Power distribution and conditioning

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    http://www.psaudio.com/products/dectet-power-center/

With all that knowledge yet the internet is still so foreign

Oh shoot... I forgot about the internet search feature. Duly noted and bookmarked in my noggin

Hehehe touché sir
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I liked the vibe and attitude I got from the gentleman I spoke with at PS Audio. He was able to answer all of my questions, and was very friendly. His positive attitude is basically what solidified my decision to go with PS Audio. It's remarkable the influence that good vs. poor customer service can have.

After I get the Dectet going, I'll be thinking about possible power cord upgrades. I've heard that upgrading the power cord for your primary source makes the most impact and difference.

Maybe I should make a new thread for some power cord discussions.

I would first see what the dectet does for you. You might either find it limiting of dynamics or you might like it.

Either way, most people actually say that power cords yield the largest improvement of any cable.

I have not too much extensive experimentation to come to a personal conclusion as of yet.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    It can't be any worse than the $15 Kensington surge strip I've been using the last 5 years.

Can it?
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I would first see what the dectet does for you. You might either find it limiting of dynamics or you might like it.

Either way, most people actually say that power cords yield the largest improvement of any cable.

I have not too much extensive experimentation to come to a personal conclusion as of yet.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    There is a PS Audio Quintet (five pair of outlets, so ten total) on eBay right now. $345 BIN OBO.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Clipdat wrote: »

Nope, PS Audio products, as far as I can tell with my ears, don't limit dynamics, they actually improve them.

As far as power cords go....just like other cables, there's a big difference the higher up the ladder you go. Keep in mind though, what you'll be hooking it up to. Expensive cords on cheaper electronics won't get you what you think it should. Match the cord's cost to the electronics in other words.

If you run mid fi electronics, I'd say no more than 200 on a power cord. You'll get more cord for the buck if you buy used or demo.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • KLapinas
    KLapinas Posts: 608
    So Furman and PS Audio seem to be popular units in the somewhat affordable price range. What are opinions on the Monster HTS-2000 mkII, currently using, and the Reference HTS 3500 MK II?
  • Joey_V
    KLapinas wrote: »
    So Furman and PS Audio seem to be popular units in the somewhat affordable price range. What are opinions on the Monster HTS-2000 mkII, currently using, and the Reference HTS 3500 MK II?

I have the 3500 in my family room... that thing has saved me from unnecessary surges. good unit.
  • Joey_V
    tonyb wrote: »

Nope, PS Audio products, as far as I can tell with my ears, don't limit dynamics, they actually improve them.

I can't speak for all PSA products. But I sold my P5 because it did something odd to my sound, I would not be able to tell on my other speaker systems, but on the main one, it was evident and clear. At low volumes, it sounded better than my standard nonPSA system. But when I turn it up to standard volume, it lost a bit of the emotional component (I attribute that to dynamics) as it sounded flat.

That's just me.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Not just you Joey, your not the first to make that observation. Don't ask me why, but sometimes....yes it does happen. Have no clue as to a reason, call it bad ju-ju with other gear, I don't know. However, it isn't necessarily brand specific either. I've read many comments, similar, across many brands, that mirror helping dynamics and also hurting them.

Only one way to find out though, right ? Give it a whirl and let your ears judge.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Even with manufacturers stating their products are not 'current limiting', these results make you wonder if it's still best to keep the hungry power amps plugged into the wall, and only use PCs for source components and preamps.

Another nod to PS Audio: my used IP9000 was missing its feet, so I contacted PSA about the proper screws to use (size and thread pitch), and in the end, they sent me complimentary feet and screws :) Just another example of their top-notch CS.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894

I can't speak for all PSA products. But I sold my P5 because it did something odd to my sound, I would not be able to tell on my other speaker systems, but on the main one, it was evident and clear. At low volumes, it sounded better than my standard nonPSA system. But when I turn it up to standard volume, it lost a bit of the emotional component (I attribute that to dynamics) as it sounded flat.

That's just me.

I haven't noticed this issue with my Furman. I wonder if there is actually something to that power factor technology.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Joey_V
    dragon1952 wrote: »

That's just me.

