What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 757
    @Wardsweb Wow! The wood on those speakers is really pretty! Nice rig!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 932
    newbie308 wrote: »

Thank you.

0od7bzaamhe8.jpg
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,594
    Wardsweb wrote: »

Thank you.

0od7bzaamhe8.jpg

Hey Ward, are those custom cabinets filled Altec horns/drivers or something else?
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,926

Thank you.

0od7bzaamhe8.jpg

I don't know but let's quote the photo again. Third times a charm.
  • billbillw
    Clipdat wrote: »

I don't know but let's quote the photo again. Third times a charm.

Normally, I do edit those out, but these are so pretty, why not keep it going?
    I find it more annoying to see posts from certain forum members that have a signature that takes up half a page, or, a certain someone who doesn't seem to understand how to use the enter/return key and uses it after every line.

• Clipdat
    Haha. Yeah, good point about the wall of text signatures.
  • Wardsweb
    billbillw wrote: »
    Hey Ward, are those custom cabinets filled Altec horns/drivers or something else?

Altec 802-8G fitted on 511 horn, JBL 077 tweeter and JBL 2235H woofer
  • billbillw
    edited July 1
    billbillw wrote: »

Altec 802-8G fitted on 511 horn, JBL 077 tweeter and JBL 2235H woofer

I think you and my brother cruise the same horn/SET shopping channels. He's RadioX over at AK.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,119
    @Wardsweb beautiful setup. Is that a Clearaudio tt with an SME arm?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Wardsweb
    jdjohn wrote: »
    @Wardsweb beautiful setup. Is that a Clearaudio tt with an SME arm?

Clearaudio Champion II, SME 309 arm and Dynavector XV-1 cart. Also have a Benz Micro Glider as a backup.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,119
    Wow...I kinda nailed that :) Very nice! B)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,341
    Today, I turned it on and let it all warm up. Several hours later, it was clear that I would not hear even a single note played, so I dejectedly turned it all off.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,501
    Today, I turned it on and let it all warm up. Several hours later, it was clear that I would not hear even a single note played, so I dejectedly turned it all off.

I understand
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • newbie308
    So, I have been wanting to run a dedicated 20A 120v line to my amplifier for a while, but it's a nightmare to get wire pulled from my listening room (upstairs second floor) to the breaker panel in the basement. I had been planning to do this for at least a year, so knowing that I had a long weekend, I ordered everything to do this. The wire is something I found on Ebay. It's a 12-3 oxygen free copper, silver plated conductors, with Teflon insulation. The wire is aircraft rated and at 600v 200c, so 120v is a cake-walk for it. The termination is a hospital grade hanging receptacle, and a brand new 20A breaker at the panel. What I'm hearing is by far the greatest improvement I have heard from my system to date. Wow! I should have done this a long time ago!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,567
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,769
    So, I have been wanting to run a dedicated 20A 120v line to my amplifier for a while, but it's a nightmare to get wire pulled from my listening room (upstairs second floor) to the breaker panel in the basement. I had been planning to do this for at least a year, so knowing that I had a long weekend, I ordered everything to do this. The wire is something I found on Ebay. It's a 12-3 oxygen free copper, silver plated conductors, with Teflon insulation. The wire is aircraft rated and at 600v 200c, so 120v is a cake-walk for it. The termination is a hospital grade hanging receptacle, and a brand new 20A breaker at the panel. What I'm hearing is by far the greatest improvement I have heard from my system to date. Wow! I should have done this a long time ago!

I hope you mean 12/2 with ground. 12/3 would have 4 conductors.
    And plain Romex is also rated for 600v, just in case you didn't know.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,870
    Did some reconfigured of the rig incoming power supply on the streaming portion of the rig. I lost the Richard Grey Power Supply and swapped it out with an AQ Niagara that has been sitting in a closet for what seems to be about a year or so ago.

This required that I change out one of the connectors on the SRA Cottonmouth from a 20 amp C-19 to a regular IEC connector. It also allowed me to move the Snubway to the outlet that feeds the AQ. That brings it closer to the power source, right before it powers the streaming portion of the system. After swapping everything out, I powered the system back on.

She is warming back up now.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • newbie308
    @WilliamM2 what you said is true for Romex, but this is not Romex. It is 12-3 cable with Teflon insulation on all three stranded conductors and an overall Teflon jacket. It's similar to SOOW 12-3 cord than Romex, but much stiffer than SOOW.

Dan
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,239
    @WilliamM2 what you said is true for Romex, but this is not Romex. It is 12-3 cable with Teflon insulation on all three stranded conductors and an overall Teflon jacket. It's similar to SOOW 12-3 cord than Romex, but much stiffer than SOOW.

Dan

Okay but the question was, is it 12/3 with ground which would have two positive cables, neutral and ground. Are you calling it 12/3 because it has 3 12ga cables, positive, neutral and ground?
  • WilliamM2

Dan

Got a link? I've never used stranded wire to outlets, don't think I would trust the connections to screw terminals or wire nuts.
    Does it meet code?
  • pitdogg2
    edited July 6
    WilliamM2 wrote: »

Dan

Got a link? I've never used stranded wire to outlets, don't think I would trust the connections to screw terminals or wire nuts.
    Does it meet code?
    Meets code here, it's all they use(stranded individual conductors) at work now. It pulls through conduit much easier than solid.

• newbie308
    @WilliamM2 the cable has three conductors. There's no bare copper wire, just three insulated conductors. There are no wire nuts in this run, and the hospital grade hanging receptacle is suitable for stranded conductors.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,348
    edited July 6
    @WilliamM2 the cable has three conductors. There's no bare copper wire, just three insulated conductors. There are no wire nuts in this run, and the hospital grade hanging receptacle is suitable for stranded conductors.

Did you twist it? Some people twist it to help eliminate noise. Three separate conductors is actually the better way to go over romex style.
  • pitdogg2
    edited July 6

That would be 12-2 with ground, no matter which jacket material it's made from. You just happen to have an insulated ground wire.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,348
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

That would be 12-2 with ground, no matter which jacket material it's made from. You just happen to have an insulated ground wire.

I thought he was using individual conductors instead of a jacketed wire like Romex.
  • WilliamM2

Is there a link? I'd like to check it out.
  • Clipdat

Congrats on your upgrade! 20a dedicated circuit is a must.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 781
    Severe weather forecasted here for the next few days, so I unplugged everything.
    2ch rig: Speakers: Magnepan LRS w/Magna Riser stands Preamplifier: Parasound P5 Amplifier: Parasound A23 CDP: Pioneer DV-563A Cables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)

Standby: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress mods
  • newbie308

https://www.ebay.com/itm/296124364484

This is what I used. I think they only have one 23 foot length remaining.
  • pitdogg2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/296124364484

This is what I used. I think they only have one 23 foot length remaining.
    Looks like there's another.
    I do not see in any of the descriptions about oxygen free. It does appear to be nice wire however.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305372370403?