What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    Where is this?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options
    My only question, what is it sitting on? It has a pioneer logo.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Where is this?

The Record Exchange - StL, MO
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    My only question, what is it sitting on? It has a pioneer logo.

Just an empty Pioneer stereo rack.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options
    I have known people who have "drilled" holes in high-end antiques that didn't have any holes, especially those pieces from Europe.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    I have known people who have "drilled" holes in high-end antiques that didn't have any holes, especially those pieces from Europe.

Yep, trying to imitate those of the powder post beetle.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    Where is this?

The Record Exchange - StL, MO

Holy crap....I was thinking that all along. I’ve bought a TON of vinyl there over the years...

I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    Yeah, the building used to be a library.

Massive selection of LPs, 45s, CDs, cassettes. Tons of used gear also.

• jbreezy5
    Options
    ^^^^^ I want this! ^^^^^

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    I see nothing to play them on.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• 55SLA70
    55SLA70 Posts: 45
    Options
    DividedSky wrote: »
    eg58u8lyuyfc.jpeg
    cjzdewcwj1ir.jpeg

A couple of examples here

Is this wood Ambrosia Maple? If so, I believe the worm holes are part of the package sold to you. If you look at the bottom photo you see a discolored streak in front of and behind the holes. Whatever bored into there brought some minerals with it that, in turn, caused the discolored streak. Many years ago somebody obviously decided that this was marketable and started selling it as Ambrosia Maple. The streaks are not as dramatic on your shelving as the translucent stain tends to hide them. I have a Mapleshade turntable platform, made of Ambrosia Maple with worm holes, and it due to it's clear finish, the streaks are more apparent. I purchased this about 10-12 years ago and I believe Mapleshade's website mentioned the Ambrosia Maple's wormhole/streaking issue . I haven't check to see if it still mentions that, but I believe I knew what I was getting when I ordered my platform. Does it make it more visually attractive. Quite frankly, I could take it or leave it. As the cliche goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Old Name: 55LS70Preamp: Decware CSP3 w/ 1 x Amperex 7308, 2 x Amperex 6922's, 1 x RCA 5R4GY Power Amp: Cary SLA Signature 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA 5691's, 4 X Tung Sol 6550 reissuesAnalog: Rega Planar 3 w/ P2000 motor, Deep Groove sub platter, Incognito tonearm wiring, JA Michell counterweight, Tangospinner feet, Dynavector 10 x 5 cartridge, Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid phono stage w/ 2 x BEL 6922's.Radio: HH Scott 330D tuner with HH Scott Type 335 multiplex. Both modified by Mapleshade.Digital: Marantz ND8006Speaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC'sSpeakers: Polk Audio LSIM 703'sInterconnects. Tuner: Audioquest Black Mamba II's, phono stage: Kimber Kable Hero's, PreAmp/Amp and Digital: Audioquest King Cobra"s
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Interesting:

What Causes The Worm Patterns in Ambrosia Maple?

Ambrosia maple gets it's unique grain pattern from impregnated Ambrosia Beetles that burrow into maple trees to deposit larvae. They carry fungi on their feet into the maple wood, which serves as food for the offspring when they hatch. The residue left behind as the beetle digs into the maple tree causes the discoloration and worm holes in the wood. These trails are bluish or green and give the wood a lot of character once it's finished.

Are These A Concern For Finished Pieces?

The wormholes are not a concern for finished pieces. These beetles typically are attracted to wood that has started air drying. Once the wood is kiln dried, they will not reinfest. Just about any lumber you buy at a hardware store is going to be kiln dried, so the bugs should not be an issue.

Also discussed here: https://www.mapleshadestore.com/airdriedambrosiamaple.php
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,133
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I see nothing to play them on.

If I could justify storing my vinyl collection in a sperate room from my listening room, I absolutely would do this. I just don't know where we would put it.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Got some cool lighting going on. Not everyone’s cup of tea but I like it in some moods

cuig8qvz8h1q.jpeg
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,159
    Options
    I know I'm gonna catch some blow back from this like maybe, "dude, you can't blend timbre", or "what were you thinking??" but I gotta tell you, the sound is pretty friggin awesome.

Back in the day, when popular vote was the RTiA9 was great for theater but not so much for 2ch, I disproved that theory, or opinion as it were (right Ken?). Great detail and imaging, and a bit of an "edgy" feel, they ROCKED.

Then I acquired the 707, great detail and imaging however a bit laid back in comparison, but I dug the intimate detail.

Then, suddenly, I thought, why not marry them?? Got some 12/4 and by golly, wired them together. Two speakers of different timbre share a common channel.

b64bk7qrudzh.jpg

x26v3ecdqlv8.jpg

And there you have it. I may lift the A9 a tad to bring the tweeters to even height.

Stop on by anytime to give a listen!!

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • stangman67
    Options
    I refuse to believe that sounds good/ right but if you love it, that’s all that matters!

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited March 2022
    Options
    It's cool Stangman, but you gotta hear it to know for sure :)

And by the way, are you there in WA? Our buddy Ken Brydson is south of Seattle and I was recently in Ruston. Back home now in good 'ol San Antone.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • stangman67
    Options
    Nope, unfortunately i am in the swampy town of Norfolk, VA. You know military and all. I dream of the day I live back in Washington

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,341
    Options
    Geoff, when the image shifts (and it will) you are experiencing lobing at an extreme level. The only way to get rid of this is to go back to one speaker.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • stangman67
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    b64bk7qrudzh.jpg
    italian-spiderman-shocked.gif

seriously almost made me choke on my beer!

• Geoff4rfc
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Geoff, when the image shifts (and it will) you are experiencing lobing at an extreme level. The only way to get rid of this is to go back to one speaker.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I appreciate the heads up!

• Geoff4rfc
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    b64bk7qrudzh.jpg
    italian-spiderman-shocked.gif

seriously almost made me choke on my beer!

I'm still laughing!!

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    So am I...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Nope, unfortunately i am in the swampy town of Norfolk, VA. You know military and all. I dream of the day I live back in Washington
    DC, or the state of Washington? Isn't the James River 'delta' swampy, in general?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2022
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    DC, or the state of Washington? Isn't the James River 'delta' swampy, in general?
    Washington state is more like Dagobah...

• stangman67
    Options

Definitely the state. I’ve lived in DC too, no thank you

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options

The James River in VA
    Several years ago, I read this historical account about the size of James River oysters in Colonial times. I will say "James River oysters are very tasty", but I might not eat one that is a foot long.

When Christopher Newport and his exploring party went up the James River in May 1607, one of the foods they were served was freshly boiled mussels, some boys having been sent to dive for them on the visitors’ arrival. The oyster shells in the middens show that for many millennia the Indian practice was to harvest the same locality for several years. The oysters would therefore start off very large—more than a foot long sometimes—because they had been allowed to grow undisturbed for a number of years. But as the harvesting went on year after year, the replacement oysters would be ever younger, decreasing in size until they were not worth bothering with.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA