What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    took me two hours to make four freaking cables (numerous cases of pilot error -- good thing I wasn't helming a 737-MAX8 :/ )... but, as I type this, all of the embarrassing cables have been purged from the main part of the upstairs hifi except for the tuner and the subwoofa.

Not that you'll be able to tell from the photos I just took :|

32552825977_b3ecce84f4_h.jpgDSC_4264 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

47442002492_20678acc1e_h.jpgDSC_4262 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Looking good Mark! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited March 2019
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    took me two hours to make four freaking cables (numerous cases of pilot error -- good thing I wasn't helming a 737-MAX8 :/ )... but, as I type this, all of the embarrassing cables have been purged from the main part of the upstairs hifi except for the tuner and the subwoofa.

Not that you'll be able to tell from the photos I just took :|

32552825977_b3ecce84f4_h.jpgDSC_4264 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I guess that depends on what you consider to be embarrassing. For example, I see one pair of Acoustic Research interconnect cables (all blue) and one pair of Monster Cable interconnects (fuzzy ones in the back, silver color with blue stripes) in the background ((bokeh)). :p
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    Yeah, but you essentially can't see the two brand new pairs now connecting the phono preamp and the DAC to that source selector/TVC "passive preamp" :)
    You can see the pair of new cables going from the passive towards the amp.

I labeled the shield-connected ends of the connectors I made today (and earlier this week) with heatshrink. The first pair I made (seen in the photo above) just have a little snippet of masking tape at the shield-connected end :p
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Today I began serious listening evaluation of a set of 1.5M Audioquest WEL RCA interconnects... so far I can say that solid silver is a vastly different listening experience, and that you don't need much of it to make a difference. The detail within the upper frequencies is definitely more airy and delicate. There is more space and shimmer up top as well, but it also walks the edge of inviting sibilance into the equation, which is not a good thing with Polk Audio's tweeters, even the RDO-198's.

At this point, my next focus will be to get my Dreadnaught built and install the new binding plates I have had laying around for a while. Beyond that, I think I have come to the point where there is very little left to do besides sit back and listen. If there are more improvements to be made, it will need to come from replacing the Polks.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,935
    I run a set of dh labs revelation which are solid silver... I agree it adds a hint of shimmer
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2019
    I find so far that on some recordings it really can elevate the performance of the artists, and on others it can be distracting. They also really seem to have an impact on the SDA side of things. Greater bloom, expansion of the soundstage and mire pinpoint imaging with a very focused center. It seems like I am running my center channel at times.

There seems to be just a bit more growl to electric guitars as well.
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,172
    edited March 2019
    Got these puppies in, so far I am very impressed. Are they as good as my previous separates setup? No but I think it would be unrealistic to expect a 2000 set of speakers to keep up with 12k worth of equipment. I will say the difference is not huge though, and I haven’t even added the sub into the mix yet. I’m very happy with the decision to transition to these. Now waiting for some taller Skylan stands to come in!

l2ojp8xxhats.jpeg

2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • musicnut23
    musicnut23 Posts: 16
    edited March 2019
    verb wrote: »

Cool! And welcome! Post some pics of your fine work! :smile:

Pics from the changes to my Ariston RD11S last week. Also switched out my rectifier this morning on the Dynaco ST-70. Purchased an old Amperex GZ34 from the classifieds on here (Thanks to @mikeyb128 ) to replace a JJ GZ34.

yojhnyrrqz06.jpg

ij3l59vhagnu.jpg

5ka0ls826nkv.jpg
  • aiconn
    aiconn Posts: 277
    I finally took the time to troubleshoot the buzz in my Quads. I thought it might be the cable box, and sure enough that's it. I was surprised that it was causing the ground loop through the HDMI cable. It happens if the HDMI cable is plugged directly into the TV as well. I also tried a different cable to verify and it continued. I'll try swapping boxes next.
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • verb
    Just got these locally from a CL ad. Analysis Plus Oval 9's speaker cables with locking banana's, and a set of silver coated jumpers, also Analysis Plus! :smile:
    sd1wkuonn8w8.jpg
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    Just got these locally from a CL ad. Analysis Plus Oval 9's speaker cables with locking banana's, and a set of silver coated jumpers, also Analysis Plus! :smile:
    sd1wkuonn8w8.jpg
    [emphasis added]

Is banana theft a big problem in your area? ;)

sorry, couldn't resist.

