Antique Sound Labs in Verb's House!

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
edited March 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
So I'm continuing on with my Fleapower journey.

Thanks to none other but our very own and beloved @mhardy6647 for getting me started! :smile:

Got these for a steal on CL today. Was asking $350.00 but got em for $240.00! At that price point, who could resist!

So I swapped out my Bottlehead SEX integrated, and now rocking this sweet pair of Wave AV-8 monoblocks! Gonna get some playtime with em, and do a comparison between the two. Rocking the Klipsch's right now. What fun! :smile:

dj0rmken3ckz.jpg
zeeckymffgpl.jpg

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
Post edited by verb on

Comments

• verb
    These guys use 2 6mb6 tubes each. Russian Svetlana’s are in there now, with 4 spares. Anyone have experience with this tube? Any suggestions for rolling? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Looks GREAT!!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,424
    I see Audioengine :)B)
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    msg wrote: »
    I see Audioengine :)B)

Yep. The B1. Works great, with the APTx codec for BT streaming. :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,024
    edited March 2019
    verb wrote: »
    These guys use 2 6mb6 tubes each. Russian Svetlana’s are in there now, with 4 spares. Anyone have experience with this tube? Any suggestions for rolling? :smile:
    OK I am havin' a flashback now! :)
    The ASL Wave 8 monoblocks were all the rage for a while back, what, maybe 20 years ago? 99 bucks a pop.

I don't think that's the right tube number, is it?
    My recollection is that these used two of *BM8 family of triode/pentode in one envelope. This review http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0302/aslwave8.htm
    says that they used the PCL82 which is like the ECL82/6BM8, but with 16 volt heaters instead of 6 volt. This family of tubes incorporates a triode and a power pentode in a single glass miniature 9 pin format envelope.

The 6BM8 was used in lots of low power/inexpensive (largely Japanese) equipment late in the vacuum tube hifi era. Basically, two tubes can be used to make a push-pull amplifier. One triode section is the voltage amp (driver), the other's used as the phase splitter, and then the two tubes' pentode sections serve as the push-pull power output tubes.

PP output of these amps is about 8 watts (thus the "Wave 8" moniker) -- these are push-pull, not single-ended amps (in case you didn't know that).

To this day, the 6BM8 tube is held in high esteem by a segment of the Japanese ultra-hifi vacuum tube community, so -- there is that :)

My little S-5 Electronics "K-502" kit-built amp is broadly similar to two of these on one PC board, but it uses yet another variant of the same tube, the 11BM8 (11 volt heater)! It is a nice little cheap amp. Both of our kids used this amp during their college tenures for a year or two (each) and it held up quite well.

40423955732_a3606d0240_b.jpgDSC_0631 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

At any rate, I am sure they're nice little amplifiers -- quite different than the little Bottlehead amp, though.

• verb
    Getting old here Doc - Your right 6BM8 !!! :smile:
  • verb
    First think I noticed was the sound to be a bit thin. Not bad, but not nearly the mid bass or bass that the Bottlehead kicked out. For a fleapower amp that is!

Getting a little more hum at zero volume in the left channel amp than the right channel too.

The Klipsch's though, really compliment this setup, IMO.

I'm gonna roll some better tubes in it for sure! Hopefully that'll help. :smile:

But so far, so good! Really enjoying it! :smile:
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    Verb, At your current pace you will need a new (larger) home in approximately 32.47 months, or sooner if WAF has a bubble, meltdown... Anyway I envy you and the gear you've put together in the short time you've been here! You've done a truly remarkable job of learning and being able to decide good from bad. There should be a real badge for what you've accomplished. You're a real asset to the forum. Better get that addition going on the garage, the wife may need to move some of her stuff out there. :)
  • mhardy6647
    OK, looks like the ASL Wave AV-8 dates from ca. 2003 (a little more recent than I thought) and that it did use the 6BM8/ECL82. :p

Couple of relevant discussions from a quick search @AA (FYI and FWIW):
    http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=tubes&n=49786&highlight=antique+sound+labs+WAVE+8&r=&search_url=/default.mpl?searchtext=antique+sound+labs+WAVE+8&b=AND&topic=&topics_only=N&author=&date1=&date2=&slowmessage=&ip=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&sortRank=Forum&forum=ALL

http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=tubes&n=107079&highlight=antique+sound+labs+WAVE+8&r=&search_url=/default.mpl?searchtext=antique+sound+labs+WAVE+8&b=AND&topic=&topics_only=N&author=&date1=&date2=&slowmessage=&ip=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&sortRank=Forum&forum=ALL

http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=tubes&n=51641&highlight=antique+sound+labs+WAVE+8&r=&search_url=/default.mpl?searchtext=antique+sound+labs+WAVE+8&b=AND&topic=&topics_only=N&author=&date1=&date2=&slowmessage=&ip=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&sortRank=Forum&forum=ALL

The biggest problem is gonna be a source of good quality NOS 6BM8s for it :( To the best of my knowledge, there's no current production, and good NOS tubes aren't inexpensive -- which is kind of ironic, as way back when the tubes, and amps that used 'em, were cheap! :|

And, strictly FWIW :p Pioneer built and sold a few components using the 6BM8 tubes for quite a few years towards the very end of the tube hifi era :) The most common, perhaps, of them all was the SX-34/SX-34B receiver, also sold by Allied Radio Corp as the Allied or Knight 333. Adorable little 8 wpc receiver with decent performance overall.

i4gqyj4y190i.png
    yayd8gfc0tur.png

source: www.alliedcatalogs.com (1970!)
  • verb
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Verb, At your current pace you will need a new (larger) home in approximately 32.47 months, or sooner if WAF has a bubble, meltdown... Anyway I envy you and the gear you've put together in the short time you've been here! You've done a truly remarkable job of learning and being able to decide good from bad. There should be a real badge for what you've accomplished. You're a real asset to the forum. Better get that addition going on the garage, the wife may need to move some of her stuff out there. :)

Yeah - The flushing my money down the toilet badge! Just kidding - loving every minute of this fabulous journey! :smile:
  • verb
    @mhardy6647 this is interesting. Not necessary to match all 4 tubes? From the 2nd link above:

Since the Wave is push pull, it would seem desirable for each monobloc to have a pair with at least the pentode sections matched. Matching of the triode sections and matching between the blocs should not be necessary.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    edited March 2019
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

40423955732_a3606d0240_b.jpgDSC_0631 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Hey, something I recognize! Those RCA's were the best Rat Shack had way back when! Used to have some myself! Meant to put the picture in there, someday I'll figure stuff out...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • verb
    edited March 2019
    Whoa. Looks like Electro-Harmonix decided to re-issue the 6BM8!
    ic09xu2cybq9.png
    Available on Amazon!
    https://www.amazon.com/Electro-Harmonix-6BM8/dp/B01HQYZ8OK
  • mhardy6647
    @mhardy6647 this is interesting. Not necessary to match all 4 tubes? From the 2nd link above:

Since the Wave is push pull, it would seem desirable for each monobloc to have a pair with at least the pentode sections matched. Matching of the triode sections and matching between the blocs should not be necessary.

It would certainly be best for the pentode sections in a push-pull amp to be matched using a transconductance-type tester, I would think... there may (or may not) be a "balance" control (not akin to a preamp's channel balance) on the amp to provide some accommodation for variation in output tube performance.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2019
    Interesting about the EH 6BM8s (presumably Russian tubes). I did not know about them.
    I could use a few 6BM8s myself :)

This little guy is also PP 6BM8, with a vacuum tube HV rectifier.

46448227554_017487c2ed_b.jpgDSC_3992 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Last I knew, there weren't any new production Russian ECL82/6BM8, but maybe they came back(?!). That would be cool.
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    Maybe

Maybe Verb and family can move in with mhardy6647 and family.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2019
    Maybe

Maybe Verb and family can move in with mhardy6647 and family.

Or I can just pack a shipping container full of stuff & send it to him/them :)

Speaking of ElectroHarmonix... I think I kinda want one of these... :p

k4bvlcxveckt.png

http://ehxblacklight.com/electro-harmonix-flashback-day-glo-poster/
  • verb
    So today after work I went upstairs to the spare room and give the monoblocks some more time. Shpongle (thank you @Clipdat) spinning. Nice detail and depth.

Liking it, kinda proud of myself, I called the Mrs upstairs to look at the new rig.

And what did she say? Are you taking over every room in the house?

Busted? Time to beg for forgiveness. Fellas you know the drill! :smile:
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,589
    That's when you simply reply "Well, yes!"
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »
    That's when you simply reply "Well, yes!"

If she only knew my master plan! :smile:
  • Clipdat

What's your master plan?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013
    The new detached garage will become a new audio sound studio. :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    Tony M wrote: »

For sure! Well at least a rocking 2 channel rig in there! :smile:
  • verb

What's your master plan?

Hehe. WIP, but definitely some kinda rig in every major room of the house! :smile:
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Tony M wrote: »

AND the room above it that the architect doesn't even know 'bout yet!!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Clipdat
    Hehe. WIP, but definitely some kinda rig in every major room of the house! :smile:

Good man.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013
    the bat loft. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    What's your master plan?

Just a sec. He'll go ask her.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb wrote: »
    ic09xu2cybq9.png
    Available on Amazon!

A friend of mine is from one of the now neighboring (formerly part of the union) countries to Russia. He told me that after the fall of the Soviet Union all those factories were bought up very cheap (or scrapped out) and have been slowly producing and filtering tubes etc. back into the US over the last 10yrs.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    ic09xu2cybq9.png
    Available on Amazon!

A friend of mine is from one of the now neighboring (formerly part of the union) countries to Russia. He told me that after the fall of the Soviet Union all those factories were bought up very cheap (or scrapped out) and have been slowly producing and filtering tubes etc. back into the US over the last 10yrs.

Forgive my misunderstanding but how does a scrapped out factory produce and filter tubes to the US? I can understand that a tube factory which was purchased by someone and continues to produce tubes but not the scrapped out part or the factory which was bought out and is no longer producing tubes.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10