What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,769
    newbie308 wrote: »
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/296124364484

This is what I used. I think they only have one 23 foot length remaining.

I can't see any markings/labels on the outer jacket of that wire, not even gauge? That would be a code violation here.
    Not sure about the non standard wire colors. No green or black.

What made you go with a completely unknown wire? Safety first.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,239
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    newbie308 wrote: »
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/296124364484

This is what I used. I think they only have one 23 foot length remaining.

I can't see any markings/labels on the outer jacket of that wire, not even gauge? That would be a code violation here.
    Not sure about the non standard wire colors. No green or black.

What made you go with a completely unknown wire? Safety first.
    @WilliamM2, I'm not sure why you're not aware of mil-spec or aircraft wire like this. The numbers are right there in the picture man.
    M27500 cable products are composed of mil spec inner conductors, single or double shields and single or double jackets. This milspec cable is ideal for use in aircraft and ground support equipment due to its ability to operate in a broad range of temperatures. In addition to being a defense and aerospace cable, this high performance, milspec cable is used in a wide range of general purpose electrical applications.

https://www.awcwire.com/product/m27500-12te3t14

https://www.wiremasters.com/product/M27500-12TE3U14

As I thought it is not "silver" plated, it is tin plated to avoid corrosion in critical area use like airplanes and military use.
  • WilliamM2
    edited July 8
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    @WilliamM2, I'm not sure why you're not aware of mil-spec or aircraft wire like this. The numbers are right there in the picture man.

I didn't see any markings on the jacket (or the wire) in newbie306's link. I know here, that's what the inspector looks for. For instance, making sure outlets all have 12ga wire.

And why would I be familiar with aircraft wire? I've never wired one. Is it approved for residential use? If so, fine, but I have doubts, and also wondered about the non standard wire colors.

Looks like it's ETFE and not PTFE as well, which has a lower operating temp. 150C instead of the 200C claimed.
  • pitdogg2
    edited July 8
    Why would I be familiar with aircraft wire? I've never wired one. Is it approved for residential use? If so, fine, but I have doubts, and also wondered about the non standard wire colors.
    Simply because a ton of members have made power cords and such with multiple different types of wire very similar to this. As for passing any sort of code for residential use? I'm highly doubtful myself.
    Honestly if that is your main concern then I'm sure you know exactly the type you need to use.
    Personally I wouldn't use it in this application myself. I'd either go with individual stranded conductors if I needed high flexibility or Romex if flexibility was not a concern in 10 or 12 gauge.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,360
    @newbie308 I'm not trying to add to the controversy (lol) but what is meant by a hospital grade "hanging" receptacle. I know hospital grade but hanging?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,501
    I think he means isolated ground
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • WilliamM2
    Honestly if that is your main concern then I'm sure you know exactly the type you need to use.
    Personally I wouldn't use it in this application myself. I'd either go with individual stranded conductors if I needed high flexibility or Romex if flexibility was not a concern in 10 or 12 gauge.

My main concern would be fire, And if it did happen, the insurance/fire inspectors finding something in my electrical panel that should not be there.
  • Gardenstater
    edited July 8

My main concern would be fire, And if it did happen, the insurance/fire inspectors finding something in my electrical panel that should not be there.

My question is what does the building codes say, in the latest NEC standard? Voltage rating is definitely good. Teflon insulation is good to a higher temperature than what is used in Romex. It has a military grade to it. What is it missing that the code requires.......UL listing?

I suppose they don't pay for testing by Underwriter's Laboratories since it isn't marketed for residential/commercial use, even though it would pass with flying colors. Might not be fun to argue with a building inspector about this though.

https://www.sycor.com/blog/post/mil-spec-wire-explained
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • VR3
    In my experience, a code inspector would agree to pass it if you paid an electrical engineer to say it's good
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2

Done correctly I do not see that(fire hazard)as an issue. That jacket material is used to help negate that moreso than vinyl jacket. I can see the insurance negative to it, as I work in insurance. So I'm not disagreeing with that. I've used this type mil-spec/aircraft wire in audio projects many times.

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,348
    If you are getting it inspected, I would hesitate using it, the inspector might want to see a spec sheet if the wire isn't labeled. Inspectors are out of their depth most of the time with anything out of the ordinary.
  • pitdogg2
    invalid wrote: »
    If you are getting it inspected, I would hesitate using it, the inspector might want to see a spec sheet if the wire isn't labeled. Inspectors are out of their depth most of the time with anything out of the ordinary.

