VTI Customer Service SUCKS!!!

Options
hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
I'm about to go to the mattresses with VTI but, I don't want to jump the gun yet and tell everyone NOT to by a VTI rack quite yet. But here are some disturbing facts:

I purchased the BL503 SB back in September and kept it in the original box until today. I opened the box up and gingerly unwrapped each component of the whole. I must say it was wrapped very well and was quite a pain in the **** to get all the scotch tape off of the small bubble - bubble wrap which is a good thing.

But then the horror started.

First off the build quality is so so. If you do not fill this rack with sand or small lead shot this baby will sing its own tune with resonances (plural) whe you start to play music in the vicinity of it. By the way good luck getting the end caps off to do that.

Secondly the 9" frame spikes do not match up with the bottom 3" frame spike holes.

Thirdly, one of the shelfs was warped.

Fourthly one of the shelfs had several chips at the corners

Fifthly the shelf did not firmly fit onto the frame pipes as a matter of fact they are just plain loose.

I called VTI customer service. . . I would have had better comunication using morse code to a 2 year old.

This woman, who spoke really poor english and was very short, snippy, and rude, told me, before I even told her what the problem was, that they could do nothing about any problem I had because I purchased the rack in September. I asked what that had to do with anything and her reply was, "all the time you have is gone." I told her that I had no idea of what she was talking about. I explained the problems and she said that it is my fault for waiting so long to open the box. She said I should have opened the box within 10 days and called the shipper to report damage. I told her there was no shipping damage at all that everything was firmly and very well packed and there was no crushed or dented corners on the box, etc, etc, etc. Next she tells me, at least this is what I understood her to say, to take a rubber mallet and continuously bang on the 9" frame pipes until the points match up with the hole (folks there are five legs pipes on this frame) because the shippers dropped the box and cause the five pipes to go out of wack. She said this, no ****!!!

I asked her what if that doesn't work and what about the warped shelf. She told me that they could do nothing for me. Now as you can imagine by this time I am starting to get aggravated. So I proceed in a very cool deliberate tone to start with the usual unhappy customer lines and what kind of operation are they running blah, blah blah, blah. . . when I asked her for her name, she yelled at me, I couldn't believe it she yelled at me, then told me to call the dealer I bought it from and hung up on me.

I purchased this thing from a ebay store which I have written to and am waiting a reply. As soon as I get done writing this I am going on the VTI website and ripping them a new **** there.

I am gearing up for the fact that I am going to have to eat this and come up with my own solution which I already have thought through. I'm going to place the warped shelf on the bottom where my two heavy mono blocks will flatten it out. I'll bang the five pipes of the 9" shelf with a rubber mallet until they match up. Then I'll take a black magic marker and dab the nicks. I am going to have to figure a way to pry the end caps off without doing damage so I can fill them with sand or shot.

You know what come to think of it, DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT IT IS A PIECE OF ****!!!
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Ruh Roh ... Sorry to hear this ... I had always thought of this outfit as being better then that ...
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Cheap is, as cheap does....................
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,997
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Man, that really sucks!!! It's bad enough when you get a damaged product, but when the manuf doesn't stand behind it that's just not right. If you don't get satisfaction I would rip them a new a-hole & let others know that their customer service is non existent & their products are not worth buying.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Wow, I have two VTI racks bought off of eBay, and both do not exhibit those types of problems! I did take them out and assemble them right after I rec'd them, then carefully repackaged them for storage. Everything lined up, and my end caps I think twisted loose pretty easily. Sorry you're having such bad luck. I would keep working it up until you get to a manager who has a reason to care!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Cheap is, as cheap does....................

Ya see Dennis this is the lesson I learned here. . . don't buy anything off the internet until touching a demo first.

I did a lot of research on that VTI and saw a lot of good things written about it but actually never touched one.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Wow. I've been very pleased with mine. Some of the spikes that screw into the bottom of each shelf were different lengths, but nothing a little matching didn't take care of. It's even been pretty easy to reach around back and swap components without having to rearrange. I will admit it seemed a little chincy for the price, but I thought the design, overall, was a smart one that could handle some good weight without being a behemuth.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I have a VTI stereo rack and have had no problems like that.

Hope you get it resolved.

P.S. -- I've learned the hard way -- when it comes to items over, say $50, ebay usually isn't the place to purchase it. Go elsewhere, spend a little more money from a reputable e-tailer.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Did you ever ask to speak to her supervisor? As a consumer, it is in your right to do so and usually gets their attention. I've called product companies and had shisty CS people handling until I talked with the supervisor who got the problem resolved in no time. Also, all warranties / mishaps may have been negated by the fact that you bought it on ebay and it wasn't affiliated with the company. In that case. it is buy at your own risk.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    shawn474 wrote:
    Did you ever ask to speak to her supervisor? As a consumer, it is in your right to do so and usually gets their attention. I've called product companies and had shisty CS people handling until I talked with the supervisor who got the problem resolved in no time. Also, all warranties / mishaps may have been negated by the fact that you bought it on ebay and it wasn't affiliated with the company. In that case. it is buy at your own risk.

Shawn, trying to communicate with this woman was a chore in itself. . .she kept talking over me and contradicting herself. I can tell you, I am not the type of person who let's people walk all over them. . .I just couldn't break the language barrier and this woman was so stressed out, I could hear it in her voice as well as her interrupting our conversation answering other calls.

I wrote to the distributer and to VTI directly. Now I just have to wait. I just think it sucks that a manufacturer would have a customer service department that would treat a customer that way.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,517
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Uh oh.. and I'm about to buy a VTI rack myself... keep us posted!

Joey
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I bought a VTI rack and at two seperate times bought extra shelves for it and the fit and finish were always very good and the spikes lined up in the indentations on the end caps perfectly :confused: its a shame that the customer service was handled so badly by VTI ....WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I looked at VTI and initially thought they were great values, but eventually bought Sanus from Audio Advisor. I knew Sanus from previous experience.

An audio rack failure isn't a pretty sight.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Quess what product I'll never buy!?!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Don't mess around, call the President of the company, the Vice President, whomever you can get. Also, get their names and email addresses. You'd be surprised, these guys usually like to hear about **** like this. Most of the time they understand the big picture. Be calm but deliberate and relentless in your pursuit of getting this fixed.
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited December 2006
    Options
    By the way good luck getting the end caps off to do that.

I used a small funnel with the outlet the same size as the threaded hole the spikes screw into. With a controlled slow pour, the shot won't jam on the way in. I used an old measuring cup as trying to pour shot from a 25 pound bag while holding a funnel would add some difficulty.

Sorry to hear of your woes. I had no such problems and would buy another one.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Go to their website, click on about us, copy and paste the bullsh$te letter the big guy wrote in your email to him.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Joey_V wrote:
    Uh oh.. and I'm about to buy a VTI rack myself... keep us posted!

Joey

Yo Joey, I was thinking of you today when I was having these woes because I gave you all the info on VTI. . . I was hoping you would see this.

It seems however that this is not the norm. It looks like others have had good luck with the ones they currently own. We'll see.

Joe
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:
    Don't mess around, call the President of the company, the Vice President, whomever you can get. Also, get their names and email addresses. You'd be surprised, these guys usually like to hear about **** like this. Most of the time they understand the big picture. Be calm but deliberate and relentless in your pursuit of getting this fixed.

I'm already right there with you Brother. I'm kind of salivating like a wolf to see what numbskull I'm going to have to deal with next.
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote:
    I used a small funnel with the outlet the same size as the threaded hole the spikes screw into. With a controlled slow pour, the shot won't jam on the way in. I used an old measuring cup as trying to pour shot from a 25 pound bag while holding a funnel would add some difficulty.

Sorry to hear of your woes. I had no such problems and would buy another one.

Hey Rich when you first received the rack didn't the resonances it made kinda freak you out. I did a couple of drum taps with my fingers on it and man it started singing its own tune. LOL I started fearing the affect the SRS 1.2 TLs were going to have on it. If I have to keep this rack, I'm going to do the shot thing but I am also going to encase it in as much sorbothane as I have. . . which right now is loads.
  • dkg999
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Use lead shot about a third to half of the pillar, then fill the rest with reptile sand from the pet store. Worked great on my stands for monitors, and the uprights on my Mye stands for the Maggies.

FYI - I bought a set of Sanus steel stands from AudioAdvisor and one of the uprights had a manufacturing defect. It took a half dozen calls from me to Sanus, and another half dozen from AudioAdvisor and they still didn't ship me a replacement part. AA finally shipped me another set of stands, said take the parts I needed and included shipping for me to ship the rest back to them.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    dkg999 wrote:
    Use lead shot about a third to half of the pillar, then fill the rest with reptile sand from the pet store. Worked great on my stands for monitors, and the uprights on my Mye stands for the Maggies.

FYI - I bought a set of Sanus steel stands from AudioAdvisor and one of the uprights had a manufacturing defect. It took a half dozen calls from me to Sanus, and another half dozen from AudioAdvisor and they still didn't ship me a replacement part. AA finally shipped me another set of stands, said take the parts I needed and included shipping for me to ship the rest back to them.

A little back and forth but in the end GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!
  • dkg999
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Great customer service from AudioAdvisor! Sanus never would or did ship a replacement part. :(
    DKG999

• SCompRacer
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Hey Rich when you first received the rack didn't the resonances it made kinda freak you out.

Yeah, I had expected it going in. By knocking out the end caps, you can remove the rubber plugs in the tubes that seal the holes where the cross bars attach to the tubes. Use some epoxy to seal the small holes in the bottom of the cross bars where they attach at the tubes and then you can fill the cross bars with shot too.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote:
    Yeah, I had expected it going in. By knocking out the end caps, you can remove the rubber plugs in the tubes that seal the holes where the cross bars attach to the tubes. Use some epoxy to seal the small holes in the bottom of the cross bars where they attach at the tubes and then you can fill the cross bars with shot too.

I've got a couple dozen sorbothane pods and some sheets. I wonder if I can deaden it with those?
  • SCompRacer
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I've got a couple dozen sorbothane pods and some sheets. I wonder if I can deaden it with those?

If your like me, you have more time than money....although free time has been scarce as hens teeth of late.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited December 2006
    Options
    This woman, who spoke really poor english and was very short, snippy, and rude,...
    Next she tells me, at least this is what I understood her to say, to take a rubber mallet and continuously bang on the 9" frame pipes until the points match up with the hole.....
    ...when I asked her for her name, she yelled at me, I couldn't believe it she yelled at me, then told me to call the dealer I bought it from and hung up on me.

Maybe you caught her at the wrong time of the month. ;)

Since others here have had good experiences with VTI, I echo their advice and would escalate my concerns to a higher level. Good luck with getting this resolved to your satisfaction.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,517
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Yo Joey, I was thinking of you today when I was having these woes because I gave you all the info on VTI. . . I was hoping you would see this.

It seems however that this is not the norm. It looks like others have had good luck with the ones they currently own. We'll see.

Joe

Thanks bro!! Now I know I got another guy watching my back!

Joey
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Maybe you caught her at the wrong time of the month. ;)

Since others here have had good experiences with VTI, I echo their advice and would escalate my concerns to a higher level. Good luck with getting this resolved to your satisfaction.

She treated me like I had her by the **** hair!:eek:

I am definitely climbing the ladder on this one.

I'm glad you weighed in Raife I was thinking of you today when I was setting up the 1.2 TLs on their wall. I remembered you telling me that you had them set 6'8" apart. Unfortunately the wall I have to put them on has a doorway so I can only get them 6' 1" apart. They are 5' from the side walls. I think my sweet spot is going to be a little closer to the back wall than I would like. I'm sure that some room treatments will help that out.

I don't even know why I am going on about all this, I can't even get the friggin rack to work right! LOL
  • dkg999
    edited December 2006
    Options
    You don't need no stink'in rack! Just get a couple of concrete blocks and a 1x12 and you're good to go :p
    DKG999

• Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Hey Joe,

How did you pay for the item? Maybe you can do a charge-back thru your credit card? It may be too late but I would try to dispute it.

I almost ordered a VTI rack from the same seller.