Equipment Racks

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    Hahah, I like your optimism and positive attitude!

I imagine you could make a two shelf rack out of it, sure. I think as you build up the levels, the astounding lack of quality becomes more evident with each level as the instability increases.

But yeah, might be good for little amp stands for someone with enough room for them. Like I said anyone in the bay area is welcome to come pick them up.

@BlueFox I know you want to, don't lie.
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Do all shelf segments have issues or can you make a two shelf rack out of good parts of the VTI? Or make two separate amp stands, even though one will have longer legs. I remember you said you didn't have room for two racks but is there any sections salvageable?

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,190
    edited April 2018
    If I lived there I'd be all over that. I'd turn it into a DIY project and make myself a two shelf rack. I'd take the leftover spikes and mount them on broomstick handles and make zombie pokers out of them.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited April 2018
    Drew, if you could take one shelf to a UPS Store and see what boxing and shipping one rack and shelf section to me, I'd consider paying for the shipping.

You know I have the tools to beat and bend those things into submission. ;)

It would take you taking a section with the board shelf and seeing? I would be a worst case scenario and a possable buyer IF... it would be 100 to 150, even 200 for all the pieces to get here. I would do that.

I hope you find the time, later on, to check out a UPS Store if there's one close to you. You know they do it all for you.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Wow Kerry, really? You know you don't have to read my threads.
    kharp1 wrote: »
    The story isn't over...we have to wait for it to arrive. Once inspected and the realization sits in that it's not 123% perfect we'll have to listen to the **** session about his Chevy not being a Bentley.

You don't have to read my posts, either. Again, lighten up, it's getting old.
  • Clipdat
    You insult me, I respond, and then you tell me to lighten up.

What a strange relationship we have.
    kharp1 wrote: »
    You don't have to read my posts, either. Again, lighten up, it's getting old.

• Clipdat
    edited April 2018
    I'll take one frame section with the wooden shelf to FedEx Office and ask them how much it would be to package and ship it. Not sure when I will be able to, Sunday maybe.
    Tony M wrote: »
    I hope you find the time, later on, to check out a UPS Store if there's one close to you. You know they do it all for you.

• Tony M
    Cool.
    Does FedEx pack things for people like the UPS Store does?
  • Clipdat
    Yep, and in my experience their shipping rates are $10 or so less so I use them now.
    Tony M wrote: »
    Cool.
    Does FedEx pack things for people like the UPS Store does?

• helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    DSkip wrote: »
    You will be at LSAF again though, right?

Oh yeah! Will be at LSAF, Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise....
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2018
    Anyone have experience with Herbie's (Giant) Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders?

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm

giantbs.jpg
    bottom.jpg

Looking at going with these for the new rack. They are supposed to be good for suspended hardwood floors like I have.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    Anyone have experience with Herbie's (Giant) Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders?
    I have seen HERBIE The Love Bug GLIDE past a '63-'67 'Vette a COUPLE of times. But that was DEAN Jones, not SPIKE Jones. :p

(Now, if only I could make a reference to "Candid Camera" and "Man From U.N.C.L.E." in there somehow. LOL)

uljqrmb8bf6m.jpg
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Yep, and in my experience their shipping rates are $10 or so less so I use them now.

I will always use Fed-Ex over UPS. Turns out UPS stores can charge whatever they want. And UPS freight is even worse.

This was all my fault, as I just setup having them ship a pair of Magico S5 speakers (500 lbs) from my house in San Jose to Hayward CA, a distance about 40 miles. They said the driver would give a price estimate, and the driver says, “I don’t know.” I figure it can’t be more than $200-$300 to go 40 miles. They billed me $1200. Yikes!

Fortunately, Magico put it on their account, and I paid them a couple hundred. I despise UPS.

148ciquejbtg.jpeg

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Tony M
    WOW.

The TRUE meaning of "Highway Robbery". I could've flown to you with a friend and personally moved them. The state Gov. should...NOPE, the FBI should investigate this fraudster POS asap.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Well, it is called capitalism. Buyer beware. Live and learn. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Tony M
    The old get what you can while you can by sticking it to strangers huh?

Some of us don't play by that philosophy.

I've been through that debate before and didn't like what I read.

I guess John should've just let that guy keep his player and chaulk it up to "Live and Learn" huh? :(
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    If anything, this thread has at least shown a downward spiral of quality of VTI and how they aren't made the same way as they used to be. End caps threaded vs. glued....crookedly.

Actually, this may be a somewhat isolated incident.

If you go through this entire thread from 2006, not much has changed in regards to VTI. forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/46986/vti-customer-service-sucks/p1

I spoke with Drew about it and Ms. Fang is still in charge & she still claims that the racks are only in need of an "adjustment" with a rubber mallet to make them "square." Additionally, she is not keen on providing excellent service to her customers when one of the racks is actually less than perfect. She hasn't changed so why should her product line or her attitudes about customer service?

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Hermitism
    Halo, didn't the end caps used to be threaded on? Or were they always glued on? I might be getting two different series of VTI racks mixed up. When I move, I had planned on buying a VTI rack for my HT system, but if something can be bent straight by only a rubber mallet, that doesn't scream "strength" to me. I bought a laptop stand over the internet with an iron frame and after I put it together, it was slightly un-square. Nothing you'd notice if sitting on carpet, but if it was on a hardwood floor you'd notice. Slight wobble. No rubber mallet made on this earth would have bent this frame. It took all my strength to straighten it and it was only a $50 stand. Are they recommending using a rubber mallet on the frame or just on the end caps to level them out?

I had always heard they were a really good bang for your buck rack, but those end caps on Clipdat's rack should never have passed quality control. I know Clipdat is wound a little tight sometimes... most of the time, but they should have made the situation right. I read a thread by SCompRacer about mass loading his VTI rack and he seemed very pleased with it.

I am going to need a two shelf rack for a system I'm building this year for music only. I found a used two shelf VTI rack before all this happened and the seller posted a ton of pictures and everything lined up perfectly. I waited too long and someone else bought it. I'm thinking of putting more money towards a two shelf rack now, but haven't figured anything out yet. I'm curious as to how that Solidsteel will work out for him.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited April 2018
    1st of all I have a VTI rack's and lucky for me it was in good shape!... I have been friends with Drew/Clipdat for years...and he got a bad set over and over and that is the truth! He never ask for what he had to go thru. Lord he had as bad of luck as me I swear.

I recommend switching as Doug did! used VTi would probably be a good thing Herm! you the only dude not from Texas to own more boots then anyone else :)

I've always said" Justin= Just in time for a good pair of Boot's!

I'm hoping my buddy Doug maybe able to brings a pair of SoildSteel racks to LSAF to look over.. heck I may upgrade to them!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Halo, didn't the end caps used to be threaded on? Or were they always glued on? I might be getting two different series of VTI racks mixed up. When I move, I had planned on buying a VTI rack for my HT system, but if something can be bent straight by only a rubber mallet, that doesn't scream "strength" to me. I bought a laptop stand over the internet with an iron frame and after I put it together, it was slightly un-square. Nothing you'd notice if sitting on carpet, but if it was on a hardwood floor you'd notice. Slight wobble. No rubber mallet made on this earth would have bent this frame. It took all my strength to straighten it and it was only a $50 stand. Are they recommending using a rubber mallet on the frame or just on the end caps to level them out?

I had always heard they were a really good bang for your buck rack, but those end caps on Clipdat's rack should never have passed quality control. I know Clipdat is wound a little tight sometimes... most of the time, but they should have made the situation right. I read a thread by SCompRacer about mass loading his VTI rack and he seemed very pleased with it.

I am going to need a two shelf rack for a system I'm building this year for music only. I found a used two shelf VTI rack before all this happened and the seller posted a ton of pictures and everything lined up perfectly. I waited too long and someone else bought it. I'm thinking of putting more money towards a two shelf rack now, but haven't figured anything out yet. I'm curious as to how that Solidsteel will work out for him.

If you read the thread that I linked, you will find the answers you seek.

I am not saying that VTI makes poor quality racks as I owned one for many years and I was very happy with it; so are many others out there.

What I take issue with is Ms. Fang's utter and complete lack of customer service and accountability when one of her products doesn't meet with a customer's satisfaction. I am amazed that she's still in business, based solely on her lack of customer appreciation/service after the sale.

I apologize as I cannot remember if the caps were threaded at on point during the manufacturing process but I doubt it. If you read the thread from 2006, I believe they mention using a punch to get the end caps off and that wouldn't work if they were threaded. @SCompRacer goes into extensive detail on how to fill one of those racks up with lead shot to deaden it. I took his advice on the rack I had and it was dead quiet.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Hermitism
    halo wrote: »
    If you read the thread that I linked, you will find the answers you seek.
    Cool man. I didn't mean to be lazy by not reading that older thread, it's just after 16 pages of this thread, I was a little shy about opening a whole other thread. :smile:

voltz wrote: »
    used VTi would probably be a good thing Herm! you the only dude not from Texas to own more boots then anyone else :)

I've always said" Justin= Just in time for a good pair of Boot's!
    It's almost all Tony Lama for me! I have narrow feet and they seem to run a little more narrow than other brands I have tried on. I've got one pair of Justin though. Maybe two.

All my boots around my Christmas tree!
    xx9sqecb75fl.jpg

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited April 2018
    ^^^^
    That is cool B) My Cousin who lived just down the street from me and we did everything together since we are only 3 months different in age . anyways he would only wear Tony's Boots also ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Hermitism
    halo wrote: »
    If you go through this entire thread from 2006, not much has changed in regards to VTI. forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/46986/vti-customer-service-sucks/p1
    Hey, I started reading page 1, who is "W WALDECKER" and where is she now???

• Clipdat
    edited April 2018
    Hey @Tony M I just got back from getting a shipping quote from FedEx for you.

To ship one frame section and shelf to you it would cost $109 if I had FedEx package and ship it. It would be roughly $80 if I provided my own box and packing materials.

So yeah, times that by 5. $$$$.
  • Clipdat
    It's a man baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgLiBm61uAM

• Hermitism
    It's a man baby!
    Who is the girl in the profile picture?

• Clipdat
    No idea. Settle down man, you're coming across as desperate. :lol:
    Who is the girl in the profile picture?

• Clipdat
    What if it's his daughter? Calm your raging hormones.

p7RENSR47LBUK.jpg
    Me likey.

• Hermitism
    She did look older in the tiny avatar picture!
  • Clipdat
    Tell it to the judge!
    She did look older in the tiny avatar picture!