Power distribution and conditioning

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Geez, slamming deal, especially because I could just drive down to you and save $50.

Where was this last week before I ordered the Dectet?! hahah
    BlueFox wrote: »
    All this Venom 8 talk reminded me that I have a Hydra AV sitting idle in the garage. The AV is based on the Triton v1, and is designed to sit on the floor versus in the rack. It has spikes, and I don’t have the stock feet. New was at least $2K. You can have it for $700. Notice it requires a power cord with a 20 amp plug. I will throw in a Venom 20 amp for $50, and another $50 for shipping.

Murphy's Law. :(
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Leave the Shunyata, take the wine!
    verb wrote: »
    Throw in all that wine and you gotta deal! :smiley:

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2018
    On the other hand, I don’t think there was any discussion last week on the Venom 8. :)

However, to change the subject, I also have a Shunyata Cyclops sitting in the garage, and it is upgraded to version 2 of the Triton. It is designed for amps, and was my pet until I bought two Denali to replace both. My other Cyclop is being used for my TV. LOL. Not much current there, but AC noise elimination is always useful.

Spikes are included. Original feet are gone.

This would be a bit more than $3K, so I will let it go for $1K. I will throw in a 20 amp Venom power cable, but highly recommend upgrading it. Shipping is $50.

oaorxuf2wqjl.jpeg
    n1sl06rucj8a.jpeg

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Smoking prices, there.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    If I get some sort of power distribution/filtering product, I want one without antiquated telephone ports, and coaxial ports.
    I learned I NEEDED a coax port for DirecTV*. Read on.
    tonyb wrote: »
    Why ? Just don't use those ports. People still have landline phone service and the coaxial is beneficial for cable tv.

Do you use all the ports on the back of your receiver ?
    Late night viewing BEFORE I ran it* through my APC H15 was nearly impossible. An easy fix but not the solution.

After I shorten my post-move-in "honey-list" (or retire*) I plan to locate the reason for the hum.
    * end of 2019

Enjoy. Tony

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    tonyb wrote: »
    Modern gear is designed to absorb minor fluctuations in power, small surges. It only takes one big surge or a lightning strike nearby to toast thousands, even 10's of thousands of dollars worth of gear. Having had lightning strikes close to my house on a few different occasions, I can attest to the money it has saved me.
    I rely upon aAPC H15 to manage PC for my low-draw gear. If I anticipate (or know) storms pending or we're leaving the house overnight, I depend upon the most effective means - unplug everything including dish connection!

Tony

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    edited February 2018
    "BlueFox wrote: »
    I will say dedicated lines*, power conditioners**, and power cables have given me a tremendous improvement in sound.
    * 3 dedicated 20A feeds! **PC kept my pre/pro alive before we moved in addition to quieter system. Haven't gotten to power cables - I have 2-3 more BIG things to do/buy.
    "BlueFox wrote: »
    My speakers are the only thing that made a bigger difference...
    tri amping my LCR, etc, etc.

Tony
  • Clipdat
    Guys, my PS Audio Dectet arrives today. Get psyched!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Guys, my PS Audio Dectet arrives today. Get psyched!
    I want a full report!!!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    I may have changed too many things at once though, because I'll have my gear on a new equipment rack. Also, I put foam isolation pads under my 703s to angle them down at my listening position/sweet spot, in an effort to get the tweeter & midrange more aligned with my ears.

BUT, I'll still definitely post up some impressions of the Dectet.

Joey_V wrote: »
    I want a full report!!!

• Clipdat
    Haven't had a chance to actually power anything up with it yet, but took a few pics when I unboxed it earlier.

It has a substantial weight to it and appears to have very good build quality. One cool thing I noticed is that the opening of the outlets have little flaps/covers inside them to presumably block dust from entering unused outlets. When you plug a power cord in, they automatically recess and get out of the way.

Tested the grip strength of the ouetlets, and it is firm but not excessive and outrageous like the Pangea unit was. No scratches on the blades of the power cable I used to test the grip strength!

ar0p3clsnrbm.jpg
    jhwr9ozob6ob.jpg
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Haven't had a chance to actually power anything up with it yet, but took a few pics when I unboxed it earlier.

It has a substantial weight to it and appears to have very good build quality. One cool thing I noticed is that the opening of the outlets have little flaps/covers inside them to presumably block dust from entering unused outlets. When you plug a power cord in, they automatically recess and get out of the way.

Tested the grip strength of the ouetlets, and it is firm but not excessive and outrageous like the Pangea unit was. No scratches on the blades of the power cable I used to test the grip strength!

ar0p3clsnrbm.jpg
    jhwr9ozob6ob.jpg

Any hum? :)
  • Clipdat
    That's funny that you should ask that. One of the first things I did after powering it on was put my ear up to it to see if I could hear anything.

I'm pleased to report that it is completely silent!

Hopefully that doesn't change when I actually have things being powered by it though!
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Any hum? :)

• Joey_V
    Cool!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Those plastic sliders on the slots are for child safety. It's code these days in residential construction. Surprised to see it on that product though. I wonder who PS Audio sources the receptacles from?
  • Clipdat
    Bet ya $499.95 that it's Leviton.
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Those plastic sliders on the slots are for child safety. It's code these days in residential construction. Surprised to see it on that product though. I wonder who PS Audio sources the receptacles from?