I spent a few minutes still tryin' to document my fine new phalanx (kind of a mini-phalanx) of freshly-minted wires upstairs.

:p

47502189341_604bff7dee_b.jpgDSC_4275 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

47502189721_48d0222575_b.jpgDSC_4274 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I might even swap out those dump find Monsters one of these days...
    B)

• verb
    Hehe! :) No but I like the locking aspect of em, so they don't get loose over time. Especially with the weight of those cables! :smile:
  • nooshinjohn
    Today I mounted my Dreadnaught transformer inside its case and got the new terminal plates for my SDA's drilled out and installed the binding posts.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    sd1wkuonn8w8.jpg

This must mean you are in the market for monoblocks... HA! you're always in the market!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    aiconn wrote: »
    I finally took the time to troubleshoot the buzz in my Quads. I thought it might be the cable box, and sure enough that's it. I was surprised that it was causing the ground loop through the HDMI cable. It happens if the HDMI cable is plugged directly into the TV as well. I also tried a different cable to verify and it continued. I'll try swapping boxes next.

If you have extra cable at the entrance you could re-terminate the F connector at the box and do not use the coax ground shield. Other's try 3 to 2 prong cheater plugs and it works. I believe its caused by having two different ground pontenials between house and cable. I've successfully used the F connector method with no problems. For some changing boxes doesn't help because it's not a box problem.

My .02
  • aiconn
    aiconn Posts: 277
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    aiconn wrote: »

If you have extra cable at the entrance you could re-terminate the F connector at the box and do not use the coax ground shield. Other's try 3 to 2 prong cheater plugs and it works. I believe its caused by having two different ground pontenials between house and cable. I've successfully used the F connector method with no problems. For some changing boxes doesn't help because it's not a box problem.

My .02

You're on the money. Changing the box didn't help at all. I tried running the cable through a Panamax, but that didn't help either. Finally tried running it through a surge protector and the problem is solved.
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • stangman67
    Did a little cable management using some simple split look and cable clips. These stands are temporary as I am waiting for Skylans to come in but they don’t have any cable management built in, so this concept should also work well when those come in.

Gotta get my hands on a 2m set of eclipse rcas now. Anybody got one laying around?! g99pvjwy7b4u.jpeg
    dwvec00o8mc9.jpeg

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • verb
    Nice Zach! Love the blue KEF's! :smiley:
  • verb
    Installed the Analysis Plus Oval 9's on the Bottlehead rig. At about 1m, they were the perfect length! Howard Jones putting em through the paces now! :smile:
    smqa07j8qg3x.jpg
  • stangman67
    Very tidy setup you got there Dave

• verb
    stangman67 wrote: »

Thanks Zach. I’m pretty arnal when it comes to cable management! :smile:
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    I think you should turn your new ribbon cables 180 degrees.

Just kidding. :p They're fine. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn

You are welcome to come over and fix my cable mess any time you like.

• verb
    Love to John. Next time I’m in CA for sure! :smile:
  • mhardy6647

u7pfne652u4c.png
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    Looks great Dave! Notice any improvements in sound? Inquiring minds want to know...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Looks great Dave! Notice any improvements in sound? Inquiring minds want to know...

Nothing really jumped out as compared to a set of Douglass Connections cables I had previously. But I didn't really spend too much time with em, as the Bottlehead was put aside for the Antique Sound Labs monoblocks! :smile: