Receiver with pre outs or preamp

Options
Hi guys some of you know I am waiting for my new to me hca 1500 to get to its new home and I would like your thoughts on what to drive it with. I have a 1977 Lafayette LR-9090 receiver that I installed pre out and main in rca jacks that I will be using for now, I love that receiver. My question is do I use a vintage receiver with pre outs or a vintage or modern preamp? If I go the vintage receiver route I was thinking Marantz, for vintage preamp I was thinking luxman, onkyo integra or Yamaha. For newer I have no Idea, all of you here were such a great help with the amplifier I would like your input again. Thank you for looking. Bob.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Comes down to a matter of preferences is all....and budget. If you want to use a vintage receiver, which are typically warmer sounding, and mating it to a warmer sounding amp like the HCA 1500, you might possibly get an overly warm sound in the end. Of course the speakers and cables will play a part as well.

Depends on many things, your goals.....HT and music, do you need HDMI and modern processing or is this strictly 2 channel listening.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If your gonna use a receiver i would try different ones. Recently i had a amp not being used & then tried a receiver (same brand) & when i used the receiver as a pre - it really sounded terrible. So i ended up getting a preamp.... EDIT-The receiver by itself sounds very good too. Not all receivers with hookups sound good as preamps
    Randy/Maine
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    I have two modern Marantz AVR's with preouts. My P5 outperforms both in all aspects, most noticeably in the bass department.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,339
    Options
    I ran my Parasound amps with the pre-outs from my Denon DRA-835R receiver for a while and it was ok but lacked something. The Denon actually sounds better with its internal amp but I didn't trust it driving the LSi15's.

I snagged a Parasound PLD-1100 and the sound really opened up and I am loving the system. You can usually find PLD-1100 on ebay very reasonably priced. There is a PLD-1500 out there now. Or if you really want to nail it, there is a JC2.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Pre amp all the way. I fudged around with receivers and external amps for years. Receivers will never sound better than a dedicated pre-amp. As for new vs old, I like new stuff, haven't got on that vintage train just yet.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The problem here is that you can spend 1000s if not 10s of 1000s on a modern pre-amp. And if you have that kind of coin, I DON'T, sure, the pre will trounce any vintage gear. Plus, as said ad nauseam, vintage gear needs to be recapped. But even recapping it does not always do what it claims to do because some of the original synergy is sometimes lost in the process or **** with the piece leads to a domino effect where more and more has to be replaced and then even more?

Honestly, I've heard recapped vintage equipment that was noticeably better and some that WAS NOT much better than the original. I think a lot depends on the original itself and a number of other factors.
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Realistic
    Realistic Posts: 355
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys, well I am not a guy with money so I have to chose wisely that's why I come here you guys are great. There are no local techs to recap my receiver so it would have to be sent out. My system is for music only, I have monitor 10s and sda 2s and love them both very much I mainly use the sda 2s though. I like the external blue tooth I have hooked into the old receiver and I have my daughters old apple phone that is loaded up with music its not a active phone I just use it for my music. Everything I own none of you would use I would imagine but here they are. Lafayette LR-9090 receiver, Project one receiver, Toshiba receiver, Harman Kardon receiver, onkyo tx-sv343 receiver, audio control c 101 series 2 eq, jvc kd 75 tape deck, pioneer audio timer, I just use it as a clock the thing is just cool to look at. Sony cdp-xe 500, pioneer pl-200 turntable. Pioneer cs-603 speakers, cerwin vega d-9s, gave the d-9s to my son. Thanks again everyone here is and has been a great help to me.
  • Realistic
    Options
    I have been reading here about the parasound halo p5 is this the one motorhead is talking about? I would love to get my hands on that.
  • cnh
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Parasound pres are very good, but pricey! And, if you look at my current sig, you'll see a lot of vintage gear running. That's not my best gear but I like the sound.

100 or more hours of break in. Sure, I've heard recaps of gear like that let me give an example: I own an old HK 430, and I've heard this unit recapped and fully broken in, not much of a difference. A little less noisy? Probably? A tad cleaner, perhaps. Tighter bass? Hmmm...less bass, certainly. I kind of liked the bass on my unit better, and I wouldn't call it inferior or loose.

Now, have I heard the opposite! Sure, I own a couple of old Pioneers that do NOT sound as good as the same versions with a fairly complete recap. They are muddier, less detailed up high, etc.

• boston1450
    edited January 2016
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    I ran my Parasound amps with the pre-outs from my Denon DRA-835R receiver for a while and it was ok but lacked something. The Denon actually sounds better with its internal amp but I didn't trust it driving the LSi15's.

I snagged a Parasound PLD-1100 and the sound really opened up and I am loving the system. You can usually find PLD-1100 on ebay very reasonably priced. There is a PLD-1500 out there now. Or if you really want to nail it, there is a JC2.
    .. As i state in post above - My Denon POA 2200 amp was hooked to a Denon PRA-1200 & that preamp started messing up. So i hooked it to a Denon DRA-??? & i didnt like it.... I ended up buying a Denon PRA-1000 for 100.00 or so on Ebay & it looks & works wonderful. It also has the wood sides like my POA amp.... Realistic you dont have to spend a arm-n-leg for gear for a budget start up. I got 200.00 in amplifier & 100.00 in preamp. This Denon @220wpc took over the spot of Adcom gfa555 & i am very happy with it. The Adcom set up cost more & now is in closet. Its all on personal preference & budget. Maybe someday soon i to will have the ultimate budget set up that best meets my needs. I have other hobbies :)yt5zk7snqc1c.jpeg

Randy/Maine
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Realistic, you have a lot of thinking to do. That hca-1500 and those SDA's deserve a decent pre in front. In the meantime try what you have and see what is does for you. I would avoid real vintage stuff, but that is just me.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Realistic
    Options
    I am going to check out your suggestions on the used sites, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo and such. I really would like to try a preamp with this amplifier, this amp is my first big buy in audio as far as price and quality so I would like to pair it with as good of a preamp as I can afford say 3-500. Thanks again guys. Bob.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    Realistic, please do yourself a favor. And pay no attention to "raginglunatic". He is our Otis here in Mayberry. While his inexperience in this hobby shows with everything he says....he likes to act as if he knows what he is talking about...just pay no attention.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Realistic
    Options
    All I can say is trying to upgrade my stuff is getting to be very overwhelming, so many choices and mistakes to be made. This was much simpler when I just used my grandfather stuff that was handed down to me from my father. But the pursuit of better sound is fun and I am learning a whole lot from all of you. Thanks again.
  • Realistic
    Options
    That denon set up looks cool, I must admit that I get interested in some gear just by the way it looks. Its hard not to buy some gear that has all the cool lights and what not. My old receivers are like night lights on steroids and I really like it.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    Have u ever seen internals of adcoms??
    And please be specific. . And point any thing mistakes or lies in my posts.

Why yes, yes I have! lol Not gonna be specific at all, because you sure didn't with your blanket statements you think are truth. Like all of your posts, big blanket statements. You are really not helping newcomers to this forum asking for help in finding new gear.

And if you can find me a working P304 for $30. Please message me.

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »
    Realistic, please do yourself a favor. And pay no attention to "raginglunatic". He is our Otis here in Mayberry. While his inexperience in this hobby shows with everything he says....he likes to act as if he knows what he is talking about...just pay no attention.

Have u ever seen internals of adcoms??
    And please be specific. . And point any thing mistakes or lies in my posts.

Please be specific on what Japanese amps you are speaking of
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • boston1450
    Options
    The ONLY reason i stopped using the Adcom is it didnt do well with RTA15TL's. Adcom matches very very well with SDA's. I would love to get ahold of the gfa535.
    Randy/Maine
  • cnh
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So Rager, are you saying that Nelson Pass did not know what he was doing back then? Because that's a pretty absurd assertion. Why don't you take that up with H9 and Raife? I'd love to see that discussion, but it would probably end in a closed thread, alas! Those Adcoms don't have any relay protection and that's why, when you lapse in your maintenance, they blow your speakers. But it takes quite a while for that to happen.

Of course Nelson makes better amps these days, but most are out of our reach! lol

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    So Rager, are you saying that Nelson Pass did not know what he was doing back then? Because that's a pretty absurd assertion. Why don't you take that up with H9 and Raife? I'd love to see that discussion, but it would probably end in a closed thread, alas! Those Adcoms don't have any relay protection and that's why, when you lapse in your maintenance, they blow your speakers. But it takes quite a while for that to happen.

Of course Nelson makes better amps these days, but most are out of our reach! lol

He does have self professed knowledge of blowing things
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • boston1450
    Options
    Realistic wrote: »
    All I can say is trying to upgrade my stuff is getting to be very overwhelming, so many choices and mistakes to be made. This was much simpler when I just used my grandfather stuff that was handed down to me from my father. But the pursuit of better sound is fun and I am learning a whole lot from all of you. Thanks again.
    you got a nice amplifier & be worth the coin for a nice affordable preamp. Im sure alot of us would enjoy hearing it when you get it done. Enjoy

Randy/Maine
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Worth posting again........
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Worth posting again........

Otis, LOL!!!

ke76aldz51zk.jpg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Realistic, there's a Parasound P3 for $682.00 on Audiogon right now.

If you want to get into tubes there is Rogue Metis Magnum for $950.00 and a Conrad Johnson PV-10A for $850.00, although the older CJ gear tends to be very warm sounding.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    edited January 2016
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Realistic, there's a Parasound P3 for $682.00 on Audiogon right now.

If you want to get into tubes there is Rogue Metis Magnum for $950.00 and a Conrad Johnson PV-10A for $850.00, although the older CJ gear tends to be very warm sounding.

Am sure f1 was posting with a confident smile that his post will be right on the money.. "parasound.. warmth, Mr johnson."

Parasound P3 for 500$ on craigslist..
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ele/5396137181.html

There are 300-400$ P3 on craiglists too...

LIke I said audiogon and fleabay are expensive.
    So a good example of me knowing more than many old farts sitting around here for ages.

I'm not a fan of Ebay, but Audiogon is a fine place to buy used gear, Craigslist is ok if your in that area and can go and listen before you buy. If your out of state it's a crap shoot on who your dealing with or the condition of said gear. U.S. Audio Mart is also a good place. I think we have a thread around here listing all the decent places to buy used gear.

Just to be fair too....F1NUT didn't post that saying it was the cheapest or only place to look for a P3 either. It was simply a suggestion.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Realistic wrote: »
    Thanks a lot guys, well I am not a guy with money so I have to chose wisely that's why I come here you guys are great. There are no local techs to recap my receiver so it would have to be sent out. My system is for music only, I have monitor 10s and sda 2s and love them both very much I mainly use the sda 2s though. I like the external blue tooth I have hooked into the old receiver and I have my daughters old apple phone that is loaded up with music its not a active phone I just use it for my music. Everything I own none of you would use I would imagine but here they are. Lafayette LR-9090 receiver, Project one receiver, Toshiba receiver, Harman Kardon receiver, onkyo tx-sv343 receiver, audio control c 101 series 2 eq, jvc kd 75 tape deck, pioneer audio timer, I just use it as a clock the thing is just cool to look at. Sony cdp-xe 500, pioneer pl-200 turntable. Pioneer cs-603 speakers, cerwin vega d-9s, gave the d-9s to my son. Thanks again everyone here is and has been a great help to me.

The Lafayette's certainly have some good sound to them. Depending on your budget, if it's under 500 bucks I'd suggest a used B&k receiver like the 307 or 505-507. Not only do you get a very good sounding pre-amp in them, you also get a darn fine dac for playing your digital music and connections up the wahoo. New these were over 3k but now on the used markets run 3-500.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Realistic
    Options
    I have the amplifier it came today. Im very happy.
  • boston1450
    Options
    Congrats :) How does it sound ?
    Randy/Maine
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,339
    Options
    If you are patient, you can find a good deal on Parasound on Craigs or ebay. I got my PLD-1100 for $125 and it is like new with remote. I doubt this thing was hardly used as it seems to be breaking in for me. The sound seemed very constrained at first but the sound stage has opened up nicely.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • tonyb
    Options
    Also a very good pre for the coin. ^^^^

Most the vintage pre's, and a lot of current ones however don't have dacs in them. Something you should consider seeing what your using as a source for music. Older HT pre/pros also work well as a pre amp with quality dacs in them and can be had cheap on the used markets.

If all you want is a pre, I'd still look for a B&k ref 30 or 50. They are HT processors but the pre amp section and dacs are pretty good in them. Others to look for are older classe or Anthem. Trust me, your musical enjoyment will improve big time.

Because of the source your using, anything without a dac in it is going to rely on the cheap ones built into your portable devices. Not exactly a recipe for good sound imho.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's