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    During a recent kitchen remodel, similar outlets were installed. My electrician said, “Now, only the smart kids will get electrocuted.”
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    ^^^^^^^^^
    Drews outlets are different from the child safety ones.

Drew can't manually move the INSIDE protector shields in his Dectec. But I know about the slider covers your describing. They are a great protection at the outlets. Now if they would just make a chew-proof power cord. :s
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    maxward wrote: »
    During a recent kitchen remodel, similar outlets were installed. My electrician said, “Now, only the smart kids will get electrocuted.”

Ha ha! Funny guy.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    @Clipdat, any thoughts on the Dectet?
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Clipdat
    I used it last night for the first time.

Initial impressions that come to mind are "clarity" and "cohesiveness". I only listened to four CDs, but to me my system is sounding damn good right now. I wish a few forum members lived closer, so I could invite them over to hear. Would be interesting to see if they think it sounds good as well.

Anyway, It seems to be doing exactly what it says on the tin, and giving my gear a clean source of power. I didn't notice any flatness or dynamics being limited when I cranked up the volume a bit. In fact, it sounded better when I turned it up a bit and got some juice going.

I've read a lot of reviews on power conditioner based products, so I tried to keep those preconceived notions of what they do out of my head when evaluating last night.

But, that being said, some of the things that always get talked about are the things that I noticed: Crisper highs, more impact in the bass. More decay on instruments as they fade out. A blacker background. <- That was probably the biggest thing I noticed. I'm not sure if this is the way that I am interpreting a "reduction in the noise floor".

I don't think it's going to be an "OMG!" type moment if you switch to one, and I do think it should be priced at $300 not $500. Still, it's worth considering.

Will update with more impressions as I get more time on it.
    vcwatkins wrote: »

• Joey_V
    Interesante
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    Definitely interesante. Also might be worth mentioning that this room has it's own 20a circuit. Only other things on it are two lamps and two clock radios.

Anyway, one of the CDs I used is my own personal test CD I made, that I must've listened to 40+ times by now.

I noticed the additional decay on instrumental songs with acoustic guitar, saxophone, and cello. Also with some vocals. It's a pleasurable audio sensation for sure.
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Interesante

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Excellent, glad to hear it helps. "Blacker background" summarizes my experience as well; although, in my case, it was an OMG moment. Agree on pricing. That's why I jumped on the half-off when it was mentioned here a year or two ago.

The "flatness" some describe must be synergy thing. I've never seen it said of PSA stuff (until Joey), but did see similar comments when reading about the Richard Gray. After buying one of those, I found it to be beneficial - comparable to Dectet and P3.

I used it last night for the first time.

Initial impressions that come to mind are "clarity" and "cohesiveness". I only listened to four CDs, but to me my system is sounding damn good right now. I wish a few forum members lived closer, so I could invite them over to hear. Would be interesting to see if they think it sounds good as well.

Anyway, It seems to be doing exactly what it says on the tin, and giving my gear a clean source of power. I didn't notice any flatness or dynamics being limited when I cranked up the volume a bit. In fact, it sounded better when I turned it up a bit and got some juice going.

I've read a lot of reviews on power conditioner based products, so I tried to keep those preconceived notions of what they do out of my head when evaluating last night.

But, that being said, some of the things that always get talked about are the things that I noticed: Crisper highs, more impact in the bass. More decay on instruments as they fade out. A blacker background. <- That was probably the biggest thing I noticed. I'm not sure if this is the way that I am interpreting a "reduction in the noise floor".

I don't think it's going to be an "OMG!" type moment if you switch to one, and I do think it should be priced at $300 not $500. Still, it's worth considering.

Will update with more impressions as I get more time on it.

Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Clipdat
    You got a Dectet for $250?! Damn, yeah, that's a insta-buy at that price point.
    Excellent, glad to hear it helps. "Blacker background" summarizes my experience as well; although, in my case, it was an OMG moment. Agree on pricing. That's why I jumped on the half-off when it was mentioned here a year or two ago.

The "flatness" some describe must be synergy thing. I've never seen it said of PSA stuff (until Joey), but did see similar comments when reading about the Richard Gray. After buying one of those, I found it to be beneficial - comparable to Dectet and P3.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I'm glad you noticed an improvement. And I'm happy you finally got a component that works for ya! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You got a Dectet for $250?! Damn, yeah, that's a insta-buy at that price point.

Bought 3 at $250

Couple years ago they went on sale, several of us bought them
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    Oh, I didn't mention how it came with superficial shipping damage, even though it was double boxed.

Decided to just roll with it, didn't want to wait for a replacement.

Just call me Murphy.
    verb wrote: »
    I'm glad you noticed an improvement. And I'm happy you finally got a component that works for ya! :smiley:

• Joey_V
    You are very unlucky
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2018
    Oh, I didn't mention how it came with superficial shipping damage, even though it was double boxed.

First the rack, now this. :)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.