Audio.dectect for my bedroom set up and it works great.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • joecoulson
    Will are you close to GA?
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I use a Voodoo power strip and the PS audio Dectect as Johnny does.. I always take the PS audio one with me to LSAF ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Clipdat
    Anyone have any experience with the Shunyata Venom PS8? https://www.thecableco.com/venom-ps8.html
  • joecoulson
    I do.
    I had this guy at a stereo outlet think that was the be all, end all solution at that price point.
    Turns out he was wrong.
    Joe
  • Clipdat
    Sounds like a Tall Tale.
  • joecoulson
    Yeah. We know who the clear winner at that price point is, I agree with you.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    I just plug my stuff into the wall. If lightning is a concern i unplug everything then hum and pick on a guitar. I just can't imagine the power supply of an amp and pre-amp that already has a transformer would need anything to produce a clear signal path from input to output aside from voltage spikes and brown-outs. Maybe we are spoiled here in the Pacific Northwest. Or maybe you all have exceptional hearing and a dead quiet listening environment.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I just plug my stuff into the wall. If lightning is a concern i unplug everything then hum and pick on a guitar. I just can't imagine the power supply of an amp and pre-amp that already has a transformer would need anything to produce a clear signal path from input to output aside from voltage spikes and brown-outs. Maybe we are spoiled here in the Pacific Northwest. Or maybe you all have exceptional hearing and a dead quiet listening environment.

I use to feel the same way. Thought they were items for the ultra wealthy that had more money than sense. My system always sounded pretty good. Then I learned a few things at work about the massive problems caused by transient noise and ground issues. So, I tried a used Panamax and really noticed no audible improvement. I went out on a limb and ordered a PSA regenerator and heard a noiseless background for the first time in my system. Like all things in audio, I wanted to try it and be able to say it was a hoax and save the money. Wasn't the case for me.

I have good incoming power to my house. I never see it dip below 119v, and that's rare. I usually see 122-123 volts even during peak usage. As an electrician I'm consistently checking my connections at the panel, as well as receptacles on my audio circuit, so it stays in good running order. The difference I've noticed was significant enough to cause me to consider bigger regeneration to see if I can get bigger improvement. I say try it for yourself and see if you notice any difference.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    edited May 2019
    I like my Richard Gray's Power Company.

5j6g11ma3sbn.jpg

I dig the light and the old logo. Not too steady there with the available light cam....

7s8a4z3uq3er.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    I use the Hydra8 and I think it made a difference. That is sweet Rich, the made some good gear from what I remember.