What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,795
    The Oppomod I2S card arrived today for the 103D. Going to try this option to feed the Directstream. I wish the Marantz had this feature, bit will obviously need to use the Oppo as the transport if all works out. So far the Directstream has been sounding very good but I need to exploit this feature before I can give it a final verdict.

0t8yu4ohid99.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,931
    Tried the Luxman tube pre and amp combo. CL-38uC and MQ-88uSE.
    megcoop3k8hk.jpg
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,115
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Tried the Luxman tube pre and amp combo. CL-38uC and MQ-88uSE.

and I bet it gets high marks . . . rock On
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Clipdat
    I might not be able to go back to solid state. :#
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    I might not be able to go back to solid state. :#

You call this a review? Come on man….
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gmcman
    edited May 16
    I put the Oppo 103D under the knife for the Oppomod I2S board. Easy to do, just tedius getting the mounting holes drilled in the right spot, then filing the opening for the HDMI socket after drilling the opening.

4d1s86isvkcv.jpg

a8apubhcwick.jpg

2rin27tjl4m1.jpg

u02298dnya5w.jpg

d9yd95z7rksq.jpg

The next time I'm inside the Oppo, I might widen the RH side a tiny bit..but OK for now. I bought it used and it had a few scuffs on it, but I have no idea where these marks came from as I taped it before I started...grrr.

oa2j8kaq5ovo.jpg

I have been using a Nordost Silver Shadow digital coax the past week to feed the Directstream from the Marantz SA8005. This has resulted in a better overall SQ than the SA8005's analog out to the preamp, but didn't blow me away, the vocals however have been wonderfully rendered through the DS.

After the install, I tried a few redbook CD's to ensure all was working and I was immediately surprised at the separation of instruments and vocals, on a level I haven't experienced from my gear. The DS shows PCM with redbook but I need to verify if that is correct. Either way, this is so far the most clarity of vocals I have heard, everything gets out of the way.

SACD stereo from the 103D does show DSD 64 1-bit on the DS and also sounds fantastic. Currently I am using an older AQ Forest HDMI cable for the I2S, not the best cable but will try a few others.

I have also noticed improvent from the Aries Mini streamer into the DS via USB over the SA8005, and while the DS converts all the inputs to DSD, the I2S is surely on a different level. In my brief experience it appears it's the best way to utilize the DS.

6iurszz9e37l.jpg

u9lgzilfiug1.jpg

I have to wait till the house is awake to turn it up but so far I think the DS might be here to stay....more to come.

Post edited by gmcman on
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,457
    edited May 16
    Nice I2S mod.

I've been feeding my DAC's PCM and DSD via I2S since 2012. My first DIY I2S out player mod was a Denon 3910.

Now I use Roon to convert everything to DSD512 to DAC.

m0kndmq9831g.jpg

Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    edited May 31
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    I dipped my foot into the world of SET amplifiers. I've been enjoying 8 glorious watts of 300b power. No problem at all driving my 87db sensitivity Usher bookshelf speakers.

Really digging it so far!

If I ever decided to get back into tubed audio gear the 300b route would be the only way I'd go.

• Clipdat
    edited May 31
    It's certainly a different presentation than my EL34 and KT88 tube amps. I hesitate to call one tube/amp "better" than another, they're all just different and have their own character and performance attributes.

The 300b has more midrange "bloom" and greater realism with vocals and instruments, in my limited experience. The mids are expansive and deep, with plenty of motion. Just about perfect tonality too. Really nice stuff.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,822
    That amp is gorgeous!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • bcwsrt
    What you got goin' on there, @pitdogg2?!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • pitdogg2
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    What you got goin' on there, @pitdogg2?!

Super secret XO mod.....
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 762
    I compared a Jolida JD-9 (factory stock) to the internal preamp on my Threshold SL-10. It was no comparison at all. The clarity, frequency range, and musicality of the SL-10 was so far superior to the JD-9 that it made me laugh as I was disconnecting the JD-9 to box it back up. Wow! I was surprised. I had read so many good reviews about the JD-9 and my expectations were smashed by its lackluster performance.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,884
    What tubes were in the JD-9?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 762
    I don't know what tubesare in it. Whatever is stock. I didn't lift the lid. I know that there are a lot of upgrades that can be done, and I may explore that avenue. As is, with a LOMC cartridge, the background noise and loss of fidelity was too blatant for me to enjoy what I was hearing.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • gmcman
    My first time with a Revelation Audio Labs cable, I added their Prophecy CryoSilver Reference HDMI i2s digital link cable from the modded Oppo 103 to the Directstream. I'll make a seperate post on the cable but...wow. I've only used a few silver cables but my thought process on them being "bright" has changed, especially when you get one that performs like this.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    Copper donuts mod B)
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • bcwsrt
    I continue to be impressed with the Degritter Mark II, which I wrote about some pages ago here. This is the filter after cleaning the half dozen brand new high-end pressings I got at AXPONA. No wonder they were all so quiet on the first play.

Coming up on 200 runs, so just about time for the first cleaning with 10% acidity vinegar, per the latest guidance from Degritter. Been 100%, so far.

7oiocmmz25qf.jpeg
    Brian

• pitdogg2
    Brah, you sure that is not the ear plug you used on our last shooting adventure?

YIKES!!
  • bcwsrt
    The last thing I shot with you was BS at Kuma’s Corner!

Brian

• pitdogg2
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    The last thing I shot with you was BS at Kuma’s Corner!

I'm still cleaning my shoes...💩
  • treitz3
    So, not what I did to my stereo rig today......this is more so what I am planning on accomplishing. Those of you who have read about my acoustical panels know that I love just about every aspect of them but one thing has bewildered me and I can't quite put my finger on why.

Over the next couple of hours, I am going to remeasure the location of the speakers, in relation to the listening spot, check toe in, levelness, and the percentage of where I am at in relation to Jim Smith's "magic" starting ratio of 0.83 (for ear to tweeter/tweeter to tweeter distance).

Gonna try to figure out why that center image went from being able to "see" the lips and face of a singer (dead center) to something a tad bit smeared after the panel installation. I haven't moved anything or added anything to the streaming rig (other than another SR PC - which helped but did not solve this issue).

I want that image I had back. Along with everything else the panels have offered me.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,896
    edited June 6
    Ear wax buildup. :)
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Digital cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2 bnc, Tellurium Q aes, Silnote Audio Poseidon Signature 2 bnc
    Puritan PSM156
  • treitz3
    Could be....but I doubt it. I think I have found the culprit already.

Tom
  • treitz3
    So, it has been an hour of listening to demo tracks and reference tracks and I can say wholeheartedly and without reservation that the acoustical panels had nothing to do with the smearing of said center image.

I will explain this on the acoustical panels thread I created, sometime this weekend when I can find the time. Right now, just listening.....and enjoying the fact that I found out what the issue was.

It only took me about 30 minutes to figure out what the issue was. About an hour plus (maybe two) to correct it and listening is back to bliss.

Tom
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    edited June 6
    Make sure you submit your results in proper, unbiased scientific format to ASR for peer review.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    Measurements "while important", are not the be all to end all. They are more than welcome to go.....never mind. I will keep it civil here.

In this case? It was actually measurements that led me to the issue. It will all be explained on the acoustical panel thread I started.

A 16 point laser led me straight to the issue. From there? It was (time consuming) but an easy fix.

Here is a teaser...

d0vtn9kqw0af.jpg

That line should be visible all of the way to the top of the room. This is what led me to the issue. Again, it had NOTHING to do with the acoustical panels.

Tom
  • bcwsrt
    Glad you got it sorted out, Tom! Looking forward to your follow-up post this weekend!

Brian