Equipment Racks

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    I think the fact that the columns are one long piece of threaded metal must be great for the structural rigidity of the rack.
    This is the direction I think I'm headed once I convince myself to pull the trigger. I like the simplicity and it's adjustable. And stout.

http://www.mapleshadestore.com/customerphotos.php#prettyPhoto[gallery1]/15/

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    @Clipdat not necessarily...I use lay hardwood flooring and the bamboo that they're using now often ties doesn't look like bamboo. My sister is having a house built now, and, I was there the other day and she handed me a box of planks and asked me to pick out a few I liked. Two of the ones I picked out blew me away, one was bamboo that didn't look like bamboo, and, the other was a eucalyptus that didn't look like eucalyptus. these weren't engineered pieces. I'm not sure how they're processing this stuff now, but, they've reached new levels on how some of these woods are taking on stains. Surprisingly, the bamboo had a grain that resembled a cross between an ash and an alder, very clear and straight. The stain looked like a cross between a rich oak and a rich cherry. Ya gotta think outside the box nowdays.
  • Clipdat
    I was basing my conclusions off their retail price sheet PDF, nowhere does it mention the bamboo being offered in a colored finish.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/57a4acc7f7e0ab3289b844df/t/5911f643ebbd1a075435f685/1494349381113/Quadraspire+US+Retail+Price+List+1705.pdf
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 734
    Really hard to find a rack in L.A. on Craigslist. The recording biz defines an "audio rack" as something 19" wide that you can screw in any number of pro audio goodies used in recording studios like preamps, compressors, etc. "Stereo Rack" usually turns up cheap stuff and/or beat up consoles.
    It's a tough life on the left coast ....
    Living Room (HT):Denon AVR X-3000 ; Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s ; Ascend Acoustics Duo Center ; LSiFX Surrounds ; Sub – Rhythmik F12SE

2 Channel Studio: Marantz PM8004 Integrated ; Marantz SA8004 ; Music Hall MMF 7.3TT w/Ortofon Bronze; Schiit Bifrost DAC ; Monitor 7 Series 2 with RDO 198s; Rythmik F12SE

Don't cry
    Don't raise your eye
    It's only teenage wasteland
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    Edit: Go get your thing!
    Jaybeez wrote: »
    Really hard to find a rack in L.A. on Craigslist.

• Jaybeez
    I saw this ... an exception to the rule. Hoping it's still here when I get back in town next week! Also hoping none of my fellow So Cal Polkies see your post!
    Living Room (HT):Denon AVR X-3000 ; Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s ; Ascend Acoustics Duo Center ; LSiFX Surrounds ; Sub – Rhythmik F12SE

2 Channel Studio: Marantz PM8004 Integrated ; Marantz SA8004 ; Music Hall MMF 7.3TT w/Ortofon Bronze; Schiit Bifrost DAC ; Monitor 7 Series 2 with RDO 198s; Rythmik F12SE

Don't cry
    Don't raise your eye
  • Clipdat
    Link redacted and fingers crossed!
    I saw this ... an exception to the rule. Hoping it's still here when I get back in town next week! Also hoping none of my fellow So Cal Polkies see your post!

• Jaybeez
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Link redacted and fingers crossed!

Thanks! You're a Prince among men!

Don't cry
    Don't raise your eye
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    This is the direction I think I'm headed once I convince myself to pull the trigger. I like the simplicity and it's adjustable. And stout.

http://www.mapleshadestore.com/customerphotos.php#prettyPhoto[gallery1]/15/

Good choice. My Mapleshade rack weighs 500 pounds empty. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    Just to let y'all know, we are now an authorized dealer for some excellent SolidSteel racks and stands. If you are going to AXPONA we'll have 2 mono block systems on SolidSteel Hyperspike HF series racks and amp stands. Visit Room 2-Utopa A, the Legacy Audio/Raven Audio/Douglas Connection room if you are going.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • Jaybeez
    PIcked up the unit @Clipdat and I were discussing above. In very nice shape and a very solid steel frame that you could jack a car up on. 1/2 inch plywood shelves may not be the best, but thinking of adding sorbothane to the corners supporting the shelves. Will elevate the shelves slightly above flush, but may be worth it? Not sure if needed on all shelves or just the top, where my TT will be. Rack will be in my 2 channel room, with laminate flooring over concrete. Pics of the rack, shelf support where sorbothane would go, as well as Amazon link to the isolation tabs. Any thoughts / opinions welcome.
    h1r29xtdv5bv.jpg
    ddz6afvptexf.jpg
    k32icf2ysdue.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbothane-Vibration-Isolation-Circular/dp/B00X6R1CTC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1522706022&sr=8-11&keywords=1+inch+sorbothane

Don't cry
    Don't raise your eye
  • Clipdat
    Woot, looks great! Glad that you scored it! I want it! And gimme some of that bottled water while you're at it!

Can you get some squares, and cut them into triangles?

1414591856.53.jpg

• Jaybeez
    I was actually thinking that might work as well, but not sure how hard the material is to cut.
    You can have all the bottled water you want, IF you're in my 'hood AND there is an earthquake.
    We prepare for these things!

Don't cry
    Don't raise your eye
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,853
    edited April 2018
    i had an older target stand and the top shelf floated on 4 spikes.
    are those 4 holes in the top 4 corners, they may take spikes.
    see if one of the 4 shelves has metal discs on the bottom
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Jaybeez
    marvda1 wrote: »
    i had an older target stand and the top shelf floated on 4 spikes.
    are those 4 holes in the top 4 corners, they may take spikes.
    see if one of the 4 shelves has metal discs on the bottom

All of the shelves are the same I think but will re-check to be sure.

Don't cry
    Don't raise your eye
  • Clipdat
    He informed me that unfortunately he will not be there in person.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Doug, are you going to be at AXPONA?

• helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    DSkip wrote: »
    Doug, are you going to be at AXPONA?

Our cables will be in all 4 systems in room 2-Utopia A, along with Raven and Legacy. We will also have 2 of the systems on Solidsteel Hyperspike HF series racks and amp stands. Wish I could be there in person, but just can't. Maybe next year...
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • Clipdat
    I just ordered the Solidsteel S3-5 rack from @helipilotdoug.

S3-5-web.jpg

New thread(s) coming soon.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,190
    So just to be clear, after 15 pages you went with the one you mentioned in your very first post? Nice.
  • Clipdat
    Close! That was the S2-5, this is the next model up which features additional niceties.
    Hermitism wrote: »
    So just to be clear, after 15 pages you went with the one you mentioned in your very first post? Nice.

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453

The story isn't over...we have to wait for it to arrive. Once inspected and the realization sits in that it's not 123% perfect we'll have to listen to the **** session about his Chevy not being a Bentley.
  • Clipdat
    Wow Kerry, really? You know you don't have to read my threads.
    kharp1 wrote: »
    The story isn't over...we have to wait for it to arrive. Once inspected and the realization sits in that it's not 123% perfect we'll have to listen to the **** session about his Chevy not being a Bentley.

• Hermitism
    I've said it before, I wouldn't want to walk next to him during a lightning storm. That sure was a run of bad luck. If anything, this thread has at least shown a downward spiral of quality of VTI and how they aren't made the same way as they used to be. End caps threaded vs. glued....crookedly.
  • Clipdat
    This. I hope that people searching for VTI equipment racks come across this thread and as a result don't buy their inferior products.
    If anything, this thread has at least shown a downward spiral of quality of VTI and how they aren't made the same way as they used to be.

• Hermitism
    So do you get to keep the VTI?
  • Clipdat
    Anyone in the bay area is welcome to come take it from me for free. However I would feel awful knowingly handing off something of such poor quality to someone else. It would be like a curse to give it to someone, not a gift.
    So do you get to keep the VTI?

• Hermitism
    edited April 2018
    I was thinking you should sell it for the shipping cost to one of the guys here on the forum that works with metal. See if they can bend it.
  • Clipdat
    Not a bad idea, I guess. But I doubt anyone is going to want to pay the $100-150+ it's going to cost to ship this heavy hunk of scrap metal.

It cost me $89 or something to ship the pair of TSi100 bookshelf speakers to the east coast that I Christmas Karma'd on here. Shipping prices are insane right now.
    I was thinking you should sell it for the shipping cost to one of the guys here on the forum that works with metal. See if they can bend it.

• Hermitism
    Do all shelf segments have issues or can you make a two shelf rack out of good parts of the VTI? Or make two separate amp stands, even though one will have longer legs. I remember you said you didn't have room for two racks but is there any sections salvageable?