What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,469
    Rolled to Tung-Sol tubes in my Modwright preamp. The Raytheons had a lot of hours on them as I use my system for music, tv and games. Holy cow what an improvement!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,080
    Dr_Wu wrote: »
    I've been enjoying new for me WW Silver Eclipse speaker cables. This past week, thanks to our old friend Skip, I was able to add High Fidelity's Reveal interconnect. Another big step toward the ideal sound I've been chasing.

Nice!
    I’m curious about the Reveal cables. Did you roll them and the Silver Eclipse in at the same time?

If you rolled them in a staggered fashion, can you tell us what you heard from each.

TY Dr
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    edited May 2020
    @GlennDog

I had a few weeks with the SE cables before adding the Reveals. I had been using Zavfino Nova (OCC) before the SE. What I noticed immediately was more, and more accurate bass, and improved clarity. The Nova cables aren't bad, mind you, just not as bright (in a good way) and transparent as the SE.

The Reveal ICs replaced Zavfino Arcadia Mkii (also OCC). Again, similar steps forward in SQ. Nothing earth-shattering, but discernibly clearer, better sound. The Reveals are supposed to be burned in already, but I sense they are still getting smoother.

Overall, both were upgrades, and I wouldn't be as happy as I am without both. Hope that makes sense.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    Wow, gorgeous. And I bet it feels even better that you did it yourself. Nice job.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Very nice work.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,731
    Very nice work @jumpindick, I want to speculate that maybe one more support could help if used in the rear at the mid point.

I'm limited in my knowledge of what types of wood can span distances under load without sagging, so maybe others can chime in, so just a friendly suggestion.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    I've been enjoying new for me WW Silver Eclipse speaker cables. This past week, thanks to our old friend Skip, I was able to add High Fidelity's Reveal interconnect. Another big step toward the ideal sound I've been chasing.

Lucky bastage! I've been eyeing upgrading my Mini-Eclipse's with the Silvers for a while now. Just hard to dump a couple grand on anything right now with the way the world is... Maybe I'll contact D to see what he has. Been meaning to ask him what his impressions were when he upgraded his demo cables from the Mini's to the Silvers. Love Wireworld stuff!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    Nice work, @jumpindick

Don't take this as a negative but more constructive suggestion since I have made 2 sets of racks very similar to these.
    My first one that I made around 2012-2013 was zebrawood shelves with ambrosia maple legs. I did the screws on the sides similar to yours but I recessed the screws deep enough that I could then fit a piece of walnut dowel in to make it look more like a dowel joint with an exposed/flush dowel.

The cherry rack I made a year or so later is the exact same construction but was built larger and deeper for more equipment flexibility.

But what I am getting at is you can really clean the look up if you were to hide the screws in a similar manner.

Regardless of the above, it is a gorgeous finished project.

ugv74kze1xvf.jpg
    9jzfh8d9ya5k.jpg
    8clohkej4vl1.jpg
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    I feel fortunate I was even able to turn my rig on tonight.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    Blow up dolls get in the way?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    audioluvr wrote: »

Lucky bastage! I've been eyeing upgrading my Mini-Eclipse's with the Silvers for a while now. Just hard to dump a couple grand on anything right now with the way the world is... Maybe I'll contact D to see what he has. Been meaning to ask him what his impressions were when he upgraded his demo cables from the Mini's to the Silvers. Love Wireworld stuff!

Totally understand. I was lucky to catch a great deal on them here. I'm very grateful to @sgmsmg for that.

• jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Nice work, @jumpindick

Don't take this as a negative but more constructive suggestion since I have made 2 sets of racks very similar to these.
    My first one that I made around 2012-2013 was zebrawood shelves with ambrosia maple legs. I did the screws on the sides similar to yours but I recessed the screws deep enough that I could then fit a piece of walnut dowel in to make it look more like a dowel joint with an exposed/flush dowel.

The cherry rack I made a year or so later is the exact same construction but was built larger and deeper for more equipment flexibility.

But what I am getting at is you can really clean the look up if you were to hide the screws in a similar manner.

Thank you sir. You are absolutely correct. I take your feedback as a learning opportunity. So no worries at all. After all, through such feedback only that I can hope bring my work closer to the "perfection". So, your feedback is more than welcome :) .

I should have countersunk those screws and then plugged the holes with dovels. I had originally thought to not use any screws at all. Cut dado joints in the legs to fit the shelves and hold them in place using wood glue. I do not have those large parallel clamps. And I felt that gluing the shelves and legs would have made me do the sanding, finishing and polishing in the garage space. With the weight of the finished unit, I was not prepared to drag it upstairs. Would have been too heavy, at least for me...

But completely agree on what you are saying. My next project is to build a TV stand using ambrosia maple and walnut legs.. I am hoping to use some other joinery including dovetails at corners (between the edge of top shelf and side panel) and mortise and tenons for the framing part. That should be fun. Do you have Festool Domino? I am thinking to get one...

What kind of spikes are those? They seem big and beefy. I can use them in the next project. Good to know that you are also in this hobby. This project was the first ever that I worked on. I have done some end grain cutting boards, but nothing major. Although the design of the shelf I built was simple, but still to get everything squared up and to the dimension was a bit stressful...
  • jumpindick
    gmcman wrote: »
    Very nice work @jumpindick, I want to speculate that maybe one more support could help if used in the rear at the mid point.

I'm limited in my knowledge of what types of wood can span distances under load without sagging, so maybe others can chime in, so just a friendly suggestion.

Thank you. I thought about having a real panel, but then left it open for better airflow (although the space between the shelves is quite large). I am hoping that it will not sag. The hard maple of pretty dense and heavy. It takes weight quite well. If it was ambrosia maple, I would have thought about either having the shelves thicker or putting a cross support. We will see how this one holds out and goes.
  • jumpindick
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Wow, gorgeous. And I bet it feels even better that you did it yourself. Nice job.

Thanks Drew. It was indeed very satisfying. It gives me more encouragement to take upon more complex projects. I am learning as I go. So far, youtube has been my teacher and mentor :D for woodworking.
  • jumpindick
    indyhawg wrote: »
    Very nice work.

Thank you.
  • jumpindick
    butterbean wrote: »
    Nice contrast in your woods! Sharp!

Thank you. Yes, the contrast is nice to see. For the legs, I was debating between black walnut and red cherry. I ended up with the walnut. I am happy with it.
  • ZLTFUL
    jumpindick wrote: »
    Do you have Festool Domino? I am thinking to get one...

What kind of spikes are those? They seem big and beefy.

Negative on the Festool but it is on my wish list.

The spikes are from Parts Express...Dayton Audio.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Nice work, @jumpindick

ugv74kze1xvf.jpg
    9jzfh8d9ya5k.jpg
    8clohkej4vl1.jpg
    please post a wide angle view

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • jumpindick
    @ZLTFUL those are really nice looking. I like your design as well. Keep it simple but to the perfection. Nicely done Ryan!
  • jumpindick
    What type of finish did you use on those stands?
  • ZLTFUL
    Both are finished in polycrylic from Minwax.

The zebrawood one was finished with tung oil but then I stripped them and then shot them with polycrylic.

• indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Awesome work Ryan
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    Those modular stacks are really cool Ryan. Great job! I too like using the Polycrylic. Dries fast with little odor and is very durable.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Very sharp looking set of speakers Drew! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    I'm going to save most of my thoughts for the formal review, but I will say that I am very impressed with their sound and performance, especially for the price. ($999 - currently on sale for $899.)
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,905
    Very nice, congrats!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.