What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    JBL Synthesis?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    After not having sound for 6 weeks... About to plug this bad boy in

edvyzyi1kstj.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Time to break it in with some baby shark!
  • VR3
    Options
    The bass in baby shark is legit
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

edvyzyi1kstj.jpg

Wow those are cool door bell transformers !! Do the mundorf caps really bring out the DING or DONG?

😂
  • VR3
    edited March 2022
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »

edvyzyi1kstj.jpg

Wow those are cool door bell transformers !! Do the mundorf caps really bring out the DING or DONG?

😂

They definitely can bring the ding and the dong haha

Looking forward to it, I loved the one below this one!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Good grief. Leave it to the boys on the Polk Forum to start talking about ding dongs....

I think I'll slide out now for a stint.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Good grief. Leave it to the boys on the Polk Forum to start talking about ding dongs....

I think I'll slide out now for a stint.

Tom

I prefer Ho Ho's...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited March 2022
    Options
    What is it Trey, tubed pre?
  • VR3
    Options
    ANK R2R DAC 5.1 Pro with quad c coils
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Thanks for that input. While I am looking into other options, I am still going to give the Arcam AVR20 a fair shot in my rig. The AVR30 was stellar until it went belly up. I am hopeful the replacement will be up to par as far as reliability goes...

When using preouts on my Yamaha receivers, yes, that helps the sound tremendously. However, had to remove my B&K 125.7 for repair, and the Yamaha amp, sux!

What the Yamaha gets really right as a pre/pro is ease of use, and large, easy-to-read display. Not familiar with the model you mentioned, though. FWIW, I have RX-V775 and 777.

Good luck with your Arcam replacement.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    The Yamaha CX-a5200 is their top of the line pre/pro. There is no internal amplification.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Don't get the Yamaha. Your ears will thank you and you would just be wasting your time/money. I know they market, "Natural Sound" but they are nowhere close to it.....and IME? Completely underwhelming.

Tom
    The CX-a5200 is a pre/pro. The problem I have had with Yamaha is their amplification, as it is very dry and sterile sounding. Given that I will be using my tube amps and a different brand of 7 channel amp for the rest, I am thinking it might work.

Hey John.
    I started my HT journey with Yamaha. I have now had 2 different Marantz pre/pros since and would highly recommend the 8805A over the CX-A5200.
    In fact, the 8805A is what I currently have running in my theater and it does an amazingly good job with anything I throw at it acoustically. I would even go so far as preferring it when specifically listening to 5.1 mixes of stuff vs listening to the same mixes downmixed to 2.1 in my 2 channel system.

In the end, obviously, your ears are your ears. But coming from someone who used to be a pretty heavy Yamaha fan-boy, go Marantz. You won't regret it.

Hearing this system in person, I agree 10000%
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • treitz3
    Options
    John, I am seeing a pattern here.....are you listening? Amp, no amp aside....empirical evidence/experience speaks volumes and continues building.

I used to run Yamaha as well (pre-pro, amp and integrated), FWIW, so I also speak from experience with a couple of different rigs/configurations. Anyhoo, this is the last I will mention it. It's your choice.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I am taking it all in Tom. The AVR20 needs to get here first. I am liking to sound I get from it and based on everything I have seen so far, the Yammy is going to be a polar opposite. NAD has a pre/pro in their lineup I am looking into now. The M17-V2i...

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Remounted an AT-OC9XLS today that's got about 100 hours on it and she's singing beautifully :) It's a very good Cartridge for the price of admission, ultra smooth and rich, yet excellent detail. I'm tempted to move up the line a little bit ;)

4ix5ii6kyks8.png

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    Audio Technica is, IMO, the Rodney Dangerfield of the cartridge world.....I've put a few on inexpensive turntables and got nothing but good things to say.....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    Audio Technica is, IMO, the Rodney Dangerfield of the cartridge world.....I've put a few on inexpensive turntables and got nothing but good things to say.....

I passed up buying an ART-9, (which by all accounts is an incredible Cartridge) simply because of the body. This latest lineup has a Threaded Body! My old hands won't let me deal with tiny taps anymore :#

• treitz3
    Options
    I have been listening since earlier this morning to entire albums.

Dido's - Life For Rent
    Donald Fagan's - Kamakiriad (currently listening to this one) and Morph the Cat
    Dan Fogelburg's - Pheonix
    Mumford and Son's - Babel
    Eagles - The Long Run (Love, love, love the song, "The Sad Cafe")
    ......and last but not least....
    Bob Segar's - Greatest Hits (Night moves sounded especially good)

More albums to come. It was just a nice day to listen and enjoy the music! It started out raining, then went on to sunny skies and turned out to be a beautiful day filled with awesome tunes. My new (to me) amplifier has me listening like never before and days like today are just what the doctor ordered.