I haven't noticed this issue with my Furman. I wonder if there is actually something to that power factor technology.

Does the PFi have the large torroid of the reference series? Does it actually store power to supply at generous amps above what the wall can?

The Torus/Bryston RM15 I am getting tomorrow has this surge of power that it can produce. I believe it does less of the bottle-neck that I felt with the PS Audio P5. The P5 however, did seem to produce cleaner power at lower volumes, but when push came to shove, it seems to fall flat.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    One thing I love about Shunyata is they understand power. They started with power cords, and then expanded into all cables. That is all they do. PSAudio tries to be a jack of all trades, and offer products for everything in audio. Generally, something will suffer with that approach.

Before I upgraded to a Shunyata Denali on each amp, I had a Shunyata Cyclop on each amp. When Shunyata came out with version 2 for the Triton/Cyclop I sent mine in for an upgrade. This meant I had to plug my amps directly into the wall (20 amp dedicated line for each amp). Upon doing that the sound got markedly worse. It seemed to drop in dynamics, but was probably due to lack of noise filtering being done by the Cyclops. I was so glad when they came back as version 2. Putting the Cyclops in between the wall and the amp(s) resulted in cleaner, wider sound. Obviously, the Denali just made an already good sound even better.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Shunyata is definitely legit, and their stuff screams quality.

Just wish it was priced more toward something I might be able to start to think about affording in my lifetime.

BlueFox wrote: »
    One thing I love about Shunyata is they understand power.

• Joey_V wrote: »

That's just me.

Does the PFi have the large torroid of the reference series? Does it actually store power to supply at generous amps above what the wall can?

The Torus/Bryston RM15 I am getting tomorrow has this surge of power that it can produce. I believe it does less of the bottle-neck that I felt with the PS Audio P5. The P5 however, did seem to produce cleaner power at lower volumes, but when push came to shove, it seems to fall flat.

I'm not sure what the PFi line uses to store power but it sure works. My 15PFi is great and I will be buying two more of them over time. I upgraded to Signal Magic Power Cables and MagicPower Digital Reference power cables after I few months. This combo sure works for me.

Here is what Furman says about them.

The Elite-15 PFi, has in excess of 3 Amps of continuous current reserve (over 45 amps peak charge)

The Elite-20 PFi, has in excess of 4 Amps of continuous current reserve (over 55 amps peak charge)

They use "Power Factor Technology" whatever that is. My system never "falls flat" no matter how I push or shove.

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    TNTsTunes wrote: »

That's just me.

I'm not sure what the PFi line uses to store power but it sure works. My 15PFi is great and I will be buying two more of them over time. I upgraded to Signal Magic Power Cables and MagicPower Digital Reference power cables after I few months. This combo sure works for me.

The Elite-15 PFi, has in excess of 3 Amps of continuous current reserve (over 45 amps peak charge)

The Elite-20 PFi, has in excess of 4 Amps of continuous current reserve (over 55 amps peak charge)

They use "Power Factor Technology" whatever that is. My system never "falls flat" no matter how I push or shove.

For the money Furman is hard to beat. I will be getting the Elite -20 PFi later this year to replace my Monster SIgniture 5100MkII.
    The Power Factor Technology does help a system for sure.

Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Joey_V
    TNTsTunes wrote: »

That's just me.

It's a subtle thing... the flatness that I describe. It's not a volume thing but more of a soundstage feel. It's hard to describe unless you were here. Again, only heard on the big system. For everything else, I doubt it makes much of a difference.
  • Joey_V
    One thing I love about Shunyata is they understand power. They started with power cords, and then expanded into all cables. That is all they do. PSAudio tries to be a jack of all trades, and offer products for everything in audio. Generally, something will suffer with that approach.

Before I upgraded to a Shunyata Denali on each amp, I had a Shunyata Cyclop on each amp. When Shunyata came out with version 2 for the Triton/Cyclop I sent mine in for an upgrade. This meant I had to plug my amps directly into the wall (20 amp dedicated line for each amp). Upon doing that the sound got markedly worse. It seemed to drop in dynamics, but was probably due to lack of noise filtering being done by the Cyclops. I was so glad when they came back as version 2. Putting the Cyclops in between the wall and the amp(s) resulted in cleaner, wider sound. Obviously, the Denali just made an already good sound even better.

In a little while, we will hold a comparison between the Torus (if it passes muster at my place) and my friend's Triton/Typhon combo.
  • BlueFox
    What version is his Triton/Typhon. My Triton is v3, and the Typhon is v1. I think they recently came out with a new Typhon. To be honest, I didn't really notice a big difference when I added the Typhon. However, it has been in place now for years.

Clipdat, I don't know what prices you are looking at, but Shunyata offers the Venom line as entry level. I have Venom speaker cables in my HT/spare stereo. I got started on my Shunyata cycle years ago when I put a $100 Venom power cable on each amp (Cambridge Audio 840W), and was knocked over by the improvement. I thought that if a $100 power cable can do this then what can a $1000 power cable do. So I ordered two, and haven't looked back.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    I was pretty much just basing it off the recent shopping I was doing, I was considering this Shunyata Venom PS8 power strip for $700, plus another $200 for the optional spiked feet.

http://fatwyre.com/venom-ps8

Shunyata_venomPS8__33872.1456428157.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Clipdat, I don't know what prices you are looking at, but Shunyata offers the Venom line as entry level. I have Venom speaker cables in my HT/spare stereo. I got started on my Shunyata cycle years ago when I put a $100 Venom power cable on each amp (Cambridge Audio 840W), and was knocked over by the improvement. I thought that if a $100 power cable can do this then what can a $1000 power cable do. So I ordered two, and haven't looked back.

• BlueFox
    Check with The Cable Company. They show list, but offer good prices and might throw in the spikes if the order is nice. Everything is negotiable. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    That's who I just ordered my PS Audio Dectet through, and they gave me $25 below list on it because I asked what they could do for me.

I highly doubt they would throw in $200 spikes just for asking.
    Check with The Cable Company. They show list, but offer good prices and might throw in the spikes if the order is nice. Everything is negotiable. :)

• BlueFox
    Well duh. A nice order would be the Venom 8, and some power cables. :)

Also, once you become a good, repeat customer the discounts increase.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    Here is a used Venom 8 at TMR:

One would think that used venom wouldn't be as toxic as new venom.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Music Direct was running a special on the Venom 8 with the defender plug in module and a Venom HC power cable for something like $899 a couple of months ago.
  • BlueFox
    edited February 2018
    All this Venom 8 talk reminded me that I have a Hydra AV sitting idle in the garage. The AV is based on the Triton v1, and is designed to sit on the floor versus in the rack. It has spikes, and I don’t have the stock feet. New was at least $2K. You can have it for $700. Notice it requires a power cord with a 20 amp plug. I will throw in a Venom 20 amp for $50, and another $50 for shipping.

22fnwzdehzo0.jpeg
    wmsea3q7av23.jpeg

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    All this Venom 8 talk reminded me that I have a Hydra AV sitting idle in the garage. The AV is based on the Triton v1, and is designed to sit on the floor versus in the rack. New was at least $2K. You can have it for $700. Notice it requires a power cord with a 20 amp plug. I will throw in a Venom 20 amp for $50, and another $50 for shipping.

22fnwzdehzo0.jpeg
    wmsea3q7av23.jpeg

Dang its Christmas in February at Buds house.
  • Clipdat
    Geez, slamming deal, especially because I could just drive down to you and save $50.

Where was this last week before I ordered the Dectet?! hahah
    All this Venom 8 talk reminded me that I have a Hydra AV sitting idle in the garage. The AV is based on the Triton v1, and is designed to sit on the floor versus in the rack. It has spikes, and I don’t have the stock feet. New was at least $2K. You can have it for $700. Notice it requires a power cord with a 20 amp plug. I will throw in a Venom 20 amp for $50, and another $50 for shipping.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

22fnwzdehzo0.jpeg
    wmsea3q7av23.jpeg

Throw in all that wine and you gotta deal! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.