Equipment Racks

Comments

• voltzvoltz Posts: 5,217
    edited April 2018
    1st of all I have a VTI rack's and lucky for me it was in good shape!... I have been friends with Drew/Clipdat for years...and he got a bad set over and over and that is the truth! He never ask for what he had to go thru. Lord he had as bad of luck as me I swear.

I recommend switching as Doug did! used VTi would probably be a good thing Herm! you the only dude not from Texas to own more boots then anyone else :)

I've always said" Justin= Just in time for a good pair of Boot's!

I'm hoping my buddy Doug maybe able to brings a pair of SoildSteel racks to LSAF to look over.. heck I may upgrade to them!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • halohalo Posts: 5,091
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Halo, didn't the end caps used to be threaded on? Or were they always glued on? I might be getting two different series of VTI racks mixed up. When I move, I had planned on buying a VTI rack for my HT system, but if something can be bent straight by only a rubber mallet, that doesn't scream "strength" to me. I bought a laptop stand over the internet with an iron frame and after I put it together, it was slightly un-square. Nothing you'd notice if sitting on carpet, but if it was on a hardwood floor you'd notice. Slight wobble. No rubber mallet made on this earth would have bent this frame. It took all my strength to straighten it and it was only a $50 stand. Are they recommending using a rubber mallet on the frame or just on the end caps to level them out?

I had always heard they were a really good bang for your buck rack, but those end caps on Clipdat's rack should never have passed quality control. I know Clipdat is wound a little tight sometimes... most of the time, but they should have made the situation right. I read a thread by SCompRacer about mass loading his VTI rack and he seemed very pleased with it.

I am going to need a two shelf rack for a system I'm building this year for music only. I found a used two shelf VTI rack before all this happened and the seller posted a ton of pictures and everything lined up perfectly. I waited too long and someone else bought it. I'm thinking of putting more money towards a two shelf rack now, but haven't figured anything out yet. I'm curious as to how that Solidsteel will work out for him.

If you read the thread that I linked, you will find the answers you seek.

I am not saying that VTI makes poor quality racks as I owned one for many years and I was very happy with it; so are many others out there.

What I take issue with is Ms. Fang's utter and complete lack of customer service and accountability when one of her products doesn't meet with a customer's satisfaction. I am amazed that she's still in business, based solely on her lack of customer appreciation/service after the sale.

I apologize as I cannot remember if the caps were threaded at on point during the manufacturing process but I doubt it. If you read the thread from 2006, I believe they mention using a punch to get the end caps off and that wouldn't work if they were threaded. @SCompRacer goes into extensive detail on how to fill one of those racks up with lead shot to deaden it. I took his advice on the rack I had and it was dead quiet.
  • HermitismHermitism Posts: 2,490
    halo wrote: »
    If you read the thread that I linked, you will find the answers you seek.
    Cool man. I didn't mean to be lazy by not reading that older thread, it's just after 16 pages of this thread, I was a little shy about opening a whole other thread. :smile:

voltz wrote: »
    used VTi would probably be a good thing Herm! you the only dude not from Texas to own more boots then anyone else :)

I've always said" Justin= Just in time for a good pair of Boot's!
    It's almost all Tony Lama for me! I have narrow feet and they seem to run a little more narrow than other brands I have tried on. I've got one pair of Justin though. Maybe two.

All my boots around my Christmas tree!
    xx9sqecb75fl.jpg

2.0/3.0 - Marantz: PM8005 w/HT Bypass, NA8005 | Polk: LSiM703, LSiM706c | PS Audio: Duet, Power Port Classic, PerfectWave AC5 x3 PC | Wireworld Equinox 7 IC | AudioPrism Quietline MkIII x7 | Sanus UF30 | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps

6.1 - Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pio BDP-51FD | Polk: RTi8, CSi5, F/Xi3, CSi3 | HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 | PS Audio: Quintet, Power Port Classic | DCF124BW x3 SC | Pangea: AC-9SE x2, 14SE, 14 PC | AQ Chocolate x2 HDMI | M850SW | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 5,217
    edited April 2018
    ^^^^
    That is cool B) My Cousin who lived just down the street from me and we did everything together since we are only 3 months different in age . anyways he would only wear Tony's Boots also ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
    halo wrote: »
    If you go through this entire thread from 2006, not much has changed in regards to VTI. forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/46986/vti-customer-service-sucks/p1
    Hey, I started reading page 1, who is "W WALDECKER" and where is she now???

2.0/3.0 - Marantz: PM8005 w/HT Bypass, NA8005 | Polk: LSiM703, LSiM706c | PS Audio: Duet, Power Port Classic, PerfectWave AC5 x3 PC | Wireworld Equinox 7 IC | AudioPrism Quietline MkIII x7 | Sanus UF30 | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps

6.1 - Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pio BDP-51FD | Polk: RTi8, CSi5, F/Xi3, CSi3 | HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 | PS Audio: Quintet, Power Port Classic | DCF124BW x3 SC | Pangea: AC-9SE x2, 14SE, 14 PC | AQ Chocolate x2 HDMI | M850SW | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 6,955
    edited April 2018
    Hey @Tony M I just got back from getting a shipping quote from FedEx for you.

To ship one frame section and shelf to you it would cost $109 if I had FedEx package and ship it. It would be roughly $80 if I provided my own box and packing materials.

So yeah, times that by 5. $$$$.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    It's a man baby!

"Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It's a man baby!
    Who is the girl in the profile picture?

No idea. Settle down man, you're coming across as desperate. :lol:
    Who is the girl in the profile picture?

Me likey.

What if it's his daughter? Calm your raging hormones.

p7RENSR47LBUK.jpg
    Me likey.

She did look older in the tiny avatar picture!

Tell it to the judge!
    She did look older in the tiny avatar picture!

• Tony MTony M Posts: 8,274
    edited April 2018
    WOW. :o

Thank you VERY MUCH for checking on shipping those to me. ;)

That takes me out of wanting to pay that much for your VTi rack for sure. Even if you provided the boxes it would still be more than I want to spend since my 401K is still hobbling around like a wounded chicken. :'(

Man, I really wanted to try and fix it and also give a second opinion review of your findings on that thing.

Thanks again Drew. That was kind of you to give us a realistic cost to try and obtain it. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    I'm telling you, shipping prices are ridiculous right now unless you have a corp/business account. I didn't even want to bother going over there with one of the frame/shelf sections because I knew it was going to be excessive. But I really did spend the time and energy to go get a quote!
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,368
    This rack is rock solid. And the seller is throwing in some Polks to boot!

9i5ujeaz4lpr.jpg

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/d/everything-turntable-reciever/6538152044.html
  • verbverb Posts: 6,833
    DaveHo wrote: »
    This rack is rock solid. And the seller is throwing in some Polks to boot!

9i5ujeaz4lpr.jpg

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/d/everything-turntable-reciever/6538152044.html

pocr76as7t3c.png

Motivated seller. Probably not happy with the isolation between components. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,979
    That rack brings new meaning to the phrase "rock out".
    I just ordered the Solidsteel S3-5 rack from @helipilotdoug. New thread(s) coming soon.
    Well???

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 11,503
    I just ordered the Solidsteel S3-5 rack from @helipilotdoug. New thread(s) coming soon.
    Well???

Please. We don’t need another 16 page thread on wobbly racks. :)

Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    I'm on the edge of my seat!

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 11,503
    LOL
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    edited April 2018
    I'm waiting on a set of these Herbie's Audio Lab "Giant Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders" to arrive: http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm - They were recommended for my suspended hardwood floor in order to reduce vibrations from footfalls from entering the rack.

Once they get here then I'll set up the new rack.
    Well???

• kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,258
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Well???

Please. We don’t need another 16 page thread on wobbly racks. :)

Why not? What else were you doing?
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
  • verbverb Posts: 6,833
    I'm waiting on a set of these Herbie's Audio Lab "Giant Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders" to arrive: http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm - They were recommended for my suspended hardwood floor in order to reduce vibrations from footfalls from entering the rack.

Once they get here then I'll set up the new rack.
    Well???

Paramedics on standby. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,571
    think i'll go with this.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_961S43K/Solidsteel-S4-3.html
    was looking at a steve blinn but almost double the cost my cheap side got the best of me.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    edited April 2018
    Nice. I like those double wide racks! Totally what I would do if I had the room.

Make sure you hit up @helipilotdoug for it! https://www.douglasconnection.com/SolidSteel-S4-Series-Wide-HiFi-Audio-Rack-SolidSteelS4series.htm

Not sure if that's the exact one but I'm sure he can get you any model.
    marvda1 wrote: »
    think i'll go with this.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_961S43K/Solidsteel-S4-3.html
    was looking at a steve blinn but almost double the cost my cheap side got the best of me.

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,972
    My ultrasonic might be on the chopping block Marvin.
  • muncybobmuncybob Posts: 2,095
    Anybody have experience with this rack?
    https://www.sanus.com/en_UM/products/furniture/afv48/
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500, Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Oppo BDP93, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B.