Tom
  • Mike Reeter
    Options

Dido's - Life For Rent

More albums to come. It was just a nice day to listen and enjoy the music! It started out raining, then went on to sunny skies and turned out to be a beautiful day filled with awesome tunes. My new (to me) amplifier has me listening like never before and days like today are just what the doctor ordered.

Tom

You just described about every afternoon at my place during the colder months. Being retired has many perks and very few negatives :)

What Amp have you rolled in?

• treitz3
    Options
    Hi, Mike. It's a Musical Fidelity KW750.

Tom
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    @treitz3 - sounds like you got past the streaming set-up woes?

If so, how do you have it set-up (i.e. LAN, wifi, streaming services being used)?

I’ve been using Airplay on mine, but need to get it to recognize my pc ripped files.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Nope. I haven't even bothered myself with it for about 3 or 4 weeks now. The damned thing frustrated me to no end, so I am taking a break. Using the LP player and Marantz for sources at the moment.

I have reached out to Auralic after sending a rather scathing email and they sent an email back stating that they can get me up and running, that I need to do some more technical crap before they proceed. I'll put it to you like this. I opened up the email, scanned through what they wanted me to do. Flagged the email and haven't looked at it ever since.

One of these days, I'll get back to it. Until then? I am simply enjoying the heck out of the rig as it is. I know it will be worth it when I do get it up because the snippets of the 3 songs that I did get it to play? Wow. It sounded really, really good. With that said, this is my hobby and I worked on it so much (basically a combined 24 hours)? I almost put my fist through the i-Pad. Hobbies should not make you infuriated.....so I'll wait a bit. I am still in my "cooling down" period.

I may just call the cable company and have them set up the router in the stereo room and let the rest of the house run on wi-fi, since nothing else seems to have any issues.

Tom
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    Hi, Mike. It's a Musical Fidelity KW750.

Tom

Dang, Congrats B)

• TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,002
    Options

Dido's - Life For Rent

Tom

You just described about every afternoon at my place during the colder months. Being retired has many perks and very few negatives :)

What Amp have you rolled in?

I am SOOO jealous of you retired folks!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »

I have a px3 rebuilt with a fifty dollar audio Technica cart and a turntable weight running through a carver c-19 modded though a ps audio
    200cx heavily modded through legacy rare bookself speakers and my mouth is on floor.lol
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    Nope. I haven't even bothered myself with it for about 3 or 4 weeks now. The damned thing frustrated me to no end, so I am taking a break. Using the LP player and Marantz for sources at the moment.

I have reached out to Auralic after sending a rather scathing email and they sent an email back stating that they can get me up and running, that I need to do some more technical crap before they proceed. I'll put it to you like this. I opened up the email, scanned through what they wanted me to do. Flagged the email and haven't looked at it ever since.

One of these days, I'll get back to it. Until then? I am simply enjoying the heck out of the rig as it is. I know it will be worth it when I do get it up because the snippets of the 3 songs that I did get it to play? Wow. It sounded really, really good. With that said, this is my hobby and I worked on it so much (basically a combined 24 hours)? I almost put my fist through the i-Pad. Hobbies should not make you infuriated.....so I'll wait a bit. I am still in my "cooling down" period.

I may just call the cable company and have them set up the router in the stereo room and let the rest of the house run on wi-fi, since nothing else seems to have any issues.

Tom

Sorry to hear. Sad to say that certain conveniences of pc-based entertainment are fraught with unavoidable complexities.

It’s kinda like when I was a kid playing a video game was as simple as insert cartridge > hit power switch > enjoy.

Then it became: purchase a disc (or a download) > hit power switch > create username/password/enter credentials > download updates > enter credit card info > buy subscription to get ability to use the $400+ system just purchased > select settings preferences > upload game (up to several hours) > wake up next day > turn on system > play for 5 minutes (jaw dropping graphics > go to work/school > come home order a pizza > power on > download updates > play game. 😂

Makes one want to break ****. But once you get there it’s a pretty amazing experience.

But dang!

Have only heard great things about Auralic. Request for pics and a review once situated.

• VR3
    Options
    I will say that what you described single handily destroyed my desire to play video games.

I did try game pass recently and that seemed to work alot better
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    I just got a new Salamander Archetype 5.0. I really wanted the walnut, but just couldn’t bring myself to pay an extra $350 so black it is. Matches my speaker stands better anyway. I got it put together around 11:00 last night and listened at low volume for about an hour. Very happy with the looks and build quality. I’ll post a pic later.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden