Equipment Racks

Comments

• HermitismHermitism Posts: 2,490
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Maybe "BB" stands for "Basic Black" (spray paint), "Buffalo Birch", "Beautiful Butternut" or "Batman Balsam".
    Batman Balsam

h8khgvlv9qjo.jpg
    2.0/3.0 - Marantz: PM8005 w/HT Bypass, NA8005 | Polk: LSiM703, LSiM706c | PS Audio: Duet, Power Port Classic, PerfectWave AC5 x3 PC | Wireworld Equinox 7 IC | AudioPrism Quietline MkIII x7 | Sanus UF30 | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps

6.1 - Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pio BDP-51FD | Polk: RTi8, CSi5, F/Xi3, CSi3 | HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 | PS Audio: Quintet, Power Port Classic | DCF124BW x3 SC | Pangea: AC-9SE x2, 14SE, 14 PC | AQ Chocolate x2 HDMI | M850SW | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,974
    knaw-T!
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 6,943
    edited March 2018
    And the seller's response: "They’re very heavy shelves. I’m assuming wood is more expensive that bamboo?"

Yeah, I'm done replying. Fix your auction description.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • HermitismHermitism Posts: 2,490
    I wouldn't want to walk next to you during a lightning storm.
    2.0/3.0 - Marantz: PM8005 w/HT Bypass, NA8005 | Polk: LSiM703, LSiM706c | PS Audio: Duet, Power Port Classic, PerfectWave AC5 x3 PC | Wireworld Equinox 7 IC | AudioPrism Quietline MkIII x7 | Sanus UF30 | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps

6.1 - Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pio BDP-51FD | Polk: RTi8, CSi5, F/Xi3, CSi3 | HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 | PS Audio: Quintet, Power Port Classic | DCF124BW x3 SC | Pangea: AC-9SE x2, 14SE, 14 PC | AQ Chocolate x2 HDMI | M850SW | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,274
    Could be Ash. I think I was told by a master craftsman Ash and Oak look alike but Ash is greyer in color coming right from the tree.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    edited March 2018
    eBay seller sent me another message clarifying what he thinks "BB" means, even though I never replied to his last message:

"If you look on the label it says “BB” which I interpret as black bamboo. How do we figure this out?"

Not sure why he says "we" as if I'm somehow involved or now partially responsible for him figuring out what **** product he's selling.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,963
    edited March 2018
    Black on Black is what I guarantee it means. Black shelves, black posts.

The Bamboo finish is only in standard bamboo (no coloring) and is an upcharge. These are offered in several different finishes.
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,571
    don't worry about what he calls the wood, you see the options on the manufacturers' site. if you like the color and think it's a good price (make an offer) then go for it.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    Exactly. If they were bamboo shelves it would be the natural color of the bamboo.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Black on Black is what I guarantee it means. Black shelves, black posts.

The Bamboo finish is only in standard bamboo (no coloring) and is an upcharge. These are offered in several different finishes.

The price is still good, despite the shelf material. However, I'm skeptical to go with it because I read that they wobble "by design". Not inspired by Quadraspire.

"Recall however that all Quadraspire racks are wobbly by design. In theory, the less you tighten the risers, the better the shelves are at transmitting vibration away from the components. Over-tighten the SV's thicker risers, and I imagine the rack will become more rigid...and sound worse."

"The situation you describe is normal. The Quadraspire Acrylic reference shelves were designed to be loose as you stated. It was part of the isolation designed into this type of rack. The columns tighten down on collars so that the shelves themselves float free. The only shelf that is solid is the very bottom one which has to be solid or the whole thing would collapse. The bottom shelf, however, is not supposed to have a component on it.

It was felt that having the shelves floating gave better isolation and improved the sound. You can test this for yourself by removing the collars from a set of posts and tightening the column onto the shelf if you wish - it is easily reversible if you like it the way it came. I would highly recommend that you not place a turntable on this rack."
    marvda1 wrote: »
    don't worry about what he calls the wood, you see the options on the manufacturers' site. if you like the color and think it's a good price (make an offer) then go for it.

Interesting article I'm currently reading: http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/atacama_quadraspire_racks.htm
  • Jetmaker737Jetmaker737 Posts: 870
    This is the direction I think I'm headed once I convince myself to pull the trigger. I like the simplicity and it's adjustable. And stout.

http://www.mapleshadestore.com/customerphotos.php#prettyPhoto[gallery1]/15/
    System
    Yamaha A-S3000 Integrated Amplifier
    Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers
    PS Audio Directream Jr| Jolida JD-100A CDP | Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR
    I think the fact that the columns are one long piece of threaded metal must be great for the structural rigidity of the rack.
    This is the direction I think I'm headed once I convince myself to pull the trigger. I like the simplicity and it's adjustable. And stout.

• kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,256
    @Clipdat not necessarily...I use lay hardwood flooring and the bamboo that they're using now often ties doesn't look like bamboo. My sister is having a house built now, and, I was there the other day and she handed me a box of planks and asked me to pick out a few I liked. Two of the ones I picked out blew me away, one was bamboo that didn't look like bamboo, and, the other was a eucalyptus that didn't look like eucalyptus. these weren't engineered pieces. I'm not sure how they're processing this stuff now, but, they've reached new levels on how some of these woods are taking on stains. Surprisingly, the bamboo had a grain that resembled a cross between an ash and an alder, very clear and straight. The stain looked like a cross between a rich oak and a rich cherry. Ya gotta think outside the box nowdays.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    I was basing my conclusions off their retail price sheet PDF, nowhere does it mention the bamboo being offered in a colored finish.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/57a4acc7f7e0ab3289b844df/t/5911f643ebbd1a075435f685/1494349381113/Quadraspire+US+Retail+Price+List+1705.pdf
  • JaybeezJaybeez Posts: 709
    Really hard to find a rack in L.A. on Craigslist. The recording biz defines an "audio rack" as something 19" wide that you can screw in any number of pro audio goodies used in recording studios like preamps, compressors, etc. "Stereo Rack" usually turns up cheap stuff and/or beat up consoles.
    It's a tough life on the left coast ....
    Living Room (HT):Denon AVR X-3000 ; LSiM 703 ; LSiM 704C ; LSiFX ; Sub – Rhythmik F12SE

2 Channel Studio: Marantz PM8004 Integrated ; Marantz SA8004 ; Music Hall MMF 7.3TT w/Ortofon Bronze; Schiit Bifrost DAC ; Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s ; Rythmik F12SE

"And these children that you spit on, as they try to change their worlds, are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through."
    edited March 2018
    Edit: Go get your thing!
    Jaybeez wrote: »
    Really hard to find a rack in L.A. on Craigslist.

I saw this ... an exception to the rule. Hoping it's still here when I get back in town next week! Also hoping none of my fellow So Cal Polkies see your post!
    Living Room (HT):Denon AVR X-3000 ; LSiM 703 ; LSiM 704C ; LSiFX ; Sub – Rhythmik F12SE

2 Channel Studio: Marantz PM8004 Integrated ; Marantz SA8004 ; Music Hall MMF 7.3TT w/Ortofon Bronze; Schiit Bifrost DAC ; Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s ; Rythmik F12SE

"And these children that you spit on, as they try to change their worlds, are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through."
    Link redacted and fingers crossed!
    I saw this ... an exception to the rule. Hoping it's still here when I get back in town next week! Also hoping none of my fellow So Cal Polkies see your post!

Clipdat wrote: »
    Link redacted and fingers crossed!

Thanks! You're a Prince among men!

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 11,488

Good choice. My Mapleshade rack weighs 500 pounds empty. :)

Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • helipilotdoughelipilotdoug Posts: 1,226
    Just to let y'all know, we are now an authorized dealer for some excellent SolidSteel racks and stands. If you are going to AXPONA we'll have 2 mono block systems on SolidSteel Hyperspike HF series racks and amp stands. Visit Room 2-Utopa A, the Legacy Audio/Raven Audio/Douglas Connection room if you are going.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
    PIcked up the unit @Clipdat and I were discussing above. In very nice shape and a very solid steel frame that you could jack a car up on. 1/2 inch plywood shelves may not be the best, but thinking of adding sorbothane to the corners supporting the shelves. Will elevate the shelves slightly above flush, but may be worth it? Not sure if needed on all shelves or just the top, where my TT will be. Rack will be in my 2 channel room, with laminate flooring over concrete. Pics of the rack, shelf support where sorbothane would go, as well as Amazon link to the isolation tabs. Any thoughts / opinions welcome.
    h1r29xtdv5bv.jpg
    ddz6afvptexf.jpg
    k32icf2ysdue.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbothane-Vibration-Isolation-Circular/dp/B00X6R1CTC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1522706022&sr=8-11&keywords=1+inch+sorbothane

Woot, looks great! Glad that you scored it! I want it! And gimme some of that bottled water while you're at it!

Can you get some squares, and cut them into triangles?

1414591856.53.jpg

I was actually thinking that might work as well, but not sure how hard the material is to cut.
    You can have all the bottled water you want, IF you're in my 'hood AND there is an earthquake.
    We prepare for these things!

• marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,571
    edited April 2018
    i had an older target stand and the top shelf floated on 4 spikes.
    are those 4 holes in the top 4 corners, they may take spikes.
    see if one of the 4 shelves has metal discs on the bottom
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    marvda1 wrote: »
    i had an older target stand and the top shelf floated on 4 spikes.
    are those 4 holes in the top 4 corners, they may take spikes.
    see if one of the 4 shelves has metal discs on the bottom

All of the shelves are the same I think but will re-check to be sure.

Doug, are you going to be at AXPONA?
    He informed me that unfortunately he will not be there in person.

• helipilotdoughelipilotdoug Posts: 1,226

Our cables will be in all 4 systems in room 2-Utopia A, along with Raven and Legacy. We will also have 2 of the systems on Solidsteel Hyperspike HF series racks and amp stands. Wish I could be there in person, but just can't. Maybe next year...
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
    You will be at LSAF again though, right?