What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,948
    No. I am attempting to hook up the Mutec master clock to the Esoteric transport. Something within the DAC, the cables, the clock, the pre, the amp, the new to me Niagra or plug location is amiss and causing a vast amount of strange and loud noises.

I have unplugged everything else to assist in troubleshooting. This one is a little bit more complicated than I though it would be. It's probably something simple but there are a lot of components at play.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,045
    What an unexpectedly pleasant way to spend your weekend. Hope you track it down quickly... or at least that you are able to track it down!
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • treitz3
    So, I have figured out what the issue was. Of all things? A BNC to RCA adapter. A stupid little gold plated Amazon POS that caused a week of downtime and the purchase of a new SRA cable from the transport to the ANK DAC.

I eliminated every aspect of the rig that had nothing to with the transport, DAC, amp and pre and the issue remained. That helped me to narrow it down.

Last week, Jonny from Snake River Audio contacted me and as we were just shootin' the chit about audio, I informed him that the system was down.

Told him everything I had done to diagnose. The theory, the results, what was removed and the end result. He came up with the idea that it was the adapter from RCA to BNC (based upon other clients having issues with them).

I told him that frankly that didn't make any sense because the system has had that in use for months and it has been playing fine. No noise....until I went to go hook up the clock.

A very long story short? He told me that he was gonna make a new Boomslang for me, this time, with the correct connections. It just arrived a couple of hours ago.

Now, I gotta be honest with you here....I wasn't expecting jack. With that said, within 5 minutes of losing the adapter? I had sound WITH the clock and there was zero noise.

So, I slowly added back in the streaming rig. Then the subs. Then the conditioning and SnubWay. Still, no noise. After all was said and done? Here I am listening to the transport with the clock for the first time, the streaming rig is back with no noise, everything is plugged back in and the system is sounding excellent.

Lesson learned. I pride myself on my troubleshooting skills but no matter how much experience one may have? Others may still have more. Jonny taught me something I would have never guessed in a million years.

Back to musical bliss! So, what did I do to my rig today? Well, I resurrected it and now I will be listening to blissful music for the rest of the evening. Thanks Jonny!

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,192
    treitz3 wrote: »
    So, I have figured out what the issue was. Of all things? A BNC to RCA adapter.

I hope I remember this the next time I have a noise issue. Will be an easy troubleshooting target.

Glad everything is back up and running.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • treitz3
    edited July 18
    The best thing one can do is order or aquire the correct connection to begin with.

Thanks. I am so glad to be back in the game. This past week has s*ck*d donkey dongleberries.

Correction on the post you quoted. The digital cable was directional and it was actually a BNC to BNC, with the adapter coming out of the transport RCA to BNC to the BNC/BNC Boomslang.

How the heck that a (less than) one inch component wreaked so much havoc on my rig is still bewildering but I have been surprised at less before. Things are what they are.

Thanks again. Glad to be back listening!

Tom
  • treitz3
    My son shot his legs up when he heard the lastest and greatest. (Actually old school)

LOL.

Dynamics are awesome.

Tom
  • treitz3
    The one who disagreed? He/she will hold himself back along their own audio journey.

More power to whatever it is....

Tom
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 335
    Yeah, I hate those adapters - never trust 'em to pass signal w/o effing something up. Glad you got it resolved - had to be making you crazy!
  • treitz3
    In hindsight? I am actually GLAD it happened. The sound I am getting now is, oh so good.

It is nice to just sit back and enjoy the tunes once again. Tonight, I will be hosting a friend of mine, the likes of which I have not seen since I was 8 or 9 years old. He will be listening to the rig, along with his wife.

Should be a great time for all!

Tom
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,337
    By now it's no secret.....I installed a trio of VR3 power cables into my 2ch rig: source, AVP and amp. Result??? Added volume, cleaning of the spaces in the music, accentuating the bass.

Vr3 cables are, highly recommended!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 767
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Vr3 cables are, highly recommended!

I want to try his cables on my source components, but I really need to get a better power conditioner first. I'm using an old Monster power conditioner now. The only thing good about it is the switch on the front. I think it's the bottleneck that is preventing me from realizing any changes different source power cables might provide.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,933
    Take a look at Furman.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Today, added a second set of hockey pucks under the mains. This raised the tweeter much closer to ear level but the bigger surprise was the increase in the bass.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • treitz3
    What speakers are you rocking?

Tom
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,648
    Considered selling the rest of it off.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited August 28
    treitz3 wrote: »
    What speakers are you rocking?

Tom

The Kanta No 2's. Really been digging 2ch with them.

• Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 935
    edited August 30
    I refinished some Sansui SP2000 and upgraded the crossovers.

0y022swifluu.jpg

cgvis2aai008.jpg

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,324
    Wardsweb wrote: »
    I refinished some Sansui SP2000 and upgraded the crossovers.

0y022swifluu.jpg

cgvis2aai008.jpg

WHAT!! No XO pictures? Well this should be in the "you're doing it wrong" thread.... :D:D

The outside looks very nice !
  • treitz3
    If memory serves me correctly, this is the set my buddy Kelley had way back in the day (early 80's). We used to play vinyl on that set of speakers all the time and when playing Kenny Rogers song, "Lady"? That was one of the most textured and realistic voices I had heard to date.....and in all of my travels, I have not heard another speaker do his voice so well.

Tom
  • Wardsweb
    edited August 30
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

WHAT!! No XO pictures? Well this should be in the "you're doing it wrong" thread.... :D:D

The outside looks very nice !

I didn't think replacing old electrolytics with film caps was very interesting.

If you're into tech, this upgrade on a pair of Spatial M3 669 Turbo S is more interesting.

Original
    0ar50uw76bxb.jpg

Upgrade
    7fcuu6ouotsv.jpg
    Post edited by Wardsweb on
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,324
    Just some friendly elbow nudging Luther. 😉 Those above are nice.
    Yep some of my older speakers the XO was stupid simple, cap, inductor, done, nothing to see here.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 784
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Considered selling the rest of it off.

What are you replacing it with?
    2ch rig: Speakers: Magnepan LRS w/Magna Riser stands Preamplifier: Parasound P5 Amplifier: Parasound A23 CDP: Pioneer DV-563A Cables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)

Standby: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress mods
  • Wardsweb
    I did some rearranging and find that I am running out of room.

vknenoqgjna3.jpg
  • I had to do some repair work on my turntable, it has an air bearing platter and tonearm and there was a leak in the arm hose. It's not an easy table to lift so I got a crane to help put it back.

f2v0bi5jva66.jpg
  • treitz3
    I had to pack up the prototype cables I have been auditioning from Jonny (Snake River Audio) over the past month or so. What wonderful cables!!! Holy smokes batman...

Anyhoo, the rig developed a slight background whistle type sound. I had not ever heard this sound before, so I did some troubleshooting and found out it was coming from the preamplifier/power supply for said pre. Both are tubed, so instead of rolling tubes and trying to determine which tube (or tubes) were the culprit?

I took both pieces out, lifted the hood on both and took out the tubes one by one. I lightly tapped the glass of each tube (holding the tubes at an angle) a couple of times. I rotated the tube 180 degrees and did the same thing.

After reinserting all of the tubes and putting everything back together? No more unwanted artifact/whistle.

Also polished the "bell", as you guys call it.

Now back to listening before cooking tonight's dinner.

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,660
    edited September 16
    53999898835_bf9fc72078_b.jpg

My son built me a pair of Silbatone cabinets a la
    https://jelabs.blogspot.com/2019/04/a-visit-to-j-robs-and-silbatone-755a.html

I finally got around to cutting the baffles and loading them with (quite vintage) Pioneer PIM-8/PIM-20A (Altec "Biflex"-style) drivers this weekend. Wiring is strictly temporary as I still need to source and install terminals. :blush:

https://audio-heritage.jp/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/unit/pim-20a.html

Now hooked to the SE 2A3 amplifier and awaiting a block of time to give a listen.

jn3vhmvosm5p.png
    image from https://rutcho.com/speaker_drivers/pioneer_pim8l/pioneer_pim8l.html
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    fbd163mhxsbz.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 767
    My turntable rig has been on the back burner since I introduced a streamer to my system, but my internet quit working, so I couldn't stream for a while. Last night I added an isolation platform under the turntable and I am blown away by how much it improved the sound quality. I thought my analog setup was near critical mass, but this isolation really improves the retrieval of details, channel separation, and the sound stage is more in focus. Amazing what a slab of butcher block and four dollar store rubber balls can do!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,144
    edited September 20
    Drove down to PS Audio to pick up my P1000.
    Gonna put her back in the system tonight and take out the Monster 3500.

5tcb5z7f4taq.jpeg
    Post edited by skipshot12 on
  • treitz3
    Interesting. All of those outlets but with a 15 amp IEC PC. :o

Tom