That is in a nutshell why they went to different colored romax jackets, inspectors didn't want to take time to "inspect". Oh thats orange jacket (10ga), hey the outlets are yellow (12ga) and the lights are white (14) hey you pass👍
  • WilliamM2
    Done correctly I do not see that(fire hazard)as an issue. That jacket material is used to help negate that moreso than vinyl jacket. I can see the insurance negative to it, as I work in insurance. So I'm not disagreeing with that. I've used this type mil-spec/aircraft wire in audio projects many times.

I'm sure you didn't run it in the wall.
    As he said, it's a lot of work. I'd use the correct wire in the first place. And I don't want to do all that work, and have a chance of hassles later.
  • Gardenstater
    I think what I would do is contact the company that manufactures the cable and ask them if it has been tested by a NRTL (nationally recognized testing laboratory), of which UL is only one of them, and what the name of it is. Then you could give that info. to the building inspector or insurance investigator should it ever be required. From some comments on an electrical forum, the NEC can't specifically require UL listing, only that it is "listed".
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • WilliamM2
    That is in a nutshell why they went to different colored romax jackets, inspectors didn't want to take time to "inspect". Oh thats orange jacket (10ga), hey the outlets are yellow (12ga) and the lights are white (14) hey you pass👍

Exactly. I used piece of WHITE 12/2 w/ground Romex from my neighbor (less than 10'), because I ran short when wiring my garage. I had to make the inspector read the the jacket. He had to call someone to make sure it was okay, he had not seen white 12/2 before. It was on a lighting circuit, but all breakers are 20 amp.

My house was built in 1975, and the original wiring is all Anaconda Duratex 12/2 w ground, some is white, some is black.
  • pitdogg2

I'm sure you didn't run it in the wall.
    As he said, it's a lot of work. I'd use the correct wire in the first place. And I don't want to do all that work, and have a chance of hassles later.

No. I made cables out of it or used thinner strands for audio gear.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 757
    @newbie308 I'm not trying to add to the controversy (lol) but what is meant by a hospital grade "hanging" receptacle. I know hospital grade but hanging?

The shop I worked in always referred to a single receptacle that connects directly to the end of a cord as a "hanging" receptacle. Like this:

https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/p/Leviton-8319-Ct-Black-Hospital-Connector-Nma5-20R/5655658
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • pitdogg2
    edited July 9
    So essentially, you made an extension cord that connects directly to a breaker in your panel?

Hanging receptacle, I don't care what they call it at your shop, that's just silly play on words that should say probable illegal power connection to a electric panel.
    Because that "hanging receptacle" is highly flexible and probably not secured to anything, that could be a fire waiting to happen. Oh please tell me more.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,553
    That is Mil Spec wire. It's also Coast Guard approved for marine applications. I used this exact stuff to rewire my boat. I'm pretty sure it's acceptable for residential use as the military uses it in all their land based facilities. As for whether it would be a better audio grade replacement than standard Romex only the end user would know but it's pretty cool...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,548
    edited July 12
    Big shout-out to my (our!) friend & hifi fellow traveler @Clipdat for kindly & graciously enabling me to audition a pair of JJ 2A3s in the JE Labs "Simple 2A3"! :) Rated for 40 watt plate dissipation. :#
    The JJs have a very good reputation in terms of modern 2A3 options.
    I am excited to be giving these largish-bottles a whirl, and very appreciative of Drew for providing them!
    So many folks here have been so darned nice to me -- and (with no false modesty) I really haven't done much if anything to deserve the kindness that's been shown to me here over the years. :blush:

53852198459_c0029b8e2e_b.jpgDSC_0858(2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I'll be tryin' to get the boudoir photography image of them illuminated by the glow of their own direct-heated cathodes after dark tonight. Hubba-hubba! B)

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,567
    Oh, yes you have!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,926
    My pleasure, Mark. Enjoy!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,548
    edited July 12
    maxward wrote: »
    Oh, yes you have!

It embarrasses me to think about it. So many nice (and generous) folks...
    The only - weak - response I can muster (other than true gratefulness*) is the occasional funky Karma.
    Time for another one, methinks!

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,870
    I am rewiring the entire rig today. Trying to chase down a ground loop or unwanted noise when certain things are hooked up after a recent addition. This required that I break down half of the rig in order to get to the space I need to redo/reroute the wiring.

We were not built as a species to do the human pretzel thing. That much, I can tell you.

Hopefully, all of this work will yield pleasing results. *crosses fingers*.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • newbie308
    Good luck on your mission! Ground loops are a PITA sometimes.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • VR3
    But that bread though... Mmm
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,870
    Bread?

This one is really putting my troubleshooting experience into hyper overdrive. There are waaay more components/cables in the system than there were before. Oi.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Pita bread is delicious
  • newbie308
    I think I heard a rimshot and canned laughter after reading that.

Seriously though @treitz3 , wasn't that noise filter the last change you made to